IGNORED

Chelsea Instagram

Milly-Molly-Mandy

Well this rabbit hole  sucked me right in. I admit to liking and buying smocked dresses and  sailor suits for my boy but this is extreme. It must be exhausting to coordinate all those outfits and bows, do those curled hairdos, take and caption all those pictures. It just seems like too much- I hope they get down time in cute but comfy and practical clothing. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

@TheWayTheWorldWorks i cant get over those dresses. No. Just no. I should share that with my friend's sister who is in fashion school....

I'm looking through the Instagram of the designer someone posted up thread. Some comments: 

Hide contents

Does the white with 3 blue stripes remind anyone else of R2D2?

I can't decide if those women look like Jack Skellington or prison inmates. And I hate the "I love modest weddings" on multiple posts. Know what's not modest? Bragging about how modest you are.

Appreciating the Disney princess dresses. I wish Chelsea would show off her kids doing something normal like dressing up like their favorite princess or something. You know, let them have FUN with dressing up.

New post: 

I'm glad Chelsea is posting her daughters being silly and that Charlotte isn't wearing a ridiculous bow or bonnet. Charlotte is all such a cute baby.

When I look at those black and white stripe dresses all I can think about is Beetlejuice. Am I the only one?

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 11
  • I Agree 7

Chelsea is lucky that her girls seem to like wearing dresses or at the very least, don't find it odd. I was the kind of girl who would pitch a major fit if I had to be in a dress or skirt for any reason. It just felt wrong, like involuntary cross dressing or something. Granted, I was allowed to wear pants 99% of the time, so I knew what felt comfortable and what didn't, whereas these girls are dresses/skirts only and don't know there are other options.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I'm pretty sure the church they attend is dresses only.

The girls can hate wearing skirts all they like but they're being taught strict, gendered dress standards from the pulpit. They might be dressing like spooky wax dolls to please mommy dearest, but the skirts are non negotiable-they're doing that bit for God.  Pants are only for heathen women. Like Hillary.

• Upvote 12

2 hours ago, moochies said:

When I look at those black and white stripe dresses all I can think about is Beetlejuice. Am I the only one?

YES!!!! You are so right!!!

46 minutes ago, uber frau said:

Pants are only for heathen women. Like Hillary.

:pb_lol: Maybe that's how they knew the nice lady who took a photo for them was a "Hillary lady." She was a pants wearing heathen!!!

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, uber frau said:

I'm pretty sure the church they attend is dresses only.

The girls can hate wearing skirts all they like but they're being taught strict, gendered dress standards from the pulpit. They might be dressing like spooky wax dolls to please mommy dearest, but the skirts are non negotiable-they're doing that bit for God.  Pants are only for heathen women. Like Hillary.

I know that the church is dresses/skirts only, but even so, there have to be some girls and women who find them to be uncomfortable and keep their unhappy thoughts to themselves.

• Upvote 6

12 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I'm glad Chelsea is posting her daughters being silly and that Charlotte isn't wearing a ridiculous bow or bonnet. Charlotte is all such a cute baby.

But the one year old is in a ruffled pink robe. Because all one year olds have fancier robes than me....

• Upvote 10

1 minute ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

But the one year old is in a ruffled pink robe. Because all one year olds have fancier robes than me....

I'm pretty sure all her clothes are fancier than mine...

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 11

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

@Marshmallow World You mentioned Sara Crewe - check out Olivia Kate's costume for Book Character Day!

See, now, THAT’S appropriate cosplay—but poor Sarah Crewe spent far more time in a ratty old outgrown black dress, working as an unpaid servant.

• Upvote 11
  • I Agree 2

7 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

Chelsea is lucky that her girls seem to like wearing dresses or at the very least, don't find it odd. I was the kind of girl who would pitch a major fit if I had to be in a dress or skirt for any reason. 

Oh lord, your post just brought back one of my more cringeworthy childhood memories. My mother, a woman brought up in the south and fond of various needle crafts and whatnot got very into learning to smock in the mid to late 1980s, when I was but a wee young thing. As her daughter, I was subsequently subjected to many a smocked number, and for the most part I didn't object because she'd choose patterns with horses or unicorns in them, a childhood (and frankly adult :pb_lol:) love of mine. At the age of five or so, my mother decided to extend her repertoire with a sage green number with pink roses and the like on it. I took an instant dislike to it due to the colors, going so far as to refuse to wear it to show off my mother's talent to her grandmother, my great grandmother. Right in front my 95-year old granny, I pitched an enormous fit and embarrassed the crap out of my mother with my behavior. This tantrum is one of two memories I have of my great grandmother, who as the only great-relative alive to see my birth, as well as the namesake for my middle name.  She never did manage to wrangle me into that dress.

The epilogue to the story is that my wedding colors were sage green and pink. :my_biggrin:

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 8
  • Haha 12
  • Love 3

I also hated dresses. I was rarely forced to wear them after my mother realized anytime I wore a dress I would pull it over my head and giggle hysterically as I showed everyone my underwear. At least in my favorite bib overalls, I couldn't flash anyone. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 11
  • Love 3

@ViolaSebastian That is a fantastic story!

I loved pink when I was a little girl, but when I was about 8 I became the tomboy type I still am.  For my school photo when I was 9, which we had as a sibling-group, my mum got these awful matching dresses for my sister and me.  Nothing at all on the Chelsea scale, but pink flowers with a lacy collar and flower shaped buttons, puffed sleeves and a sash.  And it was soooooooo iiitttttccchhhhyyy!   I hated it so much, and thought it was a prissy little good girl frock, and was so angry when my mum insisted I wore it to school that day.  I raised hell, and while the photo has me looking angelic, you can see the smile is forced and I just don't look like me.  The next year we were all 3 in T shirts, grinning our heads off, looking like this happy family, it's a much better photo.  My mum still bewails the fact I was pretty before I hit puberty, but would never give her the photos of her dreams.

• Upvote 6

On 10/29/2017 at 5:06 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

And although the Lolita name isn't directly related to the book/film, it is sort of connected. Since it's usually adult women dressing in a younger style. Similar to Lolita being a a child/adult.

It is to a point, but most of the Lolita fans I know through my daughter try to avoid any sexual overtones with it.  The clothing is beautiful, but at least they seem to be wearing it by choice and enjoy it.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Lurky said:

@Marshmallow World You mentioned Sara Crewe - check out Olivia Kate's costume for Book Character Day!

Notice how the Sarah Crewe cosplay is a toned down version of how those girls are usually forced to dress. No clashing fabrics, no overdone ruffles, the bow is smaller than her head...

Edited by HarryPotterFan
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 4

I'm so thankful that when I was a baby/toddler, my mom was not a fan of tons of frills and lace (though I had a couple frou-frou numbers in my childhood). She was, however, into dressing me like I crawled into the wardrobe trailer of an 80s music video. One of her favorite pictures of me is of me at age 2, in pigtails, a full-blown Canadian Tuxedo (denim overalls and a denim jacket), a huge red bandana around my neck, and red sunglasses. I was pretty girly and loved princess dresses, but I was totally game for jeans and t-shirts too. I think I'm pretty much the same now.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 4

My mom told me that when I was a baby, it was fairly common to stick a tiny bow on the head of a hairless baby girl for pictures. Want to know how they made it stick? Corn syrup. I feel like Chelsy is that times 10.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

a full-blown Canadian Tuxedo (denim overalls and a denim jacket),

Props to you for using the term Canadian Tuxedo correctly! 

I was just thinking about that term the other day when I realized that I had put on my Jean jacket  (medium wash with small white polka dots ) while wearing a pair of jeans (dark wash)  I have no fashion sense at all (plus I DGAF) so I kept on wearing it, but I was wondering all day if I was veering into Canadian Tux territory.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

My mom told me that when I was a baby, it was fairly common to stick a tiny bow on the head of a hairless baby girl for pictures. Want to know how they made it stick? Corn syrup. I feel like Chelsy is that times 10.

I was reading a parenting magazine when my son was a baby, and someone in the letters section suggested using glue to affix bows to a baby's head. Elmer's school glue was her choice. Water soluble, she said, comes right off with warm soapy water. I could see Chelsea using glue. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • WTF 3

6 hours ago, Lurky said:

I will happily give credit where credit is due - that is pretty freaking adorable for a book character day! My snarky side as to wonder if it killed Chelsea inside to use a bow that's smaller than a billboard.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3
  • I Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Marshmallow World said:

I will happily give credit where credit is due - that is pretty freaking adorable for a book character day! My snarky side as to wonder if it killed Chelsea inside to use a bow that's smaller than a billboard.

This is Chelsea's sister. She seems a tiny bit less over the top as Chelsea. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

I'm going to make up a fundie quarrel that caused the riff between sisters. Alert! This is all silly speculation:

Chelsea was pregnant with what she thought was a boy. She Had a name picked out and and everything was monogrammed to perfection. His name would be Allistair Worthington Pomeroy. Sister is also newly pregnant at this time and has picked out the perfect girl name. Charlotte Eloise. Just weeks before her due date, Chelsea learns she is not having a boy! She scrambles to think of baby girl names and comes up empty. She's had three girls already! She's used up all her ideas. How will she ever think of the perfect baby name for her next living doll?! Then she remembers her sister's name choice. Charlotte Eloise! The baby is born and sister is introduced to her new niece, Charlotte Eloise. But it's ok! She didn't actually steal the name since she will just call her Eloise. Sister is FUMING and decides to think up the most Beautiful, the most hip vintage, the most doll like name she could ever come up with. So she names her Lucille Beatrix and Chelsea is green with envy. Solidifying that there will never be matching pictures of the septuplets. 

Its like The Real Fundie Housewives of Arkansas.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 24

2 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

When I was a baby (late 1950s), my mother used a bit of Scotch tape on my bald head to stick the bows on. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 5

Does anyone else think she has a closet full of clear plastic boxes, one for each color of hair bow/bonnet/socks?  Like "light pink" and "medium pink" and "hot pink" and so on?

I hope all the girls become auto mechanics when they grow up.  I want them to have flat hair and dirty fingernails.

• Upvote 10
  • Haha 7
  • Love 1