IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

Oh and Virginia. In some areas there residents seem to drop the first R, so it comes out vig-in-ya. And Norfolk is no-fuck. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, twinmama said:

My mom's mom grew up in the Boston area, everyone else in Connecticut, but they ALL pronounce "drawer" as "draw." Until I WENT TO COLLEGE I thought you could either call it a drawer or just a draw. I didn't realize it was extreme Boston accent until college! lol My parents haven't lived in Connecticut in at least 15 years and they both still say draw every time. "Where's the pot holder?" "Oh in that draw right there" Cracks me up.

Huh. I've lived in Connecticut my entire life and have never heard anyone pronounce drawer like that. I grew up inFairgield county thoug and there's a strong New York influence on the culture there (so much so that some don't count them as real New Englanders.)

Just now, VelociRapture said:

Huh. I've lived in Connecticut my entire life and have never heard anyone pronounce drawer like that. I grew up inFairgield county thoug and there's a strong New York influence on the culture there (so much so that some don't count them as real New Englanders.)

Fun! I lived in New Canaan for a few years, loooooooved it. Though renting a crappy apartment in a town full of gazillionaires is an odd situation. Grew up in New Haven county though. I think the draw/drawer thing was just a Boston influence. The whole "I pahked the cah in Hah-vahd square" thing.

38 minutes ago, twinmama said:

Fun! I lived in New Canaan for a few years, loooooooved it. Though renting a crappy apartment in a town full of gazillionaires is an odd situation. Grew up in New Haven county though. I think the draw/drawer thing was just a Boston influence. The whole "I pahked the cah in Hah-vahd square" thing.

Ha! Husband and I grew up in the same hometown and we moved to New Haven county almost four years ago. Husband kind of misses being super close to family, but we both love how much amazing food there is in this area.

Man, I feel jealous over everyone's cool accents. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and about the only interesting thing we do is drop the "g" from the end of words, i.e. "runnin'" or "goin'." That said, my mom's family is Southern (she didn't grow up in that region) and I find myself occasionally slipping into a twang of sorts because of the influence of how she speaks, which was of course was influenced by her parents.

My housemates routinely laugh at me for my phonetic pronunciations. 

I say "Pro-test-ant" instead of Protestant.

Put sound on 'h' in herb.

I say Plat-in-um instead of Plat-num

And here's the kicker: I say Pon-gra-naught for pomergranite (I'm Jamaican) 

5 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Lancaster, PA, is pronounced "LANK-a-ster" NOT "Lan-Cast-er".. you can always tell when someone's from out of town..

I've lived in a different country and different parts of the US and always was told i sounded "Dutchy" lol. (Lancaster born and raised but not Amish or Mennonite).

6 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Lancaster, PA, is pronounced "LANK-a-ster" NOT "Lan-Cast-er".. you can always tell when someone's from out of town..

Here in SoCal, our Lancaster is pronounced the wrong way. :my_rolleyes:

I live in Ontario (Canada).  I personally don't think we have an accent at all, but all my American friends disagree. I guess I would liken our style of speech to a less harsh and much less twangy Milwaukee accent.

Regarding classic "Canadianisms" - I understand that the way people sound in ON/BC is is different than people sound in the prairies or in the maritimes, but this is my best take on how we pronounce words:

1. About: a-BOAT     (NOT aboot)
  2. Caramel:  CARE-a-mel
  3. Badminton: BAD-min-ton
  4. Toque: TOO-k
  5. Route: ROOT
  6. Pasta: PASS-ta
  7. Avenue: AAH-ven-you
  8. Been: bean
  9. Adult: a-DULT
  10. Futile: FYOU-tile

As with most things in Canada, our language is far enough away from British English that it's noticeably distinct, but it's not so far gone as to be American.

@WhyNotJulie,  I pronounce a few of this words the same as you do: caramel, route, badminton,  adult and futile.  It drives me slightly nuts to hear people on tv saying "carmel' instead of CARE-a-mel.  Since when did we drop the middle syllable from the word?  I learned the "root" pronunciation of route from that old 60s TV show "Route 66" and from the song composed by Bobby Group.  Nobody ever got their kicks from Rowt 66!  Dwight Yoakum doesn't sing about "Reading' and Writing' and Rowt 23" either.  It's Root 23.

22 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

Yes!We lived there when I was a little girl,and would go and visit my aunt and uncle who still lived there!

I say "Pe- cahn instead of Pee-can...my friend's mother said a Pee can goes under the bed for an emergency...lol.Not bashing.And I know a lot of people who say it that way.I was talking to another worker one and mentioned pecans.She said Melon you say pecan the way I do.

In this area some say hurri cun instead of hurricane.There was a song by Tanya Tucker, Two Sparrows in a Hurricane...and one of the girls I worked with said hurri cun,in fact sang it,to tease another worker who said it the Charleston way...hurri cun....she was good-natured and just laughed along with her.

I say car- a -mel,not car-mel.

Mr Melon and I pronounce different words differently.We tease or correct each other all the time.

Im from nebraska, and I've heard that we dont have much of a discernible accent, only a few little things here and there. My grandparents say warsh for wash but I dont know anyone younger than them that does. That said i personally have some pronunciation issues: 

wuhf for wolf

crown for crayon

pin for pen 

beg for bag

omly/lomly for only/lonely. 

I feel like im missing some. 

and i like to say ruhcoon for racoon bc it drives my husband crazy. But people dont say it like that around here really. 

20 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

I've lived in a different country and different parts of the US and always was told i sounded "Dutchy" lol. (Lancaster born and raised but not Amish or Mennonite).

Ah, Weel, it's easy ta sahnd "tuchy" when ye've lived ln Lancaster Cawnty!

I'm from philly...we don't have an accent, everybody else does! 

Unless accents are like really strong, I can't hear it. My parents are eastern african and me and my siblings didn't know they had accents we were much older (they were fluent in english before coming here for college so I'm assuming it used to be a lot thicker before I was born).

Living around Philly too, wooder is a major thing, and I remember being like wait you mean water? but when people heard me say melk (I'm assuming growing up during my fundamental years of my hometown of Boston) as milk I'm like okay that is justified.

On 27/05/2017 at 0:41 AM, Four is Enough said:

If you came to the UK, and wanted to go to the original Lancaster, which all the USA ones are likely named for, and asked anyone where Lan-CAST-er was, they'd absolutely know you were a stranger to these shores... 

Leicester is the English place name that used to trip up many .. It's pronounced Lester, but I was many times asked in London the way to lye-sest-er square...

Oh man the pin and pen difference drives me nuts. I worked at a place that had souvenir pins and pens at the register and I always had to double check what people were asking for because so. many. people. pronounced them identically.

I say "pen" and "pin" identically. It's hard to hear the difference for me.

I don't live in the south anymore and when I started my first class at a college a few years ago I was spelling my name for the roster and the professor heard the way I said the letter N (I guess it sounds more like "in" rather than "ehn" when I say it) and made fun of me for it. "'N?' What letter is 'N?'"

Dick.

Sorry to get back on topic. Apparently, this is Jessa's "tribe." The other girl is Kristen Young, the Tacos4Life wife. Check out the nasty floor. Love how Jessa entertains people (hey, she still practically lives there) in Ben's tee shirt and bare feet. At least put on some flipflops and maybe on of her OWN shirts. You certainly fit into them, since we see her wearing them when she's 9 months gone. 

Oh my life - tonight's shipping forecast had me thinking of you guys, every time she said anything about the conditions in such-and-such 'chan-awl'.

1 minute ago, marmalade said:

Sorry to get back on topic. Apparently, this is Jessa's "tribe." The other girl is Kristen Young, the Tacos4Life wife. Check out the nasty floor. Love how Jessa entertains people (hey, she still practically lives there) in Ben's tee shirt and bare feet. At least put on some flipflops and maybe on of her OWN shirts. You certainly fit into them, since we see her wearing them when she's 9 months gone.

I'm confused. What's nasty about the floor? She's not allowed to go shoeless and wear her husband's t-shirt when she's hanging out with her friends, indoors? What?

Coming out of lurkdom but I'm from Jersey, not JOISEY. Because no one talks like that here lol but I do say coffee like ca-awf-e (not sure how to show it)

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived