IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 2

Destiny

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

The Boyer sisters just post picture after picture and tell you wear to get the items.

Just realised that in today's post all of the pictures are waist up, but they still talk about what kind of pants and dress they are wearing, and where they bought them. 

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

Today's post is six pictures one being a "blooper". It isn't a blooper if you are clearly posed and that was the look you were going for. 

I couldn't tell which one was the "blooper" until I read the text.

8 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

Just realised that in today's post all of the pictures are waist up, but they still talk about what kind of pants and dress they are wearing, and where they bought them. 

If you talk about an item of clothing on a picture-heavy blog, SHOW IT. One of my biggest blog pet peeves...

Today's post was just a HUGE ad for those stupid head wraps. Not sister silly time... It was "buy shit from our advertiser so they buy more ad space and send us more shit for free" time. Charlotte still looks youngish, but Jessica looks to be in her mid 40s today. A turtleneck and a fully buttoned 3/4 sleeve v-neck cardigan?! Just... no. 

So those head wraps, the company makes the interesting designs/fabrics all one-of-a-kind, and instead of buying a simple mannequin head to style them on to show off the designs, the designer WEARS EVERY SINGLE ONE. Ew. I don't need something I'm buying that's extremely hard to launder to be worn by someone else first... 

1 hour ago, charmedforsure said:

So those head wraps, the company makes the interesting designs/fabrics all one-of-a-kind, and instead of buying a simple mannequin head to style them on to show off the designs, the designer WEARS EVERY SINGLE ONE. Ew. I don't need something I'm buying that's extremely hard to launder to be worn by someone else first... 

That is kind of gross. And also weirdly vain. When did modesty and vanity become so intertwined?

2 hours ago, wikinggirl said:

I really want to see charlotte's eShakti turquoise dress! Not only is it covered by a sweater but I can't even see the bottom. I like eShakti clothing so I want to see her dress. I'm annoyed.

1 hour ago, charmedforsure said:

A turtleneck and a fully buttoned 3/4 sleeve v-neck cardigan?! Just... no. 

To be fair, that look is pretty popular among my friends in Russia (at least, it has been for the last few years). The 3/4 sleeves over long sleeves bit isn't as prevalent, but I can think of one friend in particular that I could picture wearing it (and looking stunning). Cardigans over turtlenecks, though? Everywhere.

4 hours ago, FormerlyFundyLite said:

To be fair, that look is pretty popular among my friends in Russia (at least, it has been for the last few years). The 3/4 sleeves over long sleeves bit isn't as prevalent, but I can think of one friend in particular that I could picture wearing it (and looking stunning). Cardigans over turtlenecks, though? Everywhere.

I can get behind layering an open cardigan over a turtleneck (that's cute layering, especially if it's supposed to be a twinset), but it needs to be a crew neck or scoop neck cardigan, not a fully buttoned v-neck with awkwardly short sleeves. Jessica's outfit is fully reminiscent of the graphic t-shirts over long-sleeve tees/thermals look that was so popular and went mainstream casual thanks to the skateboarding/snowboarding crowd from the mid nineties to the early aughts. (It's just as bad, if not worse, than the Duggars girls sticking a white t-shirt for modesty under tops that aren't meant to be worn with white t-shirts!) Plus the supposed wide-legged pants she had on would just add to the whole "I'm trying to look like I just got off the slopes in 1999..." vibe.

Pics from a 1997 Alloy Catalog under the cut.

Spoiler

enhanced-buzz-10705-1377537183-22.jpg

Spoiler

enhanced-buzz-1773-1377537210-9.jpg

17 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I couldn't tell which one was the "blooper" until I read the text.

My original thought was that it was the first one of her fondling a branch with her eyes closed. 

17 hours ago, charmedforsure said:

Ew. So people are paying $20+ for an already worn headband? 

6 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

My original thought was that it was the first one of her fondling a branch with her eyes closed. 

They cost over $20?!?!?! :whaa2:

I thought the Boyer sister had a frugal-ish lifestyle with a lot of thrifting, a $20+ headband is not cheap! 

18 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

I thought the Boyer sister had a frugal-ish lifestyle with a lot of thrifting, a $20+ headband is not cheap! 

It is, when you get it for free-- likely due to free advertising.

6 minutes ago, FlamingFundie said:

It is, when you get it for free-- likely due to free advertising.

Oh, they definitely got them for free! But the readers still have to pay the full price. I honestly don't get the headbands. They're just headbands, nothing special, you could probably get something similar at Target (but we know that the Boyer sisters don't shop there anymore!) 

And I just can't with the writing:

Fastening a Garlands of Grace wrap around my head is definitely icing on the cake. Every time we wear our wraps its like being able to put on a crown; they make you feel so special and pretty. The way they can tie an outfit together is purely magical! Besides that, their feminine quality and T-shirt-like comfort make them a must have accessory for any girl!

No, it's not like a crown. It's a headband. 

56 minutes ago, wikinggirl said:

They said they got them free in return for pimping them on the blog.  

Those headwraps look good for bad hair days but wouldn't they be pretty easy to make.

Methinks the Boyer Sisters don't realize they have to state the FTC disclosure in their blog posts EVERY TIME about receiving goods in exchange for a write-up, even if they're the ones handling the ads they post. 

A simple c/o and category tag just don't cut it anymore... 

Their post on those dumb teeth whitening kits and that homemade tea brand both had a disclosure, but the posts where they got items from the advertisers on their blog don't state anything more than just a c/o. 

Tsk tsk.

1 hour ago, formergothardite said:

An ugly already-worn headband, at that.

I'm not paying $20 for a kind of garish-looking headband I can get for $3 at CVS. But I would pay $20 for Charlotte's lipstick. I've been in the market for a pinky/purpley lip color that doesn't look too Barbie (like a lot of pinks tend to) or too Goth (which a lot of purple-toned ones can, and as much as I love going goth, that's not great for the office).

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm not paying $20 for a kind of garish-looking headband I can get for $3 at CVS. But I would pay $20 for Charlotte's lipstick. I've been in the market for a pinky/purpley lip color that doesn't look too Barbie (like a lot of pinks tend to) or too Goth (which a lot of purple-toned ones can, and as much as I love going goth, that's not great for the office).

Her lipstick looks a touch cooler than Barbie pink to me, but not much.  Maybe one of these would do?

Maybelline - Rebel Pink

Maybelline - Fiery Fuchsia

Nars - Stefania

Urban Decay - Menace

Urban Decay - Jilted

Revlon - Wild Orchid

Tom Ford - Velvet Violet 

Too Faced - Bend and Snap

On 12/16/2016 at 5:41 PM, formergothardite said:

At least when Raquel was going through the 5 billion pictures to off how modest she was stage, she also wrote stories that had mystical orange penis ferrets.

......... wat

If anyone can link me to the forum/post regarding this... interesting... subject, I would be eternally grateful.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I quite like the Garlands of Grace headgear, especially the snoods. I've been debating getting something from her, but I don't really wear headbands, so I think it'd be a waste of money. And I prefer seeing them on a human as opposed to a mannequin (I have similar coloring to the lady who models, so it gives me a better idea of what it would look like on me). Still, I hope she washes them before sending them out :pb_confused:

@MargaretElliott I like the GoG headbands too, well enough, just not enough to spend that much money on them when I know how to sew. Plus, I'd have a personal problem knowingly supporting a business that operates on the basis of selling symbols of womanhood as chaste/meek/modest/covered/submissive.

They do pick out nice fabrics.

33 minutes ago, Pianokeeper said:

Her lipstick looks a touch cooler than Barbie pink to me, but not much.  Maybe one of these would do?

Maybelline - Rebel Pink

Maybelline - Fiery Fuchsia

Nars - Stefania

Urban Decay - Menace

Urban Decay - Jilted

Revlon - Wild Orchid

Tom Ford - Velvet Violet 

Too Faced - Bend and Snap

ELF- Wine Tour. Plus it's like $3.

My fiance is moving from the US to Australia to marry me and I'm really worried about him getting homesick. He's never seemed that way before when he's come for visits but there's a big difference between  3 month visits and coming forever. Last time he was here for Thanksgiving I offered to celebrate it with him but he didn't really care.

I would feel so awful if he became depressed and homesick but he doesn't seem very attached to holiday traditions so I'm not sure how to help him out.

Gabe, if you'd like to give a man's perspective on how a new wife can help her husband settle in (without any religious advice - my fiance is a theologian but doesn't subscribe to any particular religious doctrine) I would be interested to hear it. Obviously I'd love other FJ opinions too.

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I gravitate toward purplish to berry shade lipsticks and have one that may be close to what Charlotte is wearing- Maybelline ColorSensational in Blissful Berry (#410). I just swatched it on my hand and held it against my monitor and it looks close enough to give it a try. I want to say it was $6-7-ish at CVS or Walgreens.

Hi, 

Until my Husband gets his account he instructed me to relay a message:  He is glad Gabriel likes the name. It has been  in my husbands Family for generations. He also wants to congratulate Gabriel for being a "loyal family man" as Leo put it. 

If anyone is interested in the Edelweiss Group (the term Piraten /Pirates in english  as part of the name was first used by the Nazis to convey negative associations - pirates-  and is not used by surviving members of the Group as Gertrud Koch explains in her Book) I can recommend the Book

Gertrud Koch/Regina Carstensen: Edelweiß: meine Jugend als Widerstandskämpferin. 

Gertrud Koch was a wonderful Lady and I feel blessed that I was able to meet her and become close. She passed away in June. She was the reason for me to become History teacher.

Since I was raised by parents who subscribed to anthroposophy I was sent to waldorf kindergarten and School. I know how a belief system can have both black and white sides. And I believe in changing a system from within. I will not say homeschooling is bad or good, to me it depends on who does it, how is it done how much does the person know and how able is the person to convey knowledge. 

14 hours ago, MargaretElliott said:

......... wat

If anyone can link me to the forum/post regarding this... interesting... subject, I would be eternally grateful.

http://freejinger.yuku.com/reply/105784#.WFaUJFMrKUl

Here you go! I would like to say that Raquel has grown up and become a better writer/human since then, but she has sadly just become worse in every single way. 

1 hour ago, Nina said:

And I believe in changing a system from within.

I think it would work best if the homeschooling community fought to change things to protect homeschooled children, but sadly very few seem interested in doing so. Gabe's reaction of anger in hearing stories of abuse and then trying to deflect is the most common reaction of those within the homeschool community. They aren't angry at the abuse, they are angry that they have to hear the stories. 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived