IGNORED

New --likeable-- fundie blog - Are These Kids All Yours

fundyfunland

Hola - Just stumbled upon a new fundie blog. I was searching for Jessica & Chad's blog (maybe under a different name - I miss them, in an annoying sence), and came across this blog: arethesekidsallyours.blogspot.com/ by the Wright family.

Homeschooling, Jesus-loving, large family, abortion-is-murder kinda people BUT all their 6 (or 7?) kids are adopted from Africa, and they read the NIV.

Well, just off the bat, I find them annoying in the following ways:

1. They work for an organization called "Creating Christian Families", which is such a patronizing name... like they think creating a Christian family is the be all and end all, rather than a "Jewish Family", or a "Catholic Family" or a "Muslim Family". Here, I fixed their name for them. "Creating Christian Happy Families".

2. The main adjectives usse to describe her children, especially the older ones, in their main bios are all those vague "Duggar-ish" ones: "What a precious young lady with a precious heart!" "What a compassionate young man he is with a servant's heart." "...a big heart for his brothers and sisters."

3. The anti-choice propaganda.

4. The links to "creation ministries" that tell you how to tell people that science is wrong.

And of course, Planned Parenthood bashing and she supports "Pregnancy Crisis Centers", which would be fine if most offered any real option, but instead most have you pee on a stick, tell you you're pregnant and then try to fear-monger you into making the decision that they have decided is the correct one.

Is she the worst fundie blogger ever? Not even close. But I don't find her particularly likeable.

Well I like them. I am a big advocate of foster parenting and adoption. It is always nice to see people who adopt from foster case (which they apparently did with some of their kids) with the right intentions rather than just to collect the money they get for the kids (which does happen sometimes unfortunately). This couple sounds like they genuinely love and enjoy their kids to me. I'm happy to see that they apparently let their kids do fun things just for the sake of fun unlike say the Maxwells.

If you dislike ANYONE who is a conservative Christian pro-lifer, then it's not surprising that you wouldn't like these folks, but my impression is that they are decent people who are living a more normal, mainstream life than many of the other families this board talks about. I don't have a problem with them.

It's fine to find them likeable or even just be "meh - whatever" on their blog. It's certainly not a blog to go to snark on and I only looked because a post was started. I don't dislike everyone who is a conservative Christian pro-lifer, although I find that they and I usually have little to talk about b/c we tend to have different interests and priorities; although, in fairness, I have had a few friends like this, who are more casual friends. If that was just her belief system, it wouldn't bug me so much... but she puts it out their on her blog. She has an icon comparing abortion to shooting children, so yeah.. I have a problem with that. I have a serious problem with that.

And yes, she appears to love her children and want them to be happy and have fun. I wasn't trying to say she didn't -- I personally hate it when bios of kids are all, "servant's heart, blah, blah", but as far as I can tell, she loves them as individual human beings. So if it came off that I was trying to say she didn't, that's certainly not what I meant.

I certainly appreciate people who go out of their way to adopt children in need of homes and don't treat the children like they should be grateful for their adoption. So, yes, that part of them is positive. What I don't like is the focus on giving children good "Christian" homes. That, to me, is stupid. Children should have good homes, whatever the religion of the parents, and acting like they should only go to homes (or even preferably go to homes) where the parents are practicing conservative Christians is propagating a system where tons of children will be left in the system.

Again, not saying she's a horrid person. Not saying she's a bad mom, or that she hasn't done a ton of good, or that she's not likeable to some. I don't dislike her. But no, I don't find her likeable. But where there are so many blogs w/ awful fundies, I'm not going to spend time snarking on hers.

Guest Anonymous

The front page of the blog links to Abort73.com which is an anti-choice website that is rife with lies and also anti-contraception.

So no, I don't find the author likeable.

The kids are really cute, but I personally would not put bare bum pics of my child on the internet. That's fine for the family photo album, not so much for the world wide web.

devilsadvocate - That's sort of an unfortunate username choice if you aren't a troll.

Hola - Just stumbled upon a new fundie blog. I was searching for Jessica & Chad's blog (maybe under a different name - I miss them, in an annoying sence), and came across this blog: arethesekidsallyours.blogspot.com/ by the Wright family.

Homeschooling, Jesus-loving, large family, abortion-is-murder kinda people BUT all their 6 (or 7?) kids are adopted from Africa, and they read the NIV.

I came across that blog goggling for Zsu's blog, about half the time it pops up first.

On other note, I so miss Latisha and The Chad. Zsu has their blog on her blog roll and it appears she hasn't posted for 3 months, I wonder what's up. Interestingly a while back googiling for Latisha, I came across her sister's blog which had a few comments from Jessica but nothing interesting.

Well I like them. I am a big advocate of foster parenting and adoption. It is always nice to see people who adopt from foster case (which they apparently did with some of their kids) with the right intentions rather than just to collect the money they get for the kids (which does happen sometimes unfortunately). This couple sounds like they genuinely love and enjoy their kids to me. I'm happy to see that they apparently let their kids do fun things just for the sake of fun unlike say the Maxwells.

If you dislike ANYONE who is a conservative Christian pro-lifer, then it's not surprising that you wouldn't like these folks, but my impression is that they are decent people who are living a more normal, mainstream life than many of the other families this board talks about. I don't have a problem with them.

Hahahaha, obvious troll is obvious.

I don't like people who think God gave them rights over other people's insides, and I don't like people who gloat over the thought of others burning in torment forever.

I am just sooooo intolerant ;)

devilsadvocate - That's sort of an unfortunate username choice if you aren't a troll.

Well, you know, my first choice was Lissar, but you got it first. :)

The name is meant as a little joke of sorts. Someone who would defend fundies on here would be 'the devil's advocate' but obviously fundies aren't too fond of the devil.

if you think that's a bad joke, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's just a joke!

Guest Anonymous

Well, you know, my first choice was Lissar, but you got it first. :)

The name is meant as a little joke of sorts. Someone who would defend fundies on here would be 'the devil's advocate' but obviously fundies aren't too fond of the devil.

if you think that's a bad joke, you're entitled to your opinion, but it's just a joke!

I think it predisposes people to see you as a troll. If you are a troll, obviously that's a courtesy to people who don't care to engage with them. If you aren't a troll and you want to be perceived as arguing/sharing/posting in good faith, then you're going to have an uphill slog of it.

Hahahaha, obvious troll is obvious.

I don't like people who think God gave them rights over other people's insides, and I don't like people who gloat over the thought of others burning in torment forever.

I am just sooooo intolerant ;)

What is your definition of a troll? Anyone who disagrees with you? I wasn't trying to provoke people, just posting a different view. I think demgirl understood my comments in the spirit I meant them from how she replied (thanks demgirl for not getting all upset over what I said).

I am aware that some people dislike all fundies and want nothing to do with any of them. Others of us feel the mellower ones are all right. I'm not a fundie myself, but I have been friends with people who would be considered fundies. Some of them are content to live their lives and don't try to be obnoxious about their religion. That's enough for me. I expect that some people are going to be more conservative than me and others more liberal. I can be friendly with people I disagree with.

I am wary of international adoption. I don't think it's wrong in every case, but the parents have to be very careful to do it the right way. I absolutely hate the way fundies like to adopt those poor, pathetic African babies to raise as pets and brag about, and act like they should get a cookie and a medal for rescuing these kids from the horrible fate of growing up in Africa. It's not just fundies that do this either. There was a bit of media attention when Madonna did it a few years ago, but only because the kid's father wanted him back. In general, it would be far more helpful to donate money to the orphanage or to the town to build up their society, rather than just taking random kids away. This is more true in places in Africa that have a higher number of orphans because of civil wars, famine, or exploitation from other countries. It's less true in places like China and India where the orphanages are full of girls because of cultural sexism. In those cases it's much harder for an outsider to help with cultural issues so adoption is a lot more helpful.

There are cases when it's ok to adopt from Africa, but I am highly suspicious that someone is doing it for the wrong reason when they have 6 or 7 kids, especially if they aren't all bio siblings. I'm also concerned that certain people adopt from Africa because they really can't qualify for foster or adoption from reputable U.S. agencies and they know it will be much easier to get kids from Africa.

So I don't find this particular family any more likable than the rest. Even if they have good intentions, there are better ways that they could help these kids.

I can see how it might flag some concern. I know several people who adopted from Africa and treat the child like their own, so I guess I view it differently.

I agree, this family is no better than the others. Visually, they are downright offensive. There is such thing as too much pink. I think she's been taking style tips from Lady Lydia.

devildsadvocate,

When you have more than 6 posts under your belt, maybe we will take you a little more seriously. But since you're so new and didn't do an intro post and our regular trolls frequently use sockpuppets, I'm willing to side with those who are calling you a troll. If you really aren't a troll, you really need to LURK MOAR! before you come onto a random thread and start accusing all of us of arguing in bad faith. It really just makes you seem arrogant to waltz onto a new thread and act like you know better than we do.

I just spent some time perusing this blog and while I didn't read the entire thing, from what I could gather, only one child was adopted from Africa (Ethiopia, specifically). I know she mentioned meeting one of them the day they were born, which doesn't happen in Int'l adoptions, so that child is definately from here. Most of the kids look African American, not African (yes, you can often tell the difference) and some even appear maybe biracial. I would find it bizarre if she only mentioned the origin of birth for one child and not the rest if they were also from somewhere other than here.

I'm by no means saying this family doesn't have some interesting points of view, but a major theme in this thread was them adopting all these kids from Africa and I just wanted to point out that there doesn't seem to be evidence that this is the case for all but one of them (and it would seem that they tried to adopt another child internationally in 2009, but didn't pass the courts). If anyone can find evidence to the contrary, I will stand corrected.

There are plenty of adorable African American kids who need homes; I should know, one is drawing pictures three feet away from me.

I think many fundies seek intl adoptions via private orgs, because they couldn't pass the home studies here in the state, and infants are still always more in demand than a child whose spirit has already begun to form.

This blog is boring. I just have to throw my quarter in about adoption when I can.

A lot of African kids are older when they are adopted. One family I know adopted an 8 year old. Well, that's what they were told, that kid sure thought he was 10, but he was small for his age so apparently the orphanage fudged it a little to make him more adoptable =/

Well, just off the bat, I find them annoying in the following ways:

1. They work for an organization called "Creating Christian Families", which is such a patronizing name... like they think creating a Christian family is the be all and end all, rather than a "Jewish Family", or a "Catholic Family" or a "Muslim Family". Here, I fixed their name for them. "Creating Christian Happy Families".

2. The main adjectives usse to describe her children, especially the older ones, in their main bios are all those vague "Duggar-ish" ones: "What a precious young lady with a precious heart!" "What a compassionate young man he is with a servant's heart." "...a big heart for his brothers and sisters."

3. The anti-choice propaganda.

4. The links to "creation ministries" that tell you how to tell people that science is wrong.

And of course, Planned Parenthood bashing and she supports "Pregnancy Crisis Centers", which would be fine if most offered any real option, but instead most have you pee on a stick, tell you you're pregnant and then try to fear-monger you into making the decision that they have decided is the correct one.

Is she the worst fundie blogger ever? Not even close. But I don't find her particularly likeable.

After looking a bit through the blog I have the same views as you on this blogger. She isn't the worst but she isn't too likeable.

What is your definition of a troll? Anyone who disagrees with you? I wasn't trying to provoke people, just posting a different view. I think demgirl understood my comments in the spirit I meant them from how she replied (thanks demgirl for not getting all upset over what I said).

I am aware that some people dislike all fundies and want nothing to do with any of them. Others of us feel the mellower ones are all right. I'm not a fundie myself, but I have been friends with people who would be considered fundies. Some of them are content to live their lives and don't try to be obnoxious about their religion. That's enough for me. I expect that some people are going to be more conservative than me and others more liberal. I can be friendly with people I disagree with.

No, I disagree with loads of stuff that is said here but bite my tongue (because I am coming from a completely different perspective and because I end up writing essays). Disagreement isn't dislike.

But when you show up on a board and with all of two posts under your belt proceed to tell the posters there that they all think exactly alike and hate conservatives or whatever and are acting in bad faith, you are either a troll or you need, as you have been told, to lurk moar.

GASP! They live about a half hour from me!

It is my new mission in life to find out where they go to church. I have been working on identifying the fundie churches in Tampa. It's a pretty small town...Must...not...abuse...government employee...status...***

*** To clarify...I am not a bad ass CIA agent, but the public library is filled with fundies during the day.

But when you show up on a board and with all of two posts under your belt proceed to tell the posters there that they all think exactly alike and hate conservatives or whatever and are acting in bad faith, you are either a troll or you need, as you have been told, to lurk moar.

Where did I say "you all think exactly alike" or that anyone was "acting in bad faith"? You are reading things into what I said that aren't there.

devildsadvocate,

When you have more than 6 posts under your belt, maybe we will take you a little more seriously. But since you're so new and didn't do an intro post and our regular trolls frequently use sockpuppets, I'm willing to side with those who are calling you a troll. If you really aren't a troll, you really need to LURK MOAR! before you come onto a random thread and start accusing all of us of arguing in bad faith. It really just makes you seem arrogant to waltz onto a new thread and act like you know better than we do.

I didn't say that anyone was arguing in bad faith or that I "know better". As I said to the other person, I think you're seeing what you want to see in my post when I never said any such thing. I just posted a disagreeing view, which is allowed by the terms of this site (yep, I checked!)

I am not really new here. I've been reading this site since the Yuku days. Just didn't feel like registering until now.

I just spent some time perusing this blog and while I didn't read the entire thing, from what I could gather, only one child was adopted from Africa (Ethiopia, specifically). I know she mentioned meeting one of them the day they were born, which doesn't happen in Int'l adoptions, so that child is definately from here. Most of the kids look African American, not African (yes, you can often tell the difference) and some even appear maybe biracial. I would find it bizarre if she only mentioned the origin of birth for one child and not the rest if they were also from somewhere other than here.

I'm by no means saying this family doesn't have some interesting points of view, but a major theme in this thread was them adopting all these kids from Africa and I just wanted to point out that there doesn't seem to be evidence that this is the case for all but one of them (and it would seem that they tried to adopt another child internationally in 2009, but didn't pass the courts). If anyone can find evidence to the contrary, I will stand corrected.

You're right. This post talks about how they were foster parents who adopted:

arethesekidsallyours.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-we-became-familya-shortened-version.html

That is one of the things I like about these people. I wish more people would consider foster parenting.

Archived