Maxwell 11: Anna Marie Has Conceived - Again

Coconut Flan

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, nomoxian said:

Their Youtube account is here

Thanks.

Holy shit!  Steve must be getting desperate to allow Maxwell videos on ebil youtube.

42 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

I just subscribed so I won't miss any new content they post!  LOL.

Masochist.

Steve's house got dirty. His bored adult offspring cleaned it. Free labor. That's why the dude isn't marrying them off. Who would  do the work?

"As having previously taken the CASP exam, I can highly recommend it. And now, with being a part of the exam update process, I can even more so say that it is a great test and worth the time investment to prepare for."

:confused2:

My oldest used to write like that when he was trying to sound really important.

When he was 11.

41 minutes ago, danvillebelle said:

"As having previously taken the CASP exam, I can highly recommend it. And now, with being a part of the exam update process, I can even more so say that it is a great test and worth the time investment to prepare for."

Holy crap!  I had to read that quote three times in order to follow what he was saying!

:pb_surprised:

We mock Sarah's writing but whenever I read something written by one of her siblings I see that she is the best writer in the family.

Nathan's resume looks as though what he wanted to say was put through a gobbledygook generator. 

"As having previously taken the CASP exam, I can highly recommend it."

Translation: I took the CASP test and recommend it.

"And now, with being a part of the exam update process, I can even more so say that it is a great test and worth the time investment to prepare for."

Translation:  I helped to revise the test and think it is even better.  It is worth spending time to prepare for it.

My questions:  What is the purpose of the test?  Why is the test good?  Did you pass?  Did passing the test help you get jobs?  Does it test what it is supposed to test?   Who asked you to help update the test?  Was being "part of" updating the test a feather in your professional cap?   How did you help to improve it?

To play devil's advocate for Nathan for one second...

In the Managers of Their Schools book, Teri details how during the years that Nathan, Christopher and Sarah were homeschooling, they pieced together their curriculum using unit studies and jumping around a lot.  They didn't make the decision to switch to all textbooks until Sarah was in high school and Nathan and Chris were already done.

I am not an A Beka user and never have been, but I have talked to many people who are, and one thing that I've heard for years is that their grammar is very rigorous all the way through.  Susan Wise Bauer of The Well-Trained Mind book and forums recommended it if memory serves, and she is far from fundie.  

So yeah - there's a reason the pre-reversals writing sucks - they apparently never had any systematic grammar instruction.

That being said - as others have pointed out repeatedly, IMO the biggest reason their writing is so awful is because THEY HAVEN'T READ ENOUGH GOOD BOOKS.  I didn't have any good writing instruction until I got to college, but I read mountains of books growing up.  That is what made the difference.  

2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

IMO the biggest reason their writing is so awful is because THEY HAVEN'T READ ENOUGH GOOD BOOKS. 

I agree. They don't read much because most things are probably not approved reading material by mom and dad. Also, their main audience seems to be each other. No diversity of thought.

2 hours ago, danvillebelle said:

So yeah - there's a reason the pre-reversals writing sucks - they apparently never had any systematic grammar instruction.

Did the reversals get A Beka and, if so, why does their grammar suck too?  

And yes, everything else you said.  Lack of reading and lack of even rudimentary teaching of grammar by Teri. 

What I don't understand is how Teri and Steve, college educated and whose writing is stilted but not this bad, can look at the way their children write and not hang their heads in shame.

Instead they seem to think they have raised geniuses.

7 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

We mock Sarah's writing but whenever I read something written by one of her siblings I see that she is the best writer in the family.

Which is the truth, but frightening when you consider that the family prides themselves on being good "conversationalists" and allover great communicators.

36 minutes ago, Granwych said:

the family prides themselves on being good "conversationalists" and allover great communicators.

Sometimes I really do think the Maxwells are smug. 

37 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

Sometimes?  You are so kind.

I think they are insufferably conceited most of the time!

1 hour ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I think they are the most arrogant pieces of shit on God's green earth with the exception of Ellie and the little Maxkids.

They are really smugg they think their way of life is the only way. They seem to have huge issues with anyone who does not agree with and follow their lifestyle. 

Not sure if the reversals used A Beka, but it was mentioned somewhere (can't find where) that Melanie uses A Beka. (I'm pretty sure it was mentioned, anyway).

47 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Not sure if the reversals used A Beka, but it was mentioned somewhere (can't find where) that Melanie uses A Beka. (I'm pretty sure it was mentioned, anyway).

I've examined the A Beka curriculum and even bought some of their books (used-- and saved the difference) to supplement my niece's education. (She was in preschool at the time, but was academically at about a second-grade level, albeit with the usual learning gaps and asynchronous development that are typical of gifted children.) I recommend A Beka's "Handbook For Reading" guide for anyone who wants to teach their kid how to read using an easy-to-follow phonetic approach. Some of their other early-grade books were pretty decent, too. A Beka does a good job of teaching early elementary kids the basics in all subjects except "science." (Do I really need to explain why I put "science" in quotes?) But for the older kids, A Beka is more about indoctrination than education. I noticed the same thing about the Bob Jones curriculum.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:15 AM, FloraDoraDolly said:

Yeah, buying a house debt-free can only take you so far when you get to the point where your grocery bill exceeds a normal person's mortgage payment. 

Oh man, isn't that the truth. My against birth control Catholic cousin had six boys in six years. They're now all living at home and ages 13-18. She goes through four gallons of milk a day. FOUR GALLONS. And that's just the milk, not the rest of everything they eat. They're bottomless. And she'll have to do this for another six years. So many teen boys.

6 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

She goes through four gallons of milk a day. FOUR GALLONS. And that's just the milk, not the rest of everything they eat. They're bottomless. And she'll have to do this for another six years.

I can't imagine making all those trips to the grocery store, either.  Do they have to go every day?

New post today about becoming debt free.  And this story takes place in a high cost of living area.  Steevie must have read here.

This sentence hurt my brain: "This lady had just purchased the Buying a House Debt-Free book and is so excited for the vision it gave she and her husband."

Grammar has never been my strong suit but shouldn't it end with "...it gave her and her husband".  Because if you took of the "and her husband" it sound even worse in my head. 

Also, what does rapid market appreciation have to do with paying off your house?  Your house is worth more if you want to sell it but you still owe the same amount as before.  I'm not getting it.  Maybe I need to read the book.  LOL.

7 minutes ago, fundiefollower said:

Also, what does rapid market appreciation have to do with paying off your house?  Your house is worth more if you want to sell it but you still owe the same amount as before.  I'm not getting it.  Maybe I need to read the book.  LOL.

The only thing I can think of is they probably refinanced their mortgage.  The higher appraisal would increase the equity they have in their home.

Good for them for being smart enough to do that, but of course she doesn't spell that out.  She just makes it sound like their hard work helped them pay off 25% more of their mortgage in three years, rather than a rising real estate market.

@fundiefollower, your grammar is correct.  Sarah's is not.

I don't think you need to buy the book.  Steve has a whole series on Titus2 where he expounds on his theories that you can read for free.  https://blog.titus2.com/debt-free-content-in-christ-posts-index/

If you look at the comments, Steve has had some push back right on Titus2 from people living in more expensive areas.  This latest post is probably to try to counter those arguments.

I think @kpmom is right.  That couple refinanced.  I wonder which of Steve's ideas for saving money and making money inspired them - are they putting cash into an envelope every week or buying some chickens?

2 hours ago, Elegant Mess said:

I can't imagine making all those trips to the grocery store, either.  Do they have to go every day?

I have three brothers who all played sports and every Sunday was grocery shopping day and I swear it looked like we had about 10 people living there. 3-4 gallons of milk, 2-3 loaves of bread, a ton of meat and vegetables, I remember seeing the end total being around 3-400 every week as we all played sports, but my brothers ate everything, I mean there have never been leftovers in my house and no one is overweight. You just have to manage and go weekly in families like that. 

"She and her husband" has now been changed to "her and her husband"!! No comments as yet on the post. HI STEVE!!

11 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

Oh man, isn't that the truth. My against birth control Catholic cousin had six boys in six years. They're now all living at home and ages 13-18. She goes through four gallons of milk a day. FOUR GALLONS. And that's just the milk, not the rest of everything they eat. They're bottomless. And she'll have to do this for another six years. So many teen boys.

Too bad she can't keep a dairy goat---

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived