IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

27 minutes ago, finnlassie said:

I'm likely going to sound dumb, but what does the whole Kool Aid stuff mean? If it's already up somewhere, sorry, I've not really navigated this site more than just checking this Duggars subforum (for like... 3 years, lol) and I'm still learning how to steer around this forum. Like, it took me a while to realise that the random loud DING noises I was getting were notification sounds... and it was a journey to figure out how to get rid of it.:my_confused:

Kool Aid is a reference to the Jonestown massacre,  where the leader, Jim Jones,  poisoned his entire group with poison laced koolaid back in teh '70's.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/adst/the-jonestown-massacre_b_8592338.html 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, karen77 said:

Kool Aid is a reference to the Jonestown massacre,  where the leader, Jim Jones,  poisoned his entire group with poison laced koolaid back in teh '70's.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/adst/the-jonestown-massacre_b_8592338.html 

Oooh! I've been obsessed with cults for the past 10 years so I knew about this, but didn't think to connect the two! Thanks.

@allthegoodnamesrgone Thank you for the explanation too, missed it since it was on the previous page. I've tasted Kool-Aid when I was in the US 4 years ago. Not my thing, it has such an artificial tint to it.

Psst... It wasn't Kool-Aid in Jonestown (which happened on my 12th birthday so yay me).

It was FlavorAid. :)

22 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Psst... It wasn't Kool-Aid in Jonestown (which happened on my 12th birthday so yay me).

A cheapo Kool-Aid?

I need to get back to my cult game. I can't remember if Cults podcast already went through Jamestown or not... totally recommend it to people though, Jesus Christ do people get freaky and use Jesus Christ in their cultist shenanigans.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

@finnlassie - yes. There are myriad Kool-Aid knockoffs. :) 

It's hard to imagine something worse than Kool-Aid. Assuming the knockoff is even worse... they usually are.

27 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Well of course, why spend the money on the real thing if you are just going to lace it with Cyanide anyway.

Just now, finnlassie said:

It's hard to imagine something worse than Kool-Aid. Assuming the knockoff is even worse... they usually are.

I'm pretty sure it is an acquired taste, I had a childhood affection for Cherry flavored, so much so I lied to my Sunday school teacher to avoid drinking the nasty grape flavored. :pb_lol:  Though if you mix grape flavored with a high proof grain alcohol it makes for an amazingly wonderful cheap college party drink.

I'm no fan of drinking Kool Aid, but I have a good recipe for popsicles that uses Kool Aid and Jell-O. It isn't even slightly nutritious, but they taste good! :my_biggrin: 

I actually think it's kind of weird that people talk about "drinking the Kool-Aid" so casually when it's a reference to hundreds of people dying horribly.

On youtube (I think) there was a recording of Jim Jones telling his followers that the end had come for them and that they needed to do the thing. Some tried to reason with him, asked about not killing the children, but he was adamant.  Interesting if emotionally draining recording.

Do I spy a fellow StarKid Productions fan in this thread? Trail To Oregon is a jewel, as is Firebringer. Oh, and Holy Musical B@tman.  :D 

5 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

Do I spy a fellow StarKid Productions fan in this thread? Trail To Oregon is a jewel, as is Firebringer. Oh, and Holy Musical B@tman.  :D 

Your senses tingle the right way! I rediscovered them again in the past week and have had an absolute blast. Twisted was just... amazing. AH-MAY-ZENG. As was Trail To Oregon. Mouthface is a dahlin'

How could I forget about Twisted? lol It should be required viewing for... well just about anyone. especially Disney fans. 

1 minute ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

How could I forget about Twisted? lol It should be required viewing for... well just about anyone. especially Disney fans. 

The beginning cracked me up so much with the Beauty and the Beast reference.

I have to admit, I was browsing FreeJinger while watching Trail to Oregon... the God reference stuff just... made me do it. LOL.

3 minutes ago, TheOneAndOnly said:

By God's command we'll make our stand in...Wisconsin? lol

I actually picked this as my avatar for FreeJinger because she looks so fundie in her dress... but dear God she's the complete opposite. :my_angel:

Just now, VineHeart137 said:

Not gonna lie, must be nice to be able to fly yourself places.

Let's hope these people are fully competent and that all maintenance is thorough, and completed according to the letter of the law.

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

Not gonna lie, must be nice to be able to fly yourself places.

I have to say that Joy looks really beautiful here. Glasses suit her!

And yeah. My best friend's hubby's in the airforce as a jet fighter, so he had the money to do a proper private flying licence too... sometimes I am a tad jealous when they post selfies from their private little trips! They only do it once a year though since renting a plane isn't exactly free. :my_biggrin:

Our friends have their own plane and they live in an awesome community that has driveways at the front of the houses and hangars/taxiways at the back of the houses. They're always going here/there/yon...

J.E.A.L.O.U.S.

There's a neighborhood like that near the town where we used to live in AR, right near an upscale resort. Planes that small make me nervous!!

It's super convenient but I hate those small planes. If you at all have the tendency to get motion sick they are an utter disaster. 

3 minutes ago, AtlanticTug said:

It's super convenient but I hate those small planes. If you at all have the tendency to get motion sick they are an utter disaster. 

I have terrible anxiety and am extremely risk averse. You couldn't pay me to get into one of those planes.

I personally wouldn't ride in one, unfortunately of the four families I've known that have owned them (many ex military pilots) all have had fatal crashes, some including children like my friend in 2rd grade who went up for a birthday flight before her sleepover. The father, who was the provider in every case, was killed and many life insurance policies specifically exclude aviation accidents, so there's a lot of extra burden on top of losing a loved one.

Of course that's availability bias, but even perfectly kept up to date with all maintenance small planes are impacted far heavier by weather changes and disturbances.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived