IGNORED

Joe and Kendra: Holding Hands and Saying I Love You

choralcrusader8613

You guys, I know someone who put a CAR on their registry. 

I shit you not. 

And yeah, you can put a Macbook, a PC,sneakers, or a Buick on your registry and no one is going to arrest you. But people will talk about how tackyass you are. 

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, they really do crank these weddings out quickly.  I got engaged in January, and if the date on their registry is correct, they're getting married a couple of weeks before I am!

It does look like Joy's Friday wedding may have started a new Duggar trend, since September 8 is also a Friday.

18 minutes ago, thedeathllama said:

It does look like Joy's Friday wedding may have started a new Duggar trend, since September 8 is also a Friday.

Congratulations! 

My family didn't eat rice when I was growing up, so I never learned to make it.  When I got with my husband, he wanted Spanish Rice, and the recipe I got from his mother used Minute Rice, so I learned to make that.  But as our family grew, Minute Rice got too expensive to buy.  I tried to cook regular rice on the stove top, but it was very hit or miss.  Sometimes I had burnt rice on the bottom, sometimes the rice didn't cook enough.  You're not supposed to stir or lift the lid while cooking, so it was hard to tell what was happening in the pot.

Then I heard about a Rice Cooker.  Now that worked out well.  But I kept having to buy rice cookers because they didn't seem to last long.  Probably because we kept losing the lid or trying to cook things in it that some website assured us worked just fine in a rice cooker.

Now, I have a way that makes good rice every time.  I put the water in a pot, get it to a boil, add the rice and other ingredients and bring it back to a boil, then slap a lid on it and put it in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for the amount of time listed on the recipe.  Granted, I don't make a lot of rice dishes even today, so my method probably wouldn't work all the time, but for me, it works.  Minimal sticking to the pan, and the rice always fully cooked but not gelatinous.  Just stir it when it first comes out of the oven and put the lid back on to let it set for a few minutes.  

(I hate to admit it, but it even works with Rice-A-Roni.  Sometimes we've got to eat something fast and adding cooked chicken chunks to the chicken flavor, or browned hamburger to the beef flavor is the quickest way to get food on the table.  Just follow the recipe by browning the rice and then add the water and stir until it boils.  Add any additional ingredients and bring back to a boil.  Try to have all ingredients at room temperature before you add them to the pot.  If you think you might have boiled off too much water, add an 1/8 or a 1/4 cup of water just before you pop it into the oven.)

8 hours ago, catlady said:

i'm all for tools on the registry, as well as a few high-end appliances, because i'm on the side that still thinks registries should help the couple set up their home.  But things like shoes and restaurant gift cards (and $800 MacBooks) still bother me a little.  YMMV.

i'm on the fence with camping gear, unless it's something the couple does regularly.  Did DWreck ever get the kayak?  and if he did, did he use it?  

It was Benessa who requested the kayak and the Macbook. Last I saw, neither were purchased.

47 minutes ago, Flossie said:

Now, I have a way that makes good rice every time

We make rice like this at work when we need it for a special event. Fastest and easiest way too cook rice for 120+ people.

Dutch I feel your pain @Flossie ! RicRice is the one thing I just can't cook. - I've tried all the tricks. At one point it came up in conversation with my Iraqi friend's restaurateur father. His response was 'okay, we'll cook rice now. I'll teach you. ...20 mins later, after admitting I did everything he'd told me while he watched, he said: "I love you. Now get out of my kitchen and don't come in it again".

13 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Probably Minute Rice, anyway.

I "cooked" Minute Rice until the day I married MrSapphSlyth. He was appalled. He now does 95% of our cooking and that's fine with me.

I cooked minute rice all the time when we first got married. Didn't cook rice enough to get a rice cooker. Then I moved to Japan... where rice is served at practically every restaurant. 

On a trip back, my in laws made minute rice with dinner. I ate one bite of it and was like "Nope. Can't do it. Sorry." They weren't offended one bit. 

Here in Thailand, many cooks have a rice cooker and a wok. That's it. Don't need anymore to make most meals. Some also have a pottery crock you put charcoal in, and then a grill on top, for fish, seafood etc.

@SilverBeachMy friend's village entire economy is based on exported jasmine rice - the best is from Thailand(or so all Thais assure me!). You may be eating rice from Ban Kedong that I saw planted!! :my_biggrin:

Well worth it. One $800 MacBook will outlast four $300 PC laptops. Just sayin'.

Preach it my sister. My last MacBook was 8 and I still sold her for 250 dollars and she still ran like a champ.

6 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

Here in Thailand

One of my dearest life-long friends is visiting Thailand right now, for the first time. Her hubby is Thai, and she's posting the most beautiful FOOD pics! I've seen lots of woks. :)

3 minutes ago, Destiny said:

Preach it my sister. My last MacBook was 8 and I still sold her for 250 dollars and she still ran like a champ.

I resisted $pending the ca$h for a MacBook until my husband just went and bought me one for Christmas. I cried. It's AWESOME!!! I've had it since Christmas Eve and have only rebooted it TWICE in that time. lol

My work PC, on the other hand, has to be rebooted at least twice a week. I'm campaigning for a Mac at work. We shall see.

I resisted $pending the ca$h for a MacBook until my husband just went and bought me one for Christmas. I cried. It's AWESOME!!! I've had it since Christmas Eve and have only rebooted it TWICE in that time. lol

I have never had a windows laptop I didn't want to toss off the fucking balcony after a year. My MacBook was 8 and she still ran well, she just didn't have the power to run the programs I need. The next person who is less of a power user than I will run that sucker for another few years.
Other than os upgrades I don't think I've ever rebooted Ms. MacBook the second.

When our house was burgled a few years back, my WinXP laptop was one of the HUNDREDS OF THINGS taken (yes - he spent four hours in our house!). I had to replace it - quickly - with another computer because:  bills, online accounts, etc. Ended up with a Windows 8 machine. Within three hours I was ready to throw the fucker out the front door and drive over it with my car. Biggest POS in the world. Did I mention it had a touch screen? Did I mention I have CATS????

So happy with this MacBook - I am still just over the moon about it. And it runs all my Adobe programs (InDesign, PhotoShop, Illustrator) without a hitch!

People who think touch screens belong on a laptop belong in the special hell next to those who talk in a movie theatre. There is to be NO touching of computer screens. EVER.

People (or cats!) touching screens - unless they're tablets or phones - make me want to scream. I worked for a firm where screen-touching was actually preached against! All monitors were pristine. Where I work now? They love touching screens. I'm forEVer wiping greasy mitt prints off my screen. Drives me insane.

Our rice cooker is the handiest item in our trailer. We use it all the time camping. (We usually have hydro sites) It's so much easier than using the coleman stove to cook any vegetable, or pasta, and it works fantastic for cheese fondue. Put your cheese and ingredients in, turn it on cook, when it's nice and runny, turn it to warm Using an extension cord we can sit and dunk right into the cooker!

My mother and grandmother always cooked Uncle Ben's Rice(parboiled).I had a neighbor,and she did not eat rice.No one in her family did.But they constantly went to churches to get help with food...they'd give them rice,then she'd give the rice to me.Long grain rice,at first,I had hit or miss,it would be sticky,or I'd forget and it would burn  a little on the bottom.Then we started eating brown rice,and we did for years,but this past year,we have been eating Jasmine Rice,and we love it ,too.I forgot, that at first,I used Uncle Ben's Rice,too.But times and tastes change,sometimes.

I still think this is one of the more reasonable registries, unlike the Dullards who wanted 50k worth of crap. 

Love my mac. Still learning though... ( I'm old) How do I take a screen shot of a current page?? Greatest mystery of my life!

We eat a lot of rice. We're vegetarian but I am always in a hurry so stir fry it is! I recently switched to all organic Jasmine because my little one has autism and her heavy metals are checked yearly - her arsenic was sky high. Her MAPs said it was probably rice. Mother of the Year :(

If you are on a mac, get skitch. I swear by it for screenshots.

57 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

How do I take a screen shot of a current page?? Greatest mystery of my life!

Command + Shift + 3

Command + Shift + 4 gives you a cursor to select the portion of the screen you want. :)

10 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Putting a laptop on a registry is tacky. That's the kind of thing you buy yourselves. Not something you "need" to start your lives together. 

On the fence for this one. So many people want to go together to get gifts so if several people went together to get an "impact" gift it would be great and I disagree about a laptop or MacPro not helping for a household. We have 3 laptops and 2 iPads and because they are linked any one of them help us daily. We make electronic appointments, pay bills electronically, I store recipes on my laptop, take pictures for insurance purposes. They are young but I doubt they will sit and play computer games and all this being said from a person that registered so far back that all you registered for was china, nice glasses and maybe everyday dishware. 

9 hours ago, Hmmm_idolatry said:

So are the restaurant gift cards and socks.  I cannot with some of their registry choices.  

I just don't think I would ask for the gift cards but that is just me. Husband's nephew ( I won't claim him) and his fiancé/bride asked for donations for a honeymoon cruise to Alaska, uh, HELL NO! I think most people felt the same way so about 18 months in they were able to go after saving their own money to go. I have heard that it is a thing now to ask for donations for the honeymoon, weird.

19 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Probably Minute Rice, anyway.

I "cooked" Minute Rice until the day I married MrSapphSlyth. He was appalled. He now does 95% of our cooking and that's fine with me.

Literally me after I starting dating my SO in 2015.  The Minute Rice was one of the things I could make well. However, I started going to his place more and more after I realized he could cook well.  I made him food a couple of times and he realized why I didn't eat at my own apartment....He recently commented, "Basically, I made you food, you didn't leave, and you kept coming back."  It's so true LOL.

Re the laptop etc on the registry, three things:

1. Bear in mind that Kendra, at 17/18 has probably never owned something like this by herself, and Joe will have been on accountability watch with how he uses a computer in his house.  The Duggars had that weird rule where the daughters could have smartphones and the son's flip-phones because of the evil internets, plus their blockers on 'bad' pages, so even Joe being away at college for a year doesn't guarantee he had one.

(This is also why although Joy having hiking boots on her registry seemed odd, I gave it a pass, as she wasn't going to be coming from home with her own boots, outdoor coat etc like the average 19 year old who is really into the outdoors, and wants to go to mountains for a honeymoon)

2. We have no idea what Joe does for a living, and while they might get a bag of cash for their wedding, given both their families and Kendra being married off so young and in a Fundy context, she's likely to pregnant in a year, and if they're quiverfull, every year after that, so they'll have expenses and expenses.  It freaks me out imagining the pressure on Kendra to be in charge of household spending, because it seems like she's never even had to manage a bedroom of her own, and now she's in charge of a house?  But I can see why they're putting desirable items on the registry, as they don't exactly have much chance of buying them themselves.

3. As other people have said, just because it's on a registry, doesn't mean it'll be bought.  (Though I have friends who were advised to put something super-expensive on theirs, as people never buy the most expensive thing, so make sure it's something they don't actually want....  they put on a luxury patio heater, and laughed about it until someone did buy it for them and it's their white elephant, so that didn't work!)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived