IGNORED

Lori Alexander 17: Pooping on Someone Else's Lawn

Well I suppose it just really depends on the person. I am absolutely no good at literature essays and one module in first year was enough to cement this, there is no way I would've chosen any other literature module afterwards. 

Plus there is a major gap between Maths GCSE and the A Level. You are advised to have achieved an A grade in the GCSE, which I did. But even then it is reportedly very hard and you likely would've needed to like maths somewhat to persevere with the course. 

And you have to pass numeracy tests etc to be a teacher. 

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Showtunesgirl said:

If she doesn't think that women should go to colllege but should homeschool their kids, what kind of foundation education will those college-bound sons have? 

On top of that, I also wonder why people with these beliefs wouldn't just homeschool the girls and send the sons to a Christian school if ladies are so bad at education. :my_dodgy:

9 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

When I was a student, this was one of those things that varies by state. I'm not sure how it's changed, but I only needed 2 years of math and IDK how much english (I enjoyed English, it was easy A for me) to graduate.

Yeah, in my high school we did not have to do math every year, and we had a fair amount of freedom in choosing our classes. You might have 6 classes in a day, but only 3 were mandatory, and the rest (art, business, etc.) you opted into. 

I can't imagine that anything is more pleasing to the Lord than seeing believers gossip about one another online. 

Lori must be so proud. 

1 Timothy 5:13

And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.

And, I find it REALLY interesting that her ideas have shifted only AFTER she has become a wife. She was free to do her own thing before that, but now that she is a helper to a husband, she thinks it means differently than she taught all those years?

Could it be because now she finds herself, with her full time ministry, not being a keeping of the home? The Word of God does not change meaning based on culture. It is a shame to see her compromising, however so slightly.

I stopped following Nancy a while ago. I felt like she had changed her message to "relevant". I'm so disappointed.

Lori would have a shit fit if the women quoted were teaching in schools or administering life saving care in a hospital, but she's totally okay that they are sitting on their asses gossiping and tearing down another believer with her.  It's what all of the godly women are doing! :roll:

I wonder...why doesn't Lori do an entire post on what the Bible says about gossip?  Seems like that's something a godly woman should know.

54 minutes ago, TeddyBonkers said:

That's tragic. I'm sorry. Africa needs Jesus.

Oh, Lori, how little do you know!  That woman speaks for the majority. I encourage you to stop condescending upon women who tell you about the realities of their lives, telling them "how tragic" you think it is, and go see it for yourself.  Pack a suitcase, get all necessary shots, and travel around a little. You probably don't even have to leave your city to find people who love Jesus, yet struggle in life.  Go to the poorest countries and you'll find people who love Jesus, struggling for their lives and still blessing others. Something you seem incapable of doing - and no, writing "blessings" at the end of a snotty reply does not count as blessing others-. 

Well I suppose it just really depends on the person. I am absolutely no good at literature essays and one module in first year was enough to cement this, there is no way I would've chosen any other literature module afterwards. 

Plus there is a major gap between Maths GCSE and the A Level. You are advised to have achieved an A grade in the GCSE, which I did. But even then it is reportedly very hard and you likely would've needed to like maths somewhat to persevere with the course. 

And you have to pass numeracy tests etc to be a teacher. 

As a full time teacher, I taught high school English and history. As I understand it from a friend who now lives and teaches in the U.K. I would not have needed any math or math testing for that job. Now I am a substitute teacher and have different grades and subject areas every day and need knowledge that was not required for the job I trained for at all. But a liberal arts degree and varied high school requirements mean I have that knowledge background.

People here frequently change careers in their lives. Often completely retraining with new degrees in wildly differently areas. Is that possible in your system? Can a journalist go back and become a math teacher in her 40s? Can a dancer become a nurse at 50? Those are real examples of people I know.

I'm not criticizing as much as I simply think that locking people in to one or a few areas of focus at 15 or 16 is potentially very limiting. I have taught a few hundred kids that age. Very few really knew what they wanted in 5 or 10 or 20 years yet. And they had not always been exposed to enough to make a choice

Lori commenting on the book:

She also used a great quote by Jani Ortlund: “Our homes, imperfect as they are, should be a reflection of our eternal home, where troubled souls find peace, weary hearts find rest, hungry bodies find refreshment, lonely pilgrims find communion, and wounded spirits find compassion.”

Judging by her blog and her behavior on facebook, I wouldn't think her home is a place where anyone finds any of the things mentioned in that quote.  Lori creates an atmosphere of strife, unrest, judgment, separation and guilt.  

1 hour ago, louisa05 said:

There is value in being challenged to learn things we don't like or think we are not good at. It also lets students explore and be exposed to new things. 

Yeah, in my area, students just don't know all the options for a career. I didn't know when I was a teen. I knew that I could be a doctor, lawyer, nurse, etc. But i'd  never even heard of engineering until college. 

And, since I'm the first in my family to complete more than a certificate in college, I didn't realize how stupid I was when I dropped math in favour of an extra art class.

Furthermore, we don't know what will be important in the future. When I graduated, no one ever considered that "social media manager" or "social media expert" would be a job that pays 80k. Social media didn't exist, outside of tiny niched on the internet. With all this automation, IT support, network engineering, etc seems like the wave of the future, but who knows, right?

@louisa05  They can, IIRC. There are adult education courses you can take and things called "access" courses where you can take classes in subjects and then be admitted to university. There's also the Open University. I checked the Maths degree, for example, and you don't need a formal maths qualification, you just need to be "comfortable" with basic maths concepts. OU is online/distance based so you can work alongside the degree. In fact that's the same with all OU courses- no formal qualification needed. 

[mention=15834]louisa05[/mention]  They can, IIRC. There are adult education courses you can take and things called "access" courses where you can take classes in subjects and then be admitted to university. There's also the Open University. I checked the Maths degree, for example, and you don't need a formal maths qualification, you just need to be "comfortable" with basic maths concepts. OU is online/distance based so you can work alongside the degree. In fact that's the same with all OU courses- no formal qualification needed. 

What about a student in university whose life experience leads to a complete change of interest for a major study area? What avenue is open to the student who comes to university with credentials in only science and realizes a year later she wants to study foreign language and public policy?

2 hours ago, jerkit said:

0_o LOLOLOL. So freaking weird. Look, I am a very clean, almost obsessive person. Fuck if I'm going to take pictures of my clean house and send them to some crazy lady.

I'm surprised she didn't email her idol, Debi Pearl and ask for a picture of her kitchen.

Now she's gossiping (heartily, as unto the Lord!) via notebook doodle.  A reader "attacked her" by saying she "tickles women's ears".  Umm, isn't that what Lori is ALWAYS saying about other people?  Is it "attacking" when she does it?

She really doesn't have a lot of luck with thinking, does she?

32 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

What about a student in university whose life experience leads to a complete change of interest for a major study area? What avenue is open to the student who comes to university with credentials in only science and realizes a year later she wants to study foreign language and public policy?

No idea. That's not happened to anyone I know. Usually if people realise they've chosen the wrong subject they drop out and do extra qualifications/reapply.

Foreign languages are not popular as a subject here. Most people gladly drop them once they're able. 

No idea. That's not happened to anyone I know. Usually if people realise they've chosen the wrong subject they drop out and do extra qualifications/reapply.
Foreign languages are not popular as a subject here. Most people gladly drop them once they're able. 

Foreign language was just a random example. Here's the big difference: you can change your mind a year or two into college or university here and you don't need to drop out. If you got into college, you are qualified and any credits you've already taken will apply to general ed credits. And I think that is a very good thing as changing your mind or finding a new passion at 18, 19 or 20 is not just okay, it is perfectly normal.

41 minutes ago, Koala said:

Now she's gossiping (heartily, as unto the Lord!) via notebook doodle.  A reader "attacked her" by saying she "tickles women's ears".  Umm, isn't that what Lori is ALWAYS saying about other people?  Is it "attacking" when she does it?

She really doesn't have a lot of luck with thinking, does she?

Who is this "she" she is talking about? Where did the  conversation go down I wonder?  Of  course the double standards. Lori loves to go on about all the preachers/teachers who like to tickle ears. I guess she is just attacking them then.

1 minute ago, AlwaysDiscerning said:

Who is this "she" she is talking about? Where did the  conversation go down I wonder?  Of  course the double standards. Lori loves to go on about all the preachers/teachers who like to tickle ears. I guess she is just attacking them then.

She's still dishing on Nancy W. too.

I was just made aware that Nancy has no problem teaching to men, either. 

So godly...

Sure hope Ken's in the mood for a Big Salad for dinner, because Lori certainly doesn't have time for anything else.  Ministries to trash, women to scold...

Lori throws out the baby with the bathwater so much. You have to be 100% perfect on everything and all the time to meet her approval. If you are so wise and have good discernment you should be able to read and like all sorts of people and just toss out what you don't agree with rather than trashing the entire person or giving up on them. A reasonable person would tell you there may be an author they don't always agree with but that they still find their work valuable. Not with Lori. She has a very pass/fail standard on godly people or teachers. If you use letter grading. I would give Nancy a B based on what Lori says. Fine she may not be as strict about certain things, but overall she gets across a lot of important messages and sounds like she is still a good resource. Only the Pearls get a strong pass and a strong A + in her world. For everyone else, she finds something wrong, some reason to fail them. 

I'm quite a lot older than @mango_fandangobut also based in the U.K., so I thought I'd add my own experience of our system. I chose to study chemistry, physics, maths and music from 16-18, as I was heading to medical school. Unfortunately, I was kicked out when I became disabled, and had to use a wheelchair full-time. I took some time out to concentrate on rehabilitation and then went back to university to study physics, and ended up in investment banking before I became too ill to work. I also have a qualification in patisserie, and another in pattern cutting for fashion, so I would say it's relatively easy to change direction. 

I have friends who have gone from engineering to accountancy, economics to banking and then to teaching, foreign languages to law and then to interior design, law to novel writing, psychology (PhD) to law, medicine to stand-up comedy. Most courses, e.g. for teaching, nursing, and law, have much more flexible requirements for adults with relevant experience or interest, but without the 'correct' A-levels. As @mango_fandangosaid, there are also one-year access courses to help people get up to speed, for example, if they want to study medicine without any science/maths background. A friend of mine is now a doctor after following that path. 

I'm quite a lot older than [mention=19693]mango_fandango[/mention]but also based in the U.K., so I thought I'd add my own experience of our system. I chose to study chemistry, physics, maths and music from 16-18, as I was heading to medical school. Unfortunately, I was kicked out when I became disabled, and had to use a wheelchair full-time. I took some time out to concentrate on rehabilitation and then went back to university to study physics, and ended up in investment banking before I became too ill to work. I also have a qualification in patisserie, and another in pattern cutting for fashion, so I would say it's relatively easy to change direction. 
I have friends who have gone from engineering to accountancy, economics to banking and then to teaching, foreign languages to law and then to interior design, law to novel writing, psychology (PhD) to law, medicine to stand-up comedy. Most courses, e.g. for teaching, nursing, and law, have much more flexible requirements for adults with relevant experience or interest, but without the 'correct' A-levels. As [mention=19693]mango_fandango[/mention]said, there are also one-year access courses to help people get up to speed, for example, if they want to study medicine without any science/maths background. A friend of mine is now a doctor after following that path. 

Here you would not need to make up any pre-university level work for any undergraduate program because all high school diplomas (for education from about 14-18) are general with course in all areas. I am not going to be convinced that being exposed to a variety of subject areas at that age in order to choose later is a bad thing or that people having to revisit teen level education to make career changes as adult is convenient.

Yeah. With law you can do a law conversion course i.e. do the usual three year degree in just two years. 

And the late great Graham Chapman did medicine (or was a qualified doctor, I think the exact route was a bit different in those days) and comedy was something he went into via the Cambridge Footlights which was open to people studying any subject.)

I can totally see your point though @louisa05. My Bulgarian friend (where you do all subjects to 18) was similarly surprised, but she's come to accept it to a degree. 

1 hour ago, jerkit said:

I keep expecting Lori to be rational about something, anything and I continue to be disappointed.

Her whack-job manifestos only delight those who are on the fundie crazy train.

I do agree, @louisa05, though only one friend I mentioned (the medic) had to go back and take first year college courses before starting medschool-proper. All the others just changed direction with postgraduate study. 

I would have liked to continue with art and modern languages, and I think the International Baccalaureate that @mango_fandangomentioned is better for giving students a broader range of skills right through high school. Lots of schools here are starting to offer that as an alternative to just 3 or 4 A-levels.

Are students able to take courses that suit their skills/levels in maths, for example, or does everyone have to get to the same point in each subject before leaving school? I would imagine that would leave universities with a lot of catch-up teaching to do for heavily maths/science based courses? 

1 minute ago, BlackSheep said:

1 minute ago, BlackSheep said:

Her whack-job manifestos only delight those who are on the fundie crazy train.

I feel like most fundies have things they can be rational about, but Lori has nothing. She is completely crazy cakes all the time about everything. Absolutely nothing she says is consistent nor makes a lick of sense.

Another male follower has the following to say. Emphasis mine.

The home is not a physical place. In scripture a "house" is a jurisdiction in which the husband is head.
This includes all his businesses, people, buildings, rules, etc...

The bible doesn't say a woman has to be locked up in a building. But it DOES say that she must stay in her husbands house!

No working for other men. No voting for a separate political candidate. No having a separate bank account. These are the kinds of things that the devil uses to drive women away from husbands, not buildings.

Think in terms of jurisdiction. Wifey shouldnt be running her own system. If she manages any portion, its a portion of her husbands house, not her own.

Wifey.... that says it all. Jerk.

I do agree, [mention=15834]louisa05[/mention], though only one friend I mentioned (the medic) had to go back and take first year college courses before starting medschool-proper. All the others just changed direction with postgraduate study. 
I would have liked to continue with art and modern languages, and I think the International Baccalaureate that [mention=19693]mango_fandango[/mention]mentioned is better for giving students a broader range of skills right through high school. Lots of schools here are starting to offer that as an alternative to just 3 or 4 A-levels.
Are students able to take courses that suit their skills/levels in maths, for example, or does everyone have to get to the same point in each subject before leaving school? I would imagine that would leave universities with a lot of catch-up teaching to do for heavily maths/science based courses? 

Secondary math is typically ability tracked. College bound kids are encouraged to get through to at least trigonometry and pre-calculus now.

Science is generally an introductory physical science course, biology and chemistry. Students with an aptitude or interest can later choose from advanced chem and bio courses, anatomy and physiology, or physics.

Everyone in most secondary schools has a chance to focus on advanced coursework in most subject areas but still has to do a minimum in every area.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived