IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

My SIL insists that everyone take off their shoes upon entering her home.She does not believe in going barefoot,she wears socks and believes the oils from your skin on your feet will ruin carpet.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Re the rude "you don't look disabled, what's wrong with you?" type questions - and all sorts of other rude questions - I love the Carolyn Hax-style reply of "what an odd question" or "wow, that's a very personal question"

Those responses are awesome. I long for the day I have the presence of mind to use them. Usually it wrong foots me when people are like that.

According to this test (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html) I, a German native speaker would live in either Baltimore, New York or Jersey City! 

In German I have a noticeable Swabian dialect. If I wanted to speak standard German, it would be hard work. I actually tried it several times but after a few minutes I automatically make mistakes. In school I wrote some grammatically wrong sentences at the beginning to. For example we say "der Butter" in my area, but the correct form would be "die Butter". We also talk slower, the Germans up north faster. 

5 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Those responses are awesome. I long for the day I have the presence of mind to use them. Usually it wrong foots me when people are like that.

My aunt had another choice for things like this..."Oh....I'm sorry if that is a problem for you", said dripping with sarcastic pity. Work on the various inflections. Very pompous of course, but not rude. Ha ha.

15 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

I have the world's most gorgeous mobility dog. Usually if it goes this way, they've completely squared up and blocked our path the better to pet her. Her harness isn't a deterrent. Occasionally I can get away with "& would you try to cuddle my wheelchair so fast?". People are... I dunno. Last week I sidestepped a guy and said " she's on duty" as we were on a clock. As I hurried down the corridor (posh hotel convention centre) I was treated to a "I was only trying to pet the dog you f* c* ".

EEEK! Does this happen a lot? My daughter has severe, non verbal autism. ( I get a lot of "BUT SHE LOOKS SO NORMAL!!!"   I hate people ) I am *thinking* about a service dog. But I would really want to get a puppy or young dog from a shelter or rescue and have it trained, rather than a breeder. Is this ever done? I have many questions! 

Also, I am born and bred in North Carolina, while I do call a shopping cart a "buggy", I do not say things like "can you carry me to the store?".  I do say "y'all" all the time, but never "yuns". (As you get further west in NC, it progresses from Y'all to You'uns to Y'uns.)  It's awful and There are so many! Makes me cringe. 

What a cool test! It listed three cities for me. One near where I grew up, one near where I went to college, and the city I live in now. Crazy!

ETA: The test also said I would probably not pass as someone native to Detroit, Akron, or Pittsburgh lol.

Wow, it pinpointed the city I lived it from birth to 12. I did not expect that.

Spokane, Minneapolis and Boise, which makes sense somewhat, I grew up in MT and western WA (live in Western WA now). They didn't ask the bag pronunciation question though! (everyone in MT says beg and not bag , same with similar words, and it makes me BSC!)

This Norwegian got Providence, RH. Which is not surprising because I have a New England accent. 

1 hour ago, Greendoor said:

Spokane, Tacoma, Seattle.  

Makes sense, nearest big city to me is Seattle.

me too!

I got Miami, Florida (specifically Pembroke Pines) or Yonkers. Which makes sense I guess. The state I've visited most is Florida and Pembroke Pines has a high population of Caribbean immigrants. I go to college in New York. 

As my voice teacher would say; there is no right way to pronounce things, they're all different. Unless it's glottal stops. He HATES glottal stops. 

The only thing that annoys me is when people say Iraq with a long 'i' sound (instead of ir-ack) and University of Notre Dame (pronounced Note -er Dame). 

Santa Rosa, Reno and Modesto for me.

I grew up in Sacramento (between Modesto and Reno) and have lived all over Northern and Southern CA, as well as in Chicago.

I live on the Monterey Bay on the Central CA coast.

9 hours ago, Gobbles said:

According to this test (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/12/20/sunday-review/dialect-quiz-map.html) I, a German native speaker would live in either Baltimore, New York or Jersey City!  

Fellow German with the same result. Wonder if it is because we have British and American English in school? I picked a lot of the British words.

I got three cities in Texas. I've only been to the airport in Dallas as an infant. The closest I come up with as to why is that I have one southern parent and grew up in the Midwest. 

I got New York, Jersey City and Yonkers.  Since I lived, worked and attended school in NYC it makes sense.

2 minutes ago, mlsgregg said:

I got Oceanside, California. I'm nowhere near California. Weird.

I got the same and i'm spanish. I blame Hollywood :pb_lol:

It got me pretty close...  gave me a couple of smaller cities near SF.  I've been in the Bay Area for over 20 years but was in the midwest before that and I'm married to an Australian so there are some words/phrases I've kept from childhood and others I changed to what's used here or what dh uses a lot.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived