IGNORED

Maxhell Part 6 - Boring you to death since...

samurai_sarah

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Abby's spelling may not even be a spelling problem per se: for some reason when I'm writing my hand (or brain, or something) get's mixed up and I'll start writing a instead of e, stick an e at the end of a word where it shouldn't be there, go off and start writing some other word, and yes, skip letters.  I'm so neurotic about it that I avoid pens and try only to write with pencils so I can correct myself, but most people aren't like me, I think, and might either stick the missing letter in awkwardly after the fact, or simply not bother.

And my sister's spelling at that age was a lot worse, and she's in grad school now.

51 minutes ago, Screamapillar said:

The way marshmallows is italicized is oddly sinister.

So do they get one marshmallow for every two animal crackers?

I wouldn't worry about an 8 year old turning on an oven.  I'd worry about taking out the baking sheets.

3 hours ago, Trynn said:

I wouldn't worry about spelling "were" instead of "where." At 8 years old, I spelled things wrong all the time, unless I was working on a school assignment.

Agree, she's young.  Interesting though, that her family - the most perfectionist bunch I can think of - published a *gasp* mistake.

Marshmallows. So, why don't the Maxwells keep kosher? They follow many other dictates from Leviticus.

It confuses me to no end how fundies pick and choose rules from the Old Testament while claiming to be New Testament Christians.

14 hours ago, hollyandivy said:

But but but - it said FUN treats..... What is the world coming to????? Fun in Maxhell????????????

Not to worry, if the marshmallows were described as fun treats, that post will be revised shortly. 

Black Aliss, you are onto something, or at the very least, you've given away the Maxwells' latest business venture---"Cheeses of Jesus."   Just think, any leftover inventory can be incorporated into burritos, pizzas, pasta sauces, you name it.  Brilliant!

19 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

Agree, she's young.  Interesting though, that her family - the most perfectionist bunch I can think of - published a *gasp* mistake.

They are only perfectionist in theory and about a few things.  They've published many mistakes in blog posts and later corrected them.  Summer With the Moodys had multiple grammatical errors and misplaced apostrophes.  Somehow they got past those "professional proof readers" AKA Steve and Teri.

Also we've noticed that their pantry is exceedingly messy and untidy.

@johnhugh, I know someone who got a First at Cambridge in engineering - but spelled Britain wrong throughout his thesis in the days before God invented spell check.  (FTR, he spelled it Britian.)

@johnhugh and @Trynn,  the most brilliant professor that I had in university admitted that he was not a good speller.  He usually spell-checked his exams.  On one exam, he was asking a question about colonization of plants and animals on volcanic islands.  The spell-checker "corrected' it to voluptuous islands.  We all, professor and students, had a good laugh about that!

(Slipping in quietly)

Im still not back (had a Maxwell-reminiscent episode this morning) but I'm listening to QVC while cleaning and they just shilled the "nubi, Jr." tablet for kids by noting that "it has a chore list, so you don't have to be a nag!"

Oh Maxwells, you need to find a software developer....never mind!! 

(Laughing rudely and slipping back out)

Carolling post is up!!

NR Anna gets a "bless her heart" for making over 40 poppy seed loaves. Recipe included at the end of the post. I swear we've had that recipe several times, yet no sign of the pizza-cutter-lettuce tip. Hmm.

They had to do without the guitar- sad face! (The sad face bit being theirs.)

There'a also a selfie of Sarah labelled "yours truly". She looks beautiful in the photo.

That is the best photo of Sarah I have ever seen. It looks like she was wearing makeup and I didn't know they are allowed to do so. She looks so happy. 

I am surprised they didn't get the girls snow skirts. They are hugely popular where I live. No weird putting snow pants under a denim skirt (that is just dumb.) People run, ski, play, wait for the bus, walk to work, etc in snow skirts. And they have them at Costco for $15 right now. 

Or you can go high price and get the $100 one at REI. 

ETA: Posted and then realized I still had a page to catch up on. Sorry for not following the conversation! 

Those poppyseed loaves would never get a ribbon at the county fair. They're over-mixing the batter. Once the dry ingredients are combined with the liquids, the batter needs to be stirred gently and only long enough to mix everything. That way you don't get that big hump in the middle of the loaf. Steve, you should know that. I thought you knew everything.

I will tell you that there was some debate about whether the >5 degree temperatures and ice-layer-under-the-snow should hinder our Sunday night plans, but it was deemed possible.

This is the weirdest sentence. It uses so many words to say so little. And so much passive voice. 

6 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

Those poppyseed loaves would never get a ribbon at the county fair. They're over-mixing the batter. Once the dry ingredients are combined with the liquids, the batter needs to be stirred gently and only long enough to mix everything. That way you don't get that big hump in the middle of the loaf. Steve, you should know that. I though you knew everything.

But baking is a woman's concern, surely? Why would Chief Penis Owner Steve know about baking?

Also: it'd be "would" in that sentence, wouldn't it? 

32 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

This is the weirdest sentence. It uses so many words to say so little. And so much passive voice. 

Right? Here's the whole paragraph for other people. 

I will tell you that there was some debate about whether the >5 degree temperatures and ice-layer-under-the-snow should hinder our Sunday night plans, but it was deemed possible. We did have to do without the guitar (sad face!), and we didn’t have as strong numbers as normal due to babies and little ones not being able to come out. Despite all the odds, our caroling was very successful and brought a ton of Christmas cheer to our neighbors who were surprised that we were out! When one bundles up enough, the temperatures are bearable. It truly felt Christmasy with snow on the ground! I love to see the delight on our friends’ faces. What is that worth?

Here's how I would write that: 

We debated about whether caroling in -5 degree temperatures and icy roads would be worth it, as our family has lots of babies and little ones who wouldn't be safe outside in those conditions. Despite the setbacks our caroling was very successful and brought a ton of Christmas cheer to our neighbors who were surprised that we were out!

Everything else seems useless or confusing. Why bring up the guitar without any context? Do they normally have someone with a guitar? Did it get smashed on stage one night at the nursing home? Or is the guitarist unable to make it? Only one person in this family plays guitar? 

They used the "greater-than" sign when I'm sure they meant less than [5 degrees].

Also, they never explained why they needed 40 loaves of poppyseed bread.  I presume (and one of the photos seems to show) that they gave one to each household they caroled to.  But they never said that in any way, shape or form!

23 minutes ago, church_of_dog said:

They used the "greater-than" sign when I'm sure they meant less than [5 degrees].

Clearly Teri does not utilize the alligator method when she's teaching signs. I still think about it whenever I use one. :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Clearly Teri does not utilize the alligator method when she's teaching signs. I still think about it whenever I use one. :pb_lol:

I had to look that up as it wasn't what I was taught either -- cute!

In the caroling post, the girl in the pink coat on the porch is wearing snow pants. I think that's Abby? At the foot of the steps is a child in a teal coat who also appears to be wearing snow pants. Since Bethany is seen in other photos in a teal coat, it's pretty safe to assume it's her.

The little girls wearing skirts in the sledding pics are quite small, so they're probably Ruthie and Lydia. Besides, Anna Marie and Christopher are more likely to insist on long skirts in the snow than Nathan and Melanie.

1 hour ago, Black Aliss said:

Those poppyseed loaves would never get a ribbon at the county fair. They're over-mixing the batter. Once the dry ingredients are combined with the liquids, the batter needs to be stirred gently and only long enough to mix everything. That way you don't get that big hump in the middle of the loaf. Steve, you should know that. I thought you knew everything.

I also wonder whether they know that all those poppy seeds would get them to fail a drug screen.  Or was that just a Seinfeld episode. 

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived