IGNORED

Fleecing the Sheep

oscar

After three Red Cross scandals in our county, it's gotten a lot harder to find large charities that I trust.

This! I would rather give directly to the people in need than to give to charities where I have no idea where the money goes or how it's distributed.

But a good organization does so much more good than anybody can do on their own. (Unless you're supporting someone every month, like someone mentioned.)

Like, AIM Patrol goes around to all the places homeless native people camp out/live and checks on them, figures out what they need, and tries to give it to them. They make peace between individuals, and keep track of folks who disappear. No one person could do that on their own.

On a larger scale, even if they have scandals and waste, nobody can do on their own what the Red Cross or OxFam or the Mennonite Relief Fund do (for instance, send in work crews to clean up post-flood housing, or secure the boundaries of refugee camps, or build municipal water systems in places that can't afford them.)

Archived