IGNORED

Another Duggar Courtship: Joseph and Kendra

front hugs > duggs

On 3/10/2017 at 7:07 PM, snickers34 said:

37!! Jeebus! I'm 35 and still getting my shit together. I can't commit to a second dog, let alone 47 kids with one close to engagement.

I'm going to be 34 in a few months. I don't even have that first dog :pb_lol:

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys! 

I'm new here; I purposefully made myself an account to chime in on the Marjorie Question. Sorry for the throwback. 

What I wanted to say: 

I really find that the Duggar Modesty standards are odd. Marjorie on all of her pictures is dressed in a way that would be considered modest by most churches and (my interpretation of) the Bible. She doesn't wear anything particularly low-cut, see-through, extra short, or extra tight. But she still is dressed fashionably and practically. The Duggar definition of modesty confounds me. 

On 3/11/2017 at 11:19 AM, Jaedzia said:

Since I am the type to have theirs down by New Years Eve, that thought never crossed my mind. lol. We usually have them up on December 3rd or 4th and down by the 31st. Daughter's birthday is Dec 2 so that is why after that.

Same, ours goes up day after husbands BD on Dec. 10 and usually come down Dec. 26 or latest 27th as we always leave town for New Years celebration with friends and don't want to return in the new year to Christmas decorations. 

On 2017-03-08 at 7:53 PM, Kira said:

I don't think Joe and Kendra will have a long courtship. I predict they'll be engaged by late summer or fall and married in the winter. We thought Joy would have a long courtship. I wonder if the reason Ben and Jessa had a long courtship is because it was outed too soon.

I honestly think the only reason Ben and Jessa's courtship was so long was because Ben was SOOO young.  I think he was 18 and they were waiting for him to turn 19 to get married, or some such shit.  I still don't know how he passed the 50 page test Jim Bob gave him.  He was too young to even have had a job or "flipped five houses" like Austin.

12 hours ago, montyollie said:

I honestly think the only reason Ben and Jessa's courtship was so long was because Ben was SOOO young.  I think he was 18 and they were waiting for him to turn 19 to get married, or some such shit.  I still don't know how he passed the 50 page test Jim Bob gave him.  He was too young to even have had a job or "flipped five houses" like Austin.

that was during the actual show - I doubt he had to fill out a questionnaire. His test was living with them...

which was also a plot point because he was so young. 

13 hours ago, montyollie said:

Ben had two jobs in the beginning of his courtship with Jessa. He worked for his father's window(windshield?) company and he was an insurance agent(or something like that). He worked and was taking college classes. 

The Hollywood Gossip has an article posted which asks the question, "Kendra Caldwell: Is Joseph Duggar's Girlfriend a Homophobe?" To which I respond, "Um...is the bear a Catholic? Does the Pope shit in the woods? Aren't all the Duggars and their sycophants homophobes?" Come on, now... :pb_lol: 

Maybe one of the howlers will finally be the one to have a, "Is [Insert J Name Here] Duggar's Girlfriend a Member of the Radical Feminist Resistance?" headline in the Hollywood Gossip (/dream on teamdefraudinsquad, dream on...:pb_lol:)

1 hour ago, Kira said:

Ben had two jobs in the beginning of his courtship with Jessa. He worked for his father's window(windshield?) company and he was an insurance agent(or something like that). He worked and was taking college classes. 

Ben did work at this State Farm insurance agency in Hot Springs (not as a licensed agent) for a semester or two: https://www.statefarm.com/agent/US/AR/Hot-Springs/Cynthia-Rougeau-DZKGY51ZBAL. Many of us suspected it was an internship, very likely part-time. We do not know if he was paid. I'm certainly not knocking it, especially if he was getting college credit for it--but he was far from being a fully employed "insurance agent"

But I do love that his boss was an African-American female!

3 hours ago, Kira said:

And he threw that all away.

I am glad he has his AA.

Hope he continues to take online classes via Moody.

I wish the Seewalds could move away from JB.

I got married at 19.I had my first son at 20.By the time he was 11,people were asking him,Is that your sister?That's not your Mom,that's your sister!Who the heck is that??She looks like she's 26.I receive a phone call>Band Boosters."Are you the very young looking Mother? Me:"That's me",Can I ask your age?I tell her."Well,you look at least 7 years younger."

I go to the middle school for a conference for my son.I was 40.I was asked for my pass.This woman really thought I was a student.She asked my son if was offended.No,I was flattered.He was offended...lol.He said he must "look old".I just did not believe I looked THAT young.My son said ,Mom,you look like a kid.Well,thanks.

I felt like I wasn't taken seriously sometimes,though.

Fantasy Plotline:

The Duggar-Seewalds move to Hot Springs. TLC rents them a lake house, so we have some attractive background for a change. Ben is considerably more likable in footage chasing Spud in the snow than anytime he is speaking, so TLC should work that angle. Children should be seen and not heard, and by children, I mean Ben.

All these years filming in Arkansas, and they never show the outdoors? Why not? Hot Springs is pretty.

Then we see more of the real Seewalds, Ben's family, not because I like them, but because they aren't Duggars. I would love to see TLC and Jessa cut that Duggar cord.

Then, Ben gets a real job, any job, and goes to night school, or online, to finish his degree.

We see footage of pretty Jessa and her pretty kids playing by the pretty lake, and we momentarily forget how ugly they are on the inside. 

Oops... Joe and Kendra thread, so I have to add their fantasy Plotline. Long courtship. Double wedding with Jed and Lauren. They all move together to Woodbridge, VA, the suburb of Washington DC, where the Caldwells used to live, and the home of their sending church. Escape from TTH! But codependent style. 

On 3/12/2017 at 11:23 AM, singsingsing said:

Marjorie always wore pants, even when she was courting Josiah. I'm very happy she dodged the Duggar bullet and I hope it stays that way.

Yes but if she married him that would've ended, right? Because I never saw her wear pants when with him or his despicable family. 

I didn't know she was from a more liberal family. She indeed dodged a huge bullet'!

On 3/12/2017 at 2:28 PM, SassyPants said:

No one knows who gets a paycheck from the show.

Well each person who appears who is over 18 has to enter into an independent contract and it would make no sense that the family would get only one or two paychecks. It wouldn't be legal for only one to get the pay for everyone else and as crazy as they are I don't think the  family would agree to allowing only one of them to receive pay while the rest appear for nothing but "perks".  

On 3/13/2017 at 7:25 AM, front hugs > duggs said:

I feel like they made her do the video with Michelle instead of JB because "we can't let people think that Jana is alone and unhappy, so let's put it upon her heart to say she's excited and happy even though she's almost the only adult left in the house". All the ideas they come up with to appease the critics end up backfiring. Every. Single. Time.

It's tragic. Almost the only adult left in the house. It must be so lonely for her. 

On 3/13/2017 at 0:18 PM, VelociRapture said:

Keep in mind that it depends on the district you live in. I'm in New England (Connecticut) and got relatively good Sex Education in my school district. We had the video on mensturation during fifth grade - the female teachers and our moms watched with us and answered any questions we had as honestly as they could. And starting in sixth grade we had Health class. We learned about reproductive health, some contraception methods, STIs, drugs, etc. 

This link includes a map that shows what each state requires:

https://www.google.com/amp/fusion.net/story/188424/sex-ed-and-condom-instruction-in-america/amp/

And here's a link that discusses recent legislation concerning Sex Ed:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/state-policies-on-sex-education-in-schools.aspx

My mom's from Holland. You should see what sex Ed is like there! It's graphic and starts super young. They also have a super low teen pregnancy rate and kids end up having sex at older ages than here, with fewer partners and they report more enjoyment than young people here do, from sex. 

On 3/13/2017 at 6:03 PM, PennySycamore said:

I don't know about the Duggar females, but I do, more or less.  Mine is flannel and red plaid which I ordered from LL Bean.  It's not especially ruffly, but it is warm.

ETA:  (Since this would have been merged anyway)  In my high school, they had a particular code on the attendance sheet (which I can't remember at the moment) for a girl that withdrew because of pregnancy.  It was not uncommon to see girls' names with that code.  During my sophomore year,  a girl in my brother's class got pregnant and did not drop out.  She came back to school after she gave birth.  She named her baby the same name as the principal.  They shared a very common surname and he had a common male first name.  It was also the name of a popular, nay legendary, soul musician.

Second edit:  @MargaretElliott, that's a cute dachsie that you have under the spoiler!

I wonder what kids thought when she named her child the same thing as the principal! (James Brown?)

On 3/11/2017 at 11:55 AM, Dandruff said:

Haha, I've always liked Joe but ITA about his personality and brightness. I keep hoping there's some secret genius hidden under there...that he has been riding along and holding out, waiting for his chance to run, but I doubt it.

I think he and Kendra will do fine.  I believe he wants a quiet life and, once married, he'll keep some distance between his family and the show.  Some quick $$s for courting and wedding episodes, maybe some baby coverage, but otherwise remote.

If being stuck with one person you barely know before you've had a chance to grow, date, figure out what you want, and constant, never ending pregnancies and the endless drudgery of child care and housekeeping, and the spectre of poverty always nipping at your heels as you pop out eleventy kids, is "fine", then I guess they'll do fine. 

27 minutes ago, amendgitan said:

Yes but if she married him that would've ended, right? Because I never saw her wear pants when with him or his despicable family. 

I didn't know she was from a more liberal family. She indeed dodged a huge bullet'!

Well each person who appears who is over 18 has to enter into an independent contract and it would make no sense that the family would get only one or two paychecks. It wouldn't be legal for only one to get the pay for everyone else and as crazy as they are I don't think the  family would agree to allowing only one of them to receive pay while the rest appear for nothing but "perks".  

The above^ has been debated every which way possible, yet no one has been able to determine who gets paid, how much or how.

@amendgitan,  at least some of the kids thought it was kind of weird, but I don't know that the black kids in the school thought that it was weird.  I think they might have been more likely to think of James Brown, the Godfather of Soul rather than Mr Brown, our principal.

TLC has some interesting contract arrangements.  With the Duggars and the Browns they contract with the family company.  I don't remember the names exactly but it's something like Brown Family Entertainment.  Then all bets are off for figuring out who gets what.

We had an incident last night at the mall where our ages were in question. I'm 37, hubby is 33. My oldest daughter is almost 17.

She had purchased a wooden sword at the anime store for a cosplay convention this weekend. She was walking around with it down the back of her sweatshirt. As we were leaving the mall, a security guard approaches and asks to speak with her, starts to lead her away from us and off to one side. Immediately hubby steps up next to them and in a very gruff and loud voice says "not without a parent you won't!"  The guard (maybe 25? 26?) noticeably startles and skitters back a few steps, saying we looked younger and he didn't realize we were her parents! Seems security had several complaints that she was carrying a weapon.  We got it worked out but laughed hysterically the whole way home. 

13 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Marjorie wore pants when she was around Josiah and the Duggars. In 99% of the photos the Duggars posted of Marjorie and Josiah she was wearing pants.

One of the reason I think the married couples and kidults get their own paychecks is because the show is all about them. They're the stars. It was probably different for "19 Kids..." 

13 hours ago, Coconut Flan said:

TLC has some interesting contract arrangements.  With the Duggars and the Browns they contract with the family company.  I don't remember the names exactly but it's something like Brown Family Entertainment.  Then all bets are off for figuring out who gets what.

Wow! Still? Even for Counting On? I know reality "actors" don't have the same legal protections that real actors have, even for kids, and Arkansas doesn't have Coogan Laws. So after all of these years, the money could be solely in Jim Bob's wallet? Nuts. 

Sad isn't it?  The kids could theoretically refuse to sign on as employees of daddy's company.

On 3/9/2017 at 7:28 AM, Marly said:

This is exactly what I was thinking about. When you live in such a strict and small community, and the only people you ever meet are people you go to church with (since you're being homeschooled), and everyone stays relatively put in the same area, so everyone gets their potential mates out of the same small pond, then at a certain point - although the pond might be bigger because everyone spawns like crazy - isn't everyone somehow related?
How do you prevent inbreeding in very strict and fairly closed-off communities? Granted, Jinger marrying Jeremy, someone from outside of the pond, shows that fresh blood is sometimes added into the mix. But is this the rule or is this the exception? And how do the even more strict communities, like the Amish or the Hutterites, do this? 

If you've ever been on the Amtrak in the upper Midwest, you see lots of Amish traveling between Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. A lot of this is because the Amish communities try to set up marriages between communities in different states in order to reduce genetic overlap, so they have to travel back and forth to visit families of origin.

i've finally put my finger on who kendra reminds me of (facially): nia rader from the youtube family, sam & nia.

22 hours ago, melon said:

I got married at 19.I had my first son at 20.By the time he was 11,people were asking him,Is that your sister?That's not your Mom,that's your sister!Who the heck is that??She looks like she's 26.I receive a phone call>Band Boosters."Are you the very young looking Mother? Me:"That's me",Can I ask your age?I tell her."Well,you look at least 7 years younger."

I go to the middle school for a conference for my son.I was 40.I was asked for my pass.This woman really thought I was a student.She asked my son if was offended.No,I was flattered.He was offended...lol.He said he must "look old".I just did not believe I looked THAT young.My son said ,Mom,you look like a kid.Well,thanks.

I felt like I wasn't taken seriously sometimes,though.

A girl I work with is the same way. I always assumed she and I were the same age, and that's in our 20's. Then she mentions her son is about to graduate from high school and I was like "wait..."

---

I kind of lol'd at that Hollywood gossip article. Anything that brings negativity towards the Duggars. 

On 3/9/2017 at 2:54 PM, FlamingFundie said:

OMFG am I the only one who thinks this couple mirrors the crazy anti-vampire religious nuts from second season of True Blood?!?!?!

(says the person who just recently starting watching this series and has only made it into the second season so PLEASE NO SPOILERS!)

OMG I had the same thought. I've watched and rewatched the whole series more times than I care to admit and I got a Steve and Sara vibe from the photo too. I still miss getting new episodes...

22 minutes ago, rexasaurus_nirb said:

OMG I had the same thought. I've watched and rewatched the whole series more times than I care to admit and I got a Steve and Sara vibe from the photo too. I still miss getting new episodes...

I brought that up several pages back. That's exactly who they remind me of!

Praise their light.

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived