IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: She's in Shorts?!

choralcrusader8613

2 minutes ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

I'm more curious to know what's printed on the tracts  (if they are tracts) that they're handing out. 

"Meet us every Sunday! Get to meet one of the famous Duggar daughters! Sermon included."

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, bananabread said:

<snip>

However, I am surprised how QUICKLY Jinger embraced sleeveless tops, pants, etc...like literally on her honeymoon! Makes you think she had her eye on more mainstream fashion for a while, and had worked out any moral qualms with it long before her marriage. <snip>

I want to highlight (having pc issues) "had worked out any moral qualms with it long before her marriage." I think this is the key. I know fundie girls/women going from skirts to pants or shorts does not mean that they are going to be fundie lite or mainstream Christian. I think it shows that they don't fear being banished to hell for not wearing skirts (or long hair for some of them) if they wear pants/shorts or cut their hair. I hope it is a step to questioning other things about the strict doctrine they were brought up in and if it starts with clothing changes, so be it. I just hope it doesn't stop with clothing. And it may take many years for these kids born into a cult to break free. Just look at the author of Heresy in the Heartland blog*. It has taken years for her to break free from Gothard and she still struggles with breaking some of the rules. She has been breaking many of the barriers faster in the last couple years but with time has come confidence.

As for the style of shorts, they look like golf shorts (as others have said). For growing up in a below the knee society going to 6 or 8 inch pair of shorts would be huge jump verses a Bermuda length.

*http://heresyintheheartland.blogspot.com/

16 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I'm with @VelociRapture with the Magic shorts. Anyone who has been marginalized, discriminated against, or bullied because of the simple right to choose justly would consider the shorts discussion as trivial. 

As some who went to an ultra conservative bible college, who has since seen a lot of classmates leave the church (either fully, and became agnostic/atheist/both or partially, and moved to a much less ridiculous denomination) I'd say you were wrong.  It's a pretty big deal to make a fashion choice your parents never let you make.  Just like it's a big deal to eat in a restaurant  that has a bar.  Just like it's a big deal to dance for the first time.  Just like it's a big deal to  see your first pg-13 (or *gasp* even rated R) movie, to play cards, to listen to even christian rock...  It's not a sign that your beliefs are changing, for sure, but it IS a sign that you've finally figured out that you have your own mind and are able to use it.

This is not  a knock on anyone who likes Jinger's shorts and shirt, but every time I see that photo, it reminds me of the exact style of outfits my grandmother used to wear when I would go on summer vacations with my grandparents. I can't unsee it now. 

I've long thought that the only reason the Duggars (and, to some extent, the Bateses) are still skirts-only is the fact that they were so vocal and made such a big deal about it on their TV show. If they started wearing pants now (those still under JB's/Gil's headship), they would actually have to publically admit that they changed their beliefs on something they made into such a religious issue. I think if either family were not n the public eye, they would have been fine with girls wearing pants for years, as most of their peers do it these days.

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Are Bermuda shorts a trend for young women in other parts of the country?

My wife exclusively wears Bermuda shorts, as do most of our lesbian friends. I also see them on bigger women to help prevent thighs from chaffing. I'm curious to know what area of the country you live in. 

14 minutes ago, Jillian said:

As some who went to an ultra conservative bible college, who has since seen a lot of classmates leave the church (either fully, and became agnostic/atheist/both or partially, and moved to a much less ridiculous denomination) I'd say you were wrong.  It's a pretty big deal to make a fashion choice your parents never let you make.  Just like it's a big deal to eat in a restaurant  that has a bar.  Just like it's a big deal to dance for the first time.  Just like it's a big deal to  see your first pg-13 (or *gasp* even rated R) movie, to play cards, to listen to even christian rock...  It's not a sign that your beliefs are changing, for sure, but it IS a sign that you've finally figured out that you have your own mind and are able to use it.

I would agree with you if she didn't do it after she were married. There is no reason for me to believe she did it other than Jeremy doesn't mind women who wear long shorts. I am sure if he was against women wearing shorts, she would be in a skirt. She isn't becoming her own person, she is becoming what Jeremy wants her to be. She is doing what jeremy allows and that is masking as her own decision.

When Jinger is taking a real college class that isn't Bible-based with regular people,has a job outside of TLC or Jeremy's church, or is accepting gays or other religions, I will believe she is changing. Right now, she is just someone wearing shorts who wasn't allowed to do so until her headship granted her the right. I used to think the clothes thing was baby steps, and said so many times on FJ, but I just don't see it anymore. I have no doubt Jinger will wear her shorts into Jeremy's church's pregnancy crisis center and tell women abortion and birth control are wrong. She would likely spout the same fundy nonsense when it comes to gays and anything non-fundy. She isn't changing, she just got a new master with different rules she has to adhere to. 

Bermuda shorts remind me of when I was in middle school and our principal said we needed to wear long shorts because distractions to boys and wanted us to wear them. We all decided to strike and wear whatever shorts we wanted :pb_razz:.

I'm excited Jinger isn't wearing flip flops! She can take a nice stroll around the neighborhood with Jeremy in those shoes... Or walk herself over to the Registrars Office and inquire about continuing education classes. She's not leaving fundidom... But at least she can explore her interests and maybe see that there is life beyond Arkansas, the TTH, and teh baybeeees. I hope JinJer hold to the "no Duggar visitors for 6 months." They need to be newlyweds without her family butting in. 

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Are Bermuda shorts a trend for young women in other parts of the country? Because where I'm at they are only seen on much older women.

Not around here.  In my particular part of New England. I can't remember the last time I saw a woman of any age in just above the knee Bermuda shorts.

Capri pants below the knee, yes. For the over 30s.  And even the over 80s. Or those convertible cargo pants that you can roll up to Capri length.  I own the cargo pants but have never rolled them up.  I think it looks like shit on me.  I go loose hippy maxi skirt when it is really hot.

Last summer the young and nubile all seemed to be wearing really short shorts.  The ones I call hot pants but Daisy Dukes is another term for them.

27 minutes ago, unicorncastle said:

My wife exclusively wears Bermuda shorts, as do most of our lesbian friends. I also see them on bigger women to help prevent thighs from chaffing.

I have Lesbian friends too.  They seem to prefer the cargo pants to Bermuda shorts here - unless they wear skirts, as some do.  I haven't asked about chafing.

I very rarely see women in long/Bermuda shorts either. Capris seem fairly popular for women of all ages around here, though.

When I was a teen, people made such a big deal out of having sex for the first time. It was supposed to be this life shattering changing moment where my woman-ness just erupted. At least that's how they made it seem. Then I had sex and it was not earth shattering at all. I didn't feel any different at all. I realized that my parents were wrong on this so what else are they wrong about? Within 6 months, I had tried my first joint and my first sip of alcohol.

JInger realizing that Michelle was wrong about pants may or may not lead her to realize the possibility that Michelle/JB could be wrong about much more.

Unfortunately Jinger didn't just realize that her parents were wrong about pants one day. It's not like she moved out, started working, and thought, "You know what? I'm gonna try a pair of shorts!" All we know is that she was spotted on a single occasion out in public with her husband wearing knee length shorts. We have no idea if she's thinking for herself or questioning anything, or if Jeremy said, "Babe, you should try wearing shorts, I think they're perfectly modest and feminine and it's really hot outside today," and she replied, "Okay babe!"

1 hour ago, unicorncastle said:

My wife exclusively wears Bermuda shorts, as do most of our lesbian friends. I also see them on bigger women to help prevent thighs from chaffing. I'm curious to know what area of the country you live in. 

D.C. metro area. As others have said, I've seen fitted pedal pushers with heels, but not so much looser fit Bermuda shorts on young women. Bermudas on older women, especially curvier women, are definitely not a rare site in very hot weather.

(Though, I was trying to make a mental catalog and realized I am sorely lacking in lesbian friends, so ymmv.)

2 hours ago, Jillian said:

Thank you. This is the best explanation of what we are seeing in some of these folks that I have read on this board. It is a sign that they are beginning to see themselves as individuals and that they have the ability to make decisions for themselves.

I feel like people are asking a lot for Jinger to just 180 reject how she was raised and suddenly be okay with abortion or lgbtq rights. Some people jump in the pool, others go in gradually. Doesn't mean they aren't getting in. Yeah, this might be the extent of her questioning but at least this a step forward for her. 

2 hours ago, Kleine Vampirin said:

I'm more curious to know what's printed on the tracts  (if they are tracts) that they're handing out. 

You're going to hell if you are homosexual, bisexual, transsexual. Also, if you defile the marriage bed, believe in birth control, are pro choice, are an evil liberal. Come to church, we have kool aid. :D 

11 hours ago, VineHeart137 said:

Alyssa wears pants in Florida, but when her family is around or she goes to visit them, she reverts back to skirts. Not sure if that's something Kelly and Gil asked her to do or if she chooses to do it out of respect,

I believe Alyssa addressed this stating she still wears dresses/skirts at home because she wants to be respectful of her mothers convictions, even though they are not her own. Whitney has also said something to this effect when questioned as to why she will wear pants off camera but not on. 

8 minutes ago, Carm_88 said:

You're going to hell if you are homosexual, bisexual, transsexual.

This ties in with what I wanted to mention, even though this may not be the right place.  Tonight 20/20 is doing a segment on youth camps for 'gay conversion' in case anyone wants to watch.

9 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I'd be more impressed with them waiting on having that first baby, but they certainly seem happy.

They could be waiting or they could be going at it like unprotected rabbits around ovulation time and have just not gotten pregnant yet.  Who knows.  Even the most fertile couples aren't necessarily going to get pregnant within 4 months of unprotected intercourse.

25 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

This ties in with what I wanted to mention, even though this may not be the right place.  Tonight 20/20 is doing a segment on youth camps for 'gay conversion' in case anyone wants to watch.

Any connection, or just coincidence?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2017/03/09/ex-gay-therapy-leader-joseph-nicolosi-dead-at-70.html?via=desktop&source=copyurl

28 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

The episode is already on my DVR set to record. 

If this account is fake, does anyone know where this photo is from?  It's not on Jeremy's facebook or on their married website or on the duggar blog that I can find:

5 minutes ago, trustworthy said:

If this account is fake, does anyone know where this photo is from?  It's not on Jeremy's facebook or on their married website or on the duggar blog that I can find:

It looks like a screenshot from one of the episodes of their wedding rehearsal. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived