IGNORED

Dillards 31: Grifting, Lying, and Allergies

Coconut Flan

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So since midwives are not allowed to attend VBACs in Arkansas, there are the following three options that I can see:

• Jill could give birth in a hospital and attempt a VBAC there
  • She could give birth over the border in Oklahoma, where I believe home VBACs are legal
  • Or she could attempt a basically unattended birth (Theresa Fedosky (sp?) is not a licensed midwife, so there's nothing keeping her from attending Jillymuffin's home VBAC)

Anyone care to venture a guess?

This is probably ascribing way too much careful planning and consideration to the Dillards...but I wonder if the relatively bigger spacing between Israel and SS (by Duggar standards, of course) was done intentionally to give Jill's body more time to heal from the c-section and increase the likelihood of a successful VBAC.

Anecdotally,  my cousin just had a scheduled c-section for her third kid who was born 20 months after her second, who was an emergency c-section. Her doctor told her that trying for a VBAC was a non-starter because the births were less than 24 months apart. Not sure if this was just the doc's policy or a general standard.

Generally, having a VBAC is safe and in most cases safer than a cesarean, so I am not going to fault Jill for trying for one if she is a candidate. However, I hope she does not attempt one with a reckless "provider".

Michelle had several VBACs in a hospital, so I would be really surprised if Jill did not take that route.

1 hour ago, lomo6 said:

This is probably ascribing way too much careful planning and consideration to the Dillards...but I wonder if the relatively bigger spacing between Israel and SS (by Duggar standards, of course) was done intentionally to give Jill's body more time to heal from the c-section and increase the likelihood of a successful VBAC.

Anecdotally,  my cousin just had a scheduled c-section for her third kid who was born 20 months after her second, who was an emergency c-section. Her doctor told her that trying for a VBAC was a non-starter because the births were less than 24 months apart. Not sure if this was just the doc's policy or a general standard.

I actually don't think the bigger spacing was done on purpose. Jill was joyfully available pretty soon after the birth of Israel! And the ugly smirk on DirtyJesus' facec whenever asked about pregnancy updates told me they were definetley doing it a lot :D 

1 hour ago, lomo6 said:

Nope. She had talked about getting pregnant again before Izzy was one. I remember they asked about who would be pregnant first, Jill or Jessa, and Jill practical screamed it'd be her. Also, when they announced Jessa being pregnant with Henry, she was doing a talking head and was saying she kept taking pregnancy tests and being surprised she was not pregnant. She actually looked broken by the fact Jessa was pregnant and she was not. 

I hope she goes for a hospital VBAC. No faith that she will, but hope.

Jill has an unproven birth canal, had a very large first baby, and has had 1 previous C/S...she is not a good candidate for: a home birth or an unattended birth of any kind. If she wants to attempt a VBAC, she needs to be in a hospital and under the care of a professional who can provide a C/S if needed.

Michelle's situation was very different. She had her 1st C/S for multiples, and already had a proven birth canal when she birthed #s 6 and 7 at home.

I hope she makes smart decisions but I have no faith in the dilldicks. Anything to be martyrs and that's scary. I also hope that Samuel is healthy. 

Going with the thread title, there is a rare allergic reaction called exercise induced anaphylaxis.  I found out about this after the two trips my daughter made in one month to the ER after gym class. It comes from eating a particular food and then vigorous exercise with in a short window of time.  My kid had gym right after lunch this year and after running the pacer the school had to call the rescue squad twice. Her trigger is wheat. She can eat wheat and if she does not exercise right after she is fine. Not trying to diagnosis Derrdork, just throwing out a thought.

<rant>On a side note. I posted this some place when it first happened, but the price of EPI pens are out of control.  We have health insurance which paid for most of it, but I hate to think of the parents who have to choose between a months worth of groceries or saving their kids lives. </rant>

Insurance? Do they have insurance for a hospital birth? I think they could be eligible for Medicaid. I'd rather they got that and had a safe delivery in a hospital than try a home VBAC.

1 hour ago, SassyPants said:

Jill has an unproven birth canal, had a very large first baby, and has had 1 previous C/S...she is not a good candidate for: a home birth or an unattended birth of any kind. If she wants to attempt a VBAC, she needs to be in a hospital and under the care of a professional who can provide a C/S if needed.

Michelle's situation was very different. She had her 1st C/S for multiples, and already had a proven birth canal when she birthed #s 6 and 7 at home.

I agree that Jill is not a good candidate for a homebirth at this time, although not an impossible one. There is no reason why she can't try for a VBAC in a hospital, however, unless she has certain incisions from her c-section (for example, a vertical uterine incision) that realistically would prevent her from ever having a vaginal birth. But those are rare, so I doubt that she has that limitation. I wonder if she sees Dr. Sarver?

Michelle definitely had a different situation and I have to say that I applaud her for the way she handled her births (both home and hospital). She was an advocate for herself, but also knew when to let someone intervene if needed. You would think that her daughters would take a hint.

IF we believe what they said when discharged with Izzy, the surgeon said IF she waited long enough (I've a feeling it was two years so they're cutting it pretty fine), he'd not oppose a VBAC, so I'm guessing she's had the right kind of incision.

I'm guessing it was a pie in the sky case of 'supposing it's at least two years, nothing else is wrong, and if you've decided to use me as your obstetrician, then maybe' - and depressingly, I'm guessing she'll have heard only the part of that she wants to.

I really hope she's able to put her desire for home birth aside if she needs to. Heartbreaking though it is.

Unpopular opinion here (and I was a nurse for 35 years, so I know a bit about patients, behaviors and pain management), I don't believe, from what we have seen of Jill ...and medical procedures and temperament that she would make a good, unmedicated birth candidate. From what we have seen from her, she seems easily stressed and very uncomfortable when she is outside of her personal safety zone. Labor can get ugly- I think Jill's tendency to be anxious and very, very, very needy work again her in this endeavor.

Now, if she went to the hospital, had good pain management which allowed her to remain calm and relaxed, I could see her having a successful VBAC.

3 hours ago, Taylurker said:

Michelle had several VBACs in a hospital, so I would be really surprised if Jill did not take that route.

That being said Michelle did hospital births for all but Jinger and Joseph. So, it's not surprising that she did go to the hospital. 

It just seems such an unnecessary risk for her to take to attempt a VBAC homebirth. If every embryo is sacred from the second sperm meets egg, then surely a full grown foetus is too? Shouldn't she be doing everything possible to ensure the safety of her child?

What would the financial situation be? (Non US here). Would they be left with huge bills if they went for a hospital birth? I very much doubt they have insurance.

But then again, I completely don't understand this fundie obsession with home birth. For me, safest place for mother and child wins every time - which may be home, a birthing centre or a hospital, depending on circumstances.

Is home birthing really a fundie thing? Michelle had the majority of her kids in the hospital and I believe all of the Bateses have either gone to a hospital or birth center, except maybe Kelly? I don't really know anything about how she birthed the kids. Anyway I've always wondered why the second-generation Duggars seem to be so fixated on home births so maybe it is a fundie thing?

Kelly Bates had 14 children at home.I think after a miscarriages or maybe the complications with Addalee,she had the other 5 in the hospital.I agree with what was said about JIll and managing pain.Remember an episode on 17 kids and Counting...not sure but they went to the dentist for dental work...I think wisdom teeth removal..she was almost hysterical ,and strikes me as very needy,especially if she was in pain.

25 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

What would the financial situation be? (Non US here). Would they be left with huge bills if they went for a hospital birth? I very much doubt they have insurance.

But then again, I completely don't understand this fundie obsession with home birth. For me, safest place for mother and child wins every time - which may be home, a birthing centre or a hospital, depending on circumstances.

It really depends on a lot of factors. I've mentioned this a lot before, but the bills for my daughter's birth last December were:

- $3500 for an epidural

- $19,000 for my hospital stay

- between $65,000 and $70,000 for my daughter's weeklong NICU stay.

I'm in Connecticut. Prices aren't really set across the nation so an Arkansas hospital may charge less for these things than my hospital did. I also had a vaginal birth, so no bill for surgery was issued. And Jill seems to be interested in an unmedicated birth, so an epidural might not be necessary. Still, I would expect that even a straightforward VBAC without an epidural and no NICU stay could cost a decent amount. I would really hope that they have some sort of medical coverage to help with costs in case something does go wrong.

(And yes, I have insurance through husband's employer. We were lucky to hit our deductible earlier that year, so all the hospital bills were covered in full by our insurance.)

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

No alternative for those of us allergic to epi either

Are you allergic to a preservative in the solution? Because epinephrine  exists your body naturally.  I'm Only asking because I do anesthesia and encounter many people who are told they are allergic to epi when it was an unintentional arterial injection (causing anywhere from palpitations to seizures or cardiovascular collapse )at the dentist or doctor.   Or, commonly after using epi pen people experience heart racing and think it's reaction but it's actually not.  That is one of the effects of epi keeping you alive. Just wanted to make sure that wasn't the case for you because epi can be a huge life saver for allergies.

43 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

I very much doubt they have insurance.

Health insurance is required by law, per Obamacare. Not sure if the Duggars can claim a religious exemption.

10 minutes ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Health insurance is required by law, per Obamacare. Not sure if the Duggars can claim a religious exemption.

Wrong. It's not required by law, not having insurance results in a tax penalty. I know many people who choose to take the tax penalty because their routine doctor visits cost significantly less than their health insurance premiums and deductible. 

18 minutes ago, jacduggar said:

... not having insurance results in a tax penalty. I know many people who choose to take the tax penalty because their routine doctor visits cost significantly less than their health insurance premiums and deductible. 

And, unfortunately, things like Scamaratain do actually 'count' under the laws.  So 'health care sharing ministries' have whole websites advertising that they meet that need.

@onekidanddone My sister was diagnosed with that a few years ago, nuts are her trigger. I almost thought Derrick had it cause I thought maybe the gag could be the start of a reaction but never mind as the episode went on.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived