IGNORED

Josh, Anna, M-Squad Pt 13: Awaiting M5

choralcrusader8613

3 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Anyone remember H.R. Pufnstuf?  It was so weird.  Yes, I'm old.

OMG. Is this where Land of the Lost came from? I was terrified of those damn sleestacks. I still have nightmare of those things, after 30-some years. 

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Karma said:

I nearly downvoted the posters who trashed the Wiggles.  Many happy memories here of my daughter enjoying their concerts and videos (pre DVD days).  Thankyou @Kangaroo for defending them!  

And yes, they were formed as the result of a college (I don't think it was a uni at that time) assignment.  My friend was in the year below them doing the same course.  

I couldnt resist, my finger did it on its own to the first one i saw - sorry to the OP but you are talking about one of our national treasures here! Also the Wiggles are not just popular in Australia. They are a global phenomenon (they didnt break into the US until almost 10 years later) There is a reason they are still around after 26 years and worth billions. I do get it because they are annoying but they are the nicest guys and NOT CREEPY! Stupid looking like most childrens entertainers yes. Dont tar them them and throw feathers please. Captain Feathersword would be most upset LOL

4 hours ago, Pandora Spocks said:

With Steve or Joe? I had such a crush on Steve at the time that I could ignore the annoying features of the show. True mom confessions, I guess.

This. show. is. so. annoying. (and whoever dresses that guy needs to be shot) and of course my almost 3 year old loves it. Thankfully or regretfully, he is Paw Patrol mad so I can always con him out of BC with a PP episode. Although much as i like paw patrol, i am noticing my husband and i are getting quite invested.... in mocking it with all its little unrealistic intricacies and the many questions its leaves adults pondering... #rubble 

I leave for a day to study and come back thread drift about kids shows!  Arthur is my absolute favorite!  I can't get into the new animation style or some of the new plots, but there's this comforting feeling about Elwood City that I just can't seem to explain.

I used to be sort of iffy about the Wiggles until my youngest sister (who is 10 years younger than me) got into them as a toddler.  We got a ton of their DVDs and CDs and my family and I all grew pretty fond of them.  We took my sister to a Wiggles concert for her third birthday, which ended up being my first concert as well.  While she fell asleep during it, we ended up having a great time!  Said sister just turned 13 last week!

19 hours ago, bal maiden said:

Mr Tumble creeps me out big time! If I encountered him in real life, I would be not so subtle ushering my kids away from him. 

I'm so glad it's not just me. Most of the people I say that to are completely baffled! It's just a gut feeling and I don't know why.

3 hours ago, Karma said:

Lol at how a single sentence can make me feel old.  We didn't get a colour tv until  I was nearly in high school.  

Oops, sorry! Didn't mean to make you feel old. For clarification purposes, cable was around when I was a kid, we just didn't have it because we were too poor to afford it. I was always jealous of my friends who had cable and could watch shows like Nickelodeon's Finders Keepers.

3 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Ohh now Sat morning or after school for me? The original Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, original Strawberry Shortcake,  original Jem and the Holograms, original Rainbow Brite, Gummi Bears and staying up late to watch Fraggle Rock on HBO!

I can't believe I forgot about He-Man and She-Ra, Strawberry Shortcake, and Rainbow Brite!

I also forgot that I used to watch Care Bears, original Alvin and the Chipmunks, Tiny Toons, and Inspector Gadget. Some of these I mostly watched as movies - The Chipmunk Adventure, Tiny Toons: How I Spent My Summer Vacation, two different Care Bears movies, and a live-action Rainbow Brite at the San Diego zoo. I also remember watching the original My Little Pony movie over and over.

41 minutes ago, helenprev said:

I'm so glad it's not just me. Most of the people I say that to are completely baffled! It's just a gut feeling and I don't know why.

I agree! I find him so creepy. And I hate his omnipresence on CBeebies. There's no escape!

I hate, hate, hate Bing. Can't watch it without wanting to throw something.

I remember watching the first episode of Inspector Gadget air back in the 80s. Loved it. And Dangermouse was my favourite. I have succeeded in steering my son towards it as well.

Just now, EmainMacha said:

And I hate his omnipresence on CBeebies. There's no escape!

Thankfully my youngest child is now 13 so I haven't had to watch CBeebies for a very long time!

(I do however have a very soft spot for The Dumping Ground on CBBC and will seek that out on iplayer all by myself!)

Aaaargh, Paw Patrol!  My little nephews love it, but I can't believe they're making shows on the Smurfette Principle in 2017 (the tl;dr: there are multiple male main characters, defined by different character traits, and one (or maybe 2) female ones, who are defined by being a girl)

All this talk of the Wiggles sent me looking through my old photo albums.  This little girl bopping away to the Wiggles is turning 21 in October!

IMG_1192.thumb.JPG.a5e6493b84b3ef1b6c0b99d0975aad29.JPG

8 hours ago, Shadoewolf said:

Ohh now Sat morning or after school for me? The original Transformers, Voltron, Thundercats, He-Man and She-Ra, original Strawberry Shortcake,  original Jem and the Holograms, original Rainbow Brite, Gummi Bears and staying up late to watch Fraggle Rock on HBO!

One of my kiddos other favorites, the Doodlebops. And LazyTown was seriously creepy. 

We must be about the same age, this was my favorite lineup but I will include Smurfs and Snorks to this.

My eldest loved the evil Teletubbies.

@Shadoewolf and I clearly had the same taste. I watched and loved every show you have mentioned. I had forgotten about Kids Incorporated as well. And Johnny Quest.  All great shows. 

Regarding the Wiggles, I understand they are an Australian treasure, that they actually were teachers and knew how to teach and reach children, however, when you have a child with autism and only listen to the same part of the song (note, not the whole song), it tends to color your goodwill towards the band.

All time loathing is for the Dance of the Cucumber by Veggie Tales. It was dance of the WiseGirl when that VHS tape bit the dust. 

9 hours ago, Karma said:

Lol at how a single sentence can make me feel old.  We didn't get a colour tv until  I was nearly in high school.  

Cable TV wasn't even invented when I was a kid, and a color TV didn't cross our door step until the 80s.

7 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

Cable TV wasn't even invented when I was a kid, and a color TV didn't cross our door step until the 80s.

OMG....this takes me back.....probably the mid to late 60's....gramma and gramps got the first color tv in the family. Every Friday night mom would take us over there so we could watch the Flintstones IN COLOR.....lol.  

No cable back then, but I do remember subscription tv.  I don't remember exactly how it worked ( we didn't have it) but I think you had to call to request a show.

What happened to Martin Pistorius is one of the things that terrifies me the most in life. I can't imagine being trapped in my own body like that.

And he had to suffer through Barney on top of it. That's awful. It's amazing what the rage of hating Barney can do. 

When I was really young as I said it was Fred Penner's Place, Mr. Dressup, Sesame Street, and the Care Bears. I adored the Care Bears. As I grew older, it was Inspector Gadget, Animaniacs, Looney Toons, The Might Morphin' Power Rangers, Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles and of course the Magic School Bus. That was also the time of Full House, Family Matters, and  Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. :P

18 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I love Little Bear with all my heart.

That was my FAVORITE kids TV show. I would always arrange our day so I could watch it with my kids. So kind and so soothing. I fangirl a little bear!

1 hour ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Oh - I forgot Captain Kangaroo!!! And Romper Room. :)

Romper room was just weird. One hosts would say "your other right hand" if a kid was using their left hand. It pissed my mother off  because she could tell from the time I was young that I would be left-handed. I also knew 2 sisters who were on that show for a week. 

My Saturday morning favorite: Scooby-Doo.

I would still watch the early Scooby-Doo shows (not the newer ones or the awful ones with Scrappy-Doo).

I was always a little sad that my kids never had the thrill of Saturday morning cartoons. With cable and VHS, cartoons are an anytime thing.

I love that we can amuse ourselves while waiting for M5. This is more fun, anyway. And now back to your regularly scheduled broadcast.

Does anyone remember Andy Pandy? Even as a pre schooler i found him too goody goody. Teddy was cool, though.

Bill and Ben, Woodentops.

Watch/Listen with Mother, Blue Peter, etc.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived