IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I don't think anyone's claiming that people don't give twins matching names - obviously they do. We're just pointing out that we personally haven't met any (or don't know many).

By matching names they start with the same letter or they rhyme or something else?  I was thinking of all the twins I went school with and know (all 7 sets) and all of them with the exception of one set have names that start with the same letter.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

By matching names they start with the same letter or they rhyme or something else?  I was thinking of all the twins I went school with and know (all 7 sets) and all of them with the exception of one set have names that start with the same letter.

I can only think of two sets of twins that I taught that had same letter names. And no rhyming ones at all. I have friends with twins --five sets among three friends and none have similar names at all. I think that trend is slowing at least. 

My mother's best friends in high school were a set of twins with rhyming names. Fun fact: One died in a car accident at 23 and the other became a crazy raving fundie who treats my mother like shit when they see each other because mom is not a fundie and was married to a Catholic. Mom continues to take the high road with her which is beyond my comprehension and should qualify her for sainthood. 

On 11/16/2017 at 5:04 PM, Eternalbluepearl said:

Okay, now I'm really curious what everyone's favorite baby names are. 

My hands-down favorite "this is what I want to name a potential daughter" names were Lucy (part liking the name, part Narnia reference) and Zoe (nice meaning, plus I'm a Firefly fan and want to encourage a daughter to have a media role model who kicks ass). Husband hated both. Sigh.

His first picks for a boy were very Italian, which makes sense since that's half his heritage, but I wasn't really fond of Vincenzo or Giuseppe, though one of the other ones made it into our choice for a second boy.

We ended up settling on family names, ones that were a little old-fashioned and not too popular. The first pick girl's name is at least a reference to both a family member and a book character, neither of whom played strictly by the rules. We ended up with first-pick boy's name (now Little NQ's), second-pick boy's name, first-pick girl's name, and a tentative second-pick girl's name. If/when we have another baby, it'll be given either the second-pick boy's or the first-pick girl's; drove a couple friends and family members nuts when we wouldn't tell them the girl's name because we might want to use it later! 

The only exception to the "rules" we have is our second-pick girl's name. The first name I love, but it's incredibly popular. The middle name is straight outta Lord of the Rings without even a pretense of being a family name.

All the names are traditionally spelled, just because I don't want my children to have to spend their life excessively clarifying pronunciation and spelling, nor do I want to inflict that on a world of teachers and people doing data entry. I've been the one trying to figure out whether I'm looking at an unusual name or poor handwriting/a typo, and it sucks.

18 hours ago, cascarones said:

I worked with a pair of twins whose names were one letter off (like Neil and Nell, Brandon and Branson) and the constant need to redirect email/invites sent to the wrong person was the bane of work husband's existence since he popped up first.

The worst case of that I've ever seen was a pair of twin girls. They had the same birthdate, of course, and their social security numbers were one number off. Same last name. Standard twin stuff. What made it really fun, especially for anyone trying to do a credit check or verify their identity, was that they had the same first name and extremely similar (within a few letters) middle names. I have no idea whether their parents were even thinking at all when they named them, let alone what.

3 hours ago, mstee said:

I met a girl a while back with twin boys- Elijah and Elishah. I️ feel like that would get old quickly unless they went by nicknames or middle names, but she said they didn’t. 

There's a kid's book, Baby Island, where a pair of male twins were Elisha and Elijah- justified in the story by their parents being missionaries. Wonder if she read that book?

I accidentally deleted one quote that I meant to add here, regarding multiple family members with the same name. We have that here. My dad and grandfather are a senior and a junior. My brother had the same first name, albeit with a different middle name. My mom's name is actually a feminized version of the same name. And then I married a man with the same name! (And that doesn't include variations of the name/middle names/more far-flung relatives.) We get around it with nicknames...

My own identical twin sisters have full names that are very different with nicknames that, while not rhyming and with different first letters, do sound kind of similar.

I wouldn't do this to actual kids (maybe cats?), but I think the idea of having twins named Thalia and Melpomene would be kind of cool. :pb_lol: (Those are the Greek muses of comedy and tragedy, as in the famous masks.)

I've seen twin names where one is the other name in reverse, like Aidan and Nadia (Diana also has the same letters, though in a different order), Leon and Noel, Axel and Lexa, or Aron and Nora. As I was googling that I saw someone comment that their triplets are named Celia, Alice, and Lacie, which all have the same letters.

Online I've seen several sets of twins named Nevaeh and Natasha, which is kind of funny to me because Nevaeh is "Heaven" backwards and Natasha backwards is "Ah Satan." :pb_lol:

In the Christian world Joshua and Caleb seem to be popular choices for twin boys.

58 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Both. Off the top of my head, twins I've known have been named Amy and Sarah, Katie and Sarah, David and Christopher, Nicholas and Graham, Courtney and Brittany... I've never known twins whose names rhyme, start with the same letter, or seem to match in any way. I guess Brittany and Courtney would be the closest because they both end in -y but I really wouldn't count that as matching.

Another really common naming theme you see with twins and more is names starting with A, B, and so on, since when multiples are born the hospital labels them as "Baby A," "Baby B," etc. Whenever I meet twins with names like that I assume the one with the A name was born first, and the times I've asked I've always been correct.

25 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I wouldn't do this to actual kids (maybe cats?), but I think the idea of having twins named Thalia and Melpomene would be kind of cool. :pb_lol: (Those are the Greek muses of comedy and tragedy, as in the famous masks.)

I wrote a short story involving a cat named Thalia as in the comic muse, and when it was workshopped nobody thought it was a credible name for a cat either :my_sad:

I like it.

@allthegoodnamesrgoneMatching twin names I'd say would be names like (from the list posted), Gabriella and Isabella, Isabella and Elizabeth, Makayla and Makenzie, Mia and Mya, Annabella and Isabella, Chloe and Zoe, Jada and Jade, Kayla and Kylie, Serenity and Trinity

and 

Taylor and Tyler, Jayda/Jada and Jayden, Brian and Brianna, Michael and Michelle, Oliver and Olivia, Jayla and Jaylen 

and 

Jayden and Jaylen, Jayden and Kayden, Taylor and Tyler 

Most of them being the same name twice, just in a different form. 

As a teacher, I use initials a lot in my record keeping. Thank you very much parents for MF, BM, and others. They always give me a chuckle or wtf moment when grading, depending on my mood.

As a parent check out the ease of using first, middle, and last name together. I guarantee you will be using all three, especially during teen years (with possible a tone of annoyance or anger).

54 minutes ago, AprilQuilt said:

I wrote a short story involving a cat named Thalia as in the comic muse, and when it was workshopped nobody thought it was a credible name for a cat either :my_sad:

I like it.

Seriously? I have friends who have a daughter named Thalia. It's a lovely name. What so weird about it?

I'm sure most of y'all have seen this but I couldn't resist, as some people have mentioned using literary characters for their children's names. 

:pb_lol:

IMG_1067.JPG

It's interesting because I've been pregnant many times (more than I'd like to think about) and to me it's kind of odd to have the hand there unless you are taking a photo and you want to show the shape of the bump. The natural resting place for me was always on top, not on the underside of it. But I guess we all do it differently.
I catch myself resting my hand on the underside of my belly with some frequency and I've never been pregnant. It came up two days ago when I was telling a friend from a professional setting that I had news but had to wait to make the big announcement. I have a HUGE promotion I was talking about, but had my hand on my belly and she completely misinterpreted it as a pregnancy and I had to backtrack all over.

I've know twins that had matchy names, started with the same letter and ones who started with different names. Matching names kinds of I don't mind unless its Sara and Tara, Dean and Jean, Terry and Kerry, or Polly and Molly types. Then it doesn't really seem like your giving them their own name. I've known couples who picked out a name and searched through tons of names of the same letter because they had to match. Why? If your going through all the A names then you really don't seem like your really like any of those names. If it turns out you love Alexandra and Adrienne? Then that's great go with them. But don't search all the A names because you like Alexandra and her twin's name must start with an A. 

Movie names? Well for me that would be Leia. I've never actually seen Lord of the Rings but I like Arwen and Galadriel. From Disney Ariel, Aurora, and Tiana 

TV shows: Lorelai, Piper, Alexis

Roman/Greek myths: Athena, Hera, Luna, Andromeda, Persephone, Selene, Apollo, Ares, Hermes, Gaia, Charon, Nyx, Iris

Authors: Marlowe, Poe, 

There's so many great names out there. 

Are there any baby names you used to like but don't anymore? Or ones you disliked but now like? 

So I love the name Selah and Atara for girls. I also love the name Millie and Mabel.  If I had a girl,  I would love to give them my first name.  I'm a sucker for Tove too! 

Boys are harder for me. I see them with norse names for some reason. Soren is one of my fave names (bonus is that it is the derivative of Severus, HP reference for the win!).  I also love the name August which is a family name. I want to honor my dad with his first name as middle name which is Peter. 

I do want to give my children my last name as a middle name. Yes, my child(ren) will have four names, bite me. 

I'm a twin and my brother and I have the same first initial.  Come to think of it I can't think of many twins I know who match initials.  As far as future baby names I like Paisley and Eislee for a girl.  I like Mason for a boy and Roman.  As far as middle names I'd  like to use a family name 

2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Another really common naming theme you see with twins and more is names starting with A, B, and so on, since when multiples are born the hospital labels them as "Baby A," "Baby B," etc. Whenever I meet twins with names like that I assume the one with the A name was born first, and the times I've asked I've always been correct.

I knew a family- parents and 4 kids- that has names starting A, B, C and X, Y, Z.

You'd think the end of the alphabet would be the problem/contrived part, but it was the parents who were actually the Y and the Z.

Mind you, better that than 21 'J's....

If I have kids (which I’m not planning on), I could definitely see myself naming them after fictional characters. However, I would go with names that people wouldn’t automatically associate with fictional characters. For example, if I named a daughter Hermione, people would probably assume that she was named after the Harry Potter character. However, if I named a daughter Molly (after Mrs. Weasley), most people wouldn’t make the connection unless I told them.

I like the names Molly, Harper, Diana, and Eleanor for a girl and Richard, Jack, Logan, and Matthew for a boy.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

Seriously? I have friends who have a daughter named Thalia. It's a lovely name. What so weird about it?

I don't know. It was distracting somehow. I think maybe in short fiction that sort of thing comes across as clutter.

My own cat at the time was called Tallulah which is pretty similar and I'd never thought it odd. I agree, though, it's a lovely name. 

48 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

My favorite name for a girl is Coral. I do not have a favorite name for a boy yet.

I always think of The Walking Dead when I see the word "Coral"

6f2.jpg

18 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I always think of The Walking Dead when I see the word "Coral"

6f2.jpg

Except his name is Carl not Coral. 

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

We are specifically not doing this! Baby B's name starts with an A and baby A's name will start with an S. When we chose the A name my one condition was that we use it for baby B.

I initially wanted to name the Fred and George, but this was quickly shot down.

34 minutes ago, DarkAnts said:

Except his name is Carl not Coral. 

They pronounce it coral on the show, that's part of the joke on the memes :my_biggrin:

4 hours ago, NotQuiteMotY said:

and Zoe (nice meaning, plus I'm a Firefly fan and want to encourage a daughter to have a media role model who kicks ass). Husband hated both. Sigh.

Did you run "River" and "Kaylee" by him? :) Man, that was a great show. I still haven't forgiven Fox.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived