IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

I'll admit to pronouncing Titleist (the golf brand) as tit-lee-ist when I first saw it. Now I can't unhear it.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My older brother says "exTercise" instead of "exercise", "death" instead of "deaf", "SamsOng" instead of "Samsung", and "arkany" instead of "anarchy". 

3 hours ago, Jessalyn said:

To her merit, she did say, "arugula, or however you pronounce it." 

Not trying to snark on her, people's pronunciation of things make me smile. My best friend pronounces onion like ungyoung and Its become an inside joke because of how much grief I give her. :) I once had a 20 min discussion on a first date because the guy pronounced ruin like Roon and I think its pronounced Roo-inn. I think he was offended at first but by the end of the night we were pronouncing things wrong on purpose to make each other laugh. :my_biggrin:

My mother was from Germany,but at time before she met and married my father at 27,she lived and worked in England,as a nanny.My mother did not have the German accent ,like my aunt  her sister.When she pronounced some words,she did so like people from England.People would hear ,sometimes,and ask if she was from England.

I'm American, and I am seriously not poking fun at anyone,but my mother said " figga or figger for figure,I say fig- your.For butter,she said Buttah hard emphasis on the double T's.The word dark ....was Daaark.My brother's and I used to tease her and she was very good-natured about it and just laughed and did not get mad.

I was chatting with my husband at lunch today about Mt. Everest news and cannot pronounce acclimatize/acclimatization. Ugh. 

I didn't discover arugula and other types of greens until later in life. I eat them a lot now, even throwing whatever I have in a smoothie. 

1 hour ago, WhoompThereItIs said:

I'll admit to pronouncing Titleist (the golf brand) as tit-lee-ist when I first saw it. Now I can't unhear it.

At one of my jobs we used to draw names for Christmas gifts.One of the women I worked with got a man,an avid golfer...we even gave the person, 3 hints or wishes...anyway she said the man wished for Titleist golf balls....only she said " tit-less".

My husband is a golfer and he thought that was hysterical.

So many students say "libary" instead of "library." Drives me nuts.  

However, I'm the one that just misread this title as "Funnel Cakes". Must have the shore on my brain....

2 minutes ago, WiseGirl said:

So many students say "libary" instead of "library." Drives me nuts.  

I was literally about to say that the only one that drives me crazy is "liberry" instead of library! 

Also, how do you guys pronounce February and Wednesday?

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Her birthday love letter to Bin mentioned that he's always correcting her pronunciation of things, so maybe she's self-conscious about it now. :\

That sucks. If my husband mispronounces something (I am the English major in the household), I just try to repeat it back in normal conversation, pronounced correctly. You stay married longer that way. :D

3 minutes ago, marmalade said:

That sucks. If my husband mispronounces something (I am the English major in the household), I just try to repeat it back in normal conversation, pronounced correctly. You stay married longer that way. :D

I have loved and appreciated ALL my peer reviewers in college.  I also hated them simultaneously.  I would never want to be MARRIED to that!

43 minutes ago, VineHeart137 said:

I was literally about to say that the only one that drives me crazy is "liberry" instead of library! 

Also, how do you guys pronounce February and Wednesday?

Feb-you-aire and Wens-day. ;) 

12 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

I'm Australian, so disclaimer, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be ah-ROO-gah-lah for Americans, without the harsh GYOU sound, and it's ah-ROO-Gyah-lah in British English/Traditional English (more of a yah sound instead of a you)

Actually, us Brits call it rocket. ;)

12 hours ago, singsingsing said:

But some people just lengthen u's... 'COO-pon' vs. 'CEW-pon', etc. I mean, whatever, right? I'm just having flashbacks to Obama being criticized for saying his favourite food was arugula now. I guess he was supposed to say hotdogs, or steak from a cow killed by a bald eagle or something.

Mmmmm salad stuffs FTW! I could eat watercress until the cows come home (the proper stuff - the one they call lambs' lettuce at the minute).

5 hours ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

My husband says exscape and it drives me crazy   

I had had the hardest time saying cinnamon for years. Years. It always came out synonym. 

Definitely! Anything with the n ahead of the m makes my nose twitch - and not in a cool, cute, helpful way like Samantha either :(

1 hour ago, BadMammaJana said:

My older brother says "exTercise" instead of "exercise", "death" instead of "deaf", "SamsOng" instead of "Samsung", and "arkany" instead of "anarchy". 

Arkany - adjective describing the anarchy that happened on Noah's boat when they realised waste disposal wouldn't be invented for a good long while. 

This made my night ;)

I will leave this earth unable to pronounce embroidery. 

Fortunately, I have little reason to ever say it...

#undomestic

1 hour ago, melon said:

My mother was from Germany,but at time before she met and married my father at 27,she lived and worked in England,as a nanny.My mother did not have the German accent ,like my aunt  her sister.When she pronounced some words,she did so like people from England.People would hear ,sometimes,and ask if she was from England.

I'm American, and I am seriously not poking fun at anyone,but my mother said " figga or figger for figure,I say fig- your.For butter,she said Buttah hard emphasis on the double T's.The word dark ....was Daaark.My brother's and I used to tease her and she was very good-natured about it and just laughed and did not get mad.

Now that's interesting. A popular accent coaching tactic in UK if you need a US accent, one of the earlier dropping-in exercises is to get from 'it's better with butter' to 'bedda with budder' (that least one sounding a little like Buddha.

-----

Just for the sheer heck of it, how do you guys feel about Worcestershire Sauce?

5 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Now that's interesting. A popular accent coaching tactic in UK if you need a US accent, one of the earlier dropping-in exercises is to get from 'it's better with butter' to 'bedda with budder' (that least one sounding a little like Buddha.

Just for the sheer heck of it, how do you guys feel about Worcestershire Sauce?

Do you know which American accent they use that for? We have a ton of different accents here.

For the record - lifelong New Englander who pronounces them "butter" and "better." I, according to husband, do drop the "g" from the end of words for some reason. Not sure if that's a regional thing or just a Velociraptor thing.

17 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Do you know which American accent they use that for? We have a ton of different accents here.

For the record - lifelong New Englander who pronounces them "butter" and "better." I, according to husband, do drop the "g" from the end of words for some reason. Not sure if that's a regional thing or just a Velociraptor thing.

Yeah, you guys have so many gorgeous accents that do sound really different to each other. Sadly for most work situations you just need this 'generic American' for most projects.

That said, we saw this Irish actor in 'Doubt' last week, so he was Irish, playing a Bronx native, occasionally quoting an Irish guy anecdotally. His transitions were flawless, to the point I caught myself thinking (wow, that's really convincing Irish).

I'm totally guilty of the "dd" for "tt" thing. We had some free time at work one day and realized the only person pronouncing the t's was the girl from Germany. But it seems to be most pronounced (see what I did there?) with the Irish, Scots, and British accents. The Irish hit those t's especially HARD! 

6 minutes ago, marmalade said:

I'm totally guilty of the "dd" for "tt" thing. We had some free time at work one day and realized the only person pronouncing the t's was the girl from Germany. But it seems to be most pronounced (see what I did there?) with the Irish, Scots, and British accents. The Irish hit those t's especially HARD! 

Northern Brits have the glottal stop too. Things like 'with' becoming wit'

Hmmm...I have "anchorperson" accent. I pronounce the last H when I say "with." My only deficiciency seems to be the "bedder with budder" thing. 

You know what bugs? Many of the Duggars pronounce a final "g" as a "k." That and "whenever" for "when," but I understand that's a regional thing. We native Californians don't have any of that weird stuff going on. :D

@MadeItOut, I cannot get my husband to stop pronouncing it Wore-chestershire sauce, but at this point he may just be trolling me.  I generally call it something like Wooster sauce.  Or Woostershir sauce if I'm being at all proper.  Of course my Grandfather called it Dragon's blood (pronounced "blud" in his broad Yorkshire accent.)  

There are just some words that would be considered mispronounced in one area, that are widely accepted as correct in others.  It might make me crazy to hear foyer pronounced to rhyme with lawyer, but large parts of the USA say it that way.  (Around here, the last syllable of foyer rhymes with hay)  The Foyer-lawyer people are not wrong, just different from what is correct where I am from.

Mispronunciation makes me less crazy than plain old bad grammar.  Today I had a train wreck of a Student Teacher who kept talking about the metaphors that the class "had did" yesterday.   

I use Worcestershire sauce all the time in cooking and I literally have no idea how to pronounce it. Luckily I don't usually need to say it out loud!

And, I pronounce the first R in February. So it comes out sounding like FEB-roo-airy.

I think most Americans pronounce every syllable of Worchestshire as we would Dorchester, etc. This is where GB and the Americans definitely split ranks. I'll only use the British pronunciations if I'm talking soccer....oh, football....with a fellow fan who isn't necessarily even a Brit. I'll also do it with friends who have traveled to GB. If I start saying "Wooster" or "Doorster" a lot of Americans wouldn't have a fucking clue to what/where I was referring. 

On Food Network a lot of the chefs pronounce it like "wurst uh shire." That's how I say it. However I also live in California and say y'all.

If I said "y'all" around here, I'd get some very funny looks. Then again, I live in the second most liberal congressional district in the country; only Harlem is more liberal. I'm boring Standard American anchorperson through and through. :D 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived