IGNORED

Lori Alexander 26: Fermented Pizza Crust Is More Important than Filling Her Empty Soul

47 minutes ago, EowynW said:

@Chocolatedefrauded haha not in my city. They all want degrees and experience but maybe in the next place we move to.  We live in a very pompous ass little town right now. 

That sucks, EowynW.

Beermeet, nope, no mailmen. I mean sit your butt in a chair for 8 hours jobs. Lots of people start out as clerks, keyboarders, that sort of thing. Google how to get a state job in your state.

i know several women who started with the state for the insurance & other benefits cause their husbands' jobs had crappy, expensive insurance & benefits or none at all. Then the women work hard & start moving up the ladder. It's great if one spouse is self-employed. Lots of vacation & sick days.

there are also federal jobs in various places - DOT, VA hospitals & offices, SS, lots of state capitals have federal jobs too. I know someone who loved being a secretary at the FBI field office & her bosses treated her very well.

I don't think I could work for the VA but I know a nurse there who makes about $80k. She has a lot of experience though, like 30 years.

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Chocolatedefrauded is right about the state and even local government jobs---definitely worth looking into. And the postal service is also worth investigating.

Librarians have always needed master's degrees, so that isn't a new thing--but most libraries employee clerical staff as well (often these are the people who check your books out, among other things), and in my library system no degree is required for those jobs. 

2 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Why the hell do they not just move there? What is keeping them in southern CA with all the thong wearing girls? Shouldn't they move to Door County where they can dwell on the lovely 24/7. 

Lori probably wouldn't survive a winter in Door County. She won't have access to precious fresh produce.

I'm not knocking people who live in areas with access to year round to fresh produce. However, Lori recently annoyed me when she suggested to reader to move to SoCal for fresh produce. Like her fangirls would be able to move there easily.

What the hell happened to make Lori so vile? I think the religion is an excuse; she'd be like this no matter what. Religion is just what she latched on to. But what precipitated this slide into joyless, legalistic thinking patterns? Was she always like thism

Playing catchup this evening.  Lori's skin/looks:  on board with the: she shouldn't look so rough for being as young as she is.  Also on board with the: smoking over the kitchen sink when no ones looking.  She just strikes me as unhealthy in general.

The out-poor contest:  I'll take that $9k a year and raise them a household with two young children and a full time working father who has two major heart attacks 11 months apart.  Even though the family moves back to moms family land, there are still medical bills, food, house note on a decade old mobile home, and vehicle maintenance.  Enter disability checks after almost a year on food stamps and mom sitting at night with an elderly lady in the community.  Surely it would be a sin to ignore God's good grace of the teaching assistant job opening up at the local school for mom to take in order to keep the household from falling apart.  These people do indeed swap pride for avarice.  For the record I do know a family who lived on that same income, they were farmers.  Like, acres an acres of soybean or cotton at a time, big farm.  So yeah, $9k was what they brought in as actual income, but there are a ton of subsidies from the government for farmers and the husband admitted that it's hard life to deal with.  They lived off the land, but it got old fast and he ended up turning wrenches in tractor shops to get the family out of debt.  

Lori's vacation:  spoiled ass gold digger.

@EowynW Just throwing it out there:  temp agencies.  The company I worked for used them exclusively for new hires.  I also have a childhood friend who has no degree at all but has used temp agencies to land good, stable jobs in insurance and secretarial work over the years.  

3 hours ago, Beermeet said:

@Chocolatedefrauded. I've thought about it but I don't see many in my area.  Maybe I don't know where to look.  Where do I look?

Try usajob.gov

Sorry:  usajobs.gov

17 hours ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Now that I think about it, if Lori is going to smoke something I think it should be marijuana.  She'd be less anxious and bitter, nicer, and may be able to let herself eat without such restriction.

Lori would never take up weed - and not just because marijuana is the gateway plant to Satan. If (and I preface this with an I'm not a doctor/psych disclaimer) Lori has issues with anxiety and food she would know about weed making you hungry. I just can't see her happy and giggling over potato chips with trans fats because who cares; she's more Type-A, I smoke to stay successful and thin, and nobody suspects a thing!

18 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

On fb Lori actually says she is very sorry to the latest woman who admits she is a stressed out single mom. She tries to get her to join her chat room. Yeah, I am sure someone who has no time and that stressed is going to fill out an application for a chat room that is equivalent to a loan application. 

Lori also says:

What are those options, Lori??? Please, I would like to know. I have googled every which way "ways to make money from home" and you come up with tons of lists and ideas, but none of them do I really find practical. One is sell you stuff on ebay? Brilliant! So you are left with a house and a chair. Then what? That only lasts for so long. The virtual assistant sounds like a good idea but so much of it all seems like scams. 

And does she not get that if you are working from home, you still need someone to tend to the children? Does she think you can just make all the kids nap in their rooms for 8 hours a day while the woman works?

And yeah yeah the church SHOULD be providing for you if widowed, but its NOT. Let's deal with reality here, not woulda coulda shoulda.  These families who brag of living on 9k a year with 10 kids should just take in the single moms. What is one more mouth to feed? With God all things are possible, right??

I hope that single mom doesn't join Lori's chat room. Lori is an idiot she doesn't list companies that do hire for at home positions. Apple does hire some people without IT backgrounds to be at Home Advisors. You have to live within certain areas and they train you. Apple and other companies that hire for at home customer or technical service require that you work in distraction free room with the door closed. There is a credit card company(can't remember which one) that requires candidates for at home jobs to provide pictures of their work spaces. I have also heard and read that some companies require that you provide proof of childcare if you are going to work from home and have kids.

A former co-worker's wife works from home doing customer service for LiveOps. She's considered an independent agent and is W9. She had pay for her own work computer and supplies. Her work shifts change every few months. Their kids were tweens and teens when she started doing that 8 years ago.  There wasn't a big worry for childcare during the school year. During the summer months her kids when to day camps or had summer jobs. Work at home jobs may not be ideal for women with very young children. A friend of mine does online tutoring from home. She only does 20 hours a week. But, she has a toddler and MIL or neighbor come over to watch the toddler.

Lori's back on the "A church should support widows" bullshit. Churches can't afford to support widows for years and years. She has never provided concrete proof of a church ever doing that. Some of Lori's fangirls have claimed similar things and again they never show proof of it. The fangirls are delusional as Lori. I recall years ago, there was a fangirl who said her family would support her and her kids if anything happened to her husband. Maybe, that fangirl has wealthy parents or relatives. If not, I think she was in lalaland. I do think it's shitty for an able bodied woman to except full on support from family/relatives in case something happens to the breadwinner.

Smokers: I am one. Fortunately I have plenty of extra chub in my face. My mother aged much like Lori, but she was another nasty, bitter old broad. 

Work at home: I need to reach out to my contacts and see if I can get some more free-lance gigs. 

@sawasdee you're not being intrusive love, we do have an attorney and we are filing a personal injury suit. 

DIY car repairs...a friend just did the brakes on my Mustang. The parts alone (just pads all the way 'round) were about 100 bucks. The alternator was 150-ish and the battery was about the same. The cheapest part we replaced was the serpentine belt and that was still 20 bucks. So...all together we've blown a shade over 400 bucks. 

That woman is SO far removed from the real world it's tragic. 

Just a note on working from home: Being self-employed is absolute death on taxes unless these women plan to not claim their income (risky business* indeed, but given Ken's stance on taxes/not paying taxes, I guess it wouldn't surprise me.) When you're self-employed, you're responsible for the entire social security tax (and Medicare tax). Doesn't sound like much, perhaps, but it ends up being almost 12.5 percent of what you earn (and 3 percent for Medicare). Add to that your regular federal taxes plus state taxes and any local/municipal taxes you might have, and you are paying a hefty, hefty chunk of money to the gov't. Now, for some of us, it's worth it. For me, I have disabilities that would make it hard to hold down a regular job with regular hours. Plus, being self-employed allows me to do kid stuff/school stuff when I need to and gives my husband more freedom in his work hours/days. 

But these women shouldn't kid themselves that it's a perfect solution. It isn't. It's just one option out of many.

*Not just because they could end up in the IRS' crosshairs but also because they are ultimately shortchanging themselves on their own social security. Stupid, stupid, stupid. 

eta: okay, someone has GOT to fill me in on the "million dollar tropical fish lifestyle" thing! 

Lori giving advice to widows is insanely unsupportable.  Has she ever personally paid the bills let alone budgeted?  Does she even know the what the costs of running a household are?  What do you pay in property taxes Lori because I'll bet you have no idea let alone your homeowners' insurance.  Do you even know where the fuse box is located, Lori?

20 minutes ago, So-Virgin-It-Hurts said:

Lori giving advice to widows is insanely unsupportable.  Has she ever personally paid the bills let alone budgeted?  Does she even know the what the costs of running a household are?  What do you pay in property taxes Lori because I'll bet you have no idea let alone your homeowners' insurance.  Do you even know where the fuse box is located, Lori?

During Ken's time on FJ, he mentioned disputes with Lori regarding her buying organic produce and expensive supplements. The vibe I got was that she wasn't budgeting. I can't remember if Ken mentioned how they resolved that issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Ken pays the bills and lets Lori buy whatever she wants in terms of groceries and household supplies.

Her advice to widows is awful and unsupportable. The fact that she expects widows and/or families to be supported by churches is crazy when she doesn't even tithe to churches or even has a slight idea on her past and current churches' financial statuses.

I don't think Lori has ever mentioned Survivor Social Security benefits in any of her advice to widows. But, many widows with kids would find it difficult to survive on SS benefits especially if the father/husband died fairly young and didn't have many years of work experience. Lori doesn't consider the health insurance needs of widows and their families and the housing costs. If a mother  is widowed and doesn't own her home outright, there is no way a church is going to pay that widow's mortgage and all her other expenses every month for years.

Lori's leghumper:

I've said it before and I'll say it always ..people aren't willing to go without just because " everyone else has it." Like cable, we've lived without it for years now. Saved hundreds of dollars! There's tons of ways to make staying at home realistic.

Lori's reply:

Most don't want to deny themselves of what they want, unfortunately. God tells us if we have food and clothing we should be content and all of us have WAY more than that! Our expectations are way out of proportion, sadly. Being home with our children is so much more important than having stuff.

Says Lori, who's in what, week SEVEN? of her summer-long vacation. :GRONDE:

Lori said she doesn't budget she just "doesn't spend more than Ken makes." How you do that without a semblance of a budget (even a verbal one), I will never know. 

She is starting week 8.  8 Weeks. 8 weeks of vacation at her family's lake house  There is no way any of her leghumper fangirl SAHMs with multiple children living on single incomes from hubs working  2 or more jobs could take an 8. Week. Vacation.

The only way this could ever happen if if the hub sent the SAHM and multiple children to some relative, preferably in the country, who was willing and able to support the SAHM and her brood for 8 weeks while hub was on his own.

But then Lori would say that the SAHM was gallavanting around outside the home and being selfish because she wasn't home slaving and submitting to the hub with 2 or more jobs.  The one she and the children never see because he's always at work. 

Anyone want to bet they stay in Door County until after Labor Day?  

I sometimes wonder if Lori does have a few fangirls who are in the upper middle class range. The majority of the leg humpers appear not to be in that range and not many of them would be able to afford an 8 week vacation. I'm still perplexed that some of her lower to middle class fangirls haven't fully realized that Lori has much more than them and at the end of the day she can't relate to them. She isn't denying herself anything. If she was-she would be shopping at thrift stores, she wouldn't have a an iPhone, computers, and an iPad.

There are parts of New Mexico usually in the northern part, where wealthy people from other states spend their summers in summer homes or condos. Some of the husbands are probably working remotely. I don't think a lot of those wealthy women are like Lori. They aren't running blogs encouraging poor or middle class woman to have a bunch of kids and live off of one possibly low income.

Some of the fangirls' suggestions of making it possible to stay at home do not always work for everyone. In some high cost of living areas, two incomes are needed even if you don't have cable, take vacations, etc.

You might say that Lori is something of an unreliable historian where the budget is concerned.

Lori Alexander:

No, we've never needed to budget since we've always been careful to not spend more than he makes, even when we made very little.

Also, Lori Alexander:

It was during this time that Ken and I argued about money. I finally asked him to give me a budget and he did. 

A tip from Lori's blog?  Sure:

A good budget is a necessity. 

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

Lori said she doesn't budget she just "doesn't spend more than Ken makes." How you do that without a semblance of a budget (even a verbal one), I will never know. 

Well, for starters, you need an extremely generous amount of disposable income. 

The way she contradicts herself is so bizarre. It's like she's playing a character and she can't remember what she's already used as story line. 

2 hours ago, Red Hair, Black Dress said:

*snipped quote*

The only way this could ever happen if if the hub sent the SAHM and multiple children to some relative, preferably in the country, who was willing and able to support the SAHM and her brood for 8 weeks while hub was on his own.

My grandmother (widowed at a young age) sent her three young children off to live with her sister during the summers so that she (Grandmother) could keep working even though my mom and uncles were out of school.

And yes, it WAS out in the country! :) Mom has some great memories of her summers in Iowa.

So not even in Lori's "good ol' days" of the 1950's was the church supporting widows. Grandmother had to work to keep a roof over her and her children's heads.

31 minutes ago, Emilycharlotte said:

Well, for starters, you need an extremely generous amount of disposable income. 

I mean, I live a comfortable life, but I still have to know what I can spend and when.

3 hours ago, jerkit said:

I'd guess Ken handles the bills (thus the budget) and gives Lori an allowance. Lori probably doesn't have the least idea what's going on with their finances. 

23 hours ago, Sobeknofret said:

What the hell happened to make Lori so vile? I think the religion is an excuse; she'd be like this no matter what. Religion is just what she latched on to. But what precipitated this slide into joyless, legalistic thinking patterns? Was she always like thism

Maybe marrying a man you don't love because you are lazy and just want his paycheck while you sloth around the house all day with a nanny/housekeeper?    I know I would go out of my mind with the boredom of that and I've been disabled (so that covers here "but I was so ill) and in chronic pain for 20 years.

In fact, a few months after I was disabled, when I started feeling better, despite the chronic pain, I was going OUT OF MY MIND with boredom.  So I got some books and taught myself HTML and made a personal home page (that I redesigned about every 2 weeks as I learned new stuff).  Later on, I started taking online classes in various subjects that interested me.  Some years after that, I inherited FJ and now it sucks up my time, but is rarely boring ;)

Lori doesn't seem to have any hobbies or friends and no desire to enrich her knowledge base.  She doesn't have anything better to do than boss people around on the internet.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived