IGNORED

Maxwell 7: Still boring

Destiny

2 hours ago, 16strong said:

No amusement parks? What, too much fucking f*n for them? Dear Maxwells, don't you know how to balance work and play? You know what, nvm.

Here is the email.  Mods please delete if you think this post is inappropriate:

Seems like everyone has heard someone bemoaning their school debt. US News reports that the average college grad has more than $35,000 in school loans. That is a lot of money. Young families often struggle greatly under such a burden, and it puts tremendous pressure on a fledgling marriage. What if both husband and wife have loans? Trying to pay behind for “success” might be the greatest obstacle to their being able to attain it.

Now, picture raising your children with the mindset of paying in advance for success. They learn to make the most of their youth years. From twelve on up, they use their time preparing to be skilled adults while making a reasonable income in exchange for their time. This does not mean that they don’t have fun. They just find beneficial ways of having it. Instead of video games, they thrive on the enjoyment that comes from learning. Instead of hanging out with friends, they work out with siblings or dad or mom, which build strength and family relationships.

Soon they will seek the endorphins adult-type achievement brings as opposed to skateboards and amusement park rides. All choices involve a trade. Will they trade up or trade down for the value of their time? Likely, those trades will have great bearing on the value of their future vocational time. What their time is worth to others will directly correlate with how much time they will have available for their future family and serving the Lord.

Pay for success in advance.

“The thoughts of the diligent tend only to plenteousness; but of every one that is hasty only to want” (Proverbs 21:5).

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skateboards? Kids still use them, but they aren't a big deal. More like riding a bike. Just another example of how out of touch Steve is. 

Also, I thought learning wasn't supposed to be fun. Steveo really likes to change things around when it suits him. 

12 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Coward Steve has been reading here again.  Today's Seriously e-mail talks about kids working and not going to amusement parks.  I subscribe to his dad emails and I'm a woman.

Me,  too.  Those posts are always good for a WTF?  moment.

5 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Now, picture raising your children with the mindset of paying in advance for success. They learn to make the most of their youth years. From twelve on up, they use their time preparing to be skilled adults while making a reasonable income in exchange for their time. This does not mean that they don’t have fun. They just find beneficial ways of having it. Instead of video games, they thrive on the enjoyment that comes from learning. Instead of hanging out with friends, they work out with siblings or dad or mom, which build strength and family relationships.

Steve's ideas of fun would send most people straight over the edge in a New York minute.

Fuck me. I'm an introvert and do spend a lot of time alone but this would kill me. People need downtime from constantly learning and doing all day. When I came home from school I'd chill out before doing homework. And who says video games aren't educational? Depending on the game you learn strategy, teamwork, decision-making etc. And get this- I went to school and am at university but have a good relationship with my family. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Skateboards? Kids still use them, but they aren't a big deal. More like riding a bike. Just another example of how out of touch Steve is. 
Also, I thought learning wasn't supposed to be fun. Steveo really likes to change things around when it suits him. 

I lol'd at the skateboard line, too. [emoji23] Surprised he didn't say roller blades. Out of touch for sure.

Gospel according to Stevehovah

Instead of hanging out with friends, they work out with siblings or dad or mom, which build strength and family relationships.

Earth to Steve: Life is more than a bean burrito! 

Steve does NOT get that excellent social skills can be a primary predictor of success in the work place and not allowing kids to develop these skills by having interactions outside the family can be crippling in one's ability to be successful in life, work and MARRIAGE! 

Introvert here.  Just thinking about being raised in an environment where one is never alone with one's thoughts or emotions for one second is just.............CRAZY making. 

The thing Steve never addresses is how difficult it is to become wealthy - or even securely upper middle class - without leaving the home/getting training. 

My spouse and I left school with approximately 160k debt.  However, it was an investment.  Without our education, we couldn't be making the (very well paid) salaries we currently get.  If you want to be well-paid and relatively secure, what's Steve's advice?

3 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

If you want to be well-paid and relatively secure, what's Steve's advice?

Buy his books, hire his sons, make him richer.

(he doesn't care about you - you're not as godly as he is)

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Fuck me. I'm an introvert and do spend a lot of time alone but this would kill me. People need downtime from constantly learning and doing all day. When I came home from school I'd chill out before doing homework. And who says video games aren't educational? Depending on the game you learn strategy, teamwork, decision-making etc. And get this- I went to school and am at university but have a good relationship with my family. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

VIdeogames are The Great Evil.  You should Kevin Swanson go on about how half of thirty year old men aren't grown up because they play videogames...

It's taken me a long time to get out of "video games are evil" mindset. It took someone giving me a Nintendo DS3, with the intent that I would use it to get my drinking under control (I can't drink and play games at the same time.) and it helps not just with that but with anxiety.

But even as something you just do for fun, they're not a moral issue.

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

Who the hell says dessert cookies?  Only Teri Maxwell.

Well, she sure as hell can't have anyone thinking that the grandchildren get cookies at any time other than dessert. Talk about ludicrous - a child enjoying a cookie just for the sake of it? Gimme a break! Nope, no way... must justify it by calling it a dessert cookie. If she didn't, next thing you know is people might just start eating cookies all willy-nilly! Heaven forbid!

Cookies clearly are a new idol in the Maxwell household. The constant talk about baking cookies with "little ones" is making me feel diabetic.

2 hours ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Cookies clearly are a new idol in the Maxwell household. The constant talk about baking cookies with "little ones" is making me feel diabetic.

What will they do when it's Stevie's birthday and the highlight of the day is two animal crackers? 

On another subject, I'm no Dugger fan, (though it was them that introduced me to the Maxwells via FJ) the UK TLC has started to show 'Counting On'. So I've fast forwarded a few episodes - it should be X rated with Jinger front hugging Jeremy.... However they showed a replay of Josiah's (I love fashion ;-)) 'graduation' which Terri and Jessie attended. I know that it has been mentioned here. But how did Terri allow Jessie to sit next to cousin Amy? Of course not watching the BEAST they might of thought her to be a godly virgin?

On 2/9/2017 at 7:16 AM, bertnee said:

I lol'd at the skateboard line, too. emoji23.png Surprised he didn't say roller blades. Out of touch for sure.

I've got a brand new pair of roller skates.  Does Steve have a brand new key?  I just totally outed how hold I am didn't I?

I'm with the other introverts here.  If I had to spend 24/7 with people I'd go padded cell bonkers.  I work from home, so I get several blessed hours of pure quiet time.  I  love my kid and husband , of course I do.  However I've been known to send my husband off to a party without me. He is social and likes 'em.  I'd rather stay home with my books and cat.

As for skateboards.  I live near a high school and always know when school lets out..  I hear the click click click of kids rolling down the sidewalk on their boards. Oh those evil devil lovers.  Getting a public school education with people out side of their family.  Using a skate board to get home.  Is this the sign of the steve-calypse ?

I suspect the Maxwells are starting to gear the website more toward IBLP people and $$s, since Steve & Teri will be speaking at a conference and IBLP folks may be looking for them online.

12 hours ago, Cassia said:

Well, she sure as hell can't have anyone thinking that the grandchildren get cookies at any time other than dessert. Talk about ludicrous - a child enjoying a cookie just for the sake of it? Gimme a break! Nope, no way... must justify it by calling it a dessert cookie. If she didn't, next thing you know is people might just start eating cookies all willy-nilly! Heaven forbid!

In Machell deviled eggs are picnic eggs.

40 minutes ago, Granwych said:

Now I'm confoosed...I thunk they were the devil's testicles...

Steve clearly thinks they're the picnic's testicles  ;)

Okay, Steve is either lazy or thinks his readers are stupid. Maybe both. 

His new Content in Christ post is the same as his most recent Seriously Dad column. 

He's also backdated the post so it looks like he posted it earlier than he did (I only saw it this evening - it wasn't there when I checked this morning). I also think he changed the date on the previous post about the cookie hunt, but I'm not sure. 

You are a doofus, Steve. 

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

Okay, Steve is either lazy or thinks his readers are stupid. Maybe both. 

His new Content in Christ post is the same as his most recent Seriously Dad column. 

He's also backdated the post so it looks like he posted it earlier than he did (I only saw it this evening - it wasn't there when I checked this morning). I also think he changed the date on the previous post about the cookie hunt, but I'm not sure. 

You are a doofus, Steve. 

Isnt laziness and deceit a sin Coward Steve?

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived