IGNORED

Chelsea Instagram

Milly-Molly-Mandy

4 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

Long time lurker, first time poster and of course I waited too long.

Never too late to join the conversation, welcome!

I have to ask - could you tell us if other girls who attend the Pentecostal school dress similarly to how Chelsea and sister dress their daughters? Is it common to see girls from that school wearing bows as big as their heads, with time-consuming, scalp pain-inducing hairstyles, and/or dressed in elaborate outfits better befitting a bygone era (when not in school uniform, as in around town, like at the store)? 

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

It well known that the Pentecostals in this area all have a lot of money/are well off, but that could just be speculation I have heard all my life since I personally don't know any. They seem to stick to themselves.

This is so interesting to me. I have never met a well off Pentecostal in my area, and in my experience, any post-high school education is discouraged, much like Jehovah's Witnesses, and so a lot of stable careers are out of their grasp.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, Zola said:

Never too late to join the conversation, welcome!

I have to ask - could you tell us if other girls who attend the Pentecostal school dress similarly to how Chelsea and sister dress their daughters? Is it common to see girls from that school wearing bows as big as their heads, with time-consuming, scalp pain-inducing hairstyles, and/or dressed in elaborate outfits better befitting a bygone era (when not in school uniform, as in around town, like at the store)? 

I have never seen any child dressed like those girls anywhere. I was actually telling my mom (who still lives in that city) about this women. She also said she has never seen them (or anyone like them), but hopes she stumbles on them. So no, this is not a common thing to my knowledge. The Pentecostals I grew up seeing were very easy to identify: long hair, ponytail or braid, ALWAYS a denim skirt to the knees with a t-shirt actually very Duggar-style. It hadn't changed when I was visiting two years ago. I did see a lot of little girls with hair bows the size of their heads everywhere so that is probably just a southern thing. I really think Chelsea and her sister are different from most Pentecostals in the area.

4 hours ago, nausicaa said:

This is so interesting to me. I have never met a well off Pentecostal in my area, and in my experience, any post-high school education is discouraged, much like Jehovah's Witnesses, and so a lot of stable careers are out of their grasp.

I don't know much about the religion, but my dad is an electrician and I went on calls with him often. You could always tell the Pentecostal house (no TV and the way they dressed). They really looked well off. As someone said earlier, it could just be huge credit debt. Oh and my grandparents bought their house from a Pentecostal family years ago, I was with them when they did the first look while the people were still living there. Very strange taste and fancy-looking. I was 10 or so at the time so take that with a grain of salt, but the house was in a very nice area for the time. I wonder if they have changed or softened those rules with time? It is also not so terribly difficult to have your own business as a tradesmen (electrician, plumber, whatnot) in Arkansas. No one seems to check that well. My dad had my unlicensed brother doing electrical work for him for several years and some how never got caught.

• Upvote 7

I grew up near a Pentecostal mega-church and one of my good friends attended. The members were VERY into the prosperity gospel, name it and claim it, and all that. Of course this outlook is appealing mostly to people who are already well off or at least comfortable. This group wasn't the plain type. They all dressed normally and had mainstream hair styles. The Holiness (I think this is right) churches were totally different - long hair, denim skirts, tons of kids, and not as well off. 

• Upvote 7

In Sweden Pentecostals used to keep their hair long until about the 60s-70s. Then they changed it into just having a feminine hair style. My grand mother was a member of a Pentecostal church and kept her hair long until they said it was OK to cut it and from then on kept it in a bob or slightly longer. She was happy to have a style that was more modern and easier to take care of. My grandfather who wasn't a member of the church hated her new hairstyle as he was very much in favor of long hair for women and her long hair was probably one of the things that attracted him to her but he got used to it but never really started liking it. 

Pentecostals that I have met are more conservative than me but not so conservative that I find it hard to be around them. Most are against drinking alcohol but some think it is OK as long as you don't get drunk. Women dress modern but on the more modest side and I think many will only wear skirts to church but pants the rest of the week. Most of them wear makeup. I find the speaking in tongues part a bit creepy and they do have a hint of the prosperity gospel as was said above but not to the same level as some other churches that go for that full on. Most vote conservative (by Swedish standards, most would probably vote Democrat if they were Americans and had the same political views). As a Lutheran I find them a bit weird but tolerable if I am a bit rude. I would go to a service in their church if asked to but probably find some things questionable and not really be very interested in joining them.

• Upvote 4

Prosperity gospel is big in Arkansas. It was just getting into the mainstream churches when I left years ago. I have quite a few FB friends who are always posting about ti and trying to get other to join. My dad is Southern Baptist and even they have quite a lot of the key phrases in their church. I would not be surprised to learn that the Pentecostals there where part of that.

• Upvote 7

@StraightOuttaArkansas,  a poster named DogEmperor had a good series of diaries on Daily Kos a few years ago about the hijacking of the Southern Baptist Convention by the Assemblies of God and the connections to "Joel's Army" and dominionism.

I'll paste the link to just one of dogempreror's diaries here and you can easily search for others either by looking and dog emperor's profile and clicking on stories or by searching Google for DailyKos dogemperor.  (The profile search might just be for logged-in members.)

"Seven Mountains" and "Joels' Army's" plan for takeover

I'm not sure that dogenperor talks about how the AoG wormed its way into the SBC in this diary, but s/he does talk about Bill Gothard and ALERT.

• Upvote 6

I was looking back through her sister's IG. 

On Mother's Day she posted a picture of her baby lying in her stroller covered in a blanket. She is wearing nothing but a diaper and her bonnet, per the post. Here's the thing: they are at church and her mother forgot her freshly ironed dress. She showed up at church and realized she'd forgotten the baby's dress!!!

WHAT THE HECK?!?

Are these mothers so concerned with perfection that they make their babies ride in the car in their diapers so their perfect clothing doesn't get wrinkles? Where do they dress them? At what age do the near-naked car rides end?  

I just have so many questions!!!  

• Upvote 7
  • Sad 1
  • WTF 6
  • Haha 2
  • I Agree 1

I hope they wouldn't make their baby ride in the car in just a diaper in the winter. It does get cold in Arkansas.

Who has time to iron a baby's dress? Do these women ever sIeep? Are they paying someone to clean and cook for them so they are free to focus on dressing their daughters dolls. I feel proud of myself when I fold and hang up clothes right when the dryer is done.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 2

2 hours ago, Ali said:

I hope they wouldn't make their baby ride in the car in just a diaper in the winter. It does get cold in Arkansas.

Who has time to iron a baby's dress? Do these women ever sIeep? Are they paying someone to clean and cook for them so they are free to focus on dressing their daughters dolls. I feel proud of myself when I fold and hang up clothes right when the dryer is done.

How do you get your kids to wear such things? I'm proud of myself when I can talk my 6yr old into wearing clothes at all. Bonus if they are clean! Much less ironed. I'm not sure she even owns any clothes that are meant to be ironed. She will only wear knit. 

Edited by Anonymousguest
  • Upvote 8

4 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

How do you get your kids to wear such things? I'm proud of myself when I can talk my 6yr old into wearing clothes at all. Bonus if they are clean! Much less ironed. I'm not sure she even owns any clothes that are meant to be ironed. She will only wear knit. 

Yes I’d like to know her ways! My 3 year old son insists on a garish paw patrol top pretty much every morning. 

• Upvote 3

When my daughter was three, she fell in love with the bright pink mittens I had bought her for the winter. She loved them so much, she wore them everywhere through the month of May. Church dress with ruffled socks and Mary Janes? Add the mittens. Running to the store for ice cream? Gotta have the mittens! Playing on the swing? Mittens. She finally just decided she was tired of them - probably when the outside temps hit 85 :pb_biggrin:

We had one little boy at church who decided to wear a tie every day. He looked so cute at the McDonald's playland in his shorts and t-shirt. And tie. We moms just went with all that stuff. 

These poor little girls will never get to do things like that. 

• Upvote 10
  • Love 5

7 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

When my daughter was three, she fell in love with the bright pink mittens I had bought her for the winter. She loved them so much, she wore them everywhere through the month of May. Church dress with ruffled socks and Mary Janes? Add the mittens. Running to the store for ice cream? Gotta have the mittens! Playing on the swing? Mittens. She finally just decided she was tired of them - probably when the outside temps hit 85 :pb_biggrin:

We had one little boy at church who decided to wear a tie every day. He looked so cute at the McDonald's playland in his shorts and t-shirt. And tie. We moms just went with all that stuff. 

These poor little girls will never get to do things like that. 

Reminds me of a friend who had one child who refused to stop wearing his thick winter coveralls (I live close to the Arctic circle so really warm stuff) even during summer and had another child who was a year younger who was very warm and would refuse to wear anything more than a pair of underwear in summer. She had to walk around with one kid wearing almost nothing and one in full winter clothes in July.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 19

@PennySycamore Thanks for the link. I am definitely going to read up on that. I assume "Joel's Army" refers to Joel Osteen? I had so much him on my FB shared by everyone I knew. One day it all just disappeared (before the flood) and I could not be happier. That guy was creepy.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, StraightOuttaArkansas said:

@PennySycamore Thanks for the link. I am definitely going to read up on that. I assume "Joel's Army" refers to Joel Osteen? I had so much him on my FB shared by everyone I knew. One day it all just disappeared (before the flood) and I could not be happier. That guy was creepy.

Creepy is a good way to describe him!

• Upvote 2

@PennySycamore OH yes, I completely forgot he existed. I find it hard these days to remember all the Bible characters when so many well-known "bible-thumpers" are named after them. It's like they just replace them. Actually a bit sad when you think of the implications of for people inside those branches of the religion (assuming they experience something similar)

• Upvote 4

On 11/8/2017 at 8:49 PM, Ali said:

Also, it's a BABY. They don't need to be all gussied up for church. Throw on a clean onesie, maybe a cute hat, and you're done. No one's going to look at your warm, comfortable baby and think, "ugh, look at that unfashionable infant. Clearly she's a horrible mother; I bet she also plans to allow her child to have more than two career options."

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 5

Baby Charlotte is walking and she has posted some videos on IG. SWEET MERCY, those baby legs are the best thing ever. I just want to hold her on my lap and smoosh those precious thighs. The second youngest (Jane?) also wanted mommy to video tape her walking. So she did. Sweet moments. No snark from me this time because babies give me such warm fuzzies. 

• Upvote 11
  • Love 6

I came here to report that baby Charlotte is walking but @usmcmom beat me to it :)

That baby is the cutest baby on Instagram right now. Ohhh, those thighs :56247955dd693_32(12):

Edited by Pink Muffin
spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Charlotte is the cutest baby I have seen grace my instagram. While some of the outfits are over the top on the bigger girls baby Charlotte can rock it and is too cute. Many of these outfits for baby Charlotte are so cute especially the bonnets and ducky prints.

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1

I don’t want to give too much away but I’ve been chatting to a person who personally knows Chelsea through church

Apparently she is the sort of person who imagines slights and holds grudges and sees herself and her husband as a future political family. 

She had a falling out with her sister but the person I’m chatting too is not sure what happened. They use to be so close and spend most days together. It’s sad for the little girls apparently.  

She got more and more extreme in dressing the girls as she got lots of attention for it. 

Also so yes the video of Charlotte walking is too adorable! 

Also I have permission to share the bit that I did, I am sure the person is not identifiable from my information but if anyone thinks it’s too much I’ll take down the post. I’ve tried to be careful in my words. 

• Upvote 9

@Milly-Molly-Mandy none of what you said surprises me in the least. Chelsea is incredibly transparent to me. I can see right through her and know people similar in personality. I would keep her at quite a distance. I imagine her sister is the more rational of the two. 

• Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

@Milly-Molly-Mandy none of what you said surprises me in the least. Chelsea is incredibly transparent to me. I can see right through her and know people similar in personality. I would keep her at quite a distance. I imagine her sister is the more rational of the two. 

Oh really, what could you tell from her posts? 

Yes her sister seems much nicer. 

Also I’m not sure if the person I’m chatting to does actually know why they fell out but just isn’t saying which is totally fine!

I did like the conspiracy theory Chelsea stole her sister’s baby name though haha

• Upvote 4
  • Love 1