IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: She's in Shorts?!

choralcrusader8613

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. Hi! ☺

Someone asked Jinger on her twitter (@vuolo_jinger) on the 31st Jan if they were planning on waiting to have kids and she said yes we do.

Sorry I don't know how to post a screenshot yet! 

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that Jeremy likely isn't telling Jinger what to wear, exactly. However, I suspect that when he says "hey babe, you'd look hot in this" she will jump at the chance to do it unless she is wildly uncomfortable. That is probably true of a lot of things. With Jinger he has the opportunity to mold a wife to fit his requirements / interests on many levels.

That said, I do think Jinger found the right mix of familiar and (ever so minor) openness to things she found important, like fashion or at least traveling to the 'big city'. I think she very much wanted to move far enough away from the TTH that there would be no expectations for her to help or dropping in from her parents or siblings. It would have been too much to hope for her to have a secular life in the big city ... but who knows what is driving this extreme religiosity in Jeremy's life at this time. It wasn't always this way and might not stay this way forever.

5 minutes ago, Megster said:

Long time lurker coming out of the shadows. Hi! ☺

Someone asked Jinger on her twitter (@vuolo_jinger) on the 31st Jan if they were planning on waiting to have kids and she said yes we do.

Sorry I don't know how to post a screenshot yet! 

Welcome! :) Looks like a fake account (and a really creepy one... why do people do this?!) - as far as we know Jinger and Jeremy aren't on social media except for Facebook. A good way to tell if an account is real is to look and see if any of the real Duggar accounts are following it. 

3 hours ago, BlessingsVonFundiePants said:

It's definitive proof that the adult Duggar women who still wear only skirts do so because the are forced to submit the dress standards of the TTH. Being married gives you a choice but Jana is still forced to conform. Jinger has wanted to make this change for awhile but couldn't while under the headship of J-Boob. It mortifies me that these are women in their 20s who can only make choice for self-expression if it's cleared by a male authority figure. I doubt jinger would have put the shorts on if Jeremy had expressed a negative opinion about it. And I don't see Joy getting approval to wear shorts from Austin 

I don't understand how a skirt is the modest choice when one is on, say, a "survival weekend" and has to hike a leg up in order to climb over a big fallen tree blocking the path. The odds of flashing your underwear is pretty high. Yet they are forced to wear skirts and flip flops as they traipse through the woods. What's wrong with pants and appropriate footwear?

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Welcome! :) Looks like a fake account (and a really creepy one... why do people do this?!) - as far as we know Jinger and Jeremy aren't on social media except for Facebook. A good way to tell if an account is real is to look and see if any of the real Duggar accounts are following it. 

Thank you! I should have realised. I thought it was unusual for them to be so open to questions!! ☺

In one of the bates/duggar crossover shows, ( I think it might have been from United States of Bates),  they all went on some mild whitewater rafts and some of the girls, made a big point of saying they could do anything in a skirt that they could in shorts/pants.  I always thought it was dangerous to have long skirts on with that activity.  Even though the rapids were fairly mild,  having a long, full skirt in a river would be dangerous.  It would be very difficult to swim and the current of the water would tangle the skirt around your legs.  I am all for dressing modestly if that is your choice, but to wear clothing that would actually diminish your chance of survival should have fall into the water, seems like a foolhardy thing to do.

That survival weekend episode was one of the worst of the show.  Actually, I think it spanned 2 episodes.  It was truly a dud.  None of the kids could even stay sweet enough to act like they were enjoying it, not even the outdoorsy ones like JD and Joy.  And Jer and Josiah, both Alert cadets or whatever,  seemed to have no more knowledge or survival skills than any of the rest of them.    I imagine that the survival weekend idea was an attempt to make them seem more interesting, but it backfired.  Jinger was borderline obnoxious on that weekend, glued to her phone the whole time.  I think that was how she was told to play those scenes to emphasize just how over the moon and out of touch the Duggar girls are when they finally meet their prince charming/future headship. 

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:12 PM, unicorncastle said:

I was being obtuse, I know what they would normally wear. I guess I don't give Jessa credit for wearing shorts because she was wearing men's board shorts to accommodate the activity she was doing. Just like all them mentions of the snow pants and shorts while kayaking. Jessa has never worn shorts intentionally, as an outfit, for no other reason but to wear shorts.  Also, it may be common for other fundie families, it's NOT common for the Duggars. So to me, this is a pretty big deal. 

^^ This.  I'm encouraged by her breaking away from her parents' rules, even though I understand that doesn't mean she's becoming any less fundie.

1 hour ago, CatchThatCow said:

I don't understand how a skirt is the modest choice when one is on, say, a "survival weekend" and has to hike a leg up in order to climb over a big fallen tree blocking the path. The odds of flashing your underwear is pretty high. Yet they are forced to wear skirts and flip flops as they traipse through the woods. What's wrong with pants and appropriate footwear?

This is what I've never understood about the skirts for modesty thing. I rarely wear skirts or dresses, and if I do, they are close to knee length at least and usually over tights except in the middle of summer. Nobody's going to see my entire behind if I bend over on a windy day in jeans! It's one thing if they wear skirts because Jesus won't be able to tell if they're a girl without them, or something... But to me, skirts are certainly not more modest. 

I think by "modestly" what they really mean to say is "feminine." Because to me their long hair and make up and skirts is alllll about looking purty for the headships. It's ridiculous that they traipse through the woods hiking with a damn skirt and flip flops on. It's begging for lyme disease, not to mention uncomfortable and impractical. 

On 3/10/2017 at 3:43 PM, socalrules said:

I would agree with you if she didn't do it after she were married. There is no reason for me to believe she did it other than Jeremy doesn't mind women who wear long shorts. I am sure if he was against women wearing shorts, she would be in a skirt. She isn't becoming her own person, she is becoming what Jeremy wants her to be. She is doing what jeremy allows and that is masking as her own decision.

When Jinger is taking a real college class that isn't Bible-based with regular people,has a job outside of TLC or Jeremy's church, or is accepting gays or other religions, I will believe she is changing. Right now, she is just someone wearing shorts who wasn't allowed to do so until her headship granted her the right. I used to think the clothes thing was baby steps, and said so many times on FJ, but I just don't see it anymore. I have no doubt Jinger will wear her shorts into Jeremy's church's pregnancy crisis center and tell women abortion and birth control are wrong. She would likely spout the same fundy nonsense when it comes to gays and anything non-fundy. She isn't changing, she just got a new master with different rules she has to adhere to. 

Like I said, it's not a sign of changing your beliefs...but it is a sign of thinking for yourself....  I can't think of an example of a woman from college who made that type of decision before marriage.  The ridiculously short dating (ok, most of my classmates did not date, "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", or something like that, was all the rage, so, I guess it was courting, as opposed to dating) period, and considerably shorter engagement thing is very much the norm for the bible college I went to.  Girl's assuming they will never meet a husband if it didn't happen in college are also the norm.  It's all sorts of messed up...but, by far, doing something your parents would have never allowed is a huge huge step for the vast majority of girls raised this way.  It very well might be the only step they ever take, but that does not mean it wasn't a step, and it doesn't mean that it wasn't a huge deal either.  

On 3/10/2017 at 4:46 PM, Kelsey said:

When I was a teen, people made such a big deal out of having sex for the first time. It was supposed to be this life shattering changing moment where my woman-ness just erupted. At least that's how they made it seem. Then I had sex and it was not earth shattering at all. I didn't feel any different at all. I realized that my parents were wrong on this so what else are they wrong about? Within 6 months, I had tried my first joint and my first sip of alcohol.

JInger realizing that Michelle was wrong about pants may or may not lead her to realize the possibility that Michelle/JB could be wrong about much more.

It's a ridiculous disservice to girls that we teach them that sex changes them, that their virginity is something can lose, or give away.  That it is this precious gift that you need to protect, and that you are supposedly damaged if you do have sex.  It's so not ok.  

4 minutes ago, Jillian said:

It's a ridiculous disservice to girls that we teach them that sex changes them, that their virginity is something can lose, or give away.  That it is this precious gift that you need to protect, and that you are supposedly damaged if you do have sex.  It's so not ok.  

My public high school taught that crap about sex. And on the flip side, there's a stigma if you don't "lose your virginity" by a certain age. 

I think the shorts mean a lot.  For centuries women have been oppressed by clothing restrictions, and every extreme fundamentalist group restricts women in horrible clothing (Christian, Muslim, Jewish ...).  What the Duggar restrictions on clothing do is limit physical activity.  These girls are NEVER seen doing real cardio exercise.  They can't put on running shoes and spandex and run like the wind and train for a marathon.  They can't speed like a rocket on a racing bike.  They can't do real hikes or rock climb or say, "I have dominion over my body.  I can do and be anything. There are no limits." They were never allowed to watch the Olympics because of all that defrauding athleticwear and learn that there are no limits to what we can achieve.  Women in the 1800s weren't allowed to do physical activity because it (like education) was thought to harm their uteruses.  In the 1970s the first women marathoners were mocked and catcalled and scoffed at -- "They'll faint!  They'll never make it!" Mean hateful things were done to them.  You simply can't move in those denim skirts and it's on purpose -- to keep them at home basically.  I love that Whitney runs.  I love that Dakota Paine is training for a half marathon.  I love to run and speed on a bike and no one can stop me.  Jinger wearing shorts is one step of freedom of movement.  It matters.  I suspect she's wanted to for a long time and when there was no resistance to it from Jeremy she went for it.  He's simply used to seeing women in pants and shorts and sleeveless and probably thinks it's stupid not to dress in what he grew up seeing as normal.  If she didn't want to he wouldn't have forced her, but I think she was chomping at the bit to do so.  You go Jinge!

6 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

My public high school taught that crap about sex. And on the flip side, there's a stigma if you don't "lose your virginity" by a certain age. 

same where I'm from, I am a disappointment because I am 26 and single. Shorts had to have a 7 inch inseam, skirts had to be fingertip length and you couldn't show your collarbone.  We actually begged for uniforms.

22 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

same where I'm from, I am a disappointment because I am 26 and single. Shorts had to have a 7 inch inseam, skirts had to be fingertip length and you couldn't show your collarbone.  We actually begged for uniforms.

It's still like that here. I've had to take changes of clothing to my girls already because something was too short. And leggings. Not allowed to wear them either unless the shirt is super long with it. 

Just now, fluffernutter said:

It's still like that here. I've had to take changes of clothing to my girls already because something was too short. And leggings. Not allowed to wear them either unless the shirt is super long with it. 

I hope they don't have to go back in the heat of july! I wish I had advice but I just suffered through jeans. :( 

2 hours ago, Feminist_Defrauder91 said:

^^ This.  I'm encouraged by her breaking away from her parents' rules, even though I understand that doesn't mean she's becoming any less fundie.

It also sends signals to the other children. Jinger can wear shorts and not go to hell. That has got to have them questioning why they are held to different standards. 

40 minutes ago, Snarkle Motion said:

It also sends signals to the other children. Jinger can wear shorts and not go to hell. That has got to have them questioning why they are held to different standards. 

that or they know once married things change and they have to accept it 

23 hours ago, grandmadugger said:

I don't wear shorts I didn't get her legs.  She had great legs even when she died at 98.

I was starting to think I was alone.  I never wear shorts, it's not that I don't like my legs, I just find them exceedingly uncomfortable...anything that ends before my knees bugs me, it's one of my many sensory issues.  I don't even own a pair, the last time I wore any was when my mom forced me to do 2 shorts outfits for senior pictures...last time before that was probably 4th grade, of my 4 kids, only 1 will wear shorts and I've only seen DH in shorts once, he also owns none, and hasn't since jr. high.  

2 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

I didn't get sex ed.  At all.  But, 2 classes below ares was the first graduating class that had to take health, with a quarter of sex ed, to graduate.  They did the fun demonstration where you go around "hooking up with" various class mates, and every time you do you have to crumple the pristine white paper in your hands.  To show you that you can never be returned to that pristine condition again once you have had sex.  

14 hours ago, Four is Enough said:

I think the PDAs were scripted for the show. The only one not in on it was the chef.

Thats the feeling I got when I watched it. I thought they were told to overplay it and the chef was supposed to make a big deal about it. Maybe not but the whole scene did feel scripted and unnatural. Plus the whole courtship and engagement TLC has been trying to show Jinjer in a handsy all over each other way. I don't doubt that they are all over each other but TLC exaggerates what they want. 

6 hours ago, singsingsing said:

No, it's not. Definitive proof would be one of the girls or their parents stating outright that they are forced to wear skirts. 

That won't happen. They want people to believe that there is some freedom of choice, like with the courtship rules. Michelle always tried to make it sound like the girls choose to dress "modestly" which is a bunch of BS. 

5 hours ago, calimojo said:

I think it is also safe to assume that Jinger has more of an interest in clothing and fashion that her sisters have. 

Yes, I think Jeremy buys into patriarchy.  But I think it will play out differently than in micromanaging how his wife dresses.  Now,  if Jinger showed up in a strapless dress mini dress and 'hooker' heels,  he might object, but I think overall he is not telling her specifically what to wear. 

I think he is probably telling her how to structure her time,  What he expects of her as a preacher's wife, and possibly she has to run household decisions past him. 

One other thought,  I never really thought the crazy dresses and adherence to only wearing skirts was necessarily a JB thing.  I think Michelle was the stricter one about that.  I think if Michelle had been fine with the girls wearing slacks,  I doubt that JB would have refused that.  And it is obvious that both of them have loosened up on the dress code, because at first the boys all wore pressed Khakis and collared shirts.  The girls wore the loose little house on the prairie dresses.  Then the boys got wayyyyy more casual. 

I also think the purpose of the dress code is very different now from what it was then.  In the beginning,  the Duggars were very holier than thou.  They wanted to underscore just how different they were from the heathens and how their lifestyle was superior. 

The only way for the show to survive is to make them  relatable.  The Freakshow, now that we know about Josh,  is too uncomfortable.  So make them seem like any other family except in size and downplay some of the oddball religious stuff and patriarchy.  They could do a better and more daring show by showing the truth,  but we all know that won't happen. 

(Deleted parts of the post for space reasons, the whole post is good though!)

I also think Jinger care more about fashion than her sisters. She always seemed to be way more into shopping when they'd go too. So its no surprise that she would immediately try new styles now that she was allowed to. Jill and Jessa seem to be content with their style and don't care enough to experiment with anything new or different. Though their headships depending on JB may be part of that, who knows. I always thought the modesty thing was more Michelle too. I'm sure JB cares that certain things are covered but thats about it. I think the loosening up on the dress code (shorter skirts, tighter fitting clothes, lower necklines, shorter sleeves) have to do with that as well. Their whole point in being on TV (besides kickbacks) is to showcase their lifestyle and essentially gain followers. People aren't going to relate to them and think about adapting that lifestyle if they look too weird. They used to look like freaking FLDS polygamists with those prairie dresses and hair styles. Now they look more like mainstream christians and are going to be more relatable to more people. Perhaps also..if Michelle was holding the cards for the whole dress code thing, they found there is more wiggle room now since she is so out of it her head is basically in another universe.

Jeremy is definitely controlling but like you said I think its more with tasks and time structure, and also money, more than telling her what to look like.   

4 hours ago, CatchThatCow said:

2 hours ago, trustworthy said:

I think the shorts mean a lot.  For centuries women have been oppressed by clothing restrictions, and every extreme fundamentalist group restricts women in horrible clothing (Christian, Muslim, Jewish ...).  What the Duggar restrictions on clothing do is limit physical activity.  

^^yes both of these.  I always thought the same! How is a skirt more modest when it can just blow right up? For them its not so much about being modest but about the distinction of looking feminine and the clothes thus restricting them to "feminine activities" And that right there is the problem I have with the skirt wearing. It goes a lot deeper than just looking feminine and enforces gender roles.

21 minutes ago, Jillian said:

They did the fun demonstration where you go around "hooking up with" various class mates, and every time you do you have to crumple the pristine white paper in your hands.  To show you that you can never be returned to that pristine condition again once you have had sex.  

That about made me vomit.

5 minutes ago, Jillian said:

I was starting to think I was alone.  I never wear shorts, it's not that I don't like my legs, I just find them exceedingly uncomfortable...anything that ends before my knees bugs me, it's one of my many sensory issues.  I don't even own a pair, the last time I wore any was when my mom forced me to do 2 shorts outfits for senior pictures...last time before that was probably 4th grade, of my 4 kids, only 1 will wear shorts and I've only seen DH in shorts once, he also owns none, and hasn't since jr. high.  

I own two pairs one to sleep in and one for those rare days that it's 300 outside and I must leave the house.  I've worn them so little that this summer when I did wear them my step son asked if I was ill.  He was sure he had never seen me in anything shorter than capris in the 12 years his dad and I have been married.  

2 hours ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

The skirt thing sounds familiar but the rest of that is a bit much.

I'm 27 and single as fuck. Whoo.

40 minutes ago, Jillian said:

I didn't get sex ed.  At all.  But, 2 classes below ares was the first graduating class that had to take health, with a quarter of sex ed, to graduate.  They did the fun demonstration where you go around "hooking up with" various class mates, and every time you do you have to crumple the pristine white paper in your hands.  To show you that you can never be returned to that pristine condition again once you have had sex.  

Ugh. In middle school they did the "if you have sex you are like a used stick of gum" thing. And had multiple people chew the same piece of gum to show when you have sex with someone, you are having sex with everyone they ever had sex with. I also remember a similar demonstration where everyone had a beaker of water, a couple kids had dye in theirs. Then they had us go around giving drops of water to each other (without telling us why) to show how STIs spread. At the end it was like, "see, everyone has dye in their beaker! All of you will die because of sex!" I also remember the teacher giggling like an asshole when two boys exchanged water.

I'm tempted to ask relatives who go to the same school I went to if sex ed is still fucked up.

I think non of married couples are going to really break away from fundamentalism. But my hope is that every generation is going to break another rule and in the end they will just be very conservative. 

If you look from a black and white perspective it doesn't matter if she wears shorts. But it also doesn't matter if she would go and get more education  because it would be because he would be ok with it. As long as he has to  give permission there is no real step away.

They can be pro choice/gay/bikinis all they want as long as they live this kind of submission and/or don't believe in gender equality because Jesus, none of them is free from fundamentalism. (This goes the other way round. I think people can be anti gay/bc/... but have a totally equal relationships and are not fundamental.)

I hope that the current generation starts to do things differently than their parents. It might start with pants, alcohol, dancing, music, tv and hopefully the next generation will take the next step. I would prefer if they would start having sex just because they feel like it and not because it is the best time to get pregnant. I really hope that this happens and we will see smaller "mega-families" along the line (6-8). Less children can mean more attentive parenting and less poverty and better education which can lead to even more relaxing.

I am aware that there is a lot if and hope in there. And please notice I talk generalised about the whole group of Gothardite-Quiverfull-Fundies in my last paragraph. This doesn't mean I don't hope for the single individual that they break free but at this point I fear those will be only single actions.

Under this premise I do see Jinger, Alyssa and Whitney wearing pants, Chad doing "women's work", Ben (and Jessa) listening to rap and talking about rascism, Zach and Whitny supposedly watching R-rated movies as the first signs that the new generation in the Duggar-Bates-Universe are doing things differently. And I hope this happens in the other families in their circle too. It is just easier to see with the Duggar's/Bate's because they have been so vocal about all their convictions (that are magically the same for all) and portray them for a wide audience.

13 hours ago, Tangy Bee said:

Yes, all the Duggar kids play the violin and piano as well. Wow, check out those outfits and heels!

Lol that pic shocked me. Are they DANCING?! Lol 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived