IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

2 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Just for the sheer heck of it, how do you guys feel about Worcestershire Sauce?

I always pronounce that wrong on purpose. There was a Halloween episode of South Park way back in the day where they needed Worcestershire Sauce to defeat zombies. They kept saying it differently, but most said "wur-sher-sher-sher"

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say Feb-ya-wear-y and whens-day lol I don't know what kind of accent that I but I'm pretty sure it's weird.  Also I speak very different in different situations. Like work verses home. At home my words all slur together and I get a more loose with the g's at the end of words.

Also my husband cannot say cinnamon to save his life and it's so funny. He commonly says words wrong or uses the wrong word in a sentence he asks me to always  tell him just not in front of other people. He has gotten much better.

4 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Actually, us Brits call it rocket. ;)

lol yes I know - Aussies call it 'rocket' as well. But if you HAD to pronounce it, wouldn't that be how you'd say it? Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant.

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

Hmmm...I have "anchorperson" accent. I pronounce the last H when I say "with." My only deficiciency seems to be the "bedder with budder" thing. 

You know what bugs? Many of the Duggars pronounce a final "g" as a "k." That and "whenever" for "when," but I understand that's a regional thing. We native Californians don't have any of that weird stuff going on. :D

I think it was my freshman year of high school, maybe sophomore, my English teacher from New York was so annoyed with our SoCal vernacular. I remember he said "I have the hardest time reading your papers. A lot of you write 'he goes and she goes' and no one goes anywhere! You're supposed to say 'he said/ she said.' I did that in everyday speech with my friends, but never in a formal paper. He also pointed out that so many people, not just Southern Californians, mispronounce words like "walk" and "talk". We're supposed to pronounce the L although most people act as if its silent. So ever since then, I always pronounce the L in those words. My husband thinks it's weird, so he tried to undo my English teacher's teaching, but whenever I try to make the L silent, I sound like I have an exaggerated Bostonian accent. 

Pronouncing "ing" as "ink" was something I heard a lot in the UK, though I think the people who did it most were immigrants from places like Poland. The UK has a lot of regional variation, too, so perhaps it was just a southern england tendency. From what I'm told, Americans regularly confuse the southern accent for Australian, but neither the English nor the Aussies I knew could understand why. I'm American, so maybe some others here can chime in on if they feel the same.

Northern California here. My first grade teacher would emphasize the "h" in the "wh" combination, like in "whale." It was a very big thing for her, but I never heard anyone else do it until that Family Guy episode from years ago.

The New Englanders we hang out with insist that it's "wooster" sauce, which is fine by me. I'm in the Bay Area and don't have time for all those extra syllables.

3 hours ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

lol yes I know - Aussies call it 'rocket' as well. But if you HAD to pronounce it, wouldn't that be how you'd say it? Sorry if I wasn't clear, but that's what I meant.

Hmmmm okies..... I reckon I'd put the stress on the first syllable and a little at the start of the second, and then harden the u sound, so something like: A-roo-gullah - that last being like those pretty little birds you guys have in Australia, only with a 'uh' instead of the first a.

The only mispronunciation that really drives me crazy is "miss-chee-vee-us." (Mischievous). Lol. 

On 5/23/2017 at 10:07 PM, VineHeart137 said:

So Jessa's got a few Instagram stories up right now of herself getting a pedicure while the boys are with Ben. This one made me chuckle. Not sure if it was a typo or if Henny is an actual nickname they use for Henry, but where I'm from Henny is common slang for Hennessy the drink.

Screenshot_2017-05-23-22-02-17.png

Wtf those nicknames in their phone contacts are so extra. They're truly like kids playing house. 

Oh and that birthday letter reads like a fan fiction.  SO juvenile. Lmao

5 hours ago, missegeno said:

Pronouncing "ing" as "ink" was something I heard a lot in the UK, though I think the people who did it most were immigrants from places like Poland. The UK has a lot of regional variation, too, so perhaps it was just a southern england tendency. From what I'm told, Americans regularly confuse the southern accent for Australian, but neither the English nor the Aussies I knew could understand why. I'm American, so maybe some others here can chime in on if they feel the same.

100% about the Poles & "ing" as "ink", we don't have that sound in our language. When I was learning English I also had problems with the difference between for example "feel" & "fill", also the "th" sound is not easy. When it comes to mispronuoncing names, I'm pretty sure I do that a lot, English pronoounciation makes no sense lol! Sometimes I feel like there is just no connection between the way it's written and the way you say it!

5 hours ago, ak1188 said:

The New Englanders we hang out with insist that it's "wooster" sauce, which is fine by me. I'm in the Bay Area and don't have time for all those extra syllables.

Yep! Definitely pronounced "Wooster" around here. Still took me forever to remember how to pronounced it when confronted with the actual word though. And that's even considering I had a friend in high school with a very similar last name I always got wrong.

Vineheart,I say Feb- u- ary....my father said Fe  brew ary. Wednesday is Wen s day.

I say  Wor st er shire sauce.My grandmother said Wooster sauce.

I say A r U gah la.

And Mr Melon says In legal for illegal. Instead of pry ,it's prize....if you to "pry" something open.

Toy ota is Tee ota..to him.

My cousins say I dear for idea.

And my son's evil ex spoke fluent Portuguese...with a southern accent.I admire her for learning another language.The German phrases and words,I remember..hell,I probably do the same...speak German with a southern accent.

My brothers and I heard German spoken at home,but my parents used it for private conversations...in front of us.Until we started taking German,in school.It always made me feel like they were talking about us,which they probably were.

I had a friend at work who spoke English and Spanish,she'd speak Spanish with another friend,if she did not know or remember a word,she'd insert an English word,my mother and aunt did the same with German.

There were some more friends ,at work,and they are from the Philippines,they speak Tagalong  to each other.They'd talk about people,too.Not saying I never do.There was a group of temps,and one had a muffin top....they talked about her.They also insert English words for unknown or unremembered words.I got the gist of their conversation and one even asked if I knew their language.

7 hours ago, ak1188 said:

Northern California here. My first grade teacher would emphasize the "h" in the "wh" combination, like in "whale." It was a very big thing for her, but I never heard anyone else do it until that Family Guy episode from years ago.

Hahaha every time I say Cool Whip now I pronounce the H like in that episode.

4 hours ago, MadeItOut said:

Hmmmm okies..... I reckon I'd put the stress on the first syllable and a little at the start of the second, and then harden the u sound, so something like: A-roo-gullah - that last being like those pretty little birds you guys have in Australia, only with a 'uh' instead of the first a.

1230294730_8976627d5e_z.jpg?zz=1

GOTTA LOVE A FLAMIN' GALAH, MAAAAAAAAAAAATEEE

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Wtf those nicknames in their phone contacts are so extra. They're truly like kids playing house. 

I wonder if Michelle has her kids in her phone as Precious Little One #1, Precious Little One #2, Precious Little One #3...

50 minutes ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

I wonder if Michelle has her kids in her phone as Precious Little One #1,   Dipshit that made us lose our show Precious Little One #2  Live-in maid Precious Little One #3...

There, i fixed it :pb_lol:

54 minutes ago, Front Hugging Fiend said:

I wonder if Michelle has her kids in her phone as Precious Little One #1, Precious Little One #2, Precious Little One #3...

Don't kid yourself.  They are only numbers until it gets to Precious blessing #20 Josie :my_angel:

13 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

There, i fixed it :pb_lol:

Ooh, this is fun!

1. Precious Little Sinner
2. Precious Little Slavemaid
3. Precious Little WhatDoYouDoAgain
4. Precious Little Angel Child Who Is Obviously My Favourite
5. Precious Little Jawline
6. Precious Little Tanning Salon
7. Precious Little WhichOneAreYou
8. Precious Little Disappearing Slavemaid
9.  Precious Little Failed Courtship 10.  Precious Little Twin Boy
11. Precious Little Twin Boy (the other one?)
12. Precious Little That One
13. Precious Little Other One
14. Precious Little Wait There's More?
15. Precious Little Thank You For Making Us Famous
16. Precious Little Gi- No Wait, I'm Bored Now
17. Precious Little Yep There's Another Girl
18. Precious Little Oh Whoops I Almost Forgot About You
19. Precious Little Miracle Child of God's Power and Supplier of Attention and Sympathy and Oh Such a Blessing!

I've probably told y'all (see what I did there) the story of the time I was doing phone reservations for a major hotel chain out of their call center in Omaha.  We had to learn where all of our hotels were located and their codes for the computer system.  A guy called in to reserve a hotel in "Wooster, MA".  I told him we don't have a hotel there.  He says, "I'm pretty sure I've stayed there before... can you check again."  I looked over the list.  "Nope, no Wooster."  He says, "can you just read me the names of the Marriott hotels in Massachusetts?"  I started and when I got to "Wor-ces-ter" he nicely says, "that's the one.. can you book me in there please."  LOL.  I didn't realize until a while later that his pronunciation was the 'right' one.

9 hours ago, ak1188 said:

I was born in Rhode Island and still in my head say War-ick and Warwick

Norwegian over here, who speaks English with a Boston accent. Thank you, extended family! The worst word for me is litterature, I don't know why, it's just so hard to say! I also say banana weird, probably more British than American, so my American relatives tend to tease me about it. 

15 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

Norwegian over here, who speaks English with a Boston accent. Thank you, extended family! The worst word for me is litterature, I don't know why, it's just so hard to say! I also say banana weird, probably more British than American, so my American relatives tend to tease me about it. 

I am also Norwegian and I struggle so hard with that word. I pronounce it as litrahtjøreh, and have no idea if it is even close to correct.  

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

I've probably told y'all (see what I did there) the story of the time I was doing phone reservations for a major hotel chain out of their call center in Omaha.  We had to learn where all of our hotels were located and their codes for the computer system.  A guy called in to reserve a hotel in "Wooster, MA".  I told him we don't have a hotel there.  He says, "I'm pretty sure I've stayed there before... can you check again."  I looked over the list.  "Nope, no Wooster."  He says, "can you just read me the names of the Marriott hotels in Massachusetts?"  I started and when I got to "Wor-ces-ter" he nicely says, "that's the one.. can you book me in there please."  LOL.  I didn't realize until a while later that his pronunciation was the 'right' one.

The one in Ohio is spelled that way (Wooster). Be careful how you say it- they didn't do quite enough research in "We Are Marshall" and pronounced the oo to sound like Pooh instead of the oo in book. 

That said, I'm glad we've just been talking mostly about pronouncing objects. Place names are a whole different experience. It's really fun to move from one state to another, then have to learn how to pronounce some interesting cities and landforms. 

I definitely say "budder" for butter and "brudder" for brother. TH's are a unicorn around here. "Ting" for thing, "dere" for there, "dat" for that, "de" for the, "tree" for three; so on and so forth. I spent a good portion of my university years with mainlanders, realizing that haff errr Half the stuff that I said was slightly odd. Oh well, you're supposed to learn something new every day. :) 

I grew up in Winston Salem NC in a part of town called " Buena Vista" ...pronounced B-YOU-nah Vista.:my_rolleyes:-it's a WS thing!

And we have different ways of saying Beaufort depending on whether you're in NC or SC- not to mention we both have a seaside town called Beaufort.

You say "Bow-fort" or "B-you-fort" depending on who/where you are... In NC we are the former.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived