IGNORED

Dillards 35: Waiting on People Magazine

Coconut Flan

Glad Izzy got some real quality time with grandma Cathy! She really seems to dote on him. We know he would have been another number at the Duggar compound. 

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

Glad Izzy got some real quality time with grandma Cathy! She really seems to dote on him. We know he would have been another number at the Duggar compound. 

Yes Cathy seems enchanted with Izzy. The special attention is so good for him definitely.

1 hour ago, VineHeart137 said:

I'm assuming she means GIVE him back, in reference to Israel? In which case yeah, sounds like everybody is home which should be good news. I hope the speculation on here was wildly off base and Jill and Sammy are, for the most part, just fine.

It took me a second to figure out what she meant. If she didn't want to "take him back," she didn't want to watch him again? I think she meant, "give him back," based on the second sentence. 

"Take him back" to me implies that she drove him there.  Or delivered him there (to his home), rather than having Derrick come pick him up.

That would be "take him back" home. I guess that's an Arkansas/Southern thing?

I take things back to work, take clothes to the cleaner, take supper to my dad...

1 hour ago, Flippp said:

I agree with the phone. Is Jill left handed or right handed? She's probably holding Sam so she can take a picture with her dominant hand.

There are other photos that were released the same day as the one in question. In one of them, she's holding Sam in her left arm (someone deduced it was Jill from the pattern of the gown she's wearing).

I just linked the photo in the spoiler below.

I don't think 10 days is too long of a visit for Izzy to have with his grandmother, or that it makes Jill entitled. If your kid is going to be happier in the care of a willing, able, and loving relative who is available to help, than it seems like a no brainer to send him over. I got zero help with any of my babies. I wish I had a grandma Cathy, and although it makes me feel a little sad that nobody was there for me, I certainly don't fault the women who utilize their resources. 

What was that again about the Netherlands sending baby nurses to the house? Gosh, I really would have loved that.

It would be nice if Derick could handle a 2-year-old while helping his wife with a newborn, but he certainly wouldn't be the first man who couldn't or wouldn't.

Okay. My mind is boggled. Is 'take back' not a common expression amongst pretty much all English speakers? 

4 minutes ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

It would be nice if Derick could handle a 2-year-old while helping his wife with a newborn, but he certainly wouldn't be the first man who couldn't or wouldn't.

Nope, not ideal. Had a 2 year old at home when we brought the second baby home. If there are things to be done a woman/mother generally gets up to do it. There are things men can do or help with but generally I think women will just get up an do. So much better for Izzy to be in a truly loving environment for a little bit.

I'm glad we decided and only had two and stopped. I think most women do not get enough rest and rehab time after a baby.

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

Ten days does seem a bit long for grandma to keep the grandson.  Hopefully she's been taking him over every day to visit and he's enjoying the attention from grandma and not feeling shoved out.   This is Jill though and she may feel having her son taken care of by someone else is her due.

I'm giving her a pass until we know more. She's had major surgery twice in just over two years now and she could very well be having a bit of a rough recovery. Last time she didn't have a very curious and active toddler to chase around - this time she does. So I don't think it's necessarily Jill thinking she's owed anything as much as it may just be a way to let Jill recover a bit and bond with the new baby. 

If that's the case, then hopefully Izzy was fine with it. Ten days is a long time for a little kid, but her tweet wasn't really specific about whether she's had him overnight that long or if she's just been helping out during the day or anything. He seems to love Cathy very much, so he may have enjoyed getting a bit of special attention from her (and possibly Uncle Dan and Aunt Deena, if she was feeling well enough - I've heard kidney stones are a bitch.)

1 hour ago, marmalade said:

That theory doesn't work. Jill is holding SSD with her right hand, which is her dominant one. Only Jinger is left-handed. 

I take pictures with both hands despite being right handed. So you don't really need to just use your dominant hand for that.

Its also possible she has him that way simply because that's how he was handed over to her. I've held Velocibaby with her head to the right for the same reason. The left definitely feels more natural to me, so I usually held her that way - but if someone handed her to me with her head to the right I didn't always turn her.

27 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Okay. My mind is boggled. Is 'take back' not a common expression amongst pretty much all English speakers? 

I thought it was, until the question was raised here. That's why I posted that maybe it's an Arkansas/Southern thing. 

I take things back to their owners (or children back to their parents), which generally (to me) means putting them in the car and driving them there. "Giving back" means physically handing over something I borrowed, I think. Like:  I gave back the pen I borrowed from my co-worker. 

Does that make sense to anyone but me, or is it the wine talking again? 

7 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

I thought it was, until the question was raised here. That's why I posted that maybe it's an Arkansas/Southern thing. 

Can't be... I'm Canadian!

34 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

I think people are over thinking the hell out of this.  She didn't want to have to take Izzy back to his folks, either she was watching him for the day, while DWreck got Jilly home and settled, or she's been watching him since Samuel's birth we don't know. Either way she is simply stating she loves  spending time with Izzy and was sad to see him leave when his parents took charge of his care again.  Take back or give back are both common phrases all over the country. If she took him to his home she took him back if D came and got him she gave him back.   

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm giving her a pass until we know more. She's had major surgery twice in just over two years now and she could very well be having a bit of a rough recover

I'm mainly thinking of Izzie and hoping they make sure he's included and not feeling kept or pushed out of the way.  Grandson was two when his sister was born and we made sure he was involved and had lots of family around.  Daughter wanted to be sure he was at home when they brought the baby home and I stayed with them for two weeks initially to help and to make sure both kids got attention from grandma and parents.  There is plenty of help for Jill.  She has a non-working husband who can turn to and help out and deal with Izzie.  Jana went and stayed with Jessa when Spurge was born and while I don't think the job should be dumped on her, she's done it before.  I just hope Izzie wasn't shunted off and felt it is all. 

47 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Never once did I think twice about the wording... i don't know maybe it's a matter of day to day grammar in different social circles 

18 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I'm mainly thinking of Izzie and hoping they make sure he's included and not feeling kept or pushed out of the way.

As an only (with an only), I always talk to the older child/ren and then make sure to ask the older child (or children) to introduce me to their new sibling. I figure it must be traumatic, even if they never remember it when they're older.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I didn't think anything was weird in the wording at all. 

Slightly off-topic but if she does end up doing a People's mag what would the cover say? Since she already had a dramatic birth?

3 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Ten days does seem a bit long for grandma to keep the grandson.  Hopefully she's been taking him over every day to visit and he's enjoying the attention from grandma and not feeling shoved out.   This is Jill though and she may feel having her son taken care of by someone else is her due.

My son was 4 when #2 came.  He was excited to meet sister ( thank goodness because he burst into tears for the sonogram that revealed a girl.  He wanted a brother. )  We were very sensitive to his feelings and after we settled in after the birth, he was around us in hosp as much as possible.  He missed me and I had to care for the new baby.  So, as a family we welcomed sister and made sure he was very much a part of it.  I nursed baby with him around and told him this is how he was fed too.  I tried to make it so he never felt pushed aside.

Sweet memories!  I got side tracked.....for grandma to have him so long ( if that's the case, timelines and Duggars are iffy), I think it's unusual.  We didn't do anything spectacular,  most do it that way.  It is a family bonding moment to have another baby.  We've seen them all do it in this family too.  10 days is a long time, I agree!

8 hours ago, Stormy said:

My dad videotaped my mom's emergency c-section with me! He even got footage of them stapling her back together.

I'm super weird, but that's kind of cool. I worked on a pregnancy microbiome project for awhile and the OB let me scrub into a c-section. It was amazing. My coworkers and I may have cried a little when the baby started crying. 

I totally get the annoyance of pictures that show too much. I have the opposite problem. I have literally no pictures of me holding my daughter in the first two weeks except for the couple my doula took immediately after DD was born. Still upset 

If Izzy was with grandma for 10 days that might have been a decision that was made for his sake too. Kids are different and parents have to make different choices for different individuals. I think that if my daughter had been 2 instead 4 when she had her baby brother keeping her away from me and the baby for a couple of days might have been better than her going back and forth if I had not been up to taking care of her full time. She had problems with transitions and staying with someone who loved and cared for her would have been better than going to visit mom and the baby who I am sure would be a somewhat mixed blessing to her and then go back to someone else for the night for example. 10 days is long but I still think it might have been a choice made with concerns for Izzy's best and not just taking mom into consideration. Izzy will have a whole life time to get to know his brother and while bonding is important I think that parental bonding takes the upper hand to sibling bonding.

It doesn't seem that strange to me that Israel would stay with his grandma for ten days. My parents left me with my grandparents for two weeks when I was about his age. It's probably nice for both of them because they have been in Central America. 

7 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

As an only (with an only), I always talk to the older child/ren and then make sure to ask the older child (or children) to introduce me to their new sibling. I figure it must be traumatic, even if they never remember it when they're older.

I've once heard it described as if your spouce suddenly came home with a new wife/husband that you were just supposed to except were going to live with you from now on. So yeah. Probably pretty traumatic. :)

Not to defend Dereck, but if Jill's not recovered yet I think it would be a lot to take care of both her and the kids. Especially since Israel still is too young to understand what's going on with his mom and the new baby. 

Cathy has been a huge part of Israel's life, and although it must be hard for him to be away from his parents, I think he's comfortable with her. From what I have seen on the show they adore each other. 

Being with Cathy and having her full attention must be a hundred times better than placing him at the Duggar house where there's kids and other grandkids everywhere. 

I'm not a huge fan of Cathy bc she's always making an ass of herself on Twitter (guess it runs in the family), but it was definitely better for him to go to her instead of the other side where he'd get lost in a pile of M-kids.

It's going to be very interesting in the future to see how the different environments the Duggar grandkids grew up, like the Dillards in SA, Vuolos in Texas, and Seewalds right by family in AK, will affect them. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived