IGNORED

Girl Defined

onlysaneperson

2 hours ago, seraaa said:

Because I'm joyless and boring I'd personally draw the line at slagging off their mode of expression and mannerism. People can't help or control how they speak or their mannerisms, and it is very not fun to feel like you have to act all the time lest someone make fun of you.

Sure, in day-to-day life - but these girls are putting themselves forward as teachers, with a dedicated media platform, and are choosing their mode of presentation.  The endless "MMMMHHMMMMs" and emphatic nodding are a choice, and part of their brand, in the same ways their clothing and hairstyles are.  Their videos are clearly edited, so if they fluff lines etc they take that out.  They are deliberately doing it to agree with each other and, I suspect, so one doesn't have to stay quiet for too long.

I do understand your impulse, and as I say, I agree with it when eg it's a co-worker with an annoying verbal tic - but these videos are presented as professional, and in my opinion, it's not an uncontrollable mannerism, it's a conscious stylistic choice.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Lurky said:

Sure, in day-to-day life - but these girls are putting themselves forward as teachers, with a dedicated media platform, and are choosing their mode of presentation.  The endless "MMMMHHMMMMs" and emphatic nodding are a choice, and part of their brand, in the same ways their clothing and hairstyles are.  Their videos are clearly edited, so if they fluff lines etc they take that out.  They are deliberately doing it to agree with each other and, I suspect, so one doesn't have to stay quiet for too long.

I do understand your impulse, and as I say, I agree with it when eg it's a co-worker with an annoying verbal tic - but these videos are presented as professional, and in my opinion, it's not an uncontrollable mannerism, it's a conscious stylistic choice.

Fair point

• Upvote 2

They put a quote on their instagram today saying 

real, lasting, meaningful relationships are not based on how cute or adorable you look in your facebook pictures.

Well, I don't think anyone is going to disagree with this statement, but they are again implying that you need Jesus to have a meaningful relationship when in reality it just takes somebody who's not totally superficial. 

It's funny how they put a link to alovelycalling in the description of the picture, because when I click on that lady's blog, the first article is "to the young wife with too many expectations". 

A quote from that article: 

Your grace and beauty and love for your husband and little home is such a light and magnification of our King.

http://alovelycalling.com/2017/08/01/young-wife-expectations/

:D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The next conference next year will be called "Love Defined". http://mailchi.mp/girldefined/sisterhoodevent-1296321?e=e94ca967b8 Oh, and they're doing an online live stream in November that you have to pay for. I think it was $10. But it is getting more expensive when more people are watching on the same device. LOL. How do they want to control if one person is watching or 10? https://www.girldefined.com/events

I also don't think there'll be anything new in there. Their livestreams last year were free... now they want money. 

• 2 months later...

I just saw this IG post. They are going on and on about, I am guessing JaclynGlenn, but it is this sentence that rubs me the wrong way: "Teaching truth isn't always easy".

No it is YOUR truth, not THE truth.

• Upvote 7
  • Rufus Bless 3
  • I Agree 1
  • Love 1

I just found this video after watching Bethany Baird's relationship announcement video (unmarried sister from Girl Defined). 

Anyhow - this was recommended: 

Is it satire? Can it be for real? What organization does she work for? I found no thread so I decided to open one. 

At 5.49 she dances the waltz with G*d. 

Need clarification. Thank y'all.

• Upvote 6

Wow I don't know where to start from the singing or the obsessive posting of note cards everywhere. This girl seems like the lights are on but no one is home.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

I came across her a couple of months ago. She's very, very popular on social media with teens/preteens. She was elected homecoming queen at her school, so it seems she's popular in "real life" too. I could see her being a speaker and author in mainstream Christianity in a few years.

When I watched the videos the Maxwells posted a few weeks ago, I suspected Mary was trying to imitate Emma Mae's speaking style, and it just did not work!

Edited by BiblebeltCath
Poor style
  • Upvote 3

It's the girl from this meme! I knew I had seen her before. https://twitter.com/dory/status/849673232051568640?lang=en

Hey, whatever makes her happy, but personally I'd be exhausted after a few minutes in the presence of someone with that kind of energy. Oh, and you start singing as soon as you wake up in the morning? You'd have a face full of hot coffee if I were around.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 10
  • Love 1

She is actually serious about this I wonder if someone who is that hyped up will eventually hit a point of burn out? She also advertises Josiah's ex marjorie jackson's book I wonder if they are actually friends or just kind of a friendly cordial thing being big on social media

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

Love:  the scrunchies!  I don't even care that she's got three of them as bracelets!  Long live the scrunchie!

Hate:  the countenance!  Bare shoulders and short shorts!  And those index cards look like she's trying to cram for a final, when she hasn't gone to class all semester!  And her enthusiasm is way too bubbly! (alright, JMarie, enough with the exclamation points)

She wants to go private before she goes public so she shows the world what she does in private? When did bragging about how spiritual you are become godly? 

• Upvote 19

Just looking at her makes me tired. She reminds me of Hillary Faye in the movie Saved, right down to the name. "I'm just so on fire for Jesus! Yay!" 

• Upvote 11
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JMarie said:

Love:  the scrunchies!  I don't even care that she's got three of them as bracelets!  Long live the scrunchie!

If I'd know there were such cute scrunchies these days, I might still have long hair!  

Mark my words, this girl is on the way to becoming a televangelist; on further reflection, she already is. 

Also, I wonder how she responds when she reads the violent and less savory aspects of the Bible. I bet those aren't on notecards in her room. 

Edited by Howl
  • Upvote 4

The privilege and lack of self-awareness she exhibits are just stunning.

She bursts into song as soon as she wakes up in the morning because of how good God is? That's because she's an attractive white girl with long pretty hair and a cute smile. From what I can see in her bedroom, she lives a comfortable life. It would be hard not to think you serve a perfect God with a life like that.

My hope for this young woman is that someday her eyes are opened and she uses her charm and platform to advocate for those who are less fortunate than she is.

• Upvote 17
  • I Agree 4

Emma is a a pretentious privileged little twit.

♫♬ Anyway you can pray, I can pray better; I can pray anything better than you.  Any time you spend with God, I spend it better; I am so much more Godly than you.  ♫♬

Young Emma seems to be singing and praying herself into religious ecstasy where in a state of euphoria she dances with her boy friend, God.  She'll probably grow out of it.

I think a lot of these young Fundie maidens are competing on how to have the most spiritual "ministry" ever.  In an obsessive way that can become unhealthy but is much admired in their circles.  Emma isn't hurting herself or anyone else, really, but it might be good to diversify her interests.  I expect when she learns more about the world and finds a real boy friend (sorry "future husband") she'll cool her jets a bit about God.

I'm NOT saying this has anything to do with Emma, but I've always found this article about the Little Flower, Thérèse of Lisieux, interesting: https://www.independent.ie/life/health-wellbeing/fitness/thrse-of-lisieux-a-real-saint-or-a-suitable-case-for-treatment-26523648.html

I've read parts of  L'histoire d'une âme with much skepticism.  I found her visions quite creepy, but I rather agree with the end of the above article.

"And, ultimately, religion is about faith. If you move the focus of Thérèse's story away from her desire to suffer, and look at the motivation behind it, you find love: a love for her fellow human beings and for her God.

If spending time with her remains, and pondering her simple message of selfless acts of kindness encourages a little more love in these difficult times, then I'm all for it."

Or, whatever floats your boat so long as you aren't hurting people!

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 16

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Just looking at her makes me tired. She reminds me of Hillary Faye in the movie Saved, right down to the name. "I'm just so on fire for Jesus! Yay!" 

"I AM FILLED WITH CHRIST'S LOVE" (as Hillary Faye throws a bible at Mary)

• Upvote 7
  • Haha 4
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Terrie said:

Haven't thought of that movie in a while, but now I can't unsee it! 

55 minutes ago, JMarie said:

"I AM FILLED WITH CHRIST'S LOVE" (as Hillary Faye throws a bible at Mary)

Yes, the best line! Found a gif of it:

Spoiler

xqEYO.gif

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, JMarie said:

Hate:  the countenance!  Bare shoulders and short shorts!  And those index cards look like she's trying to cram for a final, when she hasn't gone to class all semester!  And her enthusiasm is way too bubbly! (alright, JMarie, enough with the exclamation points)

Scrunchie are back! They are in style with the younger teenage crowd. 

• Jinder Roles changed the title to How to Wear Makeup In A God-Houring Way (Video)
  • nelliebelle1197 locked this topic