IGNORED

Election Results 2016

Destiny

I wake up sick only to find out Trump won. I just...I can't deal with this. So, I'm going to take meds and go back to sleep. When I wake up, this will all be a bad dream.

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

I wake up sick only to find out Trump won. I just...I can't deal with this. So, I'm going to take meds and go back to sleep. When I wake up, this will all be a bad dream.

Welcome to the twilight zone.

I think everyone should take some time to mourn and rage and feel hopeless. It's absolutely natural given the shitstorm we just finished and the shitstorm we have coming up.

But I also want to encourage people to eventually start moving forward. Maybe not today or tomorrow or next week... but eventually. Trump won the battle that is the election, yes. But I'll be damned if he wins the whole goddamn war too. 

We need to regroup, refocus, and figure out what went so wrong. Then we need to come up with a plan - not just for the mid-term elections and not just for the national election in four years, but a plan to figure out how to keep this country functional until then and how best to protect the people in this country who need it most.

I cannot stop bawling my eyes out, and my amazing daughter who I should be helping, tells me "Just tell me what I can do for you, Mama". I love her SO MUCH. She is so amazing. She is an amazing person. And she is brown and she is bisexual. And I could not possibly be more proud of my amazing daughter.

And when she didn't win the nomination eight years ago, she didn't get angry or disillusioned. Hillary did not pack up and go home. Because as a true public servant, Hillary knows that this is so much bigger than her own desires and disappointments.

-Michelle Obama at the DNC this year

I think we'd all do well to follow that example.

12 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We need to regroup, refocus, and figure out what went so wrong.

The problem is that what went wrong is that we have a country full of people who will vote for Trump. How do we fix that? I don't know. 

Holy shit I never imagined this could happen. I am so disappointed in America right now. How could anyone choose a vile, misogynistic, racist, pussy grabbing man baby over a much more qualified woman. I honestly couldn't believe he even got as far as being the candidate the Republicans chose to run for president, I thought he would be out instantly in favour of someone who is more qualified for the job. I don't know how the hell this happened.

I wish that Obama could just be president for another four years. There were people worried he would become some sort of dictator and take over America. That would be a great alternative to Trump.

I think even a five year old would be a better alternative to Trump. They've started to realise the world doesn't revolve around them, and have fewer tantrums. Or a kitten. Can America elect the world's first kitten president?

I've been trying to calm down after not sleeping well last night.

So, is anyone else bothered by the irony that this xenophobe has a bromance going on with Putin, leader of our sworn enemy, Russia? I was in on the tale end of this, as a child of the 80's, but I'm sure there are others on here who grew up fearing Russia (U.S.S.R.) and participating in air raid drills, for when we were attacked. I guess, in their minds, xenophobia only happens when people don't look like you. I'm terrified to have a leader who more than one of our enemies were supporting in his campaign- as I recall, the leader of North Korea said good things about Trump, too. I don't think either of these countries possess systems I wish to emulate. 

I fear we've just given our country away, in ways bigger than  the ones we've been talking about- race, gender, and orientation.

I have to explain to BIGBoom how a bully is our next president...

I am crying. 

I have had talks with him about how being a boy and having white skin gives him a head start that many of his friends don't have. He knows the angry orange is mean. He knows he is mean to people with darker skin, different beliefs and as my kid says "my best girls- he don't like them!"

I am really upset. Wish me luck, we're having ice cream for breakfast. (He's too young for scotch)

I want to add that I am so scared for the kids in my school who I know will suffer from this. 

Please let this be the result of corruption, and let it be exposed...

28 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The problem is that what went wrong is that we have a country full of people who will vote for Trump. How do we fix that? I don't know. 

Just want to say - I know it's just a minor detail of significance to no one outside my immediate family - my older-white-male-husband (the demographic that everyone said controlled this election) voted Hillary - not because he loved Hillary, but because he saw Trump for what he is. Proud of him.

44 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

We need to regroup, refocus, and figure out what went so wrong. 

I think it's already pretty clear what went wrong: 

1. the media wouldn't report on Trump's ties to Russia or his rape case or his trial that starts on November 28th. They spent 9 days talking about those damn emails. And I bet they won't take one bit of blame for this mess either. And the won't learn anything from it either. 

which brings me to: 

2. James Comey and that fucking stunt he pulled. It worked

3. there's more racism, sexism, and xenophobia in this country than we realized

4. voter suppression

5. cheating - I still think they cheated somehow. And I will always believe that. I don't believe there are more Trump supporters in this country than there are women who were upset by his sexism, Muslims, gay people, people with disabilities, Democrats, Republicans who were never-Trump, minorities, immigrants. The math just isn't there. It doesn't add up. 

6. Russian hacks. I'm still suspicious that they somehow hacked into our election system in certain states. 

7. 3 decades of training the public to think Clinton was a criminal even though she isn't. 

I really don't know how to fight against all that. I hope someone has a solution. I hope someone will take over the DNC who can lead us forward. But I'm at a lose right now about how to go up against the level of corruption that is occurring here. 

I do hope we keep our Quiver Full of Politics the next four years, just so we can have a support network, especially for those who are surrounded by those celebrating the victory, while we're trying not to vomit. 

For what it's worth, Hillary did win the popular vote. More people voted for her than for Donald. And then of course there were third party votes. It's not much, but at least we can say it wasn't the majority of our country that voted for him.

My sincere sympathies to you all. Especially those of you who are not white or able to pay health insurance.

I don't know who I blame more, those foolish enough to think Trump could make their lives better without considering whose lives he would make worse, or the arrogant, corrupt political esteblishment which has driven voters into his arms. 

Please teach you children to be leaders, reliable, ethical, humble and dedicated to the common good. Maybe then in future elections there will be a candidate worth voting for.

During his campaign, Trump kept on telling everyone that the system is rigged, it's a rigged system, it's so rigged...

So, if he was telling the truth, what does that say about his win?

As a Canadian I am appalled. Canada just got its act together under Justin Trudeau and then the Americans do this. It's (unfortunately) not surprising. This is the way the American system works. People get disillusioned with one party and run for the other. We can only hope that he will only get 4 years.

And to American PoCs, LGBT+ people, women, etc - I understand and support your desires to flee. For those of you who can't do so (or those of you who want to stay and fight for your country) try to pick your battles carefully. America is about to become an even less safe place for anyone who is not a straight, white, Christian male and you won't be able to try and salvage your country from a prison cell or, worse, beyond the grave. 

Good luck. And may the odds be ever in your favor.

As a Canadian I am shocked and appalled by the election results. Only time will tell the outcome. I guess the saying"May you live in interesting times" would certainly fit our present state!

1 hour ago, SilverBeach said:

@Cleopatra7, (((HUG)))

As a Black woman, I share many of your thoughts and feelings. Honestly, I have long had mixed feelings about America, the country of my birth. But this disaster just cements my thinking about all that is wrong with America.  There is no post racial society. I feel like a stranger in a strange land.

PM me anytime. I enjoy your intelligent and articulate posts.

I am shutting it down today, no work, nothing. Truly in mourning.

I'm trying to get ready for work and have cried my eye make up off twice.

Through all my fear I have a very small sliver of gratitude that our area, SB, went blue hard and fast last night.  We cancelled out the red iin the rest of the state (except a few pockets of blue) so the small comfort I take is that statistically the majority of the people we'll see irl...work with...interact with ...gave him a resounding fuck you last night.

it doesn't help the big picture but living in a place where he had high margins would make me suspect everyone.

If this doesn't illustrate how fucked up this is, what does?  Politically CHICAGO was the moral high ground.  CHICAGO made the ethical choices in an ELECTION.

FFS - the absurdity ....if it wasn't so scary it would be funny.

I've sent emails off to my Senators and Representative. Mostly just to make myself feel a bit better. For anyone looking to do the same at some point and who wants a draft to work with, here you go: 

Dear Representative/Senator <insert their name here>,

I'd first like to congratulate you on winning another term to the United States House of Representatives/Senate. You've done a fantastic job for the people of <insert your state here> in the past and I have no doubt you will continue to do so in the future.

As the nation processes the news that Donald Trump will succeed President Obama, I wanted to take a moment to urge you to help our nation move forward. As horrific as I find a Trump Presidency to be, I care too much about the future of the nation and all its citizens to hope he does poorly. Please do what you can to help heal the nation and please do what you can to work with House/Senate Republicans and the future President on any issues you are able to.

But I also want to urge you to continue to be a strong advocate for minority communities and basic human rights as well. On issues of vast importance - such as LGBTQ rights, protecting the environment, Healthcare rights, and matters concerning police brutality - please continue to stand strong in your support. Every American deserves the right to feel safe and secure in our country, not just the chosen few the future Administration may decide are worthwhile. It will take strong and brave leaders such as you and <insert name of another politician here> to ensure that happens.

Congratulations again on a well-deserved victory. Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
<insert your name here>

I left issues I specifically mentioned in and bolded portions that can be removed depending on your state's elections. Feel free to customize as needed depending on where you live and what issues are most important to you.

Find your current Senators here: http://www.senate.gov/senators/contact/

Find your current Representative here: http://m.house.gov/representatives/states.php

And I just want to note - I'm not advocating for anyone to roll over and let Trump trample all over them for four years when I urged them to work with Republicans when possible. I hope Democrats will work with them on issues that aren't overly important - like Trump wanting his own holiday or some stupid shit he's bound to want like that. And I hope they do everything they can to prevent them from destroying the country when they go after important issues.

@Lostie@foreign fundieand all the other non-Americans here - thank you very much for your support. I mean that with complete sincerity.

I've already texted my brother asking that he keep me updated on important issues and ways to help the LGBTQ community retain their rights. And I let him know that if the absolute worst occurs, I will somehow get him to safety. I already made my husband promise me that we will flee to Canada too at the first whiff of, "First they came for the Jews." And he promised we would take as many family members as possible too - starting with my brother. I don't think it'll come to that, but I'd rather be ready.

5 hours ago, AliC said:

[...] The ONLY reason that Nazi Germany, which many have compared a potential Trump presidency to, ever came to an end was because some brave souls were willing to stand up for what's right, even in seemingly small ways.[...]

I am very sorry to say it but that is not true. Nazi Germany came to an end because of military force, only because it lost the war. There were brave and admirable people that stood up against Hitler, that´s true  (and I am very glad that this is the case because it would otherwise be even more difficult to admit that I am German without hanging my head in shame). But they alone would never have stopped him, not in a hundred years. There were too many of their countrymen who were not necessarily actively supporting Hitler, but being indifferent and careless towards the suffering of others. Or simply ignorant and unwilling to learn.

Nothing lasts forever, even Trump.

We (as in: we, people of the whole world) will be very lucky if he lasts less than 8 years and incredibly lucky if he lasts less than four years. He does not believe in democratic values. He will not step down if he is not made do it. Will there be somebody with the power and the will to make him? That is the question. His own party does not like him but has supported and enabled him so far. It will take a rather big number of them to change their mind if they want to stop him. If they have not protested now, why should they do it four or eight years in the future? It won´t get easier.

Maybe I am wrong. I hope so. But I had, ever since the spring, a feeling in my stomach, that Trump would win this election. The whole time I hoped that I would be wrong. In vain, obviously.  I am afraid that I will be proven right once again.

This quote from Marge Simpson sums up my feelings now:

"Listen to your mother, kids. Aim low. Aim so low no one will even care if you succeed. Dinner's in the oven. If you want some butter it's under my face."

• Destiny locked this topic
  • OnceUponATime unpinned this topic

Archived