IGNORED

Girl Defined

onlysaneperson

What enemies is she possibly fighting? Who is this evil person who she talks about ruling the world? I’d say trump but I don’t think she feels that way. When she talks about enemies, I can’t help but think that she is thinking of people like me, liberal queers who genuinely accept different ways of being. She only accepts different ways of being fundamentalist Christian.

All that energy she puts into evangelizing and living her life for god.....imagine the impact she could have if she took up a real cause. What a waste of a bright, healthy child.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2
  • Love 4

2 hours ago, JMarie said:

"I AM FILLED WITH CHRIST'S LOVE" (as Hillary Faye throws a bible at Mary)

I was thinking of this scene:

Hilary Faye: [the day after "saving" Cassandra] Hey Cass! How do you feel?

Cassandra: Oh, I'm a whole new girl Hay-Faye.

Hilary Faye: I TOLD YOU! How great is Jesus?

Cassandra: Yeah, um, about that... I've decided to devote my life to Satan instead. Thanks though!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

Her inflection, rhetorical devices and gigantic grin remind me uncannily of a teenage-girl copy of Joel Osteen.  It's actually creeping me out a bit.  

• Upvote 6
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Her inflection, rhetorical devices and gigantic grin remind me uncannily of a teenage-girl copy of Joel Osteen.  It's actually creeping me out a bit.  

I had the same thought lurking at the back of my mind, mainly that the smile was Osteen-tatious. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Upon some contemplation, I've decided she reminds me of the Francesca character from the old Tracey Ullman show.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Man if you are that inundated with lies upon lies upon lies by merely walking out of your room in the morning then you need to rethink your living situation.

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 6
  • Love 3

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She wants to go private before she goes public so she shows the world what she does in private? When did bragging about how spiritual you are become godly? 

YES! This is what drives me nuts about these holier-than-thou little twits. Matthew 6:6 say "But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

So we clearly aren't suppose to making fucking Youtubes video about it. 

• Upvote 16
  • Haha 3
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Young Emma seems to be singing and praying herself into religious ecstasy where in a state of euphoria she dances with her boy friend, God.  She'll probably grow out of it.

I think a lot of these young Fundie maidens are competing on how to have the most spiritual "ministry" ever.  In an obsessive way that can become unhealthy but is much admired in their circles.

Yeah, I don't want to be too harsh on someone who's what, 17 years old? But it is kind of alarming that she's amassed 120,000 instagram followers by projecting the image that her life is one uninterrupted manic state, as if that's healthy or admirable. She makes it out like her constant fervor is automatic and unquestioned ("as soon as I open my eyes, I start singing, because I just can't help it!") rather than a conscious practice. I wonder if her young followers, who as ordinary humans have highs and lows of emotion, who doubt, who have to remind themselves to pray, sometimes feel inadequate imagining that the model believer has to look and act like Emma.

• Upvote 7
  • Love 3

Man if you are that inundated with lies upon lies upon lies by merely walking out of your room in the morning then you need to rethink your living situation.

Bahahaha I thought this too. It didn’t take me long to realize that this dramatization of evil was over the top and I remain religious. Girlfriend, it’s not that bad. Come on.
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, legalbeagle said:

The privilege and lack of self-awareness she exhibits are just stunning.

This is exactly why she irritates me. I did some poking around at her stuff and she has a blog entry on how important it is to be kind, because you never know if that person just found out their loved one has cancer, or is working three jobs, but still doesn't know if they can pay their rent... Yet, there is nothing about if YOU are that person. To her, bad things happen to other, non-Jesusy people who don't know that God has things planned for them, and if you keep smiling and being kind and praying and reading your Bible, bad things won't happen to you.

But she can't speak to the person who just found out that a loved one has cancer, or the person who actually has cancer, because her faith is shallow. It's about having bad things roll off your back. There's no room for struggles or doubt. I feel like she's so frantic in her energy, because if she stops, it will all come tumbling down.

Being kind is great. But most of us are kind because we understand pain. I'm not sure she does yet.

• Upvote 13
  • Love 14

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

But most of us are kind because we understand pain.

Thank you. Beautifully said. 

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 5
  • Love 1

By now I had some time to look into her videos a bit more. It is a student-led ministry she collaborates with. 

I guess they strive to be something like christian influencers - is this still your average excentric christian ministry or already on the fundie-spectrum?? 

I still cannot believe this is legit.

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

OK, I had to cut out at the 22 second mark.  Too much relentlessly upbeat, "How to annoy others in the name of Jesus."  

Youtube thought the next thing I'd want to watch is Liberal Redneck Trae Crowder being interviewed by Bill Maher. Works for me. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 2

Okay I just watched the video. All I can picture is this teenage girl shouting THE LORD IS MY SHEPARD I SHALL NOT WANT! As her orthodontist rolls his eyes and says boredly "I know Emma..."

Edited by Eternalbluepearl
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 11
  • Love 2

They come across as the type of fundie-lite who are all "We put the FUN in fundamentalism." They might listen to (Christian) rock music and wear trendy clothing, but at the end of the day, it's the same BS, just in a different wrapper. Think Mars Hill, rather than Gothard.

One thing that really bugged me about the second video here was how it basically advocates love bombing people. All the "pour your love into them" stuff. I've been the target of someone trying that on me, and I was in a place in my life where thankfully, I wasn't vulnerable to it, just super creeped out. But lots of teens ARE vulnerable to it, and the people are out there advocating it as a good thing. The more I look at this, the more I move beyond irritated to disgusted.

I mean, compare these kids to someone like Fred Rogers, whose "You're perfect just the way you are" and "No one can be you, but you" comments were undoubtedly informed by his Christian faith and very similar to Emma's "God made you unique" posturing, yet the impact is completely different. And not once on his show did he ever make his faith a subject. But even as an avowed agnostic, I have the utmost respect and awe for Fred Rogers. Emma Jenkins I just really want to sedate.  

• Upvote 17
  • Love 2

Saying something nice, at least she looks like a normal teenager and her focus seems to be on people and the Bible. 

Contrast to the Duggars, who focus constantly on the superficial - forms of schooling, hair, skirt lengths.  

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Terrie said:

Emma Jenkins I just really want to sedate.  

I have to turn down the sound and pine for a tranquilizer gun.

Somewhat to my horror I find that her parents are obviously encouraging and enabling this shit.  It's not just the youtube, instagram, and twitter.  Emma has a blog.  She will be opening a shop in 2018.  And you too can invite Emma Mae to speak at your events.

My edits in bold.

Thank you for your interest in having Emma speak at your event. It is quite an honor to be considered. [Quite?  You conceited little twit.]
Emma’s heart wallet wants to help lead her generation into a genuine relationship with Christ. As Emma prayerfully considers your event decides how much to charge, please provide us with the requested information below.

Once submitted, our team [who?] will review your request and be in touch with your next steps  send you an invoice.

BASIC ACCOMMODATION REQUESTS:

Outside of the speaking fee Emma will have basic expense requests that would need to must be provided upfront. Those include:

• -Round trip airline tickets for Emma and one adult parent. First class, please.
  • -Hotel accommodations Five star, please.
  • -Meal expenses covered Prime Rib not hamburger, thanks.
  • -Car Limo service to and from event
  • -Red carpet.  Not optional

Speaking Fee:  How much can you afford?  Emma doesn't come cheap.

Once your application is submitted our team [who is that again] will be in touch with you on speaking fees for the requested event.  [All major credit cards accepted].

http://sonseeker.org/emma-mae-jenkins/

• Upvote 1
  • I Agree 1

I was curious if this was how she always presented herself, or if it was just a youtube persona. It appears she's actually that enthusiastic. I'd love to have that kind of energy to, you know, actually help people and not just quote verses at them. She also needs to shut her mouth when she's not talking, flies are going to get in there. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/11/2018 at 6:24 PM, rosastrohhut said:

I just found this video after watching Bethany Baird's relationship announcement video (unmarried sister from Girl Defined). 

Anyhow - this was recommended: 

Is it satire? Can it be for real? What organization does she work for? I found no thread so I decided to open one. 

At 5.49 she dances the waltz with G*d. 

Need clarification. Thank y'all.

She's a really good friend of Sadie Robertson and became insta famous after Sadie posted videos with her. 

Unification Church members are smiling all of the time, even at four in the morning. The man who is full of love must live that way. When you go out witnessing you can caress the wall and say that it can expect you to witness well and be smiling when you return. What face could better represent love than a smiling face? This is why we talk about love bomb; Moonies have that kind of happy problem.

Sun Myung Moon, found of the Unification Church

That whole morning routine thing is total BS. Because you know what you do when you first wake up in the morning? You don’t sing, or pray, or dangle your feet off the bed......you pee. You get out of bed, go to the bathroom, and then maybe return to bed but I call a lie on anyone who prays before peeing.

• Upvote 9
  • Haha 9
  • Love 5

17 minutes ago, anachronistic said:

That whole morning routine thing is total BS. Because you know what you do when you first wake up in the morning? You don’t sing, or pray, or dangle your feet off the bed......you pee. You get out of bed, go to the bathroom, and then maybe return to bed but I call a lie on anyone who prays before peeing.

What about praying on the way to the bathroom, that I make it there in time?

#gettingoldisnotforsissies

• Haha 11

I was immersed in the church as a teen. I came from a high-ranking church elder family and the youth leaders actually didn’t like me very much (afraid of protective parents who were interfering in youth ministry whenever I wasn’t happy, which was always so I eventually shut up about it bc that was easier). I was admittedly socially awkward with little tolerance for fake chipper youth leaders who favored the popular kids who were also always happy. It took a very long time for me to come back around to the church on my own terms and I still don’t like my childhood church. I’m guessing I would not have liked Emma very much.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

What about praying on the way to the bathroom, that I make it there in time?

#gettingoldisnotforsissies

Or praying on the pot--HAY-MEN!

• Upvote 4

• Jinder Roles changed the title to How to Wear Makeup In A God-Houring Way (Video)
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic