IGNORED

Seewalds 22 - Funerals and Embryo Cake

choralcrusader8613

My husband often makes fun of me when my Wisconsin-ness comes oot...those long o's tumble out here and there. Apparently we say bag with a long a, melk for milk, and a water fountain is found in a park- you drink out of a bubbler. Oh YaH don'tcha kno. 

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about pronouncing words is interesting to me because I needed speech therapy as a kid. Occasionally I'll get people asking me where my accent is from, and I'll just tell them I used to have a speech impediment. Then I watch them squirm uncomfortably as they apologze. It's fun making people feel like a total asshole :pb_lol:

Every time I read how some of you pronounce words I get confused. In my accent, your saying it how I say it, bit then I remember we have different accents and are most definitely pronouncing things differently!

So without further delay... (in my area at least):

-Shopping carts are called Trolleys

-Water fountains are called Bubblers

- Regularly is pronounced Reg-you-lee

-Strawberry is pronounced Straw-Bree

- Library is pronounced Lie-Bree

-Flips flops are Thongs

Then you have the great Australian regional variations for words such as:

- The clothing you wear while swimming could be called Swimmers, Cossies, Togs, Bathers and probably a bunch of other words too

- Potato Scallop, Potato Scollop and Potato Cake are the same thing

And the greatest debate of all, Sausage Sandwich, Sausage Sizzle and Sausage on a bread.

I'll just refrain from confusing everyone even further by adding a whole new region into the mix. And don't get me started on New Zealand and their Jandals and Chilly Bins!

24 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Occasionally I'll get people asking me where my accent is from, and I'll just tell them I used to have a speech impediment. Then I watch them squirm uncomfortably as they apologze. It's fun making people feel like a total asshole :pb_lol:

I must admit, I do the same with the folks who follow up 'well you don't look disabled' with 'what's wrong with you then?' - I say "well, it's a 35-part multi-disability pattern. Souvenir of my marriage". ...I enjoy the squirming too on rough days.

8 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Speaking regional dialect who here knows what beggars night is? :my_rolleyes: 

I do!!!! But, I grew up in the Des Moines area, so that goes hand in hand. I remember getting my Halloween costume on and meeting up with my group of friends (and we always choose the friend whose neighborhood had the best candy). The parents would line us up and make sure we had our jokes ready, because many houses wouldn't give out candy without a joke on Beggars Night.

Mr. Museum was an army brat growing up and his birthday is Oct. 30. I told him once, "Oh, you're a Beggars Night baby." He gave me a look and said, "What the fuck is that?"

Excuse me, my central Iowa upbringing is showing. Lol

2 hours ago, Greendoor said:

In BC here:

2: Car-mle

edited to add:

It's pronounced Herb - 'erb is pretentious.

I think us Ontarians definitely have an accent. I only notice it when I hear myself on tape with other non Ontarians 

Also everytime I read this thread title my brain reads it as funnel cake

Just adding to @Kangaroo's lesson up above.

Sometimes water fountains are called drink taps as well, no idea why.

Also, Melbourne is pronounced Mel-Ben in my neck of the woods.

:) Aussie slang is also another kettle of fish. This morning, I learnt that slang is short for "short language". Never knew that!

3 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I must admit, I do the same with the folks who follow up 'well you don't look disabled' with 'what's wrong with you then?' - I say "well, it's a 35-part multi-disability pattern. Souvenir of my marriage". ...I enjoy the squirming too on rough days.

Any rude-ass ignorant person who would say something like this doesn't deserve an answer. Just walk away.

Drinking fountain at least when I was growing up.

We wore thongs too as kids, had to trade to sandals once the underwear revolution occurred.

And I agree with Silver Beach. 

5 minutes ago, SuhrEnity said:

I think us Ontarians definitely have an accent. I only notice it when I hear myself on tape with other non Ontarians 

I'm from Newfoundland and I don't have an accent. ;) I swear! 

I have an accent with issues...I spent the first 9 years of my life in Philadelphia PA. Then...the 'rents moved me to Bad Newz VA. Ok...that's bad enough but combine that with a mother whose first language was Spanish and a father whose first language was German and throw in my redneck friends...it's a wonder anyone can understand me at all!

1 minute ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

I do!!!! But, I grew up in the Des Moines area, so that goes hand in hand. I remember getting my Halloween costume on and meeting up at my group of friends (and we always choose the friend whose neighborhood had the best candy). The parents would line us up and make sure we had our jokes ready, because many houses wouldn't give out candy without a joke on Beggars Night.

Mr. Museum was an army brat growing up and his birthday is Oct. 30. I told him once, "Oh, your a Beggars Night baby." He gave me a look and said, "What the fuck is that?"

Excuse me, my central Iowa upbringing is showing. Lol

HAHAHAHA! I love explaining beggars night to people not from here. 

Just now, SilverBeach said:

Any rude-ass ignorant person who would say something like this doesn't deserve an answer. Just walk away.

I have the world's most gorgeous mobility dog. Usually if it goes this way, they've completely squared up and blocked our path the better to pet her. Her harness isn't a deterrent. Occasionally I can get away with "& would you try to cuddle my wheelchair so fast?". People are... I dunno. Last week I sidestepped a guy and said " she's on duty" as we were on a clock. As I hurried down the corridor (posh hotel convention centre) I was treated to a "I was only trying to pet the dog you f* c* ".

16 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

The "You don't look disabled" garbage is why I'm afraid to stand up for myself. Like if every seat is taken on the metro, I'll just put up with the back and knee pain that gets triggered from the constant lurching.

3 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

I have the world's most gorgeous mobility dog. Usually if it goes this way, they've completely squared up and blocked our path the better to pet her. Her harness isn't a deterrent. Occasionally I can get away with "& would you try to cuddle my wheelchair so fast?". People are... I dunno. Last week I sidestepped a guy and said " she's on duty" as we were on a clock. As I hurried down the corridor (posh hotel convention centre) I was treated to a "I was only trying to pet the dog you f* c* ".

What an asshole!! Throw dog poo at people like that.

1 minute ago, HarryPotterFan said:

What an asshole!! Throw dog poo at people like that.

Not the worst by a long chalk. One of my 'faves' was the cafe manager I complained to regarding her waiter trying to deny me access, who cricked her neck to smile and catch Mr MIO's and explain kindly: "It happens so rarely you see. They usually don't let them out". ...she still has teeth - his reflexes are quicker than mine.

21 hours ago, feministxtian said:

We lived just south of Eustis off Jefferson...15 min to Busch. I worked at Newport News Shipbuilding and hubs was stationed (at various times) at Norfolk Naval, Little Creek, St Julien's Creek, Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. Then he retired and went to work at the Shipyard (like all good squids do upon retirement or getting out of the Navy). 

Were you there before or after the new commissary at Eustis? 

'06-08 then I moved to Hampton when the ex and I seperated. 

One of the other things to add for dilicets is the adding an 's' to most words even if it's meant for a single object or place

Do you mean stuff like Octopususes? - I know it should be octopi, but I'm a holy terror for just bunging an 's' on the end.

...on the plus side, I now have that Eddie Izzard skit in my head: ''...You conjugate the verb to hang glide...''

18 minutes ago, MadeItOut said:

Do you mean stuff like Octopususes? - I know it should be octopi, but I'm a holy terror for just bunging an 's' on the end.

...on the plus side, I now have that Eddie Izzard skit in my head: ''...You conjugate the verb to hang glide...''

A lot o people actually consider "octopi" to be incorrect, as it results from an incorrect assumption of the origin of the word ("Platypi" is similarly incorrect), so you're just fine saying "octopuses!"

15 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

A lot o people actually consider "octopi" to be incorrect, as it results from an incorrect assumption of the origin of the word ("Platypi" is similarly incorrect), so you're just fine saying "octopuses!"

Technically the correct plural is "octopodes" thanks to the Greek root, but octopuses is now an officially accepted modern plural form :) 

Just now, Georgiana said:

Technically the correct plural is "octopodes" thanks to the Greek root, but octopuses is now an officially accepted modern plural form :) 

Yep. I meant to include this wikipedia link with the previous post.

I'm definitely a descriptivist, not a prescriptivist, so I don't like to say anything is actually incorrect if it's a word that people use and understand. That said, I do kind of get annoyed by things like the use of "alum" rather than "alumnus" or "alumna" as the singular of "alumni." :pb_lol: I've even heard "alums."

1 hour ago, Shadoewolf said:

'06-08 then I moved to Hampton when the ex and I seperated. 

Ok, then you were LONG after the gnarly, ugly, nasty commissary closed down...the freezer case area was in this shed-like building with gravel floors...

Here in Thailand, you always take your shoes off going into a home, usually do in small shops (not in the shopping malls or supermarkets), and often going into offices. They even make men's shoes that look like dress shoes from the front, but have no back so they can be slipped off easily!

Most people have a shoe rack just outside or inside the door, but after a party it can be - interesting - finding your shoes :my_confused:.

After the spousal unit saw the amount of dirt on the carpet in front of where he usually sits, I had NO problem convincing him that there would be no shoe wearing in our new place...that has brand new carpeting. So far, so good...

Re the rude "you don't look disabled, what's wrong with you?" type questions - and all sorts of other rude questions - I love the Carolyn Hax-style reply of "what an odd question" or "wow, that's a very personal question"

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived