IGNORED

Maxwell 11: Anna Marie Has Conceived - Again

Coconut Flan

1 hour ago, catlady said:

27 hours in 5 days?  that's part time work, Sarah.  most of us do 27 hours in 3 days, then put in 2 more full days after that.  so the sisters got to play with balloons and painting for 5.4 hours per day.  i'm really not impressed, because that sounds like a vacation to me.

A friend of mine got a job at the Exhibition. Her job was to sit at a booth selling stuff. The building was open from 10AM to 10PM, and of course she had to be there early to open up and late to close. That's around 13 hours of work, not counting in travel time. My friend lived with her parents at the time too, just like Sarah. Difference is, she did this job during summer break in highschool.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, catlady said:

27 hours in 5 days?  that's part time work, Sarah.  most of us do 27 hours in 3 days, then put in 2 more full days after that.  so the sisters got to play with balloons and painting for 5.4 hours per day.  i'm really not impressed, because that sounds like a vacation to me.

AND had they decided they were over it or too hot or cold, they could've walked away without a backward glance. Ok, probably they wouldn't see an animal cracker for a month. But lose pay, or medical benefits, or vacation time??? Pfoo! Not EVEN on their radar.

10 hours ago, Ozlsn said:

I was trying to work out which soap operas most resembled various families the other day while driving  (crappy traffic) - I think the Maxwells are possibly Days Of Our Lives. Tune in 6 months later and nothing has happened. Two years later and a dog has gained weight. 

Days of Our Lives was on in the waiting room when I took my daughter to the dentist Monday afternoon.  I haven't seen it in 20 years or so, but I swear I think I could pick up some of the storylines easily.  Marlena Evans' evil twin is still evil.  I saw other characters I recognized.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Days of Our Lives was on in the waiting room when I took my daughter to the dentist Monday afternoon.  I haven't seen it in 20 years or so, but I swear I think I could pick up some of the storylines easily.  Marlena Evans' evil twin is still evil.  I saw other characters I recognized.

Dedria Hall is an identical twin. I wonder if her twin plays her evil twin. 

@Jana814, yep, Andrea Hall has played Marlena's evil twin, Samantha although she doesn't currently do so.  I think they created the evil twin after they discovered that Deidre Hall had an identical twin sister.

I am going to the WI state fair this weekend. It's my favorite summer event. If I see a Lolly like clown I'll toss my beer at it. If I see kids getting lured towards religious bullshit with cheap ploys I will use my sarcasm in their parent's presence and express a few choice words towards those pulling bait & switch for their God or cult leader.

I am pretty sure, though, that I will simply have a delightful day eating all the food, seeing all the animals, looking at all the hokey things being sold, and having adult beverages & listening to some music. Unlike a Maxwell day at the fair, I go for the fun & experiences, not to bribe kids for my god or pretend there is sure me other reasin. The fair is fun and interesting and that's reason enough to go.

I am also going with my best friend, who I met more than 25 years ago at WORK. Not a man or relative in sight since we are big girls and don't need anyone to control us and we sure as hell don't need accountability partners.

Religious fanatics beware-my fair ain't for you.

Last time I watched Days of Our Lives, Marlena was possessed by the devil. I don't remember an evil twin. Maybe that came later. I used to watch soap operas a lot with my grandmother, heh.

Okay, so I have been following the Maxwells for about 15(!) years, and I have never thought they were smug. I mean, they're certainly frustrating in that they isolate themselves and never question their beliefs and get preachy and sometimes think they're smarter or more talented than they are, but I don't think they're smugger than any other fundies. When I think of a smug fundie, I think of Doug Phillips or someone like that. I don't know if I think another fundie family is directly comparable to the Maxwells, really. They are in their own category of fundie. Though they could compete with the Arndts for most boring family. Also, I think the Maxwells are more isolated than they used to be. They got rid of the MOTH boards years ago. (Poor Sarah spent 4 hours a day approving comments and I believe there were restrictions on what women could post b/c Steve and Teri were worried about Sarah seeing grownup stuff. I think those were factors in shutting down the boards. Anybody else remember the boards?) They're not doing conferences like they used to. The unmarried kidults seem to be traveling by themselves more now though, which is good. Do they still go around the neighborhood singing carols at Christmas time?

And here's an unpopular opinion: I think Chris is good-looking. Yes, Prissy Chris is cuter than Stud John. Ha. Though John is fairly cute too. The other male kidults don't do anything for me.

22 hours ago, fundiefan said:

I am going to the WI state fair this weekend. It's my favorite summer event.

Fellow Wisconsinite here, have fun!  My husband and I are going to  celebrate National Mustard Day at the Mustard Museum in Middleton on Saturday :) 

http://mustardmuseum.com/  

19 hours ago, Corntree said:

Okay, so I have been following the Maxwells for about 15(!) years, and I have never thought they were smug.

I've followed the Maxwell's for about 10 years, so you've got me beat!  I remember their very first blog posts which dealt with getting a booth at the county fair and handing out water, balloon animals and tracts!  Some things never change, especially in Maxhell.

I do get a smug feeling from some of their posts, and from the Moody books.  When Sarah puts pictures up of the siblings doing things together and writes things like, "Imagine brothers and sisters who like each other!", I hear it said in a smug, look at us, we know best, kind of a way.  She might not intend it that way, but it comes across to me like that.

While you'll never convince me Christopher is better looking than John, I agree he is nice looking, if a bit bland, white bread.  I do think he looks good with the bit of scruff.  Takes away the blandness.

Just thought of NR-Anna's varicose vein problems and had a flashback: One of my mom's friends had 12 kids (no twins, no adoptions). One day, I stopped by her house on an errand, and her back was to me as she was washing dishes. I thought she was wearing blue knee socks. No--it was varicose veins.  

My paternal grandmother, in a period of 21 years, had nine live births and an estimated 22 miscarriages, of which at least one was twins. (My second-oldest aunt dropped out of school to be a sister-mom.)  

Yes, I know some mothers of many who thrive, but pregnancy and childbirth do take a toll and are far from a picnic.

Jesse looks like a real life version of Smithers from The Simpsons  and every time I see photos of him that is among the first things to come to mind.

6 hours ago, Hane said:

My paternal grandmother, in a period of 21 years, had nine live births and an estimated 22 miscarriages, of which at least one was twins. 

Twenty two???? That poor woman! That's unfathomable to me. 

@SuchABlessing, when Nonni found about condoms and mentioned them to her husband, Nonno (who was by all reports a nice guy) said, "Nice women don't use things like those."

New post up, really snarkalicious.   Griselda Teri writes about how she was inspired by Poor Sarah to read through her bible in a year.  Isn't that what they do all day long besides clean ceiling fans and polish cabinets?

Why would it even take that long? It's not like the girls or Teri have jobs or anything else going on. 

but Bibles don’t hold up like they used to, and mine are regularly needing to be replaced.

I'm not sure why, but I found this statement to be odd. 

Bibles don't hold up like they used to?? My great grandmother's Bible has the same thin pages that mine does - not quite as thin as tissue paper. If anything, some of the newer ones might have sturdier pages but that would make them HUGE. 

On another note; I wonder if they let the little ones have kids' Bibles or do their pre-schoolers have to learn from KJV??  

3 hours ago, SPHASH said:

New post up, really snarkalicious.   Griselda Teri writes about how she was inspired by Poor Sarah to read through her bible in a year.  Isn't that what they do all day long besides clean ceiling fans and polish cabinets?

How many times can these people read the same book? It would be different if they were taking a course by a real theologian who would give them new insights. Or if they went to a real church and discussed their readings with others. But just reading the Bible over and over again for the sake of reading the Bible over and over again?

1 minute ago, usmcmom said:

I'm not sure why, but I found this statement to be odd. 

Bibles don't hold up like they used to?? My great grandmother's Bible has the same thin pages that mine does - not quite as thin as tissue paper. If anything, some of the newer ones might have sturdier pages but that would make them HUGE. 

On another note; I wonder if they let the little ones have kids' Bibles or do their pre-schoolers have to learn from KJV??  

They don't like Bible storybooks, the ones for very small children. So kids' Bibles are probably out, too.

serious question, as i have never replaced a Bible:  what does one do with an old/worn copy when one replaces it?   

5 minutes ago, catlady said:

serious question, as i have never replaced a Bible:  what does one do with an old/worn copy when one replaces it?   

I keep mine but I am getting ready to donate some to a bookstore or church. A new Bible can be expensive and I don't think the cost of any book of faith should prohibit somebody from having access to it. 

I figure I'll keep a couple in case my kids want them one day. 

8 hours ago, Hane said:

@SuchABlessing, when Nonni found about condoms and mentioned them to her husband, Nonno (who was by all reports a nice guy) said, "Nice women don't use things like those."

Heh. After my great-grandmother gave birth to her 14th child the midwife allegedly asked her if she'd heard of these new things called (in a whisper) 'diaphragms', which could stop you having more children. Family legend has it that both great-grandparents said "Praise the Lord! How soon can we get it?"

Mind you at that stage my great-grandmother had been pregnant or breastfeeding or both for the last 25 or so years, and, from my grandmother's memory of her, had massively swollen legs covered in varicose veins. Given she was only 42 when she had her last child (#14) I think it's pretty safe to say the family history is probably accurate.

6 hours ago, usmcmom said:

I wonder if they let the little ones have kids' Bibles or do their pre-schoolers have to learn from KJV??  

From what I can recall from pictures of Family Bible Time, the little ones have large regular looking Bibles.

@nomoxian, that is so sad that the little kids have regular KJV Bibles.  How in the world are they supposed to get anything out of a Bible like that?  If they can read, they sure can't understand the obsolete language of the KJV and if they can't read, they need something like the Story Bible.

I wonder what parts of the Bible fundies have the children read. There's some adult stuff in there - rape, murder, prostitution, etc.

2 hours ago, Corntree said:

I wonder what parts of the Bible fundies have the children read. There's some adult stuff in there - rape, murder, prostitution, etc.

When my niece was five, she got freaked out by Cain and Abel. She kept crying and going on and on in Sunday school about how much she loved her baby sister and how could anybody kill their own brother?

A year or so later, when the aforementioned baby sister was about two, she got freaked out by one of those little kid Bible storybooks about Solomon and the two women fighting over the baby. It had an illustration of Solomon holding up the baby with one hand, while he held a big knife in the other hand. (This book was a gift from one of the Baptist relatives on the other side of their family.) I had to explain to this poor kid that Solomon was just pretending that he was going to hurt the baby so he could find out who the real mother is.

So yeah, there's plenty of material in the Bible that isn't suitable for little kids. I mean, Noah's ark??? People decorate nurseries with that theme, with the boat and the cute animals and all that. But the nitty-gritty of that story is NOT appropriate for small children.

7 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

When my niece was five, she got freaked out by Cain and Abel. She kept crying and going on and on in Sunday school about how much she loved her baby sister and how could anybody kill their own brother?

A year or so later, when the aforementioned baby sister was about two, she got freaked out by one of those little kid Bible storybooks about Solomon and the two women fighting over the baby. It had an illustration of Solomon holding up the baby with one hand, while he held a big knife in the other hand. (This book was a gift from one of the Baptist relatives on the other side of their family.) I had to explain to this poor kid that Solomon was just pretending that he was going to hurt the baby so he could find out who the real mother is.

When my niece was about that age, a friend of mine who had taught Sunday school at a perfectly mainstream Lutheran church gave me a children's book about Easter to give her. It contained an account of the crucifixion that horrified her for weeks. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived