IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M-Squad Pt 13: Awaiting M5

choralcrusader8613

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I hang out with my nieces and nephew (23 months, 19 months and 19 months) we watch a lot of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and it's actually a super fun show. 

They announced Meredith late, didn't they? I'm guessing this baby will be announced late as well. 

4 hours ago, WiseGirl said:

Nowadays my preschool students love Pete the Cat. Look it up and you're welcome in advance for having that sneaker song taking up precious brain/memory space.

I have to admit that I adore Pete the Cat.  Can't wait for my youngest to get into him.  He just has that lovable cool cat swagger.

Sesame Street gets my vote for best kids show.  Has anyone watched the Elmo/Kevin Clash documentary?  

Do the Duggars let their kids watch any tv?  Would VeggieTales be acceptable?

I watched about 5 minutes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood before I banned my two year old from ever watching it again. I couldn't take how they were speaking, then making animal noises, then speaking again. "I would like a glass of milk meow meow." omfg kill me.

Quinn1 went through a Calliou phase, which was awful but we kind of used it as a learning tool. "See, Calliou is a brat, don't act like Calliou."

Yo Gabba Gabba was always my favorite toddler show. It was weird, they loved it, and some of my favorite bands and actors would occasionally pop up. 

9 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I watched about 5 minutes of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood before I banned my two year old from ever watching it again. I couldn't take how they were speaking, then making animal noises, then speaking again. "I would like a glass of milk meow meow." omfg kill me.

Ugh yes that's Katerina Kitty Cat, can't stand her. O the Owl does it too but I don't find him as grating (but also I don't understand why he gets to be butt-ass naked when all the other animal characters wear clothes).

I like the episodes that mainly feature Daniel, his family, and Miss Elaina and her family, and not the other kids lol. If you ever want to give it another shot I do think it's a good show for both kids and parents. It gives kids tools to deal with their feelings in an appropriate manner, and it also gives parents examples of ways to calmly and effectively handle negative behavior in children.

I guarantee no one hates Barney more than Martin Pistorius.

To quote a post that was originally on tumblr:

So, this guy, Martin Pistorius, fell into a coma when he was 12 years old and eventually awoke completely paralyzed, at least physically. He was misdiagnosed. Doctors believed he was in a completely vegetative state, but in reality, he had regained full consciousness and awareness. He just didn’t possess any motor function, so he couldn’t communicate to anyone that he was alive in there. He lived this way for 12 years before he overcame it by sheer force of will and was given the tools to communicate. He tells his story in his book, Ghost Boy. Since then he’s also been the subject of the first episode of Invisibilia on NPR and had his own TedTalk.

Anyway, the breaking point that incited his plan of escape was being forced to watch Barney reruns all day, everyday at his care center. Sitting in front of the TV, he learned to tell the time by the shadows on the wall. If he had time he could know when Barney would end. With the ability to measure his days, he was able to pull himself out of the void and ultimately start down the path to recovery. Today, Martin can communicate whatever he wants with the help of a computer program, but there’s one thing he can’t articulate: “I cannot even express to you how much I hated Barney.”

So it turns out that the primal hatred people have toward Barney is strong enough to pull a disembodied consciousness out of the abyss of existential despair and into the physical world out of pure spite

He really is a fascinating person and I would recommend his book, Ghost Boy, if you're interested.

@freshlemonade I feel like I remember them watching a veggie tales episode on the bus in one of the earlier seasons. Of course, it was followed up quickly with "We only let them watch educational videos". 

8 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I guarantee no one hates Barney more than Martin Pistorius.

To quote a post that was originally on tumblr:

He really is a fascinating person and I would recommend his book, Ghost Boy, if you're interested.

He really is fascinating! Highly recommend it too! Thanks for reminding me about him!

But on another Barney note...

I have worked with children and young adults with disabilities for 20 years. I have a 13 year old daughter with severe non verbal autism. I also have an 18 year old with moderate autism who spends about 50% of his time with us while his mom travels for work. We have done this for about 6 years. The two of them ROCK OUT to some Barney. I have found that Barney is universally revered by folks who are moderately to severely affected with autism or DS. It is the craziest phenomenon. Barney has soothed more epic meltdowns than I ever care to remember-across the board.  Maybe it is the sing-song simple repetition that is so attractive. It definitely escapes me. But all these years later, it works. 

We went to Universal Studios in Florida 2 years ago and they have the whole Barney park and the  show. They go through the line and pick out (special needs) adults and kids to sit on the front row and then do a meet and greet with Barney after his show ( I KID YOU NOT ). Naturally we were especially flappy happy while waiting, so we were chosen. So was an adult male with severe autism and a teen with DS. A  tween girl meeting Justin Bieber could not have been more excited than these three. MAJOR FANGIRLING going on. 

But I will still say, I hate Barney. I keep him around because of necessity. But he's close to Caillou level in my own personal Satan's army. 

@HarleyQuinn Yo Gabba Gabba is so good! It came out while I was in High School, but some friends and I still went to a live performance. It was so fun, and very welcoming for both adults and kids.

When I was little, my favorite kids shows were mostly on PBS or Nickelodeon. I loved Disney Movies, but was never that interested in Disney Channel. It just seemed cheap in comparison to the movies, even to my tiny child mind, haha.

I want to have kids in the next few years so I do like to keep my ears perked about these trends.

I love Little Bear with all my heart. I had Maurice Sendek's Little Bear books when i was a little girl and when they made it into a show my girls were small and we watched and watched. My 2nd favorite is Winnie the Pooh. Least favorite? Calliou. Seems a common sentiment lol...

Right now, if I never see another ep of horrid Henry I would be very happy. I like the little princess, but granddaughter #2 outgrew it LOL I am also very proud to say I have never been subject to watching frozen with her, not quite sure how I've escaped, but I plan to keep it that way! 

The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse hot dog song is burned somewhere permanently in my brain. Niece is currently obsessed my Little Ponies, which everyone is fine with as there is a lot of snark or moments for adults.

Veggie Tales wouldn't surprise me or the Noah's ark videos for the Duggars, we used both in the younger rooms at VBS. Or if they were allowed to play those Wisdom Tree video games/ other Christian games like them. Or even the bible VHS thing for kids, where you'd hear the lesson, hit pause and talk about it before moving on. I remember my Mum doing those with us.

I do hope Anna has an easy birth and is getting lots of help from the family with her other littles. I can't imagine it's very pleasant traveling or that being so far along during summer is at all fun. I'm finding it hard enough getting in and out of burning hot cars much earlier in pregnancy, the heat hits like a wave and throws ime out of sorts like it's never done before. It makes the plane scene extra irking, it wouldn't have taken anyone extra time to lend a hand or turn around. It also indicates to me her husband is equally unhelpful around the house or in chore running. 

I am in the fan camp for the Wiggles. They were they ONLY show I would happily put on the VCR for my kids. Funny  memory though, is that while my 2 year old LOVED the wiggle on TV, we took her to a live event and she was terrified! We had to leave. LOL Even though they are 15 and 17 now, occasionally events occur which causes my husband or myself to break out singing parts of their songs!

4 hours ago, viii said:

Whenever I hang out with my nieces and nephew (23 months, 19 months and 19 months) we watch a lot of Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood and it's actually a super fun show. 

They announced Meredith late, didn't they? I'm guessing this baby will be announced late as well. 

I babysat a 4 and 2 year old for awhile, Daniel Tiger is a big favorite! I actually thought the episodes were cute and had good lessons lol, and the baby-talk/animal-talk is annoying but definitely not the worst on kids shows. Having been a big Mr Rogers fan myself as a kid, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the references and the "new generation" of the Land of Make Believe (may or may not have done some Wikipedia reading to look for all the details haha...) 

I was a Barney and Pooh toddler & Sesame Street/other PBS shows once I started school. and just when I aged out of anything, my little brother started watching them.....so the Pooh and the Barney VHS tapes are a common thing in my house until I was probably 10ish....

I don't know anything about modern pre-school shows, but I will go on the record as saying that I like to watch old reruns of Pinwheel, the Canadian Sesame Street knockoff that used to run for hours on 80s Nickolodeon, on YouTube. Pinwheel just puts me into my "happy place" and in this political climate, that's just what you need sometimes. One of the interesting things about Pinwheel is that it contained cartoon shorts from around the world, including from behind the Iron Curtain, which got me interested in foreign animation at a young age. My favorite was a character known colloquially in English as "The Bunny in the Suitcase" and is quite famous in its native Hungary:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_kockásfülű_nyúl

I don't know anything about modern pre-school shows, but I will go on the record as saying that I like to watch old reruns of Pinwheel, the Canadian Sesame Street knockoff that used to run for hours on 80s Nickolodeon, on YouTube. Pinwheel just puts me into my "happy place" and in this political climate, that's just what you need sometimes. One of the interesting things about Pinwheel is that it contained cartoon shorts from around the world, including from behind the Iron Curtain, which got me interested in foreign animation at a young age. My favorite was a character known colloquially in English as "The Bunny in the Suitcase" and is quite famous in its native Hungary:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_kockásfülű_nyúl

Wow that just took me back!! Haven't thought about Pinwheel since i was a little kid but the song came right back to me. Our family had cable for a couple years in the mid 80s and I loved Nickelodeon. I also loved Mr. Wizard (I think that was the name!).

I had to look up the plane video to see and yes, that was gross the way Josh was acting. Reminds me of my ex who was never polite or thoughtful. He'd always walk in front of me but wouldn't think to open doors. I'll never forget. He would see me with handfuls of grocery bags and wouldn't think to open the front door for me. Glad I got away when I did because no doubt would he have treated me the same way if I was pregnant.

21 hours ago, Free Jana Duggar said:

Oh my! I have been hearing about the video of Josh and Anna getting off the plane in Rockford. I finally saw i

never mind - found it

I am currently waiting to hear of the birth of my friend's first child!

She was induced at 9pm last night and I have been checking phone like a mad woman.

Way more exciting than M5 :P

6 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

I am currently waiting to hear of the birth of my friend's first child!

She was induced at 9pm last night and I have been checking phone like a mad woman.

Way more exciting than M5 :P

Almost anything is.

5 hours ago, Nikedagain? said:

Caillou level

I want to become Secretary-General of the UN just so I can put "except for that little shit Caillou" after every clause in the Convention on the Rights of the Child.

Absolutely hated Caillou.  Thankfully my son did too. 

We watched Tellytubbies when he was pre-walking.  

Once he was in daycare and I only had him in the evenings, he watched Mighty Machines, while I cooked dinner.  That I could live with.

The most fun was when he was 10 or 11.  We watched 16 and Total Drama Island together.  16 was good, and Total Drama Island had some really funny shows.

Grand wolf and I watched Dr. Who together from the time he was about 10. You can never indoctrinate too young, ask the Duggars. I'm glad he chose that, and wasn't born into a cult. (Except the Dr. Who cult, of course.)

5 hours ago, LeftCoastLurker said:

I am in the fan camp for the Wiggles. They were they ONLY show I would happily put on the VCR for my kids. Funny  memory though, is that while my 2 year old LOVED the wiggle on TV, we took her to a live event and she was terrified! We had to leave. LOL Even though they are 15 and 17 now, occasionally events occur which causes my husband or myself to break out singing parts of their songs!

I didn't take mine to a life show because I knew probably wouldn't like it. I remember the puppet versions of Wiggles though - they were scarier than the Thunderbirds on acid - she would hide behind the couch and only peak out with one eye.  "They are very 'cary, Mommy".  "Want me to fast forward?"  "No, I will just wait".  And she'd pop back out as soon as they were gone.  

Okay, now I feel all sad and nostalgic because she's leaving for college next week.... 

I grew up on the original Sesame Street, Sharon, Lois, and Bram, etc.  My kids were into Bear in the Big Blue House, Backyardigans, Team UmiZoomi, Mike the Knight, Laurie Berkner kinda stuff. I hated Max and Ruby because of the way it seemed Ruby always bossed and/or manipulated Max. Never watched Cailou. My son loved everything and anything Cars and Phineas and Ferb for a good long while, now he is all about Teen Titans Go. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived