IGNORED

Joy and Austin 16: Touring the Texas Rodeo

Coconut Flan

My husband's middle name is his father's name. DH wants to repeat the tradition by having a future son's middle name as.....his father's name/my husband's middle name (instead of his own name like how his father named him). I don't like the name at all, but I wouldn't stand in the way of our future son having that family name. I just wish it would flow better with the names I would like for a son.

At least I know I have a few years to warm up to the idea!

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Jocelyn is a name I really like. I'm so intrigued by this creative spelling though, lol! 

OH, I like the name too!! Too bad they didn't go that way for the spelling.

52 minutes ago, justoneoftwo said:

Those are some great options actually!  Thanks.  

One is the female version of LO's so that one is out, but there are great options and also great nicknames I hadn't thought of.  They are exactly the tone we were looking for (also from the US)Thanks so much!

I just wanted to add Andrea/Andere to the list because I LOVE the gender-neutral nickname Andy/Andi! But more feminine nicknames include Annie and Drea. 

4 hours ago, samurai_sarah said:

I agree with you, but there are unforeseen pitfalls. My friends' and my jaw dropped, when a lady from France introduced herself as "Fanny". Perfectly acceptable name in France, I am told. But in the US it means one thing, and in the UK another. And the meaning in the UK is far more unfortunate than in the US. "Fanny" in the UK, refers to female genitals.

Having said that, of course, no one can sound out everything!

Fanny was also a perfectly acceptable name in the UK until relatively recently - you've got to feel bad for the women named Fanny who lived through that transition period! :my_biggrin:

Just for giggles, I googled its popularity in 1900 and found this listing: http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2012/08/top-200-most-popular-names-in-england-and-wales-1900.html

The name Fanny was #69 in popularity. (I am a 13 year old boy at heart apparently :my_blush:)

More fun name stories:

My friend's brother is named "Manville".  He is technically the 6th or 7th of his name, but for several generations, the various Manvilles have all gone by their middle names.

Same friend married a family that flips the names James and Robert for every first born son.  So her FIL is James Robert, and her husband is Robert James.  The problem?  She DETESTS the names James and Robert and especially dislikes the nicknames "Jim", "Bob", and "Rob" (she calls her husband Ro).  If they have a son, she's agreed to name him James Robert on the condition that the child be called J.R.

A different, absolutely terrible acquaintance of mine took his (second) wife's name when he married her.  That part's not terrible.  It made a lot of sense since he has 2 brothers and she only has a sister who took her husband's name.  However, when he changed his name, he ALSO removed his first name.  His father's name.  Did not even inform his father he was doing that.  He was the III of his name.  Sorry, Big Bruce.  

8 minutes ago, Eponine said:

Fanny was also a perfectly acceptable name in the UK until relatively recently - you've got to feel bad for the women named Fanny who lived through that transition period! :my_biggrin:

Just for giggles, I googled its popularity in 1900 and found this listing: http://www.britishbabynames.com/blog/2012/08/top-200-most-popular-names-in-england-and-wales-1900.html

The name Fanny was #69 in popularity. (I am a 13 year old boy at heart apparently :my_blush:)

Thank you for this list!  I almost forgot how much I LOVE the name Cecily!  

3 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

Thank you for this list!  I almost forgot how much I LOVE the name Cecily!  

Me too!! It's one of my very favorite names, and if I ever have a daughter it will be a serious contender.

19 minutes ago, Eponine said:

[snip]

[snip]

It's hilarious how many of the girls' names are back in fashion now. That could be a UK reception class today.
I've got a lot of love for cheeky Blodwen sneaking in at 133. They start getting unusual around there - I guess the most popular 100 names are really over-represented, and everything beyond that is still quite leftfield.

13 minutes ago, Eponine said:

Me too!! It's one of my very favorite names, and if I ever have a daughter it will be a serious contender.

It's still on my list (I also forgot to add Sancia and Lucretia, which are DEFINTIELY in the running), but my current partner is a Sikh who just came over from India this year, and if he ends up being the father of my kids, I think that aristocratic English names might be out.  Too colonial.

The British Empire may be dead, but even from beyond the grave it finds ways to mess things up! 

4 hours ago, keen23 said:

I love the name Astrid. But it's way too easy to get called Ass-Turd.

This name will always remind me of an episode of the show The Office!

If you have a name as your last name don't saddle your kid with it twice.  My mom had a friend who's name was David David. 

My sister had picked my niece's name before she was born, but for her middle name, we had a family draw.  Everyone put a name on a slip of paper and my sister picked one out, and that's the middle name my niece got.  Which was actually my sister's choice for a middle name, conveniently.

Two of my nephews go by their middle names, which always seems to throw people.

I went to school with a Marlana and when we got to high school an alarming amount of people pointed out her name spelled "anal ram" backwards. Kids will always find something to make fun of.

Multiples also have interesting naming conventions, which I'm always curious about the thought process. The rhyming, the alliteration, the closeness that often goes into naming two people that will eventually lead separate lives. I worked with a pair of twins whose names were one letter off (like Neil and Nell, Brandon and Branson) and the constant need to redirect email/invites sent to the wrong person was the bane of work husband's existence since he popped up first.

I know they exist a plenty, but I've yet to meet twins whose names don't start with the same letter at the very least. I also don't know if that was merely an 80s thing.

My husband was named after his grandfather which can be a gender neutral name and his grandmother had the feminine version. He goes by his middle name.  It must have been very confusing when he was a kid.  You call "insert name" to come down stairs and three people show up.

Just now, cascarones said:

Multiples also have interesting naming conventions, which I'm always curious about the thought process. The rhyming, the alliteration, the closeness that often goes into naming two people that will eventually lead separate lives. I worked with a pair of twins whose names were one letter off (like Neil and Nell, Brandon and Branson) and the constant need to redirect email/invites sent to the wrong person was the bane of work husband's existence since he popped up first.

I know they exist a plenty, but I've yet to meet twins whose names don't start with the same letter at the very least. I also don't know if that was merely an 80s thing.

My nieces are twins who's names start with a different letter (A and E).  The names go well enough together and they do have nicknames that both end in IE.  A now goes by her full name though.  

My name is a classic British name (first, middle and last) and I personally find it boring AF. I know a lot of FJ people on here are stickler's for traditional "proper" names, but I grew up in a place were lots of people had uncommon (read not Anglo-Saxon/European) names and got on just fine. A lot of people also had traditional names (and variations). I'd like to name my kid something uncommon but aurally pleasing. 

For a girl: Najwa, Tatiana, Anastasia, Iman, Daphne, Imogen, Naima, Sabine, Genevieve, Zara, Kehlani, Anya, Veronica, Yendi, Aja, Valentina, Rima, Dalia, Marini (or Marnie) 

I recently found out that if I were Ghanian (Akan tribe) my pet-name might be Adwoa (pronounced Ad-waa) because I was born on a Monday. I have no idea which West African tribe(s) I come from 'cause of slavery and all that jazz, but it's likely some Akan tribe from Ghana. Adwoa (or Adoja) kinda sounds like Najwa. So I actually might give my child that as a middle name, were I to have a kids.  

If I marry a Latinx person, I am naming my daughter Xiomara or Ixchel. 

I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do if I give birth to a boy. 

FYI: The Islamic State ruined that name Isis for me. 

1 hour ago, Georgiana said:

Same friend married a family that flips the names James and Robert for every first born son.  So her FIL is James Robert, and her husband is Robert James.  The problem?  She DETESTS the names James and Robert and especially dislikes the nicknames "Jim", "Bob", and "Rob" (she calls her husband Ro).  If they have a son, she's agreed to name him James Robert on the condition that the child be called J.R.

Dear Rufus, the world does not need another Jim Bob...

My granny's family always used a family surname (from her dad's side) as a middle name for all the males.... (they were vaguely related to minor aristocracy and clearly liked to publicise the connection) ... until my proto-feminist, strong-willed, stubborn granny gave birth to my father and named him a la carte. When she followed up with a daughter, she rubbed salt into the wound by giving her a middle name that was a family surname from her mother's side... I like to think it was her own sweet reposte to the patriarchy....!

40 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

My husband was named after his grandfather which can be a gender neutral name and his grandmother had the feminine version. He goes by his middle name.  It must have been very confusing when he was a kid.  You call "insert name" to come down stairs and three people show up.

My brother and a cousin were both named for our grandfather. When we all visited at the same time, we had "Big Very Common Name", "Little Very Common Name", and "Nickname for Very Common Name". It makes me glad I wasn't named for anybody. :pb_lol:

49 minutes ago, cascarones said:

I know several multiples born in the 80s with very different names - like Caleb and Timothy or Hannah and Jennifer. Maybe it’s more of a regional thing?

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I know several multiples born in the 80s with very different names - like Caleb and Timothy or Hannah and Jennifer. Maybe it’s more of a regional thing?

I don't know. I was born in the 80s and I've known/met many twins over the course of my life, and literally none of them had matching names. I'm not sure I've ever even met any who had names starting with the same letter. 

6 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

My first child was almost named Angelica, I'm happy I didn't go with it because within a short time "The Rugrats" became very popular LOL no one I knew had her name in 1986, but it became super used in the next few years. the next two were boys so I never did get to use my next favorite for a girl, Mallory Rose, I've never met anyone with that name. 

If we didn't have a last name that started with the letter L and ended with a y, we would have highly considered Mallory or Molly.

Far too sing-songy for our taste.

If I have a son I would put John and Thomas as his middle name, on my dad's side most John is a popular name, it's my dad's real name but he goes by Ian the Gaelic version of John. My papa, my mum's dad is named Thomas. 

My grandmother's are Edith and Roberta, I'm not a fan of either and they both hate their names too. I will use Elizabeth as a middle name it was my great grandmother's name, she died before I was born but I hear she was a character, her maiden name was Elizabeth Bordon, similar name to the suspected Victorian murderer. She was a protestant who married a Catholic, they briefly moved to Canada to escape the sectarian abuse. Her daughter, my great aunt is also Elizabeth, she is more like another Grand mother to me though.

I like the idea of using family names as middle names. I've not decided on first names yet but I'm single so no need to worry just now.

19 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I don't know. I was born in the 80s and I've known/met many twins over the course of my life, and literally none of them had matching names. I'm not sure I've ever even met any who had names starting with the same letter. 

I knew a set of twins in high school (they were born in 1988) who had names that traditionally start with C but their parents started them with K instead. One of the twins eventually continued the tradition with her son's name as well.

49 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm a twin from the 80's and our names don't match in any way. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived