IGNORED

Dillards 34: Finding Contentment

samurai_sarah

I think there is wayyyyyy too much overspeculation happening here about Jill and Sammy's health. I think if there were anything seriously wrong than we wouldn't be seeing a lot of congratulations videos, and pictures of Derick smiling and happy.

Did Jill have a difficult and emotional birth? Mostly likely. What labour isn't difficult and emotional? And 40 hours of it, plus a C-section when you really wanted a vb? Yes, any sane normal personal most likely wouldn't be keen on pics either.

I'm sure Jill is feeling quite devastated at having to have a C-section when she wanted to give birth naturally, and Derick may well be oblivous to his wife's emotional needs, but beyond that I think mama and baby are physically fine. But what do I know. I'm just speculating too!

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I showed the pic of Jill/Sam/Derick to my hubby. I asked his opinion. His response:

1. Oh gawd - that's a Duggar isn't it?

2. She looks pale and underfed.

So - for what it's worth, he's not in any way "invested" in this family/forum. 

Do the Dillards use the flip phone of shame or something? All of their photos are always so dang grainy you can't tell if someone is ill, has a black eye, is pale,  jaundiced, etc. because they're always such poor quality. 

My oldest was jaundiced. He was a big guy, who came naturally, but he was orange. We took his cute butt home on a light, and he was our little glow worm for a few weeks.

I'm in a wait in see mode with Jill. I don't want to speculate on just a picture and timing. Jill was so excited at the beginning of her marriage and now she looks tired a lot. I hope for the best for her.

She had ANOTHER c section?! Doesn't each c section increase risk of the uterus rupturing in future pregnancies? I hope she will seriously reconsider her stance on birth control. 

I love hearing about the different times people stayed in the hospital. I was actually booted out of the hospital less than 24 hours after my emergency c section. It was fine with me because there is nothing worse than being on the maternity ward after your baby passed away. I stayed longer for my vaginal births!

What I notice about the picture with Jill is that she looks old. I could believe she was a young grandma instead of the mother of that baby. The lighting contributes a lot. I know life has matured her a lot since her marriage, but it looks to me like she aged 15 years in the last week.

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Figg said:
Is it an inverted elbow?! A chicken leg? Contorted Derrick arm?! Whose is it? So confused.

I actually thought it looked photoshopped for the angle it's at and appears to have a chunk missing, but there's absolutely no reason to do that, so I'm going with weird angle.

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Figg said:

Is it an inverted elbow?! A chicken leg? Contorted Derrick arm?! Whose is it? So confused.

Looks like Derelict's left arm, with his hand on the arm of the chair and his  elbow is slightly hyperextended, to me.

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Figg said:

my best friend since childhood has arms like this!!! Her elbows are double jointed, it's very hard for her to keep them straight if she extends her arms. They always want to bow out like that. Her brother is the same way. It does look weird though lol 

So much to catch up on! I wish my brother was familiar with the Duggars because now he shares a birthday with them!

With regards to staying in the hospital after birth, I know that at least the hospital I work at, vaginal births can stay up to 72 hours and they like c-sections to stay that long as well (or 3 nights, which ever comes first). With c-sections, you aren't allowed to go home until you prove you have your "strength" back and your bowels back. With vaginal births, they tend to suggest to first time mothers to stay longer but if anyone wants to go and doesn't have any pressing medical issues, they can go. There was one patient who gave birth at like 8PM and left the next morning- so much easier to be in and out if you don't get anesthesia of any kind!!

Also, I think perhaps Jill IS wearing makeup- her eyelashes look extremely long and thick which to me means mascara. Maybe that's why she seems so pale- hospital lighting is terrible so she could have maybe put on too much?

One last speculation and then I'll stop because I feel bad (kinda, though they have put their life in the public eye). I know of some cases where patients go to c-section because they just cannot labor properly. They get super super anxious and/or aren't cooperating and they are given general anesthesia (aka put under). The patients I've seen do look paler but my population size is 4 so take this last bit with a grain of salt since it's not a proper study AND it is purely my opinion!

Anyway, those are my thoughts! Samuel is very cute! Glad they both appear to be alive and not in grave danger. I don't wish scary medical trauma/aftermath on anyone. I also apologize for my overuse of exclamation points. I've been addicted to them recently :)

5 minutes ago, ivyalba said:

I also apologize for my overuse of exclamation points. I've been addicted to them recently

It's ok! We forgive you! Everyone makes mistakes! You are still cool with us! Thanks! Lol! :)! 

I honestly just think Jill is super sensitive to the medication needed for a c-section. I am also super sensitive to medication, especially morphine and get terrible dark circles when I have had to get it in the hospital. Not to mention she went through the 40 hours of labor and major surgery.

At my hospital typically they make you stay two nights after a vaginal delivery. My daughter was born at 10pm on Tuesday, the next day at around 5pm I was told I could leave early if me and baby checked out healthy on everything. All of the L&D, recovery and overfill rooms in the hospital were full. I gave birth that week in September that for whatever reason had the highest birth rate. I jumped all over the chance to leave early because I found the environment, though in a very nice hospital, freezing cold and uncomfortable. On my way out I saw 3 ladies about to pop at the check in desk. 

I was also in a hurry to leave because my Mom was waiting at my house to fuss over me...I'm a Mama's girl, what can I say. :)

1 hour ago, Mrs. Figg said:

He's just hyper extending his elbow, I can do that as well, and my arms will look similar.

1 hour ago, adidas said:

Um. There's this family called the Duggars. You might have heard of them. They made their money by profiting off their children. 

No! you can't be serious.

i don't believe you

This is likely unpopular opinion, but I actually prefer the photos they shared to highly stylized and posed ones. Even if they aren't as "pretty" or if they're grainy. The expressions on their faces here are just so natural - Derick's smile is genuine and Jill is looking at Samuel with such tender love on her face. 

As for the quality - the photos they share that are grainy tend to be photos that:

- are taken with a front facing camera setting (thus happens with my phone)

or

- have bad lighting for whatever reason. 

They probably just choose the photos where everyone looks passable and call it a day.  

Since @Nomorethanfour said she liked hearing about how long hospital stays were post birth,  I'll chime in with my experience.  

Daughter #1 was a c-section and we stayed a week.

Daughter #2 was a scheduled c-section and we stayed 5 days

Daughter #3 was a c-section after an attempt at VBAC due to fetal distress.  We stayed 3 days and I had to return to the OB's office to get my staples removed.

Daughter #4 was VBAC after attempts to arrest pre-term labor failed. (My OB said I didn't need a c-section for a 2 pound baby.  Katherine weighed 900 grams, 7g under 2 pounds.)  I delivered on Tuesday morning and went home Saturday.  Katherine stayed in the NICU for 4 months.

Daughter #5 (or 4b, as I sometimes think of her) was a VBAC and we stayed 2 days.  Daughter #3 saw #5 born and the girls visited me in the hospital, got "I'm a Big Sister" t-shirts and a Happy Birthday Baby cake.  Sibling visitation is common now.

My comments:

While I'm extremely curious about what happened during Sammy's birth, I don't really have any theories. I think it's safe to say something didn't go as planned but no one can really tell how big of a deal it was from some pictures (or lack thereof). Very interested to hear the story, and hoping that in spite of whatever happened Jill and Samuel are well on the road to recovery now.

I had an unplanned c-section on a Tuesday morning and was discharged Thursday afternoon. Standard at my hospital is 3 days but baby and I were doing very well and I was ready to go. And my hospital was one of those that didn't force you to leave if baby needed to stay, and vice versa.

Samuel and Izzy look more alike as newborns than Spurgeon and Henry, IMO. Henry is the only one of those four who, to me, didn't overwhelmingly favor Jim Bob in looks when they were born. Although now, I don't really see Jim Bob when I look at Spurgeon, I just see mini-Jessa. Israel still looks a lot like JB but you can see Derick in him.

Jinger absolutely resembles Michelle more than JB to me. When Jinger was younger she looked a lot like Josie and Josie is definitely her mother's child. 

2 minutes ago, karen77 said:

He's just hyper extending his elbow, I can do that as well, and my arms will look similar.

My elbows can do this too, and it weirds a lot of people out. But it's just how my arms work. Like the rest of me, they're a little odd.

I'm happy to see a pic of Jill and Sammy, but she does look much more subdued than usual. Really hoping they're both okay. Sad we can't get any clues off Derick, but that man is amazingly oblivious to his wife's emotional state.

In any case, their caginess here is garnering lots of fan and anti-fan speculation, so I suppose that's helping their brand. But I do truly hope that Jill and Sam are doing well. As absurd as it is, I am concerned for Jill.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived