IGNORED

John Shrader 13: Is the End Near? (In Kafue?)

Coconut Flan

Messing with someone else's money in such a cultural situation might be the last push needed to rid Kafue of his corrupting influence. There are already enough rumblings of discontent with him from the locals. I don't imagine they would continue to put up with him if he stepped in to take from a grieving family like that. I hope it doesn't come to that, but I could see people working to run him out of town if so.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, SuchABlessing said:

Where is it that you live?

I'm in a country bordering the one John is in. I checked with a Zambian friend before posting though. She confirmed that the funeral donation system works the same where she is from. 

1 hour ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I'm in a country bordering the one John is in. I checked with a Zambian friend before posting though. She confirmed that the funeral donation system works the same where she is from. 

I can just see John: 

"My donation to the family of the deceased is bloviating for over an hour & singing (screaming) inappropriate hymns & alligator sobbing & photographing the entire event for FREE - normally I would charge a (not so small) fee. Oh. And also my wife will cook food for your funeral because God knows I'll need something American enough that I can stomach to eat it. Like potato salad or jello."

What stands out to me the most in the picture of him bending over his "best friend's" grave is the fact he kept his hat on.

You are paying respects at a graveside, John. Remove the f-ing hat, a-hole. 

1 hour ago, Season of life... said:

What stands out to me the most in the picture of him bending over his "best friend's" grave is the fact he kept his hat on.

You are paying respects at a graveside, John. Remove the f-ing hat, a-hole. 

But then how would he look like a Victorian colonial administrator come to rule over the natives?!?

John is such a dickhead.

7 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

That's such a great custom. I know here in the US funerals are ridiculously expensive. We just buried my grandmother in law last winter and the cost had to have been over $20,000 when you include the grave and all. 

Don't mind me being nosy about where you live - unlike John, I actually love learning about different cultures and customs. 

It's the same custom in Thailand - you put money in an envelope, and give it to the family, usually as you leave the temple after the cremation. In return, they give you a memento of the deceased , most often a tiny buddha amulet.

ETA It's very similar at weddings - money in an envelope for the bride and groom, a memento - often, for some reason, miniature salt and pepper holders - for the guests.

1 minute ago, sawasdee said:

It's the same custom in Thailand - you put money in an envelope, and give it to the family, usually as you leave the temple. In return, they give you a memento of the deceased , most often a tiny buddha amulet.

Well, see, that's why John wouldn't give any money... because he could never accept anything that might resemble or refer to "heathenism". So he 'couldn't in good conscience contribute to such a practice.'

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:39 AM, Howl said:

John's dad's church is in Katy, TX  (elevation 141'),  a small town on the interstate 30 miles due west of downtown Houston, and being encroached on by relentless suburban sprawl.  Katy had a tornado a few days ago; they've already been soaked and have a minimum of 20" of additional rain forecast over the next three to four days. Katy is flat, flat, flat, cotton field country (maybe rice) with not much opportunity for run off.   A quick check of google maps shows Rick Shrader's church on the west edge of Katy, abutting farm fields, with a small dry creek and some woods to the immediate south.  To clarify for y'all who live in parts of the country where a creek is more like a Texas river (I'm talking about you, Maine), the little creek is likely a small, shallow drainage that runs only when it rains.

Daddy Schrader's congregation is likely suffering quite a bit from Harvey.  Besides that being rotten, it means that there will not be a lot of money available for love offerings to Zambia--trying to rebuild is going to take months if not years. John better prepare for a tighter budget for the near future.  (Maybe that's why he's hanging out near funerals in Zambia.)

Also, hello everyone! Recently came out of lurkdom. I've been enjoying your takedown of the World's Worst Missionary!

3 hours ago, formerpastorswife said:

Well, see, that's why John wouldn't give any money... because he could never accept anything that might resemble or refer to "heathenism". So he 'couldn't in good conscience contribute to such a practice.'

Maybe, but I say he's too fucking cheap.

1 hour ago, BecauseScience said:

Daddy Schrader's congregation is likely suffering quite a bit from Harvey. 

Katy looks  to be a farming community at heart, and whatever is unharvested is likely lost.  Apparently, in that general part of Texas, the rice was harvested in time, but cotton (which was looking to be a bumper crop this year) may be rotting in soaked fields.

Katy does not appear to be under mandatory or voluntary evacuation orders, but the sheer volume of rain means they are affected to some degree. 

50 minutes ago, Howl said:

Katy looks  to be a farming community at heart, and whatever is unharvested is likely lost.  Apparently, in that general part of Texas, the rice was harvested in time, but cotton (which was looking to be a bumper crop this year) may be rotting in soaked fields.

Katy does not appear to be under mandatory or voluntary evacuation orders, but the sheer volume of rain means they are affected to some degree. 

I also imagine that members of the church will be more likely to donate what money they do have to family and friends who have been more severely affected in the Houston area post-Harvey. At least, I would hope that would be their priority!

Either way, I think John is set for money being a little tighter for awhile.

Flooding Update on Rick-Jodi Shrader and Tri-County Baptist Church and request for continued prayer

The water is inches from coming in their two story house and has been steadily rising. The house is sitting on concrete blocks and those blocks are just sitting on the soil with no tie downs. The house was built in 1915 and has been there on the church property for more than 30 years.

I'm personally concerned that the blocks might collapse if the soil is washed out. This would be dangerous as they're in the house. We're talking feet of water rushing like a river and rising fast.

If the water continues to rise it will then have all that force pushing against the house sitting on blocks.

I don't think my dad has discussed this with mom in order to spare her the concern, but dad did say he is thinking the water is coming in the house soon and very possibly the new church building.

It's already in the original building and the Fellowship Hall.

They're trusting the Lord through it all. Just like 30 years ago when this very same house burned. Their faith in God remains the same.

Yes, it sounds like Daddy is going to have bigger problems than making sure John has new toys to entertain him when he gets bored with his old ones. 

They should get the hell out of the house if there is any chance of it collapsing. 

I'm from Tennessee and it's not uncommon at all to receive monetary gifts after someone dies. Most of the time people ask for gifts to be given to a church or a charity, but we got a lot of cards with money after my dad died and I've seen my mom send it plenty too.

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Yes, it sounds like Daddy is going to have bigger problems than making sure John has new toys to entertain him when he gets bored with his old ones. 

They should get the hell out of the house if there is any chance of it collapsing. 

That is not a good situation.  It's been raining heavily all day and it is not going to let up--the radar doesn't show a break in the clouds until Wednesday afternoon. (I'm in Houston.)  Shraders, now is the time to trust the boat and not just prayer. Believe that God's hands are pointing to the Texas National Guard.

Much as I dislike what they unleashed on Zambia, I hope they'll be ok.

9 hours ago, BecauseScience said:

Daddy Schrader's congregation is likely suffering quite a bit from Harvey.  Besides that being rotten, it means that there will not be a lot of money available for love offerings to Zambia--trying to rebuild is going to take months if not years.

FEMA has already said they are going to be on the ground there for years.  NO is still recovering from Katrina and that was 12 years ago (tomorrow)

7 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I would hate for that to happen to anyone.

"Blessings, just woke up and can't talk or might wake mom. Water DOWN about a foot or more. Today is important for upper water runoff but to rise a foot and a half from here to Hwy 6 would be a lot of water with just minor rain last night. It was so close, about three inches. Humbled at this answer to prayer when so many are suffering. Keep praying! Love you."

Wow guys.

Looks like the Lord might spare their house and main church building. That is a tremendous answer to our much prayer. Please pray as well for several dear folks in the church whose houses were impacted by this horrific flood, as well as the many lost who've been devastated.

It looks pretty bad.

Spoiler

flood.thumb.jpg.3fef56fd47003f3e8fd1c3de4f42f962.jpg

26 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

It looks pretty bad.

Hide contents

flood.thumb.jpg.3fef56fd47003f3e8fd1c3de4f42f962.jpg

Wow. I wouldn't have stayed, I'm amazed they didn't evacuate sooner. That's terrifying. 

They just had the father from a family of 10 from Katy, Tx on CNN talking about how they had to be evacuated.  At first, I thought since they said parents and 8 kids it might be one of Daddy Rick's parishioners (and it still could be, obviously), but it seemed like some of the kids were actually grandkids and there was a huge gap between the 2 oldest kids and the rest of them, who were virtually stair step in ages.

19 hours ago, Granwych said:

Maybe, but I say he's too fucking cheap.

John takes donations; he doesn't give them.  

He probably arrived at the funeral loaded with tracts but I'm sure he didn't give the widow any money.  Perhaps he did the funeral free because Michael was such an old "dear" friend.

15 hours ago, BecauseScience said:

Much as I dislike what they unleashed on Zambia, I hope they'll be ok.

Seriously.  It looks bad.  I hope Rick and Jodi  have been evacuated by now.  God sent the weather warnings, the row boats, and the National Guard.  I hope they aren't still waiting for God's helicopters.

And this will definitely put a crimp in John's ability to grift from that area for a while.

20 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think my dad has discussed this with mom in order to spare her the concern, but dad did say he is thinking the water is coming in the house soon and very possibly the new church building.

Could you be more fucking patronizing? Like what, she's going to get ready to come back home and he's going to be like, oh BTW the entire house is washed away?

Johnny is bored of the whole hurricane thing and back to talking about the amazing new tracts he's printing on his grifted machines. He got some new inquiries from his funeral preaching, so he'll probably be even more encouraged to keep that shit up in the future.

Well, John claims that the flood waters are receding in Katy.  

*** 11 AM Central time Tuesday Update, the water continues to recede, so it seems almost positive that only the original building and the Fellowship Hall/Kitchen/Nursery/Classrooms/Bible Institute building has flooded. 

The house and Sanctuary and several other modular buildings have been spared. 

Praise the Lord. Thanks for praying dearly beloved. We had prayer from Canada to Korea to Singapore to Zambia! (Not to fail to mention all of you in America!) ***

No need to waste any more prayers for Texas when John needs them for himself.  And he's back to being self-centered:

Printin' an' Foldin' Time! Need more "Ammo"

Today I'm folding 2,500 Vernacular Chinyanja Gospel tracts, 2,000 English tracts, and printing 2,500 Nyanja Tracts and 2,500 English "Truth Teller" tracts.

Pray these machines just keep working! Many people here have never heard a clear pure Biblical Gospel message!

So many to reach. The task is so great.

We had two women who heard me preach at Michael's funeral come last Saturday after outreach asking for the "Seven S" Bible study, we got to spend about two hours with them, and then two different ladies came for the same Monday, and we had some visitors on Sunday that also heard the preaching at the funeral.

Please don't stop praying for us. Lost souls are dying every day. How we need your prayers.

Thank you friends.

One leg-humper responded by saying:  "So very little time left to get the truth out Brother."

The apocalypse is at hand, my friends.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

One leg-humper responded by saying:  "So very little time left to get the truth out Brother."

The apocalypse is at hand, my friends.

Well let's hope so, FINALLY.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived