IGNORED

Maxwell are asking for prayers for Mary

Lillybee

It seems that Mary got something in her eye and is still tearing and feeling uncomfortable. The Maxwells are asking for prayer for Mary.

This is the first Maxwell prayer request I actually understand and respect. Maxwells, I may be an evil, pants-wearing, childless heathen, but I will pray that Mary's eye heals quickly.

Hmm, perhaps instead of praying they take a trip the pharmacy and get some chlorophenicol.. Or at the very least get it checked out in case she scratched her cornea.

She probably has a little scratch on her cornea. Not much you can do other than use drops (possibly prescription) and let it rest. It will heal in a couple of days. They are very uncomfortable.

oh I have the same zaditor! when my roomie had her feather top mattress I had a hard time.

thankfully they have a blog... I would have gone to see a professional, eyes are important.

If it's bad enough to require prayer, it's bad enough for a doctor....or at least a good eyewash. Otherwise, God's pretty busy, what with war and poverty and hunger and all...oh yeah, and squirrels.

Prayers for Mary?? ONO EBIL CATLIKS!!

But seriously, take her to the damn doctor. It's pathetic that they're holding out so they can claim it as a faith healing if it resolves.

They just posted an update and took her to the dr. this a.m. With a "quite swollen eye" I would have hoped so.

Anyway, appears to have been an allergic reaction and some eye drops should fix her right up.

The Maxwells, for all their (many) faults, don't seem quite so negligent when it comes to their kids health as some fundies. They also seem more financially stable than other fundies we talk about here, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Wonder if they have health ins.?

The Maxwells do seem to be more responsible about health care than many fundies on the web. I'm glad Mary will be okay.

They appreciated the help of one of their blog readers, an ophthalmologist, and then they took Mary to see a doctor this morning. Mary would still be suffering if it weren't for the help of these college educated people. I wonder why they are so against college.

I think it's unfair that Teri and Steve both have college degrees, but won't allow their children the same.

They just posted an update and took her to the dr. this a.m. With a "quite swollen eye" I would have hoped so.

Anyway, appears to have been an allergic reaction and some eye drops should fix her right up.

The Maxwells, for all their (many) faults, don't seem quite so negligent when it comes to their kids health as some fundies. They also seem more financially stable than other fundies we talk about here, and I'm sure that has something to do with it. Wonder if they have health ins.?

Thank goodness for that. You shouldn't mess about where sight is concerned.

My guess is that they do not have health insurance since the eyedrops were going to be $100. Unless they were something super steroidal, I can't imagine any eyedrop being $100.

I was glad to see them take her to a doctor. I agree, you don't mess around with eyes. And yes, interesting they consult with college-educated people in a crisis, yet deny their children from becoming any kind of higher educated similar professional.

From the blog:

He was going to prescribe special eye drops (the $100 a bottle kind), but he ended up having some to give us, which was a blessing.

I thought this sounded a little strange. It sounds like they were really hung up on the price. I know $100 is a lot for medication, but that shouldn't be their focus. It kind of sounds like they were ready to "buy used and save the difference." I have a hard time believing that with all of those nice MacBooks around the house that the Maxwells cannot afford $100 for a necessary medication.

I'm also wondering about their insurance policy. I thought the Maxwells had insurance through their family owned business enterprise. Their mention of the $100/bottle medication seems to imply otherwise----or really crappy insurance coverage. I admit that insurance is extremely expensive for small business owners. Pa Maxwell can hardly be faulted for getting cheap, high deductible insurance for his business as anything really good may be prohibitively expensive (and possibly unnecessary for a family of mostly young, healthy adults). It does bring to mind how Nathan is handling the bills from the multiple hospital stays that his wife had to have.

Hmm, perhaps instead of praying they take a trip the pharmacy and get some chlorophenicol.. Or at the very least get it checked out in case she scratched her cornea.

She's had it checked out, no scratched cornea. She's got prescribed eye drops.

Nell

Unless it's mental health, then you're on your own.

Even if they do have insurance, it's entirely possible that they had to see an out-of-network doctor since they're traveling.

Also, recently when I've been to the doctor, they're very concerned with the cost of the prescriptions they give out. I think they're aware of it because they don't want to write a prescription that the patient can't/won't fill. I could totally see a doctor saying "you need these eye drops, they're $100/bottle....oh wait! I have a sample pack around here!" Doesn't seem unusual to me.

My stepdad had problems with his eyes and his ophthalmologist often gave them samples of eye drops. I had a scratched cornea once from dirt getting under a contact and next to labor it was some of the most excruciating pain I've ever felt. And I was on vacation and had to go to the hospital ER to get it treated. Put a damper on my vacation.

I hope the drops reduce the inflammation and stop the pain for Mary. No matter what I think of the Maxwells, I would not wish eye pain on any of them....well maybe Steve, to reduce him back to mere mortal.

I believe eye drops are generally covered under "eye" insurance, not medical. They may only have health insurance.

I'm glad they took her to a "college educated" doctor. You shouldn't mess with your eyes.

I believe eye drops are generally covered under "eye" insurance, not medical. They may only have health insurance.

I'm glad they took her to a "college educated" doctor. You shouldn't mess with your eyes.

I've been on lots of eye drops, they are medication and are covered by health insurance. I have cancer of the eye and have had 6 surgeries and radiation, all covered by health insurance. An eye exam for glasses isn't covered by most health insurances but an injury usually is covered.

Nell

My guess is that they do not have health insurance since the eyedrops were going to be $100. Unless they were something super steroidal, I can't imagine any eyedrop being $100.

I know someone who has Medicare w/ no prescription plan. When this person had their cataracts done, they had to buy $300 eye drops to put in their eyes a few weeks before they surgery. They also had to bring the eye drops w/ them to the surgery. My guess was this was to prove to the hospital that they purchased the drops and (therefore probably) had been using them.

Even though Medicare picked up most of the whopping $10k per eye, this person still had to shell out $1000 per eye between one thing and another.

Even if they do have insurance, it's entirely possible that they had to see an out-of-network doctor since they're traveling.

Also, recently when I've been to the doctor, they're very concerned with the cost of the prescriptions they give out. I think they're aware of it because they don't want to write a prescription that the patient can't/won't fill. I could totally see a doctor saying "you need these eye drops, they're $100/bottle....oh wait! I have a sample pack around here!" Doesn't seem unusual to me.

I've noticed the worry about the cost of the prescriptions too. I have prescription coverage, but it varies based on the particular meds, and a few times I've been given samples to see how they work before I pay for an actual prescription. I am so not looking forward to the cost when I renew my injectable migraine meds- but I can't be without them- since the trial period has finally ended. (ETA- I looked it up and they've extended the discount period, yay! It takes $20 off of my copay.)

Does anyone think the (possible) lack of insurance is a driving force behind their health/exercise regimes? They seem very strict about their food intake and exercise.

I am very, very happy Mary is ok! They have a new post up (They found Christopher's favorite Thermos bottle after a whole year! Yippee!) and her eye looks normal.

Archived