IGNORED

Whitney and Zach Bates - Part 3

samurai_sarah

I am going to agree with the poster that loves Kaci's outfit. It's really adorable. Those jeans are awesome. I don't mind the bow either TBH. I'm admittedly guilty of loving little hair bows although if my daughter's ever don't want to wear one they would never be forced to do so. 

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/29/2017 at 2:32 AM, nausicaa said:

Yeah, it's doubtful anyone is going to become a surgeon or a trial attorney with their weak homeschooling and general disparagement of higher education, but it puts options like phlebotomist, dental hygienist, fireman, and mechanic on the table.

Also, those jobs are fine. Not everyone wants or needs to go to college/an Ivy league/be earning shedloads of money. It's fine.

With these guys, though, the decision is taken away from the children because of limited opportunities and their education. 

19 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

@Hisey Not sure if you got mixed up or if this was another case of autocorrect striking again, but her name is Kaci. Not Laci. :) 

Autocorrect. I know my fundie baby names!

On 30.9.2017 at 8:16 PM, Hisey said:

Really? I don't like it at all. 

Why does a toddler need jeans with a zipper on the bottom? That's just plain uncomfortable and probably irritating to her baby skin as she crawls and toddles around. You gotta wonder why Bradley gets to wear simple, soft pants and Laci is encumbered by a stupid zipper, when she is far too young to care about fashion. 

And she's wearing jewelry? Even though she might swallow it? I guess that's a risk worth taking, so long as she looks cute.

Those slippers are ridiculous. Toddlers can barely walk as it is. They need firm, sturdy shoes with support. Probably like the kind Bradley is wearing. How can Laci learn to run and play in those things? What about helping her develop gross motor skills?  I guess making sure a one-year old looks "cute" is more important. The thing is, one year olds look cute no matter what they wear. 

That outfit is all about what Whitney likes. No thought to what's good for the baby. I hate when people do that to their baby girls.

As long a children don't choose their own clothes their outfits are always about what their parents like. 

I don't see a problem with the bracelet or the soft shoes (from an orthopaedic view much better for the foot and walking development). The jeans might be uncomfortable but some children don't mind and some do, who knows how Kaci feels in them. 

Dressing your children in trendy adult-like outfits is just a preference, the same as dressing them in a lot of nude colours, or a lot of bold colours or keeping them in onesies till they are two. 

I'm happy to see her in pants every time especially as they don't haven't stopped yet with her being more and more mobile. How are pants keeping her from developing motor skills? Isn't skirt only one of the rules that make it especially difficult for girls to take part in more active activities.

4 hours ago, just_ordinary said:

As long a children don't choose their own clothes their outfits are always about what their parents like. 

I don't see a problem with the bracelet or the soft shoes (from an orthopaedic view much better for the foot and walking development). The jeans might be uncomfortable but some children don't mind and some do, who knows how Kaci feels in them. 

Dressing your children in trendy adult-like outfits is just a preference, the same as dressing them in a lot of nude colours, or a lot of bold colours or keeping them in onesies till they are two. 

I'm happy to see her in pants every time especially as they don't haven't stopped yet with her being more and more mobile. How are pants keeping her from developing motor skills? Isn't skirt only one of the rules that make it especially difficult for girls to take part in more active activities.

It's the silvery slippers that can inhibit gross motor skills. Can she run in the mud in those, or climb on a jungle gym or (when she's older) climb a tree? Can she stomp in puddles? These things may seem silly and unnecessary to you, but they are the work of childhood.

That toddler needs sturdy shoes that provide support for her growing feet, not floppy slippers that satisfy her mother's need to dress up a doll.

A good parent sees things from his child's perspective. A bad parent chooses whatever they like, without thought to the child's needs. What does a toddler need to be her best self, and to learn explore, and have fun? For one thing, sturdy, well-made shoes to run around in. No jewelry, which would just snag on something or be a choking hazard.  Soft, comfortable clothes that allow her to focus on exploring the world.

Of course, it's fine to dress up a toddler for a wedding or Sunday dinner. But Whitney goes out of her way to say that they just happened to be hanging around when Bradley asked to take a pic. 

Dressing toddler girls (it's always girls) in silly, uncomfortable inappropriate clothes is narcissistic enough. It is even worse when the mom is dressed in a comfortable, functional outfit herself.

On 9/28/2017 at 7:23 PM, llg1234 said:

Kaci's outfit is adorable imo. Whitney would probably do well as a mommy blogger, lol

She looks cute but omg, I've never seen a baby with so much jewelry on. She must be wearing 3 different choking hazards! 

Just gotta disagree about the soft shoes thing.  I left my first kid without shoes at all for months so she could get used to the sensation of walking.  She's 6 now.  I did put her in harder shoes after a while, but as you know recommendations change.

i currently have a 2 year old. Her doctor did not recommend hard shoes.  Adamantly against it.  He wanted her to build support and ankle strength without them.  In fact, even now she has stride rite shoes that have a softer bottom so she can feel the ground.  They do 'staged' shoes now with increasingly hard bottoms so kids learn balance and gain strength.

How did humans evolve without hard shoes?  Depending on the climate, perhaps they were needed for warmth or to protect against bugs or rocks.  But there have even been people in rainforests climbing trees, running over roots  without shoes.  Native peoples over the world used pliable animal skins, etc.  This hard sole/support thing is a relatively new invention and I think it does a disservice to our kids.

I REALLY don't agree with everything the Bates believe or do, but the whole Whitney dressing thing has become a damned as you do, damned as you don't thing.  So if the baby was in a long praries dress, it would be a tripping hazard, she couldn't play in it, etc.

i don't personally put my girls in jeans bc I think they are too restrictive for THEM and now my 6 year old chooses her own clothes and it's always leggings.  But I really don't care others who wear jeans.

Jewelry.  I don't personally do jewelry for my littles, but I'm really only strict on necklaces bc I don't want them learning to put things around their necks yet   I'm afraid it'll happen when I'm not around so I just discourage anything around the neck until they understand better.  Neither of my two were 'mouthy' kids and never really put anything in their mouths (including pacifiers).  So having small things hadn't been a problem for us after about 12m.   Every kid is different.

12 hours ago, Hisey said:

It's the silvery slippers that can inhibit gross motor skills. Can she run in the mud in those, or climb on a jungle gym or (when she's older) climb a tree? Can she stomp in puddles? These things may seem silly and unnecessary to you, but they are the work of childhood.

Dressing toddler girls (it's always girls) in silly, uncomfortable inappropriate clothes is narcissistic enough. It is even worse when the mom is dressed in a comfortable, functional outfit herself.

Although I personaly agree that these clothes don't really seem like clothes to run and play freely outside with, and that the jewelry can be dangerous when children are playing while wearing this, it is very possible that she is just wearing these clothes for the picture, and that Whitney changes her into 'play clothes' (eg. clothes that can get dirty, no/less jewelry) when they go to play outside.

Kaci is obviously too young to choose her own outfits, so it makes sense to me that Whitney buys her outfits that she likes on her daughter. As long as it isn't harming the child physically and/or mentally, I have no problem with parents dressing their toddlers as they like and see fit. 

My 4 yo boy always picks jeans over anything else. Eventough I encourage "yoga pants" (no idea what the word is but you get my drift). I have even turned to buying bigger sizes so he has more movement. And guess what those bigger sizes are criticized, you can never satisfy everone.

Additionally, the only requirement I have heard for children learning to walk and there shoes are that they should be soft.

I personally don't care for Kaci's outfit, it's too grown up for MY personal taste (although I know it's trendy to dress little girls in mini versions of outfits that grown women would wear). But if that's Whitney's style then I don't really see the problem. The pants do look like they could be uncomfortable but my daughter has a couple pairs of jeans/jeggings that are much more soft and stretchy than they look so maybe Kaci is fine in them.

Although I do think the jewelry is not the best choice because choking hazard.

I wouldn't put jewelry on a baby. Choking hazard and it just seems like a waste of money considering they'd probably eat or break it right away.

The outfit is cute though. I won't snark on the bow because both Kaci (and Brooklyn) look so much like their dads I can almost get their "bow so they know it's a girl" logic. :pb_lol: 

I have pictures of my daughter in dresses that are WAY too fancy for day to day...but, I loved dressing her up. When she was little she loved getting dressed up and I'd indulge her.  My sons were in jeans from the time they were toddlers. My granddaughters got dressed up for church mostly then in jeans, shorts, etc. the rest of the time. I don't think my kids wore shoes much, none of them liked shoes. I STILL don't like shoes! Fortunately I can wear sandals/flip flops most of the year. Kids here don't wear real, hard shoes pretty much EVER! 

I didn’t notice the necklace but that’s just an odd choice for a baby. That sort of fashionable long necklace thing doesn’t make sense and seems like an unnecessary risk for choking/strangling. The shoes seem a bit much but maybe it was just for the pics. But the shirt and jeans I think are adorable. Whitney obviously loves her trendy babies :tw_glasses:

I get that zippers on bare skin would be irritating but if you look the jeans are lined. The zipper never touches her skin. 

1 hour ago, llg1234 said:

More baby outfits to discuss and dissect! 

I want to know what Zach is doing to get into shape. He's looking good. 

OMG a baby girl in jeans. I call shenanigans! I wonder what Gil and Kathy? Kelly? Whatever the hell her name is REALLY thinks of a grandbabyGIRL in pants. 

6 hours ago, fluffernutter said:

OMG a baby girl in jeans. I call shenanigans! I wonder what Gil and Kathy? Kelly? Whatever the hell her name is REALLY thinks of a grandbabyGIRL in pants. 

Not sure but their own daughter was the one that set precedent. Alyssa's girls have almost always worn pants, IIRC. I kinda feel like Alyssa wearing pants was part of the reason Whitney felt comfortable enough to go back to pants.

Disclaimer: I know pants don't mean squat in the grand scheme of the cult.

Early walkers should be barefoot. If they must be in shoes, they need soft soles. Hard soles are terrible for early walker development.

As for medical coding, most of the places I have worked, including my current facility, utilizes RNs for all coding positions.

Just to add about shoes and babies:

I don’t know what recommendations are normally, but my almost 20 month old nephew is required by his Doctor to wear heavy and thick soled boots or sneakers. This has been the case since he was about a year old and they first noticed he walked pigeon toed (on his tippy toes and toes turned inwards.) If he is running around barefoot he reverts right back to his pigeon toe walking/running, but with the boots he’s unable to do that and has to walk properly. So he’s basically in shoes all day long due to medical necessity. 

And this is why I rarely judge other parents*, even celebrities, unless I know them very well. You simply can’t know what’s going on or what factors went into their decision making. 

*Obviously matters of safety are another matter. I will absolutely judge a parent who willingly puts their child in danger - like Alyssa and John Webster for having their daughter forward facing in the car so early (and for having the straps positioned too high - though Alyssa seemed grateful to be informed about that) or the Duggars for failing to protect their daughters from Josh (which I seriously judge them for because he fucking molested two daughters and was given ample opportunity to molest two more after that.)

I love the parenting discussions...you young folks would have lost it back in the dark ages when I had my babies. 

I think what I'm trying to say is that yeah, it's nice that things have gotten "safer" and all that shit but...my brats survived, including getting rear ended (fucked me up good but the kids were fine). Back in the dark ages (1982-1990) car seats were just becoming required, it was a given that the kid would be front facing at a year and out of the seat by age 3. Back then, the kids wore the hard soled Stride-Rite high tops until they were probably about 2. There was no "child-proofing" back then, other than teaching the little brat not to mess with certain things...you all would have shit bricks when my then 18 month old decided to take the cover plates off ALL the outlets in the dining room and living room, with an honest to God screwdriver. I'm also the awful, abusive mother who let her kid scorch his hands on the oven door when he wouldn't take me saying no seriously. He figured out HOT right quick then. 

Taught one of my kids about the seat belt thing by locking the brakes up and letting him slam his face into the seat in front of him. He's 30 years old and won't start a car until he has his seat belt on. No anti-lock brakes in 1992.

My brats jumped off garage roofs, walked across the tops of swing sets, rode bikes w/o helmets, full speed ahead down a big hill on our street. One broke his foot wrestling with his brother on the top bunk. I didn't notice it until the next day. The day he got the cast off he fell and sliced his eyebrow open because he insisted on running (not like me telling him not to run was going to do any good). 

Personally, I think kids are being way too coddled anymore. Let them get boo-boos, let them learn that if they raise hell in the car, mom will pull over and tell them to get out until they can behave (did that on a stretch of I-64 somewhere in West Virginia once). 

I think there is a wide range between letting your kid get boo-boos and rough house with each other, and avoiding possible death in a car accident. I am sincerely happy for those kids who survived childhood without car seats and baby proofing. Unfortunately not every child did, which is why more safety measures have become available. I will also point out that drivers are more distracted than ever in this day and age thanks to smartphones. (Seriously people, if you absolutely HAVE to send that text, PULL OVER).

Personally yes, I am a "crazy car seat lady". My daughter is two and still rear facing and will probably still be in some type of car seat or booster when she heads off to kindergarten, depending on her size. It has been proven that it is the safest way for a small child to travel. I do not think parents who did things differently were awful and abusive, but I also do not think it is coddling to use any and all available resources to keep my child safe. That is my job.

Like most things in my life I come down somewhere in the middle. I follow car seat laws/recommendations but Im not going to gave them in 5 points til theyre 10 either. I have  outlet covers and the cleaning supplies locked up but thats it. I vaccinate my kids fully, try to follow feeding and sleeping safety recommrndations.  I do let my kids climb and rough house a bit. My son with Autism is extremely athletic and has amazing gross motor skills being something he excels at I have been very open with letting him climb and explore his physical limits. He is just super graceful, my daughter not as much so Im a little more careful with her park activities etc. I just try to use common sense, keep informed and consider new safety advice with what I already know and understand about my own kids. There are some helicoptor parents and parents who are a little too militant about certain things to the expense of letting their kids learn and explore the world and their own strengths. But following car seat laws, sleep and feeding recommendations, vaccines and appropriate medical care and such do not fall into that category.  Thats just basic common sense and being a parent.

I am firm on not spanking, at minimum for my own kids. I wish no one would but wouldnt get involved unless I know it crosses the legal definition of spanking in my state. If it does I will be on the phone. Otherwise no one touches a hair on my kids head 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived