IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

5 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

Makes me wonder how similar the husbands look to each other — and not sure if I would find a strong similarity to be funny or squicky, lol...

Well apparently they both married jerks who left them and now they and their 7 children between them all live in their childhood home with their mother and grandmother. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The power of suggestion can be strange. I look a lot like my mother and people always said my sister looked a lot like my father. But when she was 16 we were informed she wasn’t Dad’s biological child - my parents didn’t even meet til she was 2.

When my sister and I lived in the same city, we were mistaken for each other on a fairly regular basis. It would even happen with people who had known us for years. Sometimes they would spend several minutes talking to one of us, thinking we were the other one. Sometimes they wouldn't even figure it out until we realized they thought we were the other one and corrected them. They were always extremely embarrassed, but we thought it was funny and weren't offended at all. We've also been asked occasionally if we're twins.

We're not twins. And the weird thing is, I don't even think we look that much alike. But obviously to other people we look almost identical. It's bizarre. 

There are several sets of identical twins in my family, but none have cute matchy names. One set looks so alike I can only tell them apart by their wives. The others all look very similar to each other, but having been part of the family for so long, they don't look alike to me at all.

I have a client who has identical twin sisters. They both married men who look similar. They both have 2 kids each. The kids look like one another because they look like their mother's. 

One of my mom's friend has two daughters who aren't twins but their sons look identical. Its amazing. Everyone is constantly asking if their twins. As they grow up they still look identical. Both sisters have other children and they don't look a like. Just the two boys.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:27 AM, SeekingAdventure said:

well, in my village there's twin boys named Phillip and Filip. Everytime I see them (they're over 18 now, and they are not the smartest in the bunch - either) I wonder what their parents smoked all throughout the pregnancy so that they could not produce TWO different names. You pronounce it the very same, too. It's so weird.

This is bad. Our neighbors named their twin girls Diane and Diana, which we thought quite lame.  Phillip and Filip is even worse. 

4 hours ago, Rio said:

This is bad. Our neighbors named their twin girls Diane and Diana, which we thought quite lame.  Phillip and Filip is even worse. 

My friend works in a school where they had twins named Jessica and Jessika. 

5 hours ago, Jana814 said:

My friend works in a school where they had twins named Jessica and Jessika. 

No!

I thought that it was bad when I went to school with an Amy and a Jamie (identical girls) but this one takes the cake.

I am surprised we still see such matchy matchy names for twins.  It adds a layer of stifling to your kids finding their own identity. 

There is the extreme case where your child is transgender and needs to select a new name and has enough to face without breaking up a Candy/Sandy duo. 

The lesser but more common case is the natural evolution of nicknames, i.e. using initials or a middle name.  I had a friend Sabrina, during her life she went by both Sabby and Bri, both had stories behind them. I know an Elizabeth who has a family nickname, a professional name and casual one she introduces herself as. 

Giving them unique names allows them to adjust more naturally over their life.  Getting to know them, and the stories behind the affectionate nicknames is part of the adventure that unfolds for both of you. Why would you want to miss that adventure?

Giving twins the same name but with a different spelling is stupid. I thought Jeremiah and Jedidiah were too similar for twins but at least their nicknames Jer and Jed are a bit distinctive.  

On 11/18/2017 at 10:45 PM, melon said:

My grandmother's name was Frances.She HATED her nickname "Fannie".She even said she did  not think it a name for a little girl...but a name for something else...lol.

At the risk of doxing myself, my middle name is Frances, after my great-grandmother. She was a force to be reckoned with, and when my mother presented me to her and told gran that she had named me for her, she quipped: “I always hated that name!”

As an adult, I actually really love it. I had the option to move my maiden name to my middle name when I got married, but I couldn’t bear to part with it, so I just changed my last name. But I really love formidable Victorian girl’s name that sound like they belong on suffragettes or debutantes. 

OK, so my last 10 days have been crazy.  My husband had open heart surgery ( doing fine now btw), and i have been sitting in a hospital with him for days.  Anyway,  I don't have the time to go through pages and pages of posts, but I see all these posts about twins, and just wondering,  Is Joy having Twins?  or is this just the usual FJ thread drift?

Thanks,

4 hours ago, Glasgowghirl said:

Giving twins the same name but with a different spelling is stupid. I thought Jeremiah and Jedidiah were too similar for twins but at least their nicknames Jer and Jed are a bit distinctive.  

I hate how they call him Jeer instead of Jer. It's always gotten on my nerves.

15 minutes ago, calimojo said:

OK, so my last 10 days have been crazy.  My husband had open heart surgery ( doing fine now btw), and i have been sitting in a hospital with him for days.  Anyway,  I don't have the time to go through pages and pages of posts, but I see all these posts about twins, and just wondering,  Is Joy having Twins?  or is this just the usual FJ thread drift?

Thanks,

@calimojo Glad to hear hubby is doing well, and yes the twins it usual thread drift.  JA&A haven't said anything about gender or number of offspring or due dates at all. 

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

Thanks,

Healing thoughts for your hubs and family!

14 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

From the Thanksgiving photos, looks like Joy and Austin spent their holiday with the Forsyths. They aren't in any of the pics.

I figured they might do that. The Forsyth family is pretty small, so their celebration would probably feel lonely without Austin. And it looks like the Duggar household had plenty of attendees! :pb_lol: Maybe Joy and Austin will alternate years or something.

I also saw on the fundamentalist wiki page that Austin’s mom’s birthday is the 23rd of November which was thanksgiving day, so that’s probably why they spent it with the Forsyths

9 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

I also saw on the fundamentalist wiki page that Austin’s mom’s birthday is the 23rd of November which was thanksgiving day, so that’s probably why they spent it with the Forsyths

Whew! Dodged a Fundie birthday again but just barely...

On 11/25/2017 at 10:18 PM, calimojo said:

Thanks,

I know I'm a newbie here, but I hope for the best for your husband and you too. :my_heart:

17 hours ago, VBOY9977 said:

Happy Birthday, Austin's Mom! Austin's Mom is a Godly encourager and helpmeet with a servant's heart for the Lord and we cannot wait to see what the Lord has in store for her this year.

On 11/20/2017 at 8:38 AM, LiterallyBananas said:

I know this sounds super creepy, but I love walking through old cemeteries. I'm definitely not opposed to naming a future kiddo something I found on (or was inspired by) a gravestone.

I worked for Vital Records in my state for a time and it was fascinating to see names on both birth and death records. Reorganizing our death records was the best project I've ever had because of all the interesting names and causes of death dating back to I think 1917 or 1918...so interesting. I have so many stories I can't tell!

When we visited Mr Ways family in Australia someone thought that Miniway and his cousin were twins. Mr Way and his brother are not twins and don't look that much alike. His wife is from an asian country and their son looks like an asian version of his dad. Miniway looks like the boy version of me. Blonde and fair skinned. It might have just been becuse they shared a stroller. We all thought it was funny. 

I did just read an article about twin girls with different skin colour though so it is possible. 

On November 23, 2017 at 6:16 PM, singsingsing said:

When my sister and I lived in the same city, we were mistaken for each other on a fairly regular basis. It would even happen with people who had known us for years. Sometimes they would spend several minutes talking to one of us, thinking we were the other one. Sometimes they wouldn't even figure it out until we realized they thought we were the other one and corrected them. They were always extremely embarrassed, but we thought it was funny and weren't offended at all. We've also been asked occasionally if we're twins.

We're not twins. And the weird thing is, I don't even think we look that much alike. But obviously to other people we look almost identical. It's bizarre. 

This happens to me and both my sisters so often that we practically answer to each others names. People assume we are twins or triplets often, and strangers frequently ask if we are. We're not. I don't think we even look THAT much alike! I think at least part of it must be mannerisms, maybe. 

Although I am frequently told that I take much more after my father than my mother, especially in personality, while the other two are more like my mother.  We just shrug it off and laugh a little. Nobody who isn't a very close friend can remember which of us is which. I thought dying part of my hair pink would help, but nope!

It seems kind of strange to have so few pregnant Duggars. I'd really love to see a special in a few years where JimBob and Michelle are asked to name all their kids and grandkids. Maybe that's part of why they stuck with the J theme... easier to remember if you already know the first initial. (And before I realized how terrible Josh was, I thought it was very sweet that after all the J names he chose to use M for his kids.)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived