IGNORED

Joe and Kendra: Holding Hands and Saying I Love You

choralcrusader8613

If it has already been spoken of you can throw apples at me but....does anyone know where Joe and Kendra will be living? If they really are getting married in early September he better step on it. He should already move out to get himself used to living away from the zoo, practice his finance skills, learn to not holler so he can talk in a regular volume to someone in a house. He should be learning how to be a man and not a boy coming from Mommy and Daddy's house. Of course, this is just my opinion. He could just do what Josh did, but wait he was an ignorant ass that needed a book to learn about the facts of life and we all know how he turned out.

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Georgiana said:

Empress Maria Feodorovna of Russia was first engaged to the elder Tsarevich Nicholas and then to his younger brother Tsar Alexander III. 

Dagmar of Denmark was engaged to a title more than to an individual though, even if sources report that she was earnestly heartbroken of the first fiancé's death.

Then again with all their father "supervised" (read = arranged and controlled) bethrothal and courting hoopla, I guess it sort of could be likened to the practces of the royal families back in the days (and to some extent nowadays).  

1 hour ago, HurricaneBells said:

We call it that here in Oz too (unsurprisingly)... What do the Americans, Canadians and Europeans refer to it as (if done at all)???

So, hen party or "do" in UK and Oz, stagette in @VeryNikeSeamstress' part of Canada, and a bachelorette party in my part of the US. Most people I've heard here use bachelor party and bachelorette party. I've heard stag night and hen night, but only in books and on television. 

Just to clarify; a party or gathering where the future bride and her friends (and maybe sisters) have fun together not too long before the wedding. Right? Maybe drinking, maybe not. Maybe in somewhere, maybe out and about. 

6 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Just to clarify; a party or gathering where the future bride and her friends (and maybe sisters) have fun together not too long before the wedding. Right? Maybe drinking, maybe not. Maybe in somewhere, maybe out and about. 

In Norway it's called "utdrikningslag", which translates to a drinking out party. So we drink a lot. 

1 hour ago, HurricaneBells said:

We call it that here in Oz too (unsurprisingly)... What do the Americans, Canadians and Europeans refer to it as (if done at all)???

We refer to it as "function to be avoided".....

We use the German word "polterabend" regardless of gender.
The litteral meaning is "evening of noise", polter = noise, abend = evening.
The reference is the old belief that you had to make a lot of noise to scare away evil spirits, or perhaps the idea that breaking china/pottery somehow brings good luck, somthing about sacrificing pottery to the Gods. 

The goal is to surprise the bride or groom and give them a day of fun.
The bride-version usually starts with brunch.
If there are gifts, it's usually as a part of a game, in which every attendant brings a small thing symbolic of some experience or adventure they shared with the bride and the bride then has to guess who brought what.
Usually there is one "big" activity, like rock climbing, a boat ride or cake decoration or some practical skill that the bride will "need" in her married life: changing of tire, some kind of cooking, etc.

The last two ones I went to, had a palmreader who did a reading of the bride and quick little readings of the guests.  

Actually, the idea of "getting to know you" periods being as groups does make sense to me, re Fundies, especially with the chaperoning/accountability buddies.  If you have a family you want to marry into, putting a couple of daughters into the mix with a couple of their sons, and maybe some other approved Fundies seems like at least they'd get a *modicum* of choice, and is better than eg the S'Morton way, where they matched the poor kids up in birth order.

I don't really believe it re Kendra and Joe, just because Kendra is SO young - if she was 19 rather than 17 when she was 'getting to know', I might wonder about it. But I think when eg Jinger and Joy were spending all that time with the Bateseses, and there was speculation about Jinger and Lawson - but I can see how spending time there, in groups, if one of the other Duggar daughters and Bates sons had hit it off, it would have been a win.

And let's face it, they believe that there's no heartbreak at all in their weird Courting model, so if, eg, one of the twins HAD wanted to 'get to know' Kendra, but in the group setting, she and Joe hit it off, there's no lost heart pieces etc etc because they didn't do evil secular dating, so everything's just fine <sarcasm>

16 hours ago, subsaharanafrica said:

I'd have been seriously irritated if I had gotten a kettle or houseware as a birthday gift when I was 18. 

For me, it was exciting, a symbol in the corner of my room that I'd be leaving home soon, that if I worked on my A Levels, I'd have university.  Plus I could make tea in my own room! 

(But also we weren't rolling in money, so it was one less thing to save for/have to buy when I left home, so I really liked it.  Better to get a £20 kettle as part of my Xmas/birthday than clothes my mum picked out, eg)

1 hour ago, Lurky said:

For me, it was exciting, a symbol in the corner of my room that I'd be leaving home soon, that if I worked on my A Levels, I'd have university.  Plus I could make tea in my own room!

I moved out of my parent's house at 21 and my favorite gifts for my 22nd birthday were things like a pair of pliers and a set of screwdrivers. I had bought a fair amount of housewares for 2 or 3 years in anticipation of moving out, but I hadn't realized how useful good tools are. (I did own a hammer when I started out.) I think my favorite Christmas gift that year may have been a set of glass bakeware. 

Canadian here... I've always heard it referred to as a bachelorette party.

Hens are the bride and Stag is the groom in the UK.  

My favourite one so far that I have seen in town is the groom dressed as an actual stag.  And not a stag that can walk around, but he was a stag mounted on a board... 

I recently re-watched the Counting On episode with the guys talking about their ideal mate, to see if Joe's answers gave any hint of impending courtship. They didn't - he was pretty vague with his answers, and said he preferred brunette hair. Jeremiah seemed really annoyed by the process, refusing to answer most of the questions, and getting pretty testy with the producer asking the questions. It does make me wonder if there was some dating drama in their circle.

Pickles and Hairspray on FB had this up this morning. Looks like she may have been courting Jed before Joe.  Did we already know this? https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/06/kendra-caldwell-did-she-court-jedidiah-duggar-before-joseph-dugg/

Do we know what it is about this Kendra girl that gets the Duggar boys so hot and bothered? And if JB is going to go around picking out spouses, I'd love to see him pick one for Jana. 

1 hour ago, mpheels said:

I recently re-watched the Counting On episode with the guys talking about their ideal mate, to see if Joe's answers gave any hint of impending courtship. They didn't - he was pretty vague with his answers, and said he preferred brunette hair. Jeremiah seemed really annoyed by the process, refusing to answer most of the questions, and getting pretty testy with the producer asking the questions. It does make me wonder if there was some dating drama in their circle.

Which episode was that? Is it on youtube? I'm curious to watch that clip. 

Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

Which episode was that? Is it on youtube? I'm curious to watch that clip. 

Don't know if it's on youtube - I think the episode title is Guy's Guide to Courting? They recapped past courtships (Anna/Josh conspicuously absent), and asked each of the guys what they wanted in a girl with a set of (falsely) dichotomous questions (blonde/brunette, shy/talkative, laidback/organized, humor/style). They also asked the sister what they thought their brothers were looking for in a girl.

2 hours ago, BeccaGrim said:

Pickles and Hairspray on FB had this up this morning. Looks like she may have been courting Jed before Joe.  Did we already know this? https://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2017/06/kendra-caldwell-did-she-court-jedidiah-duggar-before-joseph-dugg/

Do we know what it is about this Kendra girl that gets the Duggar boys so hot and bothered? And if JB is going to go around picking out spouses, I'd love to see him pick one for Jana. 

I saw that too. I'm curious if it's true... I don't think meddling in relationships is above JB, but I also would wonder what the purpose is. If he wanted the older kids to marry first, he'd have made sure Jana and JD were 'given' partners, and would have married Derrick to Jana or whatever. 

9 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Canadians (likely Americans too) call it a Stagette.

So... we go from from hens to deer? Does before bros party?

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and here we call it a Bachelorette Party. 

I think they got it from here: Some of us said that Jed might be courting Lauren Caldwell (who was also seen standing next to him in one episode.

7 hours ago, Chewing Gum said:

It's near the end for the twins. 

Oh wow, with the rumour on my mind it was very interesting to see this. Jed knew exactly what he liked which was the Kendra-type of fundie women. And seeing him say that there's no one for him at the moment and Jeer looking creepily at him to see his reaction made me think if the rumour is true...

But of course- may be I want to see things.

11 hours ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Canadians (likely Americans too) call it a Stagette.

I'm Canadian, I've always heard it referred to as a bachelorette or the Last Fling before the Ring. 

I think its more likely that Jed is "getting to know" Kendra's sister Lauren. Im unsure how that bit of speculation (that does seem plausible) morphed into Jed was courting Kendra before. I guess that's possible but theres nothing to really go on there. And very little to go on with the Jed/Lauren scenario. I think it will be a bit though before anything is official with the twins. They seem to want the boys to be just a bit older before marriage. Like around 20 maybe but who knows. 

Couple of things LOL at Michelle putting on the "graduation" voice for her SOTDRT "graduation"

Yeah, that rumor holds more weight for me now. Jed essentially described Kendra. Jer looked like he wanted to run away. (also holy crap I never realized how much Jer looked like Joseph)

I also have to lol every time a fundie guy wants a "quiet" girl. They might as well say "I need someone who will submit easily"

The Duggars say "skills" way too much. 

Except JD - He wants a girl who is at least more talkative than him! I really think JD is going to pull a Zach Bates, and marry some mainstream Christian girl he met living his own semi-independent life.

Why would we believe random tabloid rumours? You know 99% of the time they're pure bullshit, right? Otherwise Jim Bob and Michelle would be divorced, Josh and Anna would be divorced, Joy would be about 7 months pregnant, and Jana would be married to Tim Tebow. 

16 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Why would we believe random tabloid rumours? You know 99% of the time they're pure bullshit, right? Otherwise Jim Bob and Michelle would be divorced, Josh and Anna would be divorced, Joy would be about 7 months pregnant, and Jana would be married to Tim Tebow. 

and josh would be a child molester who cheated on his wife...

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived