IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

3 hours ago, Justmurrayed said:

Our kids names will be from children's books. I'm currently cooking a little girl who's name will be Lucy obviously after the Narnia series which is my favourite book series! 

I love that. When I was little I was determined that I was going to have four kids named Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Peter is still my favorite boy's name (so many other literary Peters too!) and I do actually have a cousin named Lucy, after the Narnia character.

Regarding names and Narnia, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has a great opening line:

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it.

:pb_lol:

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

Kaylee's pretty popular, but River, hmm... He is a Whovian... :my_biggrin:

The best curse I ever saw in that regard was "May the person who cancelled Firefly spend eternity watching Jersey Shore reruns!"

For you:

Spoiler

20161229_052731.thumb.png.dc9a4c83bd973c34fae3fc31f9e8149c.png

and1b76e9962155b3273f0f8fa9643453cf--firefly-serenity-dear-god.jpg.95655e5a38a7c2a0843329f1ce1a6b9c.jpg

8 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Nothing is weird about it. I predict it will become popular in a few years due to the Percy Jackson books. That and Annabelle. However, in my house my child is a huge fan of horror movies so I always think of that wretched doll when I see the name Annabelle.

Except that Percy Jackson's girlfriend isn't named Annabelle. Her name is Annabeth Chase. (But Percy likes to call her Wise Girl. ;) )

On Harry Potter names, we've decided to keep it to pets and found out about two other HP named pets this weekend. One of Mr. C's friends just got a shelter dog named Lucky who is now Felix. The other made me unreasonably happy, there's massive dog on our block that I always double take at, because it looks like a bear on a leash. The owner's really considerate about stepping off the path and having him sit when people go by. It turns out massive pup is named Hagrid and it's so beyond perfect only my minor fear of big dogs kept me contained.

I've had a soft spot for Russian names since I took it as my foreign language in uni. Especially Yuri, Dascha and Anastasia (lots of nickname possibilities). 

11 hours ago, JordynDarby5 said:

I'd never judge anyone for their obsession when it comes to books, TV and/or movies. I have plenty obsessions of my own when it comes to all three groups. 

King Arthur: Arthur, Guinevere, Tristian, Isolde, Morgan, Vivian, Elaine, Mark, Merlin, Pervical, and Enid.                      There's so many great Russian names! Anya, Olga, Irina, Natasha, Natalia, Tatiana, Sonya, Dimtri, Andrei, Sofya, Katerina, Nadia, and more.                               

I actually chose the name Morgan for the pregnancy I lost. Everyone is different, but I personally felt weird referring to the pregnancy as “it” or “the pregnancy” and the name Morgan has a personal connection to my family (a ship.) I also really liked that it was gender neutral since we didn’t know the baby’s sex and I liked the Morgan Le Fay connection too. 

Our daughter’s name is either Latin or Hebrew in origin, but it’s a very commonly used name throughout Europe and in Spanish-speaking countries (though its normally spelled with only one “n” in some places.) It popped up a lot on the German side of my family - the Tolstoy connection was just a sweet bonus. I like that it’s short, super easy to spell, easy to pronounce in multiple languages, and the family connection. 

On 17.11.2017 at 4:37 PM, church_of_dog said:

I recently read the obituary for an elderly man who was fairly prominent in my community.  He was known as Shorty.  I was surprised to read in the obituary that this nickname had started while he was an infant!  I guess those kinds of nicknames are not as common anymore as they were 80 years ago, but nicknames can carry through school years, or at least past the teasing age.

I am 52 years old and everyone calls me by the nickname I got when I was 2 years old (Nani), even though I have a beautiful first name "Tatjana" (IMHO)  ;) 

10 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

For you:

Except that Percy Jackson's girlfriend isn't named Annabelle. Her name is Annabeth Chase. (But Percy likes to call her Wise Girl. ;) )

Haha!  Anna something, lol!!!!!   So much for being a WiseGirl in this literary sense!  That damned doll has me inside out - I hate horror movies!

Oh and is bad if when I saw Lucy, I thought as in Peanuts, not Narnia?  Lifetime Peanuts fan and yes I did my make my Peanut Movie avatar on FB.  :pb_lol:

On November 16, 2017 at 1:38 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I'm not a fan of made up spellings for names, it doesn't make you original it makes your child spend the rest of his or her life explaining how to pronounce their name. I inadvertently did this to my daughter, her name is spelled with a G as the more traditional Galic/Celtic/English what ever it is that I can't recall off the top of my head, as apposed to the  Americanized J. It is pronounced with a soft G sound but it gets forever butchered and it drives her batty. 

I have a friend who gave her daughter a boys name, a misspelled boys name and gets mad when people 1 assume the child is male, and 2 mispronounces the name.  Well then don't name your child after a lawn implement and pronounce it different and you won't have that problem.

Okay, I have to guess:  (feel free to not confirm, esp. the first since it's your own kid)

a) is Gillian.  

B) I"m a little stumped... Rayke?  Fynce?  Mowwer?  LOL!  

On November 17, 2017 at 10:57 AM, justoneoftwo said:

For us girl names are super hard.  We want traditional, but not too common.  Ideally with lots of nickname options to the kid gets a choice.  And ideally with a gender neutral nickname option.  Haven't found a girls name yet that is perfect.  (LO is a boy, his name was super easy, but if we have a girl later no idea!)

Maybe look at names that were popular/ common around 40-70 years ago but aren't as big at the moment.  Off the top of my head (given your other constraint about wanting nickname options) - Rebecca (Beck), Meredith, Michelle, Stephanie (Steph), Louisa (Lou), Michaela (Mickey), or for your gender-neutral nickname do initials like AJ or JD.  

On November 18, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Rachel333 said:

I've seen twin names where one is the other name in reverse, like Aidan and Nadia (Diana also has the same letters, though in a different order), 

I know a family where their 2 kids (not twins) are Aidan and  Diana, and yes, the parents did know about the anagram when they named the 2nd one.

I know more pairs will trickle into my brain once I actually post this, but off the top of my head, some of the twin pairs I've met - 

people currently in their late 40s - Lisa/Lori; Debbie/Julie; Matthew/ Adam

currently in their 30s - Joshua/Jeremy

currently in their teens - Eva/Emily; Matthew/Adam (yes, 2nd pair I've known); James/Jerry; Gregory/Michaela; Luke/Jacob;  Jack/Maddie (I think they are Jackson and Madison); Ben/Grace. 

Fewer same-initial than not, but it's a good percentage that are.

For those of you who haven't had kids yet and want something fresh and unique - please do yourselves a favor and look over the data lists of the top 20 or top 100 names for several years previous to when you have your children.  I've had several friends who, for example, thought "Jacob" was pretty uncommon, only to find that it ended up being the #1 name for the year their son was born (and they later told me that their girl choice would have been "Emily", the #1 girl choice for that same year, which they wouldn't have picked if they had known how popular it was). 

Our criteria for names were 1) traditional names... nothing that had been invented or newly brought to the English language in the last 40 or more years, and 2) not in the top 20.  

Among my siblings, we have four Biblical names, two Yiddish names, two modern Hebrew names, and one Alexander. All named for dead relatives, per Ashkenazi Jewish tradition. None of us have middle names.

I don't know if I'm going to follow the pattern (I'm single anyway). Naming for people is a nice tradition when done voluntarily; when you don't have a choice it becomes constricting. Also, you end up with multiple cousins with the same names...

Side track: the more I see of Austin the less I like him and the more controlling he seems.

back on track: I named my son something that I loved, had never heard before, and didn't see on any top 20 list only for it to make it's grand appearance on many baby name suggestion articles right after he was born and it's rapidly climbing the charts... oh well I still love it. 

I could see joy and Austin Naming their baby something nature-ish or natural sounding. I don't think they'll get to crazy with the spelling though joy seems a little down to earth and Austin seems pretty traditional

19 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Thinking back on twins (other than my classmates):

I knew a Candy/Mandy; Tom/Jerry; Tim/Tom; Celia/Celeste. 

Ah yes, Timothy and Tomothy. :pb_lol:

2 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Haha!  Anna something, lol!!!!!   So much for being a WiseGirl in this literary sense!  That damned doll has me inside out - I hate horror movies!

Oh and is bad if when I saw Lucy, I thought as in Peanuts, not Narnia?  Lifetime Peanuts fan and yes I did my make my Peanut Movie avatar on FB.  :pb_lol:

I grew up one town over from the Warrens. I’ve never visited their museum, but my honest opinion? I enjoyed the recent movies based off their stories, but I also think their stories are exaggerated at best and a crock of bullshit at worst. 

The movies have greatly exaggerated Annabelle’s appearance as well. In reality, she’s a pretty normal looking Raggedy Ann doll.  

https://www.google.com/amp/www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/annabelle/

On 11/18/2017 at 3:05 PM, DarkAnts said:

Except his name is Carl not Coral. 

It's because Rick's accent is so thick he says the name like "Coral." No one actually thinks his name is Coral.

I could see with Joy and Austin going with Biblical/attributive/vaguely trendy for a girl (Grace, Faith, Hope, Verity, Ever) or continuing the double/hyphenated first name like Joy-Anna (Mary-Grace, Verity-Faith, Hope-Abigail), and SUPER-traditional/Biblical for a boy (Ezekiel, Matthias, Isaac, Isaiah). Though I could see her not going with Ezekiel so that Jill can "reserve" it (since I think Derick seemed to like sticking with the "el" ending - and I will be severely disappointed if that doesn't eventually lead to Jor-El Duggar).

Twins I taught (that I can remember):

Jacob/Matthew, Ray (Jr)/Ryan, Kimberly/Jason, Holly/Heidi, Caleb/Joshua, Karen/Megan, Elijah/Jeremiah

Twin children of my friends: Jonathan/Thomas, Aidan/Bryce, Jonathan/Alyssa, Luke/Janae, Kasey/Charley (both girls). 

So, yeah, two with same first letter and those are in the oldest of the list. 

I don't mind twin names starting with the same letter or matching a bit but they shouldn't be over the top. Leah and Corey from Teen Mom 2 named their twins Aliannah Hope and Aleeah Grace, they are to similar and their middle names match, no wonder Aleeah goes by the name Gracie now. Then she had to name her other daughter Adalynn Faith. Individually the names are OK, apart from the spelling Aleeah but together it is over the top for the first and middle names to match all three girls.

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

Kimberly/Jason

If they weren't named after the power rangers, I will be so disappointed.  Please don't ruin it for me if you know!

If they weren't named after the power rangers, I will be so disappointed.  Please don't ruin it for me if you know!

They would have been born prior to that. They are from my first year of teaching which would make them...somewhere in the neighborhood of 37 years old.

And now that I figured that out I feel super old!

Again I really hate my name but I'm super glad that my parents didn't want me and my twin brother to have matching names cause we have that whole "we are two independent people and want to keep it that way even though people refer to us as a single entity".

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived