IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

35 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

I knew a set of twins in high school (they were born in 1988) who had names that traditionally start with C but their parents started them with K instead. One of the twins eventually continued the tradition with her son's name as well.

Changing traditional C names to start with a K is my pet hate, I jokingly blamed the Kardashians for it earlier in the thread. Some names can be spelled with both but other names just look stupid. 

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2017 at 11:09 PM, candygirl200413 said:

Slightly off-topic, is it comfortable when you get bigger to lay your hand underneath? It actually never hit me to think about that till I saw a few of those who posted the pictures.

I did, but I was mostly trying to lift babies off my bladder.

14 hours ago, tabitha2 said:

My fictional daughter would be Named Windsor Rose.

Because Named is capitalized I'm picturing a child whose name is "Named Windsor Rose" lol

7 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

We considered Elliot for baby #1 if she had been a boy

I know a toddler girl named Elliot and somehow I loooove the name for a girl, but I'm not a huge fan for a boy haha

2 hours ago, cascarones said:

I know they exist a plenty, but I've yet to meet twins whose names don't start with the same letter at the very least.

Mine don't. Though their names both end with -ett.

So many names! But with all the names available my MIL (I never met her, she died before DH and I met) had five children, three of them boys. She named the boys (not using real names), Max James, James Peter, Peter John! 

My daughters are adopted from China. At the time we adopted many parents would combine the child's existing first and middle name at the time of the adoption into their middle name (keep in mind that these were names assigned by the orphanage, not a birth parent). We did that with our first. Unless you speak Chinese nobody can pronounce it (It starts with X), but that's o.k. It's meaning is significant and we know how to say it! Our younger daughter had only a first and last name at the time of the adoption. We attempted to combine the names as we did with our older daughter. If we had her middle name would have been Fukun. Now, the correct pronunciation is Foo-Kwen, but you can see our dilemma. We shortened it to Kun since Fu was the surname.

2 minutes ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

My daughters are adopted from China. At the time we adopted many parents would combine the child's existing first and middle name at the time of the adoption into their middle name (keep in mind that these were names assigned by the orphanage, not a birth parent). We did that with our first. Unless you speak Chinese nobody can pronounce it (It starts with X), but that's o.k. It's meaning is significant and we know how to say it! Our younger daughter had only a first and last name at the time of the adoption. We attempted to combine the names as we did with our older daughter. If we had her middle name would have been Fukun. Now, the correct pronunciation is Foo-Kwen, but you can see our dilemma. We shortened it to Kun since Fu was the surname.

That's very good thing to do. I watch the little couple and their son was adopted from China and used his Chinese name as a middle name. 

2 hours ago, cascarones said:

I know they exist a plenty, but I've yet to meet twins whose names don't start with the same letter at the very least. I also don't know if that was merely an 80s thing.

Ours will have names that aren't related in any way except that we both liked the names. Different first letters and not at all related (as far as I know). I guess they have the same number of syllables, but that wasn't intentional. 

I'm a mid 80s baby and I knew a few sets of twins that had similar names, but more who didn't. Our approach was that they'll already have to share so much, they each get a name that's just theirs :) 

We also have a first name for a last name (ex. David) so that made choosing names even trickier.

Has the internet ever ruined a name for anyone? I saw this cute dress at a boutique, but it was labeled with the same name as a massive bitch on another forum I visit. I had to put it back. :pb_lol:

My grandmother and her twin have similar first names that were both typically nicknames with rhyming middle names. Think Vicky Leanne and Virgie Deanne, though the first names are even more similar. My aunt named her two daughters the full version of those names -- so like Victoria and Virginia -- and they went with different nicknames (like Tory and Ginny), so the naming pattern isn't terribly obvious. To make the rhyming worse, my grandmother and her twin were called Tikki and Takki. My great-grandmother also had a second set of girl-girl twins with even more rhyme-y names, though the surviving twin, like most of the people in that family, goes by a nickname -- "Twinkle" -- that has nothing to do with her given name.

4 hours ago, front hugs > duggs said:

My husband's middle name is his father's name. DH wants to repeat the tradition by having a future son's middle name as.....his father's name/my husband's middle name (instead of his own name like how his father named him). I don't like the name at all, but I wouldn't stand in the way of our future son having that family name. I just wish it would flow better with the names I would like for a son.

At least I know I have a few years to warm up to the idea!

We did something similar DS's middle name is his fathers name. Luckily it flows  nicely. 

The twin name thing must be regional it sounds like. Most of the twins I know were born/ raised in Texas, I'm sure I also know people and don't know they're a twin. One of the sets I went to school with mom's used to sigh and shake her head if we were watching Friends and Phoebe and Ursula came up. They were a Colt and Mustang pair, though she went by Misty, which she hated when Pokemon was big.

I don't think it's a regional thing. I've met twins with 'matching' names and twins without. Both in the Caribbean and New England. 

I also know a set of quads with two sets of matching twin names. 

There were three sets of twins in my graduating class:

James Calvin Smith, III and Donald Wayne Smith (what a crock of shit - the III is a dick and turned out to be a drug-abusing loser - and he's gay and not willing to adopt, so there won't be a IV).

Leticia and Tricia

Lisa and Risa

(All slightly modified from the real, but you get the idea)

GryffindorDisappointment's BFF has twin boys with non-matching (but very traditional) names.

I worked with a lady who had 2 sets of spontaneous twins. (boys frat and then ID girls)

3 of the 4 had names that ended in an and the 4th's ended in in.

She and her husband's names also ended in n.

I went to church with twins with middle names "deja" and "vu" and recently stumbled on The names of a family that runs a local business: the children are  Candaceanne, Courtneyanne, Carrieanne, Corrissaanne, and Colton. The girls are named after the matriarch "michaelanne" and one daughter even carried the tradition on with the granddaughter another c..Anne. It seems buck wild to me, and I would be so confused!

I know girl triplets whose full first names are all multi-syllable and relatively different though start with the same letter...but then their nicknames are all two-syllable and end in -ie. Think along the lines of Marianna->Mollie,  Minerva->Minnie, Margaret->Maggie.

I like all these name lists. 

Here's how Baby Alice got named... 

1.Nothing from the Bible 

2, Nothing from the family

3. No ascending or descending letters (dbpq) Because, Dad was left-handed and had trouble with cursive as a child. He didn't want that for me.

I was unnamed for a week. Then they came up with something which is extremely unusual and is always mispronounced as a boys name. 

...It took me awhile to come to terms with having a unique name. It was just another thing that made me different and I resented it for some time. I'm happy about it now though.

My fictional little girl would be named Elizabeth Georgia (traditional, familial, and you can't screw it up :) j

3 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

As you can see from this statistics from 2010, a lot of people give twins matching names: https://www.babymed.com/baby-names/popular-baby-names-twins-born-2010

Erika Shupe named her twins Lacey and Lillie. I love the names individually but as twins they are a bit sickly sweet for me. She also dresses them in matching clothes and only ever refers to them together. Very worrying when they get a little older and want to be seen as individuals! 

I’m pregnant but I️ don’t know if it’s a boy or girl yet. We agree on a couple of boy names but girl names have been a huge hassle. I️ have a pretty large list of girl names that I️ like. My husband can’t think of a single one. I’ve gotten him to say that one or two of the names are “hmm...okay” but that’s about it. It’ll be interesting if we have a girl (and I️ foresee myself pushing for a name that I️ like). I’m not worrying about it too much yet till the 20 week scan. Then we can go naming crazy. 

I️ met a girl a while back with twin boys- Elijah and Elishah. I️ feel like that would get old quickly unless they went by nicknames or middle names, but she said they didn’t. 

I think if I had twins, I'd go with names that didn't sound too similar, but were related thematically. Kind of the Ben and Jessa route, but a little less obvious. Billie and Ella (singers), Eleanor and Mathilda (powerful Medieval queens), or Jane and Virginia (writers) for girls; Henry and Alfred (kings), August and William (playwrights), or Leo and Charles (writers who wrote about social issues) for boys.

14 hours ago, twinmama said:

I know a toddler girl named Elliot and somehow I loooove the name for a girl, but I'm not a huge fan for a boy haha

I also know a toddler girl named Elliot!

We have twins on both sides of my family, Donald and Dennis (go by Don and Den) and Harold and Larry (I think Harold went by Harry for a while, but not since I've known him)

6 hours ago, SorenaJ said:

As you can see from this statistics from 2010, a lot of people give twins matching names: https://www.babymed.com/baby-names/popular-baby-names-twins-born-2010

I don't think anyone's claiming that people don't give twins matching names - obviously they do. We're just pointing out that we personally haven't met any (or don't know many).

16 hours ago, cascarones said:

Multiples also have interesting naming conventions, which I'm always curious about the thought process. The rhyming, the alliteration, the closeness that often goes into naming two people that will eventually lead separate lives. I worked with a pair of twins whose names were one letter off (like Neil and Nell, Brandon and Branson) and the constant need to redirect email/invites sent to the wrong person was the bane of work husband's existence since he popped up first.

I know they exist a plenty, but I've yet to meet twins whose names don't start with the same letter at the very least. I also don't know if that was merely an 80s thing.

The two sets of twins I had as classmates in the 70s were Lance/Lyle and Nancy/Nanette.

The twins I know now (one set is teenagers, the other set is toddlers) have non-matching names, but each pair of names is consistent in genre — one pair has religious names, the other pair has tryndie names.

I love to watch the old game show Card Sharks. Their was a contestant on once who's name was Beverly who was a triplet. Her sisters were named Becky (who was also on the show) and Barbara. 

I don't know if I've ever met a pair of twins with matching names...

I take that back, I do know twin baby girls whose names both start with "E." But none of the twins I went to school or church with growing up had matching names in any way. And some of their mothers were very, uh, Jill Rodrigues like, shall we say?

@twinmama Brett and Colette came to mind. (Not knowing but guessing at so many of these names is a fun game.)

I love the name Cameron for a girl. 

I'm not a fan of Jr.s etc. There are so many names to choose from. I do love the use of maiden names though so maybe I'm biased?

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived