IGNORED

Jinger and Jeremy: She's in Shorts?!

choralcrusader8613

9 minutes ago, trustworthy said:

If this account is fake, does anyone know where this photo is from?  It's not on Jeremy's facebook or on their married website or on the duggar blog that I can find:

That might have been taken from the episode with the wedding rehearsal... When the Seewalds and the Dillards were giving their speeches. I remember noticing they weren't sitting in the front.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, unicorncastle said:

My wife exclusively wears Bermuda shorts, as do most of our lesbian friends. I also see them on bigger women to help prevent thighs from chaffing. I'm curious to know what area of the country you live in. 

I have yet to find a pair of shorts less than Bermuda-length that don't ride up in the middle, and I'm only 140 lbs at 5'3". :( I've seen much larger women wear short shorts comfortably, so I don't know why mine do that.

I'm a total weirdo but has anyone else noticed the bug at minute 1.34-1.36 on the lower right on the countertop? UGH! 

35 minutes ago, Stormy said:

I have yet to find a pair of shorts less than Bermuda-length that don't ride up in the middle, and I'm only 140 lbs at 5'3". :( I've seen much larger women wear short shorts comfortably, so I don't know why mine do that.

Omg, SAME. I'm 143 lbs and 5'3" with the exact same issue. Let's make a pact that if one of us ever finds a pair of magical comfy shorts that we'll come here and tell the other where to get them??? Lol! It is SO annoying. 

17 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

the way jeremy was stuck on the shorts the first time he saw jinger in them (when they were in the canoes or whatever), he said it was good to see her in them. it was then i knew it wouldn't take long for her to be seen in pants. she'll be like alyssa bates, IMO. infact, it's taken less time for jinger to be seen in pants than it did for alyssa. apparently both couldn't wait to say 'i do' and put on some pants.

i've said this before, and i'll repeat it again: if the skirt wearing fundies were ok with pants wearing for no reason, there would be more pants wearing in these families. i'm talking about the duggars and bates here. if they were fine with their kids wearing pants and shorts and sleeveless tops, they'd be allowed to do it before marriage... but they aren't, so they don't.

taking it for what it is - a nice change in wardrobe.

I knew it too when he said that when they were canoeing. Same goes with their rigid side hugging courtship rules. They don't get a choice at all. It's the parents waaaay or the highway. 

4 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

This is not  a knock on anyone who likes Jinger's shorts and shirt, but every time I see that photo, it reminds me of the exact style of outfits my grandmother used to wear when I would go on summer vacations with my grandparents. I can't unsee it now. 

It kinda is a knock, some people have really thin legs and the only shorts that are becoming are the bermuda shorts. I have to wonder if she would have gotten less snark if she wore capris. I am beginning to think nothing would be good enough unless she wore Daisy Dukes. 

1 hour ago, Pretzel said:

I'm a total weirdo but has anyone else noticed the bug at minute 1.34-1.36 on the lower right on the countertop? UGH! 

Jeremy is just so ditzy. He doesn't know how to use tongs to flip something over on the grill? I bet he can't fix any house stuff either. He seems so freaking helpless and clueless. Seriously I'd like to see him trying to change a lightbulb, LOL…then he says "I'm surprised how easy this was to pull together" yeah because that professional chef did all the work! 

And the way he is so overboard and in your face with the PDA and sex talk seems like somebody trying to convince everyone and also themselves of their attraction. Just the vibe I get. 

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Are Bermuda shorts a trend for young women in other parts of the country? Because where I'm at they are only seen on much older women.

I am guessing that if people from FJ saw me in person, they would think I am a mormon or something....ha! I wear denim shorts that aren't very far above my knee at all. I am not young, though, at 35 years old. But I have been wearing this length since I was maybe mid-20's. I have never cared to be trendy though. I like to be comfortable and that's what I prefer with denim. I do have some linen shorts that are shorter but I only wear them when it gets super hot out. I'm sure the public thanks me for not wearing short shorts often since I am pasty white with cellulite and spider veins. :)

I do admit that I look a big Duggar-y when I wear a just above the knee denim skirt with a t-shirt and Converse. But again...it's a comfort thing. Not a fashion thing.

I live in Nebraska and I've never really felt out of place with how I dress. Then again...I don't really pay tons of attention to what others are wearing.

2 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I am guessing that if people from FJ saw me in person, they would think I am a mormon or something....ha! I wear denim shorts that aren't very far above my knee at all. I am not young, though, at 35 years old. But I have been wearing this length since I was maybe mid-20's. I have never cared to be trendy though. I like to be comfortable and that's what I prefer with denim. I do have some linen shorts that are shorter but I only wear them when it gets super hot out. I'm sure the public thanks me for not wearing short shorts often since I am pasty white with cellulite and spider veins. :)

I do admit that I look a big Duggar-y when I wear a just above the knee denim skirt with a t-shirt and Converse. But again...it's a comfort thing. Not a fashion thing.

I was going to say I wear those type of shorts and I AM young at 31 ;) or I'm just in denial. Definitely comfort here, I have kids and it's just not fun to have little hands grabbing at short shorts! 

Side note- best screen name ever! Now I want to make a soufflé. 

7 hours ago, Icea said:

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Anyway, my views on the whole shorts thing is that it is positive. It's no indication of said woman having changed her world view or branching out, but it could mean a huge difference for the next generation of girls growing up in this culture. The way I see it, it's one less thing to feel ashamed of, one less thing to feel guilty about. If the next generation can grow up without having to feel sexualized for wearing pants/shorts or shamed into thinking it's immodest, hey that's great in my view. It's especially important that Alyssa Webster and Whitney Bates, who actually have daughters, shows that it is ok.

Knowing fundies though, I wouldn't be surprised if they did a full 180 on pants in a few years and declare them completely off the table and make the women who had started wearing them believe they were harlots for wearing them, complete with testimonies from said women declaring how wrong they were to ever wear pants...

Welcome! :my_smile:

I agree. I see of it as more of a branch and nothing will probably come of it. I'm aware it might be Jeremy's idea/desire. I'm mostly happy because it's different. I don't expect Jinger to change her views or to deviate from the program. It's just a small bite of individuality(again you could argue it's Jeremy, but not strictly Duggar is my point). I won't be excited for it unless it's like Anna's little sister amount of change.

I've never been excited by their media silence. After all JB and Michelle only stopped watching tv because it got in the way of their sweet fellowship marriage.

2 hours ago, Pretzel said:

What's more weird to me is the chef had lunch with them ...maybe it's just my strangeness, but I definitely kept expecting her to get up and leave them alone...

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

the way he is so overboard and in your face with the PDA and sex talk

This probably where he and Boob really bond. Blech. 

13 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I wonder how long she's been wearing shorts? Personally, I would find it odd IF this was her first time (or close to it) and IF they are in what some might consider a work related event, and THIS is the time she decided to break out the shorts...I'm thinking she's hanging out in athletic wear at home. 

I'd be more impressed with them waiting on having that first baby, but they certainly seem happy.

Go Jinger!

Every day we don't have a pregnancy announcement is a little win in my book.  I'm sure when their six months alone restriction is lifted she'll be hounded by family, maybe littles sent to listen to see if they are doing the deed.

7 hours ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

This is not  a knock on anyone who likes Jinger's shorts and shirt, but every time I see that photo, it reminds me of the exact style of outfits my grandmother used to wear when I would go on summer vacations with my grandparents. I can't unsee it now. 

Great now I'm not going to be able to unsee it. :laughing-rollingyellow:  My grandma wore shorts like this too.  I don't wear shorts I didn't get her legs.  She had great legs even when she died at 98.

2 hours ago, VeganCupcake said:

Jeremy is just so ditzy. He doesn't know how to use tongs to flip something over on the grill? I bet he can't fix any house stuff either. He seems so freaking helpless and clueless. Seriously I'd like to see him trying to change a lightbulb, LOL…then he says "I'm surprised how easy this was to pull together" yeah because that professional chef did all the work! 

And the way he is so overboard and in your face with the PDA and sex talk seems like somebody trying to convince everyone and also themselves of their attraction. Just the vibe I get. 

Not all guys can fix things around the house.  It might be why he got an apartment, no need to fix anything.  Just like all women can't sew.  It doesn't mean the person is ditzy or dumb it just means they don't have those skills.  

10 minutes ago, grandmadugger said:

Every day we don't have a pregnancy announcement is a little win in my book.  I'm sure when their six months alone restriction is lifted she'll be hounded by family, maybe littles sent to listen to see if they are doing the deed.

Great now I'm not going to be able to unsee it. :laughing-rollingyellow:  My grandma wore shorts like this too.  I don't wear shorts I didn't get her legs.  She had great legs even when she died at 98.

Not all guys can fix things around the house.  It might be why he got an apartment, no need to fix anything.  Just like all women can't sew.  It doesn't mean the person is ditzy or dumb it just means they don't have those skills.  

Yeah, my grandma is a very petite woman. Small hands and feet. She had size 4-5 shoes, which meant either shopping in the kids aisle or ordering her shoes specialty made. However, she was born in the 1920s and always grew up wearing dresses. I think this was as scandalous as she would go when it came to shorts.

2 minutes ago, CreationMuseumSeasonPass said:

Yeah, my grandma is a very petite woman. Small hands and feet. She had size 4-5 shoes, which meant either shopping in the kids aisle or ordering her shoes specialty made. However, she was born in the 1920s and always grew up wearing dresses. I think this was as scandalous as she would go when it came to shorts.

My grandma was born in 1911 and I've seen pictures of her in dresses but she was a big fan of pants and shorts.  I can only think of one skirt she had in her closest and I honestly don't remember ever seeing it on her.  She lived with me/my parents my whole life until she passed.

9 hours ago, Jillian said:

As some who went to an ultra conservative bible college, who has since seen a lot of classmates leave the church (either fully, and became agnostic/atheist/both or partially, and moved to a much less ridiculous denomination) I'd say you were wrong.  It's a pretty big deal to make a fashion choice your parents never let you make.  Just like it's a big deal to eat in a restaurant  that has a bar.  Just like it's a big deal to dance for the first time.  Just like it's a big deal to  see your first pg-13 (or *gasp* even rated R) movie, to play cards, to listen to even christian rock...  It's not a sign that your beliefs are changing, for sure, but it IS a sign that you've finally figured out that you have your own mind and are able to use it.

Absolutely. This is why I get a little frustrated when these discussions come up and people insist that it means nothing when a fundie girl who used to only wear skirts starts to make different fashion choices. It doesn't mean she's no longer fundie, but it is significant.

2 hours ago, Kak said:

But the thing is, her daddy didn't allow her, and her husband does. :my_confused:

It depends if he doesn't care and thinks it's up to her or if he measured the length and gave her permission (barf). First is gaining freedom to make choices, second is same shit, different pile as Jim Bob.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:23 PM, karen77 said:

True, but  I think that was for her modest "swimming suit" 

yes thats what I think. I thought we've seen the other girls in shorts/pants for some activities...unless I'm dreaming, though they do some pretty ridiculous stuff in a skirt. I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've seen a Duggar girl in shorts casually. Isn't the whole thing with the skirts about keeping femininity distinguished between the guys and girls or some crap? Its nice to see a duggar giving that the finger. I also liked that she was wearing that sleeveless dress. They do wear some pretty short sleeves but I thought they were supposed to have the shoulders covered so no sleeveless? 

On 3/9/2017 at 9:08 PM, eandre31 said:

I agree with many posters that this doesn't prove that jinger is going "fundie-lite" or becoming a feminist.

However, I do like the fact that her wearing shorts casually in public (and not for swimming or water sports) proves that the Duggar "modesty standards" are NOT a "personal conviction made by each daughter". This proves that the modesty standards are not every Duggar girl's personal choice, but one mandated by Jim Bob and Michelle

This. Same thing about the "each couple makes their own courtship/engagement standards" crap

6 minutes ago, GoatZombie said:

This. Same thing about the "each couple makes their own courtship/engagement standards" crap

The Duggars can't keep up with their lies. Michelle stated in an early episode that Josh & Anna asked their parents' permission to hold hands. 

20 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

Actually, she didn't.  She married a non-denominational reformed leaning preacher.  There are going to be differences.  There are degrees in my mind of fundyism and Jeremy's is steps to the left of Jim Bob who is over on the extreme right with IFB/ATI/quiverful. 

This.  However, like the IFB (not all of them are Gothardite or Quiverfull), the non-denominational reformed leaning churches also run the gamut.  What they preach depends on the presiding pastor's beliefs and in Jeremy's case, as a church planter, his sending church.  

Some of the non-denominational reformed churches are extremely Fundie and Patriarchal - in the sense that we use it here.  See Doug Wilson and the disgraced Sproul, Jr.  Most of the Reform Reconstructionalists are just as evil (in my opinion) as Gothard , it's just that the rules are a bit different.  They allow dancing and alcohol, but still preach submission.

As non-denominational reformed, Jeremy is a step or two to the left of Duggar rules.  He has already stated that he has no problem with women wearing pants, and no problem with alcohol in moderation.  So Jinger is now happily wearing shorts.  She may even have had a glass of wine by now and may soon be spotted Scottish Country dancing for all we know.

However, Jinger has been raised to submit to her husband and is praised for her meek nature and for being a follower.  

A far better predictor than shorts of Jinger's future movement away from IBLP and hateful Fundie beliefs would be to look at dear Jeremy's sermons.  Let's see.  He is still trying to get people to pray away the gay.  He is still rabidly anti-choice.  I don't see anything that says he is pro-BC, but time will tell if they decide to limit their family.  If he preaches on marriage will he preach submission or complementarianism?  I won't be doing happy claps for the latter, it is just a prettier word for submission.  I'll be overjoyed if he preaches egalitarian marriage, but I am not optimistic.

@Snarkle Motion, Where did anyone say they expected Jinger to do a 180 in short order?  I think the people least excited about the shorts are among those who know best how hard it is for people to work their way out of Fundamentalist and cult thinking.

This makes me cautiously optimistic. Even if Jeremy did "allow" something that JB didn't then the fact is that the message is being conveyed to Jinger that some things she might want to do are actually ok and not a ticket to damnation. It isn't great if she still feels Jeremy needs to give "permission" but if Jeremy agrees that shorts are ok then it is a step for Jinger in the path to believing in her own judgment.  Many people still need  the "approval" of others while they gain confidence.  This may not be a massive leap forward but it is a step. 

I wear knee length shorts quite a bit when it is warm weather in England (so about twice a year!) or when I am on holiday. I'm 44 and although I am still slim (110 lbs and 5'4") I feel comfortable being a bit more covered these days. Just personal preference! 

I think the PDAs were scripted for the show. The only one not in on it was the chef.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived