IGNORED

Jinjer 30: Exploring The Master's Seminary

Coconut Flan

On 9/15/2017 at 0:41 PM, Fundie Bunny said:

I don't know, Dolores is one of those names to me. Who looks at their precious (yes, i hate myself for even using that word :pb_lol:) newborn and say ''Yes, you look like your name is Pain. Because that's what you've brought you little bitch''

I have twin cousins named Dolores and Dierdre.

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a friend who named her son Everett. Jack & Cora are popular. I knew 5 people who named their daughters Emma in the space of a year. I worked with two of them. A former student is naming her daughter Faye. 

On 9/15/2017 at 3:19 PM, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Well, now I need to get my mom to join. She was class of '55! :my_biggrin:

I'll get my grandma to join! Class of '40. Maybe? 

15 hours ago, cascarones said:

She got to name the whole litter, so there's Dolly, Jolene, Reba, Duncan and Fartface.

:pb_lol: I think I love your niece. How does Fartface fit into the Dolly Parton theme?

@Jenn The Heathen,  if the baby factory is shuttered, you can always name a dog Lucy.  It's a great name for a doggie.  I've known three memorable canine Lucys.  One of my daughter's college roomies had a Lab mix named Lucy who was bonkers for ball chasing.  She could do it all day long.  A dear neighbor had a rescued bull terrier named Lucy who lived to be 16.  She was 60 pounds of pure muscle and didn't like idling cars.  My terrier Lucy lived to be 15 1/2.  She was the sweetest dog ever.  We still miss her terribly!

We had 2 Lucy dogs, and currently have a Molly. She was named Lady when we got her from the pond. Boy, was that ever a misnamed dog. She'd been returned twice. She had issues. She's 9 now, and very happy, but still a little wild, even after training.

@PennySycamoreOh, yes.  Lucy is definitely in the memory bank of dog names.  We currently have a 1.5 year old male poodle yorkie named Milo.  He's a little bit of a nut, but I think a friend would be good for him!

For baby #2 I like Alessia or Genevieve for a girl. Husband isn't a fan of Alessia but loves Genevieve and is basically set on that being our next baby's name if it's a girl. We like to use the middle name spot to honor family, so middle name would be the same as my grandmother's as she passed away this year.

The great debate has always been boy names. Husband is a Jr. He would like a son to be [his name] III, particularly since his father passed away some time ago. Which I do get, but I also have never liked passing on first names and I feel that name suffixes beyond Jr. sound pretentious (no offense to anyone who likes them or has one, it's just not my style). My compromise is that a son gets a unique first name and my husband's first name as a middle name (husband doesn't have a middle name). He's about 80% on board with that although he still likes to randomly bring up "how good [his name] III would sound."

Funny enough when I was younger I loved J names. My Sim always had at least two kids and I always used the names Jayden and Jasmine. Would not use those names now for my real kids (nothing wrong with them, my style has just changed since I was a teenager!) although our current front runner for a boy name is, in fact, a J name!

I have an old lady name that I hated it because I was bullied all through high school, my generation is full of Jessica's and cutesy names. Funny thing is, when I lived in Europe and now in probably the most cultural and important city of Latin America, my name is a beautiful common-ish name, and now I absolutely love old lady names... Matilda is on my list of future daughter names, also Agatha, Margot, Beatrice, Adelaide, Emilia, and for boys I love Sebastian a lot, not quite sure about other names.

Classic and old names gives certain distinction to the person, is not the same being Madysynn Smith to being Beatrice Smith.

2 minutes ago, Dogalog said:

Re: Beatrice

An Aussie d-list celeb had a baby and named her Beatrix Belle Box (Box is the surname). The child is known as Trixie. 

BBB!!!

slightly reminds me of Kill Bill. Her name is Beatrix and her daughter is Beebee. Lol.

I named my current vehicle Beatrice. Okay, my son did, since we were reading ASOUE.

9 minutes ago, Dogalog said:

Re: Beatrice

An Aussie d-list celeb had a baby and named her Beatrix Belle Box (Box is the surname). The child is known as Trixie. 

You forgot to mention mum's name is Fifi.

They're Fifi and Trixie Belle. Like Fifi Trixibelle Geldof.

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

:pb_lol: I think I love your niece. How does Fartface fit into the Dolly Parton theme?

Fartface was named because he always looks like he just smelled something awful and for a four year old this is irrefutable proof that your face can get stuck that way. Doesn't really fit with Dolly, unless we consider that parts of her face are less mobile these days. Fartface and Jolene got adopted together and presumably he got a better name! Dolly and Duncan are together and Reba got eaten by a coyote :(

Lucy: Our kitty was a former Lucy from her adoption paperwork! She didn't respond to it, but it was when she was still feral and simply tracked by her tagged ear.

@VineHeart137 I worked with someone years ago whose son was called " Trace" After some time I discovered his nickname was "Tres" (Spanish for "three") i.e.: first name, middle name, last name, the third. Don't know how they spelled it, but it was a cute nickname which passed for a first name.

I'm curious how the name Gustav is viewed by our Scandinavian members? This was my Swedish grandpa's name, and my husband is pretty gung-ho about naming a potential son this. I'm kind of on the fence as "Gus" is just such a grandpa name to me - the only time I hear it is when someone is talking about an older man or a diner (we live in the US). I thought about 10 years ago there was an upswing of the name Gus, but I haven't really heard of any kids named this in real life. I was wondering if the name is viewed similarly in Sweden?

24 minutes ago, ThunderRolls said:

I thought about 10 years ago there was an upswing of the name Gus, but I haven't really heard of any kids named this in real life.

My daughter's classmate has a brother named Gus.  He's 3.  I'm in the US and have never met another one.

I could see Gus coming back! Psych was a pretty popular show* and Dulé Hill is one seriously gorgeous man. 

*Was anyone else shocked that Corbin Bernsen is a fundie?? I watched clips from some of his mega Jesusy movies and dang.

49 minutes ago, MathQueen said:

@VineHeart137 I worked with someone years ago whose son was called " Trace" After some time I discovered his nickname was "Tres" (Spanish for "three") i.e.: first name, middle name, last name, the third. Don't know how they spelled it, but it was a cute nickname which passed for a first name.

I went to several school dances with a "Tres". He was a third, but it's also a nickname for Chester! We'll always be bonded by the times he panicked and shaved his head the day of the school dance, homecoming mum exchanges, and the bizarre, purple sequined tulle number (yay hand me downs!) I was forced to wear and he tore up dancing. 

Context: Texas does a thing with homecoming mums. Think Josie's light up crown, fake flowers, ribbons, cow bells and a teddy bear as massive as possible from your date. Girls make nice arm mum bands with fake flowers and ribbons for their dates. Except girls also make mums for all of their friends so homecoming means walking through school looking like a parade float.

Spoiler

Here's what your date would give you, plus you'd wear all of the other ones you got.

4d6206abeac4308a1ae38f8b91dd532c--homecoming-mums-ladies-wear.jpg.74a20e27af20c66dfb404303485617d2.jpg

16 minutes ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

Was anyone else shocked that Corbin Bernsen is a fundie?? I watched clips from some of his mega Jesusy movies and dang.

That's news to me! I feel like being a fundie and a hollywood actor don't mix... And didn't he get divorced and remarried?

@Gillyweed He wrote and acted in "Christian Mingle" and I think he had a role in that total creepshow "Voiceless" too.

I just did a quick Google and I guess he became religious after his wife had to have a late term abortion. That's something that we almost had to face and it is hard. I can completely understand having to go through that causing one to turn to faith. 

That being said, supporting "Voiceless" (an anti choice propaganda film) after utilizing legal, safe, medically supervised abortion to save his wife's life? That's cold.  

The classic name trend for girls is a big thing in Germany right now. There are plenty of girls named Emma / Emily / Emilia / Sophie/ Sofie / Sophia / Charlotte / Ida / Mathilda / Olivia.

It was indeed hard to take them off our list and maybe we will look at the babe and still use one of them.

It will be easier for boys names. The last trend were cutesy short names like Finn or Nils or names that would be seen as very American like Justin / Dustin / Aiden. Not the route we will go even if we will make sure the name will work in both parts of our families (GER+UK). Classic names for boys are becoming a thing but I haven't seen my favourites being used (partly because they are very English). 

What we will do is going with a theme though. My husband has James as a second name as does his father, his cousins and 3 of our 4 nephews (his oldest brother has another second name as does his first son). Our boy will be a [..] James as well. I and my brothers have all two names and one starts with a J (only one is called by the J-name though). We both love the idea of a passed down name so we might have maybe Jane as a second name for all the girls we get. Or my mother's name. I would gladly change my J-name with hers.

Wonder why I am very prone to biblical names because we are not very religious people.

And it is so interesting to read about your name choices/wishes and see what it on trend in other countries.

This is random, but I was watching a few clips of the show on YouTube tonight, and it seems that Jinger's face has cleared up quite a bit since she got married. Could just be that she has more time and money to spend on skincare, but one of the easiest ways for people to clear up acne is birth control.

4 hours ago, FecundFundieFundus said:

I could see Gus coming back! Psych was a pretty popular show* and Dulé Hill is one seriously gorgeous man. 

*Was anyone else shocked that Corbin Bernsen is a fundie?? I watched clips from some of his mega Jesusy movies and dang.

I was very surprised to learn that. 

4 hours ago, ThunderRolls said:

I'm curious how the name Gustav is viewed by our Scandinavian members? This was my Swedish grandpa's name, and my husband is pretty gung-ho about naming a potential son this. I'm kind of on the fence as "Gus" is just such a grandpa name to me - the only time I hear it is when someone is talking about an older man or a diner (we live in the US). I thought about 10 years ago there was an upswing of the name Gus, but I haven't really heard of any kids named this in real life. I was wondering if the name is viewed similarly in Sweden?

My dad's family is all Swedish decent or Norwegian decent and because of that I have a soft spot for Swedish and Norwegian names there's so many great ones. Gustav, Gus is a great name for a kid. 

1 hour ago, ShoutySpice said:

This is random, but I was watching a few clips of the show on YouTube tonight, and it seems that Jinger's face has cleared up quite a bit since she got married. Could just be that she has more time and money to spend on skincare, but one of the easiest ways for people to clear up acne is birth control.

Even if she's not using birth control, she's also eating a lot healthier and fresher food which can help too.

She's probably got more time to cook, can afford better things because they don't need 20+ portions, and it seems like Jeremy has a wider variety and that's enabling her to expand her pallet and try new things.

Anyway you look at it, she looks happy and healthy and that is the most important part!

My mum is a Lynda and apparently there is a club called the Linda Club devoted to Lindas around the globe. It even has an annual convention! I should add my mum is not involved in the Linda Club in any way but it always makes me laugh. 

I am another Jennifer (Jenny).

Son's first name is like actor Clift or Burns from the Simpsons or the capital of Alabama. It is shortened to The Full .......  Since it is an M name I was relieved when Mason was named! Son's first middle name is same as his dad's - it is unusual; the name of a Cornish saint and there is a town of the name in Cornwall, including a famous harbour, creek and bridge and a church of the saint. There is also a Laura Ashley striped print of this name. Another M name. I was given free rein on son's second middle name. I chose John!

Emma was popular in the UK around the time I was at school (I am 45). 3 Emmas in my class! 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived