IGNORED

The Boyer Sisters, Part 2

Destiny

9 hours ago, refugee said:

I remember that Jefferson wrote his own version of the gospels, taking all the miracles out, IIRC.

8 hours ago, katilac said:

Thank you for this! I've heard tell of the Jefferson Bible. I'm ridiculously excited to read it. I'm maybe one step more than a Deist. I'm totally on board with the first quote in there. My religion is between God and I. I'll tell you what I believe if you ask, but I'm not running around preaching it.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jefferson was also fascinated with Islam and owned a Qur'an. There's an excellent book by Denise Spellman about it that I highly recommend. 

On 12/21/2016 at 6:49 AM, Gabe said:

I found this article the other day, it made me think of FJ. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

On 12/21/2016 at 7:23 AM, Palimpsest said:

Not everyone on FJ and on this thread is American or identifies as liberal.  Not all of us are atheists either, as we already explained at length.  

On 12/21/2016 at 7:27 AM, Gabe said:

When did I ever say any of these things? 

On 12/21/2016 at 8:08 AM, Palimpsest said:

Short memory span?  We remind you of this article.     :sad-bored:

"I found this article the other day, it made me think of FJ. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism"

On 12/21/2016 at 8:22 AM, Gabe said:

And... Palimpsest yet again with a smug assumption about Gabe, tries to put words in his mouth based on an article that he didn't write.

what the fuck

47 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I was very tempted to write "grift" :D

Anybody want an overpriced costume? :P

Maybe, but only if the pattern matches.....

57 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm still waiting on the tartan shrug for my Nike! New Year's dress. :kitty-shifty:

15 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Jefferson was also fascinated with Islam and owned a Qur'an. There's an excellent book by Denise Spellman about it that I highly recommend. 

*Useless Nerd Fact* Congressman Keith Ellison (First Muslim elected to the U.S. Federal government) was sworn in on that Qur'an. 

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Nah, my husband manages to find plenty of goofy-looking shit to wear all on his own.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

You will need to at least grift a plane(that you lose) and an RV if you are going to make it into the top 10 Grifters for Jesus. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

You will need to at least grift a plane(that you lose) and an RV if you are going to make it into the top 10 Grifters for Jesus. 

Bonus points if he grifts a house,too!

5 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

what the fuck

Thanks.  I walked away because I am no longer in middle school.  Young Gabe appears to dislike me quite intensely. :)

I'm still waiting patiently for @Gabe to explain his thoughts on complementarian marriage as he said he would be willing to do - although it would take him some thought and effort.  I did give him the option to, instead, link to an article he believes represents his point of view.  

He's not very forthcoming on any of that.  Perhaps he'll cough something on the subject up in January like a cat with a hair ball.  I live in hope.

On 12/21/2016 at 5:49 AM, Gabe said:

Although steadfastly denying God's existence likely fits the category of blaspheming the Holy Spirit. 

I found this article the other day, it made me think of FJ. http://www.vox.com/2016/4/21/11451378/smug-american-liberalism

I assumed that denying Him would be a pretty good example of blasphemy, yes.  Personally, I think that fits more closely than a really broad definition including run of the mill swearing.

As for the article, if that was directed at me specifically, that's hilarious. I'm moderate at best, and live in an extremely conservative, rural area where guns probably outnumber humans.

On 12/21/2016 at 6:53 AM, formergothardite said:

She found it very difficult to find a homeschool history curriculum that didn't teach fake Christian history and was running into a lot of problems in homeschool groups with people trying convince her that the fake history is a real history.

Oh man, yes, that is a big problem. I wrote most of my own history lessons for my son as a result. I started to write a state history curriculum but then my myriad children wanted attention again.

I also didn't like that so many history and geography courses were geared to learning about a culture solely so you could pray for their salvation. I mean, isn't it good to learn about the entire world JUST TO LEARN, not to change people to our culture? My husband and I, and our older kids, have loved traveling in other countries and exploring their cultures, no evangelism motive necessary.

One of my homeschool writing class kids gave me a teacher Christmas gift today. It warmed my cold little heart. :) He's been a reluctant writer, but has really blossomed this semester.

On 12/21/2016 at 10:49 PM, ViolaSebastian said:

Added to my reading list. I never knew this!

19 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'm still waiting on the tartan shrug for my Nike! New Year's dress. :kitty-shifty:

*Useless Nerd Fact* Congressman Keith Ellison (First Muslim elected to the U.S. Federal government) was sworn in on that Qur'an. 

You can see President Jefferson's Qur'an here: https://www.loc.gov/item/02004352/

Okay, I have Chris Rodda, Howard Zinn, Denise Spellburg in my Amazon cart. Any other suggestions? 

I love this thread diversion!

On 12/13/2016 at 7:12 PM, ViolaSebastian said:
4 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

Okay, I have Chris Rodda, Howard Zinn, Denise Spellburg in my Amazon cart. Any other suggestions? 

My suggestion is read them free from free from the library first to see if they're worth the purchase! :)

4 hours ago, DancingPhalanges said:

I have this book on hold at the library.

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777

I always try the library first, but mine doesn't have books like Liars for Jesus. 

19 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

I also didn't like that so many history and geography courses were geared to learning about a culture solely so you could pray for their salvation. I mean, isn't it good to learn about the entire world JUST TO LEARN, not to change people to our culture? My husband and I, and our older kids, have loved traveling in other countries and exploring their cultures, no evangelism motive necessary.

That is gross. Heaven forbid you learn about them to understand differences, appreciate you and your culture is just a tiny part of the whole or what influences people to act like they do or have the challenges they have.

Illeism is rarely done in a way that improves my opinion of the person doing it, and this thread has not been an exception.

20 hours ago, SoybeanQueen said:

Oh man, yes, that is a big problem. I wrote most of my own history lessons for my son as a result. I started to write a state history curriculum but then my myriad children wanted attention again.

One of my homeschool writing class kids gave me a teacher Christmas gift today. It warmed my cold little heart. :) He's been a reluctant writer, but has really blossomed this semester.

I've struggled with this, as well. I'd love to hear your rec's for middle/high school. 

2 hours ago, formergothardite said:

I have this book on hold at the library.

https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Mind-Divided-Politics-Religion/dp/0307455777

I always try the library first, but mine doesn't have books like Liars for Jesus. 

Thank you! I actually put Bad Science on hold at the library but I'm certain I'll end up buying and adding to my library at home. I think you suggested Bad Science?! And I'll look into the one above.  I love books. Our library system isn't great. Takes forever to get the books I'm interested in if they have them. I live in a neighborhood where everyone swaps books. It's awesome. Right now I'm in Dan Jones' books; Magna Carta, Plantaganets, etc. Just finished some of Jon Krakauer's books; Into Thin Air and Under the Banner of Heaven. 

Anyway, I digress, happens with books.  :my_biggrin:

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived