IGNORED

Lori Alexander 18: Taking Pictures in the Closet

choralcrusader8613

Somehow I don't think "batshit" is in that 1828 dictionary either.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Just because a word isn't found in her 1828 dictionary means that it is a 'word our foolish culture has recently invented'. 

I've heard someone give a similar defense of using outdated books (history books in their case) because it didn't contain "inappropriate" and "unpleasant" things. You know, the sort of historical people and events that are important to read about so we don't repeat the same mistakes. It's ridiculous, as if censoring something from a person's reading means it didn't happen or doesn't exist. 

2 hours ago, louisa05 said:

But my main takeaway from today's post is that it's too bad we can't transport Lori back to 1828. She would find out it was neither magical nor utopian and would be crying for her pampered 21st Century life within 15 minutes.

Perhaps some sort of exchange system could be worked out? Modern people with a rosy view of the past can go back, and we'll take back people from that time period who'd like indoor plumbing, vaccines, K-12 education, birth control, refrigerators, etc. can join us in the present. ;) 

I may not have an 1828 Webster's Dictionary right in front of me, but when I go online and find it, guess what- there's MISOGYNY. Shocking, I know. :2wankers:

21 minutes ago, December said:

Perhaps some sort of exchange system could be worked out? Modern people with a rosy view of the past can go back, and we'll take back people from that time period who'd like indoor plumbing, vaccines, K-12 education, birth control, refrigerators, etc. can join us in the present. ;) 

Didn't PBS have a show kind of like that?  People agreed to live like people did in the 1800's?  I think the group of people they chose made up a town or village.

I don't remember the name of it but it was very eye opening.

I would have loved to see Ken and Lori participate.  No sitting on the computer all day for Lori that's for sure.  No flying off to Europe for Ken.

Maybe someone here remembers the name of the show.

5 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Didn't PBS have a show kind of like that?  People agreed to live like people did in the 1800's?  I think the group of people they chose made up a town or village.

I don't remember the name of it but it was very eye opening.

I would have loved to see Ken and Lori participate.  No sitting on the computer all day for Lori that's for sure.  No flying off to Europe for Ken.

Maybe someone here remembers the name of the show.

I think it was "Frontier House"? 

44 minutes ago, December said:

we'll take back people from that time period who'd like indoor plumbing, vaccines, K-12 education, birth control, refrigerators, etc. can join us in the present. ;) 

Oh please, that would be every single one of them! We can't possible fit them all into house of LoriKens and other idiots - I mean there are plenty of idiots but i hope not that many :5624798d10d1f_nayIsayno:

But I wish I could send some people back *forever*

"feminists will NEVER be content because they are searching for worth on this earth instead of in Christ and they will NEVER be men!"

Huh. I've never had a particular desire to be a man. I've never even wanted to be LIKE a man. I enjoy being female -- I think biologically speaking, it's a pretty incredible thing. What I don't like is being denigrated for my biology and the way this culture treats me due to my female-ness. THAT is what I dislike. 

Screw being a man. No thanks.

9 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

I think it was "Frontier House"? 

Yes, that's it!  Thanks @TeddyBonkers.

I just did a google search on the show and it was even rougher than I remembered. I'd sure love to see the Alexanders in something like that.

Are men spiritually superior? No, it’s simply the way God has designed it partially because women are the ones who are easily deceived because they are often led by their emotions and feelings instead of by wisdom, as these tweets prove.

According to Lori and her ilk, men are visually driven, want sex more than women, and are constantly tempted by women who don't dress modestly. Thus, men are often led by their emotions and feelings.

It happens to all of us. We get hungry, thirsty, bored, annoyed... and we make decisions based on our emotions. Women and men.

44 minutes ago, December said:

(snip)

I've heard someone give a similar defense of using outdated books (history books in their case) because it didn't contain "inappropriate" and "unpleasant" things.

(snip)

Hahaha! I consider pretty much every mention of the word "war" as unpleasant. Now, where will I find a history book suitable to my fine feelings? :)

Also, I present a historical dictionary as evidence to the contrary: The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue (1811): https://www.archive.org/stream/1811dictionaryof05402gut/dcvgr10.txt

It went through several editions, starting, I believe in 1785. Pretty much like ye olde urban dictionary, and sometimes a very informative peek into social history. For example, I was unaware that stealing people's pet dogs and holding them for ransom was a documented criminal business. But like every publication of its ilk, it has to be read with a grain of salt.

Unlike, as with say, Shakespeare it's difficult to say how widespread it all was. Shakespeare wrote for an audience that would just "get" his references and jokes, so they were commonplace. Pretty easy to gauge how commonplace too - if no one laughed, either no one got it, or it just wasn't funny. Or both. This kind of dictionary therefore is probably not an accurate depiction of what things really were like, but it shows that our ancestors had dirty/criminal minds too.

But the several editions the book went through shows that all this business about "the good old days" is just make-believe. Which was the point I set out to make, before I got side-tracked.

(Sorry, history nerd -I always get carried away. :) )

I can't believe someone on facebook says she has never heard of the word (misogyny). LOL! How they live in a sheltered bubble. 

Joyce says:

May 1, 2017 at 8:41 am

Thanks for the post. The word “misogyny” appears in the 1828 Webster Dictionary and is defined as hatred of the female sex. According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, the word was first used in 1656.

Lori Alexander says:May 1, 2017 at 9:25 am

I stand corrected, Joyce. Thank you. I must have misspelled it when I looked in my 1828 Dictionary.

Well, I never thought I'd see the day! Did Lori just admit she was wrong about something??

How many other mistakes does she make because her spelling sucks. She has done that so many times.

39 minutes ago, kpmom said:

Yes, that's it!  Thanks @TeddyBonkers.

I just did a google search on the show and it was even rougher than I remembered. I'd sure love to see the Alexanders in something like that.

Along the lines of The Frontier House was the 1900 House, an English city home that came with a maid and grocery delivery. Even so, the lady of the house got so disgusted with 1900s hair products that she went out to a shop and bought shampoo. One can only imagine how Lori would have made out.

Lori Alexander says:

May 1, 2017 at 9:37 am

You are right, Phylla, but what these women are calling hatred of women is not hatred of women. They are misusing the word and essentially calling God a hater of women which He is not.

I would like to know then where is the line for hatred for women for her? What does a man have to do or say that she would call hatred? 

My husband and I follow pretty traditional gender roles.  He's the pastor of a pretty conservative church with no women deacons etc..

I do, however, work outside the home and wear pants. We also send our children to public school, but something really bothered me today. 

What broke my heart in the comments from today's post was a woman saying she was glad to clean HIS house (isn't it your house too?), and care for HIS children (Aren't they your children too? You carried them and labored for them).  

I don't consider myself a feminist, but that's just wrong.  

I watched a couple of episodes of Frontier House when it came out. I agree with previous posters, Lori wouldn't last on a show like that. She would be crying half way through the first day of filming about how lost she is without modern appliances or technology.

I didn't watch Frontier House (or any of the other American ones - I think there was Colonial House and at least one other one) but I did watch 1900 House and 1940s House. 1940s House was BRUTAL, in my opinion. The family was a typical middle  class family in London during WW2. Rations, bomb shelters, simulated bombing, sleep deprivation, sewing black out curtains, etc. 

No telephone, internet (obviously), refrigerator, lack of soap and norwix? Lori would be so unhappy. Especially when the husband on the show left for a few weeks and the rest of the family had to figure out how to pull together. They were supposed to slaughter some rabbits but couldn't, so the show had to provide the rabbit meat in a different way. They had to create a victory garden. Lori would never bother to grow her own vegetables for her big salads. 

Yeah, I don't understand how Lori tries to make cooking seem like a days work, especially considering that her two main offerings are soup and salad.

My husband actually enjoys cooking on the weekend, but he's got a kidney stone at the moment, so I took over.

It took me 15 mins to make a menu, an hour to shop, and an hour and some change to prep and cook each meal. 

*Disclaimer* I am a "country" cook.  None of it's fancy, but here it is.

I made a homemade veg. beef soup for a lunch. Meatloaf w/ homemade mashed potatoes, carrots, and cabbage for a dinner.  Roast w/ rice, carrots, and green bean casserole for another lunch.  Baked pork chops w/ stewed squash, green beans, creamed corn, and potatoes for another dinner. 

I am also going to try a new Mongolian beef recipe, and do a soft taco and taco soup night.  

None of these things took up anywhere close to a majority of my day.  Once everything was prepped and on the stove (or even better, the slow cooker), I was able to get other things done (laundry/cleaning).

I think Lori likes to make her life sound complicated, but she mostly just sits and monitors other adults on the internet (she said something very similar to that in her video about spending her days as an older woman.  She also said she prefers peace and quiet, but doesn't always get it.  Because grandchildren.).  

If she had to do a quarter of what she tells other women to do, she'd probably have an absolute meltdown.

She seems to take every short cut possible.  Norwex cloths that almost never need to be washed.  Raw chicken?  No problem?  Wipe and reuse.  Yum.  

Tired of vacuuming?  Buy 2 realllllly expensive vacuum cleaners and carpet that "never needs to be vacuumed" *gag*.

Dinner?  Big salad.  If Ken wants something else, he can fend for himself.  They also eat out at least once or twice a week.

Kids? Nanny.  House? Maid.

And remember, we can do for ourselves, but "it's so much easier to ask someone else".       :roll:                                

6 hours ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

*snip*

How many other mistakes does she make because her spelling sucks. She has done that so many times.

And for the love of little green apples, she's sitting RIGHT IN FRONT of a computer, typing her drivel. If I can't spell something, which happens, I Google it, and bam! there's a nice suggestion "did you mean...."

I am willing to believe that she didn't even try to look in her dictionary, and figured no one would call her on her shit.

1 hour ago, Maggie Mae said:

No telephone, internet (obviously), refrigerator, lack of soap and norwix? Lori would be so unhappy. Especially when the husband on the show left for a few weeks and the rest of the family had to figure out how to pull together. They were supposed to slaughter some rabbits but couldn't, so the show had to provide the rabbit meat in a different way. They had to create a victory garden. Lori would never bother to grow her own vegetables for her big salads. 

Lori would probably refuse to slaughter animals and would say that "it's a man's job"and that "women shouldn't be doing manly things".  I remember when she did a blog post about how they visited a farm in Wisconsin and she made a bunch of claims about how "only men hunt for meat and take care of farms". I was go pissed when I read that blog posting because my maternal grandparents had a ranch and my grandmother and few other female relatives slaughtered animals for meat alongside my grandfather. 

@lilwriter85, if it was bigger than a suckling pig, my grandmother let my grandfather handle the slaughtering :pb_lol: The chickens were entirely her domain.

I don't understand what she means by "take care of farms". Does she mean milk cows, gather eggs, have a large garden, etc? Because that's pretty much fallen under the realm of "women's work" in a historical context. What, does she think farm wives just sit around quilting?

51 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

@lilwriter85, if it was bigger than a suckling pig, my grandmother let my grandfather handle the slaughtering :pb_lol: The chickens were entirely her domain.

I don't understand what she means by "take care of farms". Does she mean milk cows, gather eggs, have a large garden, etc? Because that's pretty much fallen under the realm of "women's work" in a historical context. What, does she think farm wives just sit around quilting?

Baking bread, churning butter, making cheese , preserving fruits and vegetables, preserving meat, spinning , weaving, washing clothes by hand having dragged the water from a well or stream..

Watching The Tudor Farm or The Victorian Farm* shows just how hard men and women both worked to ensure their survival.

Every member of the household had to chip in. Children as young as three had their own tasks as did the elderly family members.

* There's a couple of others but the Edwardian Farm and the War Farm did have some degree of mechanization to assist with some of the more labour intensive work.

1 hour ago, TeddyBonkers said:

Probably quilting and staying with the kids in the house is what Lori imagines of farm wife life.

1 hour ago, lilwriter85 said:

Lori would probably refuse to slaughter animals and would say that "it's a man's job"and that "women shouldn't be doing manly things".  I remember when she did a blog post about how they visited a farm in Wisconsin and she made a bunch of claims about how "only men hunt for meat and take care of farms". I was go pissed when I read that blog posting because my maternal grandparents had a ranch and my grandmother and few other female relatives slaughtered animals for meat alongside my grandfather. 

My Mom divided every job into pink and blue. I wasn't allowed to help mow, learn car maintenance or annthing like that because it's a  "man's job." 

1 hour ago, lilwriter85 said:

Probably quilting and staying with the kids in the house is what Lori imagines of farm wife life.

There sure wouldn't be time for blogging, writing notebook entries for FB, and answering comments.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived