IGNORED

Maxwell are asking for prayers for Mary

Lillybee

I just don't see them as the type to go without health insurance. Melanie has been in the hospital at least three times now for difficult births, which would not have been cheap without insurance. The family is not particularly "crunchy" - we don't see them on fad diets, taking boatloads of supplements, eating eggshell, etc the way we do with other fundies.

Also, ok, given what we know of Steve's personality and how...careful the family seems to be about their money, I would be really really surprised if the didn't have insurance. I remember seeing one pic where Sarah had a macbook on her lap, with a cooling pad - which to me says that they try to keep their laptops in the best shape possible. Steve said that "waste" from sewing projects made him upset. They oil the woodwork to (presumably) keep it in tip-top shape for as long as possible. They constantly clean and maintain Uriah. All of that adds up (to me) as an overabundance of caution, which would not jive with a cavalier attitude towards health insurance.

Prescriptions can be crazy expensive--my 2 meds for migraines cost $240 to fill, and that IS my copay. I can't imagine what it would be without my insurance (which is decent, from a big evil university.)

Prescriptions can be crazy expensive--my 2 meds for migraines cost $240 to fill, and that IS my copay. I can't imagine what it would be without my insurance (which is decent, from a big evil university.)

This. I shell out somewhere in the neighborhood of $120/month for prescription drugs, half of which is for an injected protein used in beating back the dreaded diabeetus. What worries me right now is that my employer is totally changing up the way our insurance is going to work for 2012. As I told another person in my group who is a diabetic, those of us with chronic illnesses (and gee, I have three) are gonna be screwed. (I also told my father that these changes are probably going to be so awful that when Obamacare rolls out in a few years, we're going to love it. Yes, I am so cynical--and I voted for the guy!)

So yeah, I can understand Steve blanching over the cost of $100 eyedrops. I'd do the exact same thing. In fact, if my prescription drug coverage changes significantly, I'm going to have a few heart-to-hearts with my doctors along the lines of, "Is there something cheaper or generic I can take?"

There's a fundie blog run by a bunch of sisters (seven? eight?) and they eat eggshells. Apparently it's part of some funky diet they're on. They grind them up and eat them with honey, if memory serves.

Archived