IGNORED

Chelsea Instagram

Milly-Molly-Mandy

11 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, statistically a higher number of autistic people are left-handed than the general population. Same phenomenon occurs with those in prison, Nobel Prize winners, Mensa members, and those who suffer from depression.  It's so weird to me that we still don't understand what causes left-handedness and why it is exhibited more in some demographics. 

And while I'm spouting off my left-handed facts, for anyone reading this: If you do have a child who is showing signs of being left-handed, please don't force right-handedness on them. The link between forcing right-handedness and severe speech impediments is very real, and it seems silly to risk it for a difference that is so negligible. Plus lefties look out for other lefties, and you'd be surprised how many times an employer or someone else in the lefty network cuts you a break because they notice you're left handed (But the first rule of Left-Handed Club is no discussing Left-Handed Club so... )

I’ve mentioned on fj before that my grandfather, born in 1895, was physically restrained from writing with his left hand.  Learning that didn’t surprise me much since it was so long ago.  But several years ago I dated a fellow who was similarly restrained, but in his case it would have been in about 1960 and in San Francisco — I was really surprised to know that was still happening that recently (and especially since less than ten years later and in the same region, I grew up lefty without any such pressure to switch). Anyway, what I don't think I ever mentioned was that the boyfriend had a *SEVERE* stutter.  He had no specific knowledge of when/why the stutter appeared, but did say he spoke normally for his first few years, which makes it appear almost certain that it developed tied to his writing restriction...

8 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My usual fix for lecture halls with no lefty desks was a clipboard with loose pages or a notebook with the spiral at the top. I never saw a single left-handed desk in the lecture halls at the large (ish) public university here, but the small private college in a nearby town always had left-handed desks along one aisle of the lecture halls. It was nice, even if I was only there for church youth conferences.

I went to one of the University of California campuses in the early-mid 1980s, and I think I remember that all the large lecture halls had lefty desks on the left edge of each row, plus at each aisle.

• Upvote 9

Lefty here, the only one in a huge extended family (9 bio aunts and uncles, mamaw was one of 11, you get the picture). I have no hook, learned to everything by whoever was teaching me something sit across from me—tying shoes, knitting, whatever. 

I remember taking the ACT in a huge theater style lecture hall with no left-handed desks; I sat on the back of the seat in front of me and had a line bruise on my butt for weeks. For the GRE I got to sit at the proctor’s table because, again, no desk for me.  

I come from rural Appalachian stock and asked my mom if she ever thought about “switching” me (other folks my age were still switched in the 70s around here). She said no because she figured I was wired that way and it might mess up my brain if she tried. Smart woman, my mom. 

• Upvote 21
  • I Agree 3

7 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

This is weird that we are discussing this! My ASD daughter had OT yesterday and we were talking about this. I've spent 18 years working with people with autism and the OT has 10+ years. We have both seen a very high percentage of lefties in this population! Including my daughter. It's just interesting...

(Also, my daughter has had LOTS of classmates who are twins. Some have one NT and one ASD, some have one very mild and and one severe twin, but the twin who is most affected in the twinship, has always been a lefty)

SOO INTERESTINGG!

That's fascinating! I didn't know that! I kind of want someone to research this, but I also know more research dollars need to go to practical things that help people (therapies, lifespan issues, etc). Which is more important than, "Woah! That's super cool, I want to learn more!"

1 hour ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, statistically a higher number of autistic people are left-handed than the general population. Same phenomenon occurs with those in prison, Nobel Prize winners, Mensa members, and those who suffer from depression.  It's so weird to me that we still don't understand what causes left-handedness and why it is exhibited more in some demographics. 

And while I'm spouting off my left-handed facts, for anyone reading this: If you do have a child who is showing signs of being left-handed, please don't force right-handedness on them. The link between forcing right-handedness and severe speech impediments is very real, and it seems silly to risk it for a difference that is so negligible. Plus lefties look out for other lefties, and you'd be surprised how many times an employer or someone else in the lefty network cuts you a break because they notice you're left handed (But the first rule of Left-Handed Club is no discussing Left-Handed Club so... )

Oh, seriously? Woah. The brain is fascinating. 

I've also heard that creativity/acting can be connected to left-handedness, and that there are lots of left-handed actors.

• Upvote 6

Interestingly enough I have ASD (officially diagnosed on Monday) and am definitely right-handed. Mum and I have our suspicions about my dad having ASD/traits of it and he’s also right handed. My brother has dyslexia/dyspraxia and is more ambidextrous; he mostly uses a keyboard these days so i forget which hand he uses, I think it’s his right. His handwriting is pretty bad either way.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

@nausicaa I love that you're as tall as me AND a lefty too. High five! :)

I know right?! (Very) high lefty five! :my_heart:

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

But several years ago I dated a fellow who was similarly restrained, but in his case it would have been in about 1960 and in San Francisco — I was really surprised to know that was still happening that recently (and especially since less than ten years later and in the same region, I grew up lefty without any such pressure to switch). 

I went to a Catholic pre-school in the late 80s and thankfully everyone there was very understanding about left-handedness and no one ever even mentioned forcing me to switch. I even wrote backwards at first (not a letter or two,  mirror images of entire words like I was some demon child) and they told my mom not to worry about it and that it was just a left-handed thing I'd grow out of. They were right and I reversed everything back the correct way soon enough.

• Upvote 8
  • Love 1

I'm a lefty here too. I do tons of things with my right hand, like using scissors. I can do anything a righty can do, except write with a fountain pen and work a manual can opener. Seriously, screw those things. I have my grandmother's electric can opener (she was a lefty--and probably who I got the trait from) that is from that late 1950s era of indestructable kitchen appliances, so I'll probably pass it on to my cousin (my grandmother's great-granddaughter) who is the lefty of her generation. It's sort of nice that she and I have this special bond that we share.

One of my favorite things to point out to people is that left-handers have a considerable advantage in fencing/sword fighting. When I read the first Game of Thrones book, I was tickled pink that George made Aria Stark a left-hander--and that Maisie Williams, who is right-handed, played her as a lefty in the series.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/game-thrones-maisie-williams-1033874/

That said, I do know that lefties are at a higher risk of developing PTSD, and that when they do, they have a significant likelihood of having severe 'arousal' symptoms of PTSD. 

13 hours ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

My usual fix for lecture halls with no lefty desks was a clipboard with loose pages or a notebook with the spiral at the top. 

I use legal pads and binders--and binders full of legal pads. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 10

Whaaaaatttt???????? I've just checked her instagram, it's a nightmare.  most of the pictures are ridiculous, I feel bad for these kids, there's something insane in her mother's obsession. At least other fundies kids can actually play in their clothes.

I edit because I've read that they actually go to school. I'm surprised.

Edited by Melissa1977
adding
  • Upvote 5

I'm surprised that their school doesn't have its own website.  Even the school at the IFB church down the road from me(which consists of a single classroom) has one.

Edited by smittykins
I do know the difference between its and it's
  • Upvote 3

My son is right handed and writes his name completely mirror imaged. His teachers say it's very common for any child to do that when first learning to write. 

• Upvote 6

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Whaaaaatttt???????? I've just checked her instagram, it's a nightmare.  most of the pictures are ridiculous, I feel bad for these kids, there's something insane in her mother's obsession. At least other fundies kids can actually play in their clothes.

I edit because I've read that they actually go to school. I'm surprised.

Almost all pentecostals I've met sent their children to public school I don't think I've met one pentecostal homeschooling family. While they may do the skirts only thing they aren't really into isolation or homeschooling. They also work and go to college/university I know many pentecostal girls went into teaching or nursing. 

The costume type outfits look cute on the little ones like the birthday baker outfits but they just don't look age appropriate on MG. She looks way too old to be wearing the same dress as her toddler sister. Most pentecostals don't dress anything like this and even in pentecostal circles MG's clothes due to her age alone would be considered very babyish. Pentecostal girls around these parts her age all wear things from Forever 21, Justice, etc anything fashionable with a matching skirt or boho dress. I guarantee this family stands out even among their church.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I'm surprised that their school doesn't have its own website.  Even the school at the IFB church down the road from me(which consists of a single classroom) has one.

My youngest kid's school has not a website. Families ask for registrate their kids the sooner the better (I asked a year before my son was actually starting pre-school), so the director says they don't need to invest time/money advertising the school in the internet. In fact, everybody in my town knows the school.

It's a secular, certified school, btw. 

• Upvote 1

OK, I'll admit that the Thanksgiving dresses are cute and at least in the ballpark of age-appropriateness for MG. Hate the traction alopecia hairdos, but I do genuinely like those dresses.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

My youngest kid's school has not a website. Families ask for registrate their kids the sooner the better (I asked a year before my son was actually starting pre-school), so the director says they don't need to invest time/money advertising the school in the internet. In fact, everybody in my town knows the school.

It's a secular, certified school, btw. 

I enrolled my kids in their school/future school at birth and they were out of spots for them to start at age 5 by the time the kids were 1-2 years old. That's very normal for private schools in my city. They do not need to advertise to fill the spots. They still all have websites and that means people who are new to the city or moving from interstate/overseas can find them rather than just people in the city, which I like given how diverse the classes are. I've used the website more since my kids started than when looking into the school before enrolling. Heck if I can remember when free dress day, sausage sizzle day or swimming sports are, plus it's a good portal for them to upload different pieces of class-specific information and they don't need to rely so much on sending information home with kids or in the mail. It means parents who can't get to the school regularly or who may be intimidated by getting information face to face can get it at their own pace or on their own time. There's more to a school website than just advertising it.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Sad that the sister’s feud means they don’t even spend thanksgiving together. 

It's so sad if you look back on their instagrams they practically spent every day together now it's absolutely nothing. I hope they can look back and wonder if this feud was worth the holidays spent apart because the ones who lose the most are the girls. They went from being a unit with matching dresses and all to not even on speaking terms that has to be confusing for them and they probably wonder why they can't see their cousins. They weren't even their at eachother's birthday parties this year.

• Sad 6

Yeah, I find it hard to snark on people's clothing (hard -- not impossible)... but the hairdos that are actually visibly affecting the minor children's hairlines are a different matter.  UGH.  So gross and so selfish to do that to your children.  Chelsea, if you read this, know that it's not your fashion sense people despise: it's the disregard for your children's well-being.  If you can't see that you're hurting your daughters, you need to take several steps back and take more than one good, long look at the greater picture of your actions and the effect they have on your whole family.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 10

2 hours ago, fundiefun said:

It's so sad if you look back on their instagrams they practically spent every day together now it's absolutely nothing. I hope they can look back and wonder if this feud was worth the holidays spent apart because the ones who lose the most are the girls. They went from being a unit with matching dresses and all to not even on speaking terms that has to be confusing for them and they probably wonder why they can't see their cousins. They weren't even their at eachother's birthday parties this year.

Yes, imagine they still see each other at school and church but aren’t allowed to be friends when they were as close as sisters. So confusing and sad for the girls. 

• Upvote 5
  • Sad 1

I'm late to the Lefty Lounge discussion, but I just had a chance to catch up on the thread. I wish I'd seen it sooner! I was yet another kid who had proclivities towards left-handedness, whose parents "switched" me to my right hand. Apparently, it was my mother's decision. She noticed that I was favoring my left hand early, and she had some sort of apocalyptic vision of the future where I would be in school, and unable to use the scissors provided because they would be for righties. This hellish nightmare scenario meant that she would then have to go to the store and buy a pair of left-handed scissors for me to use in my hypothetical future classroom, that she was CERTAIN would be ultimately stolen by the school. 

So, she refused to give me anything that I didn't grasp with my right hand for the next several years, and ultimately was still slapping my left hand if I "messed up" when I was as old as 7. The end result of all of this was opportunistic ambidextrousness. I favor my left hand if there is any option for using it in sports, weaving, or pretty much any other activities I participate in. But, I only write (and use scissors!) with my right hand. 

This occurred in the dark ages of the 1980s, btw.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Pianokeeper said:

Yeah, I find it hard to snark on people's clothing (hard -- not impossible)... but the hairdos that are actually visibly affecting the minor children's hairlines are a different matter.  UGH.  So gross and so selfish to do that to your children.  Chelsea, if you read this, know that it's not your fashion sense people despise: it's the disregard for your children's well-being.  If you can't see that you're hurting your daughters, you need to take several steps back and take more than one good, long look at the greater picture of your actions and the effect they have on your whole family.

The dresses she trusses her daughters up in are often flagrantly age-inappropriate for the oldest (who's 9), and the second one (Abigail) seems to actively dislike being dolled up every day (I seem to recall one post where she said that Abigail decided to stay home with dad after learning that an event she would be going to with her mom and older sister would involve getting dressed up). I think it's perfectly acceptable to snark on the fact that this woman dresses her daughters like Madame Alexander dolls, with zero individuality allowed (and dresses a 9-year-old identical to a three-year-old) and has expressed embarrassment about her daughters looking like normal elementary school-aged children in public. A few of the dresses are cute, but do the girls get any say in what they want to wear?

• Upvote 12

The sister at least found age-appropriate variations for her eldest (pre-teen?) daughter: longer skirts, different waistlines and collars, less frou-frou.  Skirt and blouse instead of pinafore, or whatever. Still very Frances Hodgson Burnett, but much more suitable for the older child. It made it seem like she was considering her children's individuality. Chelsea does not.

• Upvote 11

I love Jane Claire's facial expressions. Such a hilarious cutie. I wish the kids got to play with their cousins though and not have painful hairstyles.

• Upvote 6