IGNORED

Another Duggar Courtship: Joseph and Kendra

front hugs > duggs

3 hours ago, Pasta said:

You all are lucky. I'm under 5 feet. 

I'm 5 feet.  Just 5.  On a good day that is.  Bad days I feel shorter. My daughter at 13 is taller and still growing.  She shares non of my direct DNA code, so tat is not surprising. Mr. One Kid's cousin is 6'' 7'.  His seven year old is going to be tall than I am by the time he is eight.

5 hours ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

Its so weird to think that someone born in 1998, ten years after me, will (very likely) have a couple of children before I have just one.  I have vivid memories of  the year Kendra was born, including watching VHI in the morning before school in 5th grade, and seeing the "Real World" (Matchbox 20) music video come on while I was eating my cereal. Its weird to think someone who was an infant in 1998 is going to be procreating in 2017/2018. 

You know how they play music for the residents of nursing homes? Music of their youth.  I'm thinking when I'm really old and if I'm in one of these places they will be playing the Talking Heads and Dire Straights for us. Psycho Killer and Brothers in Arms.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Bethella said:

The Caldwells got married in January 1998, so I'm thinking she graduated in 1997, didn't graduate or was home schooled.

Where did you find this out? How old are Kendra's parents?

12 hours ago, jakesykora said:

And Jinger also mentioned it. I think it was either at the dress trying on time or the sisters sort of private shower/reflection time.  She even made a crack about a lock on the guest room door.

She actually possibly referenced another time with Jer (maybe that was really the episode prior when they were showing her move in after the drive down?)

One reference surprised me (in a good way) but I half-wondered if it was really only in jest. The repeated references and then Jessa also saying something made me realize it seemed like they were truly serious about not wanting company so they could begin their lives as a couple only. 

(Also gave me some hope they didn't intend to start a family and begin adding others into the mix in that way very early on either...)

It was during that reflection time. She was dead serious. It was funny because she was emotional about missing people but she said at least 3 times that she didn't want anyone there for 6 months. Someone was ready to get the hell out TTH. Can't blame her. 

6 minutes ago, Letizia said:

It was during that reflection time. She was dead serious. It was funny because she was emotional about missing people but she said at least 3 times that she didn't want anyone there for 6 months. Someone was ready to get the hell out TTH. Can't blame her. 

Did you catch the look on Jessa's face when Jinger said after 6 months? She shot her the dirtiest eye roll face. I thought it was hilarious that Jinger was being dead ass serious. 

Just now, snickers34 said:

Well found this - married in 1998: https://www.facebook.com/paul.caldwell.161

Not immediately finding their ages...

Yep, that's where I got it. Someone else had done some digging and found that Paul is 39 and Christina is 37.

1 minute ago, Bethella said:

Christina is 37.

37!! Jeebus! I'm 35 and still getting my shit together. I can't commit to a second dog, let alone 47 kids with one close to engagement.

1 hour ago, Million Children For Jesus said:

Depends on where you live. In Los Angeles, I see tall women with short men every single day. If you look at celebrities, you see it a lot. I think very successful and/or confident short men love tall women, and confident tall women go after who they want regardless of height. Nicole Kidman, Gigi Hadid, Cameron Diaz are examples of tall women with short partners. When you're on top in business or a public figure, it's more important to find someone like minded than similar sized. You probably would have had the short guys lining up for you in L.A. 

I'm sure. But LA is like a world if it's own. The majority of the rest of the country is not that way. Which is both good and bad, lol.

17 hours ago, Phoenix said:

After watching the TLC announcement video I just groaned. Kendra is a fan girl! She is so, so, so young! A person has to be super young to say something like, looking forward to everyone knowing they are courting. She is also looking forward to the phone calls and texting. It only highlights how incredibly sheltered her young life has been. 

I am wondering, will she be getting her first cell phone now that she is courting? Sorry to use one of Trump's hyper-overexposed words, but that idea is honestly sad. 

As other posters noted the poor girl looked like a deer in headlights. I know she was supposed to be looking at Joe with adoration but it simply came across as lost and a bit wary. Kendra does have a nice smile.

I have a sinking feeling that Jessa could eat her alive in less than five minutes. Wanted to bang my head into a wall when Joe essentially said, well we have the same beliefs, so we should get married. If the FJ analysis of roughly three months for Duggar courtships holds steady the promise ring while sweet is kind of silly. Wow, Joe might have to forsake all others for an entire financial quarter! 

I agree, Kendra sounds extremely young and sheltered. She may be mature in all the "skills" these people deem that a wife should have, and I do think Joe is more laid-back and contemplative than some of his bros so I could see her as a bubbly but reserved personality that would suit him, but she's just so deer-in-the-headlights! In the video it does look kind of like Kendra is hiding behind Joe, which I'd hope is just a camera-shy thing but that's wishful thinking.

Also, she has a private instagram, so she must have a cell phone.

Jessa would totally eat her alive lmao that's hilarious. Jessa is one of the most headstrong Duggars though, she'd probably eat any of them alive except maybe Jana and Jill (only 'cause they've been sister-mom-ing for so long). 

Both Ben and Derick gave their respective Duggars a necklace while courting (Jess wore hers on her wedding day, and I know we saw Derick give Jill hers in Nepal). Joy also has a texas-shaped necklace what may have been from Austin. So Joe giving his girl a token of courtship wouldn't be that much different, only in ring-form. 

10 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

How old is Christina's youngest kid, does anyone know?

I'm not sure. When I last looked at their Facebook and it wasn't locked up right, there were a few pictures and the youngest looked toddler age. So my guess is maybe 2? Or 3 at the most. 

On the facebook page it says they officially became a couple on November 1st 1994, does this mean they dated before marriage?

7 minutes ago, Englandgirl2491 said:

On the facebook page it says they officially became a couple on November 1st 1994, does this mean they dated before marriage?

probably, considering they'd have been, what, 14 and 16? I'm sure if they were high school sweeties and got married right after she finished, that'd make sense. plently of non-fundies do that lol. 

2 hours ago, QuiverFullofBooks said:

Duggar Family Official FB has a new congratulations video up from Michelle and Jana. Michelle of course says that Kendra is sweet. Jana's contribution is "Congratulations, y'all. So excited for you." She doesn't look that excited.

Do we really need another "So excited for y'all" video? Someone with tech skills should edit them all together from the past few years.  It would probably come out to an hour of non-stop "So excited for y'all" from various siblings and young marrieds.  Every single video is the same, except every six months there's a new baby on a lap. TLC needs to sit down with them and give them a choice of five alternative sentences they can memorize and choose from.  Even when a developer makes a neighborhood of near identical houses he changes the type of stone or brick facing on the front and occasionally flips the floor plan inside. Really, you can do this people.  You can come up with a new sentence. Make my day.

25 minutes ago, ihaveanexamintwodays said:

I agree, Kendra sounds extremely young and sheltered. She may be mature in all the "skills" these people deem that a wife should have, and I do think Joe is more laid-back and contemplative than some of his bros so I could see her as a bubbly but reserved personality that would suit him, but she's just so deer-in-the-headlights! In the video it does look kind of like Kendra is hiding behind Joe, which I'd hope is just a camera-shy thing but that's wishful thinking.

Also, she has a private instagram, so she must have a cell phone.

Jessa would totally eat her alive lmao that's hilarious. Jessa is one of the most headstrong Duggars though, she'd probably eat any of them alive except maybe Jana and Jill (only 'cause they've been sister-mom-ing for so long). 

Both Ben and Derick gave their respective Duggars a necklace while courting (Jess wore hers on her wedding day, and I know we saw Derick give Jill hers in Nepal). Joy also has a texas-shaped necklace what may have been from Austin. So Joe giving his girl a token of courtship wouldn't be that much different, only in ring-form. 

I thought the Texas necklace was from Jinger, bridesmaids gift

5 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

oh, I forgot that Jinger did necklaces as bridesmaids gifts!. I just remembered seeing Joy Anna's birthday picture with it lol.

9 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

You never know what the future could hold. Before I had my son (in my early 30's), I had no idea I would be diagnosed with an autoimmune disease that could disable me in the future. Does it suck for my son if that happens? Yeah. But we had no way to know. (And if we had, should we not have had a child??)

My mom's father died at age 61. My mom's grandma lived to be a fairly healthy 109 year old.

- snip -

Just to back up the above, @PainfullyAware, I have an autoimmune disease as well - something that *shouldn't* have even begun to affect me till late 40's, early 50's.  My husband isn't a carrier, so there was no chance of passing it on - so we went on to have our children when I was 27, and 28.  Since we figured I would be able to devote my time and energy like any other mother to my children, till they were adults, we felt comfortable with this decision.  Unfortunately last summer (when I was 30), we found out things have taken a turn for the worse (I'm not dying or anything, but need medicine), and I'm now on weekly infusion therapy. 

It sucks, but six days out of the week, I'm able to take care of my kids.  My Dad had a TBI when he was 43.  My grandma died in her 60's from a diabetic coma.  My MIL is disabled from a car accident she had when she was 51.  So unfortunately no, you never know what the future holds.  All you can do is prepare as best as you can, with the information you have now.

As for the height debate.  I'm 5'5" (and a half ;) ), and my husband is 5'9".  I don't know if it's a generational thing, or a cultural thing - but both my Mom and my MIL, refuse to date anyone less than 6 feet, which just baffles me to no end. 

32 minutes ago, BadMurphy said:

Jinger gave her maids necklaces, but they weren't Texas ones. They were little gold and black charms, and each had the bridesmaid's initial on it (lots of Js, you can imagine), along with a jar of chocolate caramels. A nice gift. So I'm not quite sure where the Texas necklace could have come from.

!'m 5'4". My SO is 5'8". I don't have to stand on tiptoe to kiss him. That's pretty nice  :blush:

Extra Jesus points for sourcing a pastors' daughter.

Joe has always struck me as having the absolute bare minimum required for a personality. He seems a little brighter in that announcement video. Maybe having some actual attention from another human being will help him come out of his shell. We will have to wait and see with Kendra but she is so, so young and child-like. She reminds me of the actress who was the bitchy teen in the jewellery store in Bridesmaids; Mia Rose Frampton.

1 hour ago, trustworthy said:

Do we really need another "So excited for y'all" video? Someone with tech skills should edit them all together from the past few years.  It would probably come out to an hour of non-stop "So excited for y'all" from various siblings and young marrieds.  Every single video is the same, except every six months there's a new baby on a lap. TLC needs to sit down with them and give them a choice of five alternative sentences they can memorize and choose from.  Even when a developer makes a neighborhood of near identical houses he changes the type of stone or brick facing on the front and occasionally flips the floor plan inside. Really, you can do this people.  You can come up with a new sentence. Make my day.

Parrots say what they have been taught to say.  Parrots don't have the ability to think of anything else. You have 19 parrots without a single brain  cell to use,

11 minutes ago, HideousGreenShirt said:

Extra Jesus points for sourcing a pastors' daughter.

Joe has always struck me as having the absolute bare minimum required for a personality.

Love this! And always thought that too. I think i have always unconsciously felt negatively towards him because of his resemblance to JB.

They are just babies. Who will soon marry and have more babies. Sigh.

9 hours ago, TeamDefraudinSquad said:

Its so weird to think that someone born in 1998, ten years after me, will (very likely) have a couple of children before I have just one.  I have vivid memories of  the year Kendra was born, including watching VHI in the morning before school in 5th grade, and seeing the "Real World" (Matchbox 20) music video come on while I was eating my cereal. Its weird to think someone who was an infant in 1998 is going to be procreating in 2017/2018. 

What is weird to me is someone born in 1998 is old enough to get married, period, my oldest was born in 1997. 

2 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

So I'm not quite sure where the Texas necklace could have come from.

I remember seeing the necklace but didn't notice at the time - was the position of the heart where Austin would be? If so, that may have been a hint. :)

4 hours ago, Bethella said:

The Caldwells got married in January 1998, so I'm thinking she graduated in 1997, didn't graduate or was home schooled.

Yeah I wasn't thinking that not every state delays like we do or they got married in high school.  There was actually a girl younger than me that graduated a year before me because she started somewhere else. I also remember the scandal when some kids got married right after both turned 18 and the school required their parents to write notes so they could go on a honeymoon. I still can't fathom getting married 9 months after I graduated high school and a kid 10 months after that.  I was in college trying to cover the smell of booze on my breath.

I've shared this before, but in my Midwest region I'm (at 30) right smack dack in the middle of the age groups for toddlers.  Either women had them a lot earlier, or mid to older thirties.  I don't know if that's a national trend, but I really haven't (personally) met too many women who had their kids in their late 20's.

After high school, I saw quite a few of my classmates get married, or engaged, and have babies.  It's quite something to see 30 year olds with teenagers (I don't mean that as a snark, just a personal comment).  Though I had three brothers who were toddlers when I was 16-18, and that was all the BC I needed to be like, "Nope - I'll wait a while." :P

Maybe they'll wait a *little* while before she's engaged/married?  One can hope . . .

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived