IGNORED

Seewalds 27: Playing not Cleaning

Coconut Flan

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so old I was on the design team for Noah's ark...hubby is was a plankowner. Or, as hubby is fond of saying "rocks don't live that long". 

There are times I feel young and times I feel older than dirt. Right now with my back and neck jacked up and being so overweight, I feel older than dirt. It doesn't help that kid #1 turned 35 this year and kid #2 turned 30 this year. My oldest grandchild will be 15 early next year...

Or...as kid #3 would say "fuck me running"...

5 hours ago, Carm_88 said:

Jessa was out for coffee? Fascinating lol.
In equally as interesting news, I ate sour patch kids, they were delicious but not at all fancy!

I keep wondering which of The League SchroDuggar's Uteri will be announcing next. Public posting of coffee makes me think maybe not Jessa.

7 hours ago, nst said:

I take that as a compliment - eeek  - is it :D

that made my day

I hated being 20 - 

and today you get a brownie !!!

edited : is it because I am so childlike HA 

Maybe.. Lol jk! 

21 hours ago, cascarones said:

@BlessaYourHeart Sounds like you two have a nice plan! Is it too personal to ask what you're studying? I waited a bit before going for my masters and am so glad I did. I not only changed my mind after working a bit, but was able to get scholarships/ company sponsorship, which made a huge difference!

No not at all! I'm in my final year of Teacher Training - but I don't really want to teach anymore. I want to either work in lecturing, research or with mental health charities that help young people so doing my masters straight away is my best way to get my foot in the door. I get reduced alumni fees for my masters at my uni and a government loan to cover tutition so finically it's not too bad, the UK (Northern Ireland especially) is cheap enough to study as we have access to loads of loans and grants 

4 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

I keep wondering which of The League SchroDuggar's Uteri will be announcing next. Public posting of coffee makes me think maybe not Jessa.

Could be decaf. Could be hot chocolate. Could be someone else's coffee. Could be that she's of the mindset that one coffee per day is fine. 

Actually, I feel like this tends to happen just before a fundie announces a pregnancy. We see them doing something vaguely not-pregnancy-approved like working on the roof of a house, riding a horse, riding a dirt bike, drinking coffee, or carrying a heavy weight. And then a few weeks later we get the announcement.

I predicted Jessa was going to announce over American Thanksgiving, and gosh darnit, as much as I hope these people stop mass producing babies, I just want one of my predictions to come true for once! Actually, I did predict a September wedding for Joe and Kendra. So... okay, Jessa, you're slightly off the hook. :pb_lol:

On the coffee topic, I work with a woman who is due this December, and she drinks tons of caffeine (full-caf coffees, sodas) every day. I guess some people just don't worry about that like I would. I wonder if Jessa does?

2 minutes ago, luxfilia said:

On the coffee topic, I work with a woman who is due this December, and she drinks tons of caffeine (full-caf coffees, sodas) every day. I guess some people just don't worry about that like I would. I wonder if Jessa does?

Back in the Dark Ages when I was pregnant with GryffindorDisappointment, there were no "rules" about caffeine (or lunch meat, or canned tuna). So I drank coffee like I always did - 4-5 cups/day.

Way back in the dark ages when I was pregnant, my body would not let me consume coffee, the smell nauseated me. That was actually the earliest sign I was preggers, because I love coffee and drink it every morning. It was a sleepy pregnancy, as I actually laid off all caffeinated beverages. Right after DD's thirty six hour labor was over and she finally popped out, I had a box o' joe brought to me, LOL. A half dozen donuts too! I was totally starved out.

31 minutes ago, nst said:

so it's somewhat of a jab - got it 

Hahaha nooo, I just thought u were younger for some reason.. Maybe because you're funny and youthful.

19 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Back in the Dark Ages when I was pregnant with GryffindorDisappointment, there were no "rules" about caffeine (or lunch meat, or canned tuna). So I drank coffee like I always did - 4-5 cups/day.

My Doc has only given me a restriction for eating no more than 2 servings of fish (the swim kind, not the shelled kind) per week. Most mornings I drink decaf, the placebo effect really helps get me through the day. On Saturday mornings, before beginning my cleaning routine, I treat myself to a 1/2 caf. I've eaten a bit of lunch meat this pregnancy and I prefer my steaks medium rare but other than that, I've cut out all the traditional "no no" pregnancy foods and alcohol. It hasn't been so bad but I REALLY FUCKING MISS WINE. 

It's amazing how each body reacts differently to pregnancy. My OB never told me to restrict caffeine or anything else for that matter. I had enough sense to know not to drink alcohol. Had I been able to tolerate it, no way I would have given up my morning coffee!

I'm due in December and I drink coffee and full caff tea.  My doctor never told me to restrict it (his main restriction was on types of and amounts of fish as well as certain medications). I've done my own research and the studies seem to indicate that there aren't issues with having caffeine up to 4 servings a day (eta: but don't take my word for it.  Do your own research/ listen to your doctor and then decide what you feel comfortable with).

Honestly, most of the restrictions American women get told are more about defensive medicine and super remote possibilities. I personally think we have more to worry about than whether a pregnant woman has a cup of coffee every day.  

Yeah, its not that coffee is bad during pregnancy, it made me sick. I love the stuff. Each woman should listen to and respect her own body.

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

SNIP

Right after DD's thirty six hour labor was over and she finally popped out, I had a box o' joe brought to me, LOL. A half dozen donuts too! I was totally starved out.

This was me! I refrained from drinking coffee and all types of caffeine while pregnant just for personal preferences (doctor suggested it be limited but not eliminated, but it seemed easier to just get rid of it altogether). I dreamed of coffee and donuts so bad. Instead, I got shitty hospital coffee and some lame lukewarm breakfast soon after labor - but man, I've never been that starved in my LIFE! I was literally popping butter packets into my mouth straight. Fortunately I got some good coffee and donuts by day 2. 

My first OB rolled her eyes when I asked about caffeine and gave me handout on the debunking studies. I got told the fish thing and since I was vegetarian and on the thin side that was discussed more. She encouraged me to listen to my body and if I wanted meat (which I did end up wanting) to listen to it and to add in at least an extra serving of protein a day (egg or 1/2 cup of beans) and sip on a meal replacement shake in addition to meals. To aim for 2000 calories a day, not my usual diet of around 1400.

No lettuce/spinach that's been sitting out to avoid listeria and no drinks mixed in machines either. So no slurpees, which was sad to hear in 100+ weather when getting in and out of the car made me feel nauseous and faint from the heatwave smacking you in the face.

I believe the current recommendation is limiting caffeine to under 200 mg during pregnancy. In my research 200 seemed like a safe, arbitrary number thrown out there since they don't really know of any specific safety cut off point. But after two losses I wasn't going to risk it and I cut out all caffeine in my first trimester. Since reaching the 2nd trimester I let myself have decaf or a soda every now and then. I basically try to keep it to around 50mg or less per day (plus I don't want it interfering with my sleep). I do avoid lunch meat unless its been heated beforehand and I won't eat raw sushi but that's really about it for me. 

1 hour ago, JesSky03 said:

I believe the current recommendation is limiting caffeine to under 200 mg during pregnancy. In my research 200 seemed like a safe, arbitrary number thrown out there since they don't really know of any specific safety cut off point. But after two losses I wasn't going to risk it and I cut out all caffeine in my first trimester. Since reaching the 2nd trimester I let myself have decaf or a soda every now and then. I basically try to keep it to around 50mg or less per day (plus I don't want it interfering with my sleep). I do avoid lunch meat unless its been heated beforehand and I won't eat raw sushi but that's really about it for me. 

My Doctor gave us the same 200 mg limit. I wound up with a coffee aversion the first trimester and just stuck with decaf and non-caffeinated beverages after that. I still mostly avoid caffeinated coffee and alcohol for anxiety control purposes. 

Lunchmeat I avoided completely at first. I started eating warm lunch meat sandwiches around the halfway point. I avoided all types of sushi, even vegetarian, because there was no way to be sure that no cross contamination occurred.

1 hour ago, cascarones said:

My first OB rolled her eyes when I asked about caffeine and gave me handout on the debunking studies. I got told the fish thing and since I was vegetarian and on the thin side that was discussed more. She encouraged me to listen to my body and if I wanted meat (which I did end up wanting) to listen to it and to add in at least an extra serving of protein a day (egg or 1/2 cup of beans) and sip on a meal replacement shake in addition to meals. To aim for 2000 calories a day, not my usual diet of around 1400.

No lettuce/spinach that's been sitting out to avoid listeria and no drinks mixed in machines either. So no slurpees, which was sad to hear in 100+ weather when getting in and out of the car made me feel nauseous and faint from the heatwave smacking you in the face.

There have been conflicting studies about caffeine during pregnancy. Because of that, many organizations (March of Dimes for instance) still recommend the 200 mg limit - at least until more studies are done. 

I cut all caffeine when pregnant with #1, sushi wasn't heard of in DSM 20 years ago, or it was but it was those crazy liberal folks on the coasts eating that crap (we like our pig here in Iowa and good sushi here is relative even now). Processed lunch meat was still ok to eat as long as it wasn't a certain kind that I can't remember anymore.  I had an aversion to red meat, and had my whole life, it was just gross to me, which sucked because I was horribly anemic and had to take iron supplements and man are those things NASTY.

With #2 I drank a little caffeine (1 or 2 diet coke's a day) to keep me moving enough to chase #1 during that 1st trimester of exhaustion. Thankfully I'm not a coffee drinker, as a few days after I found out I was pregnant DH was making his morning cup & I walked into the kitchen with #1 promptly thrust the boy in his arms,  ran for the bathroom and barfed my guts out, walked into the kitchen, told DH to take the boy and his nasty ass coffee OUTSIDE.  Thankfully it was late Spring so it was warm.  Poor DH had to buy his coffee for about 4 months.  Everyone hated to be near me in the morning because they couldn't have coffee with in 50 feet of me, it smelled SO BAD.  They said to avoid uncooked lunch meat by this time and I had a visceral reaction to chicken,  but CRAVED red meat so I lived on steak and burgers, and still to this day love me a good medium rare steak, still can't do rare.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived