IGNORED

Election Results 2016

Destiny

I'm really not even sure how the Republicans are going to govern at this point. It's not as if they are a unified party right now. And Trump has been known to try to settle some scores. I'm sure he still holds a grudge against all the Republicans who spoke out against him.

I just wish I had more confidence that those same Republicans will stand up to him in the future. I think they will roll over. But I can't imagine that things are going to go smoothly. 

I'm not sure if all the Republicans in office fighting with each other is a good thing or a bad thing. Does it keep them so busy they don't have as much time to fuck up the country. Or does it just lead to them fucking up the country even more. I have no idea. 

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday I put my baby in an adorable USA onesie in honor of the election and she got poop all over it.

Now I know that was an omen.

6 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Come on. There are bigger issues

Many of the people I know are die hard pro-life. It is truly about the sanctity of life. I honestly think this election went Trump's way because of the die hard pro- lifers and people who are sick of special interest groups and corruption in Washington. They wanted a business man. And the Supreme Court. And tighter national security. I don't think that Americans are as prejudiced as some of you in his thread do. We just had 8 years of a black president! I don't think Hillary lost because she is a woman. People wanted real change and Trump is the guy who they think can accomplish that. Most of the Trumpers I know voted for him for the above reasons. They don't necessarily like his personality but have given him the benefit of the doubt. I'm hoping like someone else said above, that congress will keep him in check. 

Firstly (and bigly :kitty-cussing: ) I want to thank each of you for last night, as we experienced this election night together.  It unfolded right in front of us and all of you helped us face what was happening, in real time.  I don't know how I could have done it alone with the TV.  So thanks, FJers.  

I am still in shock.  I was not ever expecting this election result.  Frankly, I don't think most pollsters were, either.  Kinda hard to put into words... but this just isn't happening, right?

Why do I feel like every fight, every step, every slap in the face women have had to endure to TRY to become equal players in this world just got snuffed out?  

Sorry this is not making sense.  Thanks for reading.

Dear fellow FJ-ers, especially those living in the USA,
I put my alarm this morning extra early, only to find out I had woken up in a reality I didn't expect. I've been following the news for hours now (living in The Netherlands) and I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.
I'm too tired to express all my worries, I just wanted to show my support to all of you that will have to deal with this new reality (the whole world has to, but living in the USA you obviously are more directly affected).
Love :my_heart:

@VelociRapture That is a great email to send. I will definitely be borrowing it to send off to my state reps in the house and congress. My problem is, I never know what to say, so your draft is a great guide!

I told my son to stay calm at school today and not leg any of his friends yank his chain. Education is more important than ever, so he needs to not do anything stupid. I told myself to stay calm at work today (although getting fired may make it easier to relocate...), then I read a comment on a Facebook post about Trump's win saving us from "terrany". Now I'm sitting next my office parking lot screaming at my phone - Well, if you had an education, you'd spell "tyranny" correctly, and we wouldn't be in this mess!" So much for calm...

22 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I think it's already pretty clear what went wrong: 

1. the media wouldn't report on Trump's ties to Russia or his rape case or his trial that starts on November 28th. They spent 9 days talking about those damn emails. And I bet they won't take one bit of blame for this mess either. And the won't learn anything from it either. 

which brings me to: 

2. James Comey and that fucking stunt he pulled. It worked

3. there's more racism, sexism, and xenophobia in this country than we realized

4. voter suppression

5. cheating - I still think they cheated somehow. And I will always believe that. I don't believe there are more Trump supporters in this country than there are women who were upset by his sexism, Muslims, gay people, people with disabilities, Democrats, Republicans who were never-Trump, minorities, immigrants. The math just isn't there. It doesn't add up. 

6. Russian hacks. I'm still suspicious that they somehow hacked into our election system in certain states. 

7. 3 decades of training the public to think Clinton was a criminal even though she isn't. 

I really don't know how to fight against all that. I hope someone has a solution. I hope someone will take over the DNC who can lead us forward. But I'm at a lose right now about how to go up against the level of corruption that is occurring here. 

Excellent job!

I think, first of all, the Dems need to reassess and find a different leader who can be put forward for next time. Hillary Clinton is brilliant, dedicated, hardworking, and would be a great President... but I highly doubt she will ever win. Partly due to the smear campaign of the past two decades, but also partly due to mistakes she and her campaign have made. They seriously messed up by taking Wisconsin and Michigan for granted this time around. And as obnoxious as the constant harping on the emails was, many people honestly feel she never offered up any real explanations either. That's something that will continue to haunt her in the future should she choose to run again.

So, basically, for the good of the nation she needs to unfortunately take one for the team and not run again. Because I don't think she'll be able to change hearts and minds after this election cycle. It's time for someone else to have a chance - personally, I will always hold out hope for President Elizabeth Warren.

As for the media, I'm not sure what can be done. Husband and I will probably be getting rid of cable at some point. Maybe more people doing that could help send some sort of message? Hit them right in the ratings or something? Probably not, but it's a suggestion.

As for the rest, I don't know. Im running on empty after a very sleepless night, so my brain isn't working at full capacity. I'm hoping those involved more in the Democratic Party have better answers and come up with some decent solutions to address that. 

4 minutes ago, Snarkylark said:

Many of the people I know are die hard pro-life. It is truly about the sanctity of life. I honestly think this election went Trump's way because of the die hard pro- life

The thing is, is if they were truly die-hard pro-life, they would have voted for Hillary because her policies are more likely to lower the abortion rates while Trumps won't. I do think a lot of this came down to "save the babies!" and the fact that pro-life organizations have effectively brainwashed followers into being mindless and not really looking at the situation. 

Plus, you don't get to claim sanctity of life when you are voting for a guy who says and does things like Trump has said and done. Life is more than fetus, but again, it comes back to people being trained to be mindless and just repeat the anti-choice propaganda. 

How do we make people smart and teach critical thinking skills in the next four years? 

1 minute ago, VelociRapture said:

As for the media, I'm not sure what can be done. Husband and I will probably be getting rid of cable at some point. Maybe more people doing that could help send some sort of message? Hit them right in the ratings or something? Probably not, but it's a suggestion.

I think a media boycott actually would make them take notice. The corporate media cares about one thing and one thing only: making money. They have shamelessly tried to pander to the Right in this election in order to broaden their audience, and I think they need to know that their bad decision comes with consequences. 

I think we should not only boycott, but email them and let them know that we're boycotting and why. And then let them know that we will be taking our business elsewhere until they start doing their jobs. 

4 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Excellent job!

I think, first of all, the Dems need to reassess and find a different leader who can be put forward for next time. Hillary Clinton is brilliant, dedicated, hardworking, and would be a great President... but I highly doubt she will ever win. Partly due to the smear campaign of the past two decades, but also partly due to mistakes she and her campaign have made. They seriously messed up by taking Wisconsin and Michigan for granted this time around. And as obnoxious as the constant harping on the emails was, many people honestly feel she never offered up any real explanations either. That's something that will continue to haunt her in the future should she choose to run again.

So, basically, for the good of the nation she needs to unfortunately take one for the team and not run again.

I actually want that for Hillary's sake as well. She's done so much good in the world, and she deserves to be doing something that people will actually appreciate, where they won't be trying to tear her down all the time. 

Although, I fear that the Right is so blind in their over-the-top hatred of her that they're never going to let their vendetta go. I'm already scared for her sake that Trump will try to go after her or the senate will try to do more hearings. 

I do hope we keep our Quiver Full of Politics the next four years, just so we can have a support network, especially for those who are surrounded by those celebrating the victory, while we're trying not to vomit. 

It's not going anywhere. Neither is FJ.

I woke up hoping this was a nightmare. It's still true in the light of day. THE FUCK AMERICA?

4 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I think a media boycott actually would make them take notice. The corporate media cares about one thing and one thing only: making money. They have shamelessly tried to pander to the Right in this election in order to broaden their audience, and I think they need to know that their bad decision comes with consequences. 

I think we should not only boycott, but email them and let them know that we're boycotting and why. And then let them know that we will be taking our business elsewhere until they start doing their jobs. 

I agree. My only concern is how to remain informed on what's happening because remaining blissfully unaware feels good until you wake up in a Dictatorship. If someone has a list of media sources that could be trusted that could help a great deal. You could even add it to the boycott letter letting them know who will be getting your patronage instead.

6 hours ago, Flossie said:

This is so junior high, magnified in the worst way.

I wonder if the people who have felt (rightly or wrongly) bullied have decided to align themselves with the biggest bully of all.  Do they really think that after standing alongside the bully he'll stop all the other bullies?  No, he won't.  He'll feel distain for the worms that crawled to him for protection and grind them under his heel.  And he will go on to bully some more.  But now that the worms in his immediate vicinity are gone, the bully will look farther afield for new people dominate.  And he has nuclear codes.

A fucking idiot with the mentality of a junior high student, massive narcissism, sociopathy, and a chip on his shoulder has nuclear codes and can't understand why he shouldn't use them.

I think you are right, and I also think that what you say serves to also explain why so many people voted for him. It has always struck me as odd that many people use to rather sympathize with the bully, blame the bullied and justify the bullying, even if such a behaviour goes against their own interests. The psychologist and psychoanalyst Arno Gruen imo explained in a brilliant way why this is so. I cannot explain it as well as he, but he basically says that this behaviour is caused by Identification with the Aggressor. Which is in fact really bad news because it means that people who are victimized tend to solidarize with perpetrators, not with other victims (unless they acknowledge their own pain which, unfortunately, is difficult and hard work). That means, a (e.g.) sexist society will automatically produce more sexists, not only among those who profit from sexism but also among those who are victimized by it.

It´s admittedly frustrating news. But I am not saying this to frustrate you further. I know most of you are frustrated. I am frustrated myself. In fact, I have been crying the whole morning. I was rather sure that Trump would win. But I so hoped that I would be wrong.

I just think that the only chance we´ve got – worldwide – is to look at the things as they are, even if they are very bad. And to do the small things that we can do. If you help a person in need, if you stand up to defend a bullied person against the bullying or indifferent majority, you will make a difference. Even in times of war or terror, you will make a difference. Maybe the person you have helped will remember and pass it on. Maybe all the small, tiny differences we all try to make will in the end add up and create a world without racism, without homophobia, without sexism where all people are truly free, equal and happy. Even if it should take a long time, even if I might not live to see it, I still think this is a goal worth fighting for as long as I breathe.

And thank you, guys, for being here! I am not alone in my country with my shock at the outcome of the US election. In fact, even German government officials barely hide their dismay which has not happened before as long as I can remember.

But a friend from the US who lives here tells me that people keep asking him how he can be so crazy as to have someone like Trump as his presidential candidate. (You know how people are, they think in stereotypes...) Poor guy, it won´t get better now – now they will all ask him how he could ever vote for Trump :pb_eek: – never mind that he is as devastated at Trump´s victory as you or me...

So, this forum is a better place for me to come to and grieve. I want nothing of this „we rational Germans and those crazy US-guys“-bullshit. I know people use to be biased, that´s normal. But I cannot take it now, not in this moment of utter shock. I need an environment where ethnical or national or whatever superficial differences don´t divide us. Thank you für providing it. Thank you for being here and sharing. :hug:Nolite te bastardes carborundorum

17 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

I'm really not even sure how the Republicans are going to govern at this point. It's not as if they are a unified party right now. And Trump has been known to try to settle some scores. I'm sure he still holds a grudge against all the Republicans who spoke out against him.

I just wish I had more confidence that those same Republicans will stand up to him in the future. I think they will roll over. But I can't imagine that things are going to go smoothly. 

I'm not sure if all the Republicans in office fighting with each other is a good thing or a bad thing. Does it keep them so busy they don't have as much time to fuck up the country. Or does it just lead to them fucking up the country even more. I have no idea. 

This. Omg. Many republicans hate Trump. 

John Pavlovitz's blog and twitter feed has been making me feel better today: 

https://twitter.com/johnpavlovitz?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

He reposted a blog from April in which he talked about how the one good thing that Trump has given to us is that he has exposed the sexists and racists for who they are, and how you can't treat a disease that you can't even see. Well we can see it now. 

And the twitter feeds of some of the progressive Christians that I follow is showing me that they have woken up and see it too. I do hold out some hope that people within the church are rejecting the power-hungry, racist, sexist hypocrisy of a lot of so-called Christians. And I don't think the church is ever going to be the same again. 

And to be frank, I'm glad I can clearly spot the religious hypocrites now. And I'm also glad I have a pretty clear list of the Christians who spoke out against Trump and stood up to his hatred. It's cold comfort - but it's still comforting in  a way to know for sure where people stand. 

DNC should have never chose Hillary. She will never win. 

10 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

The thing is, is if they were truly die-hard pro-life, they would have voted for Hillary because her policies are more likely to lower the abortion rates while Trumps won't. I do think a lot of this came down to "save the babies!" and the fact that pro-life organizations have effectively brainwashed followers into being mindless and not really looking at the situation. 

Plus, you don't get to claim sanctity of life when you are voting for a guy who says and does things like Trump has said and done. Life is more than fetus, but again, it comes back to people being trained to be mindless and just repeat the anti-choice propaganda. 

How do we make people smart and teach critical thinking skills in the next four years? 

All that matters is babies are born. That's it. A lot if prolifers think the adoption rate will go up for infants. Wrong. 

@VelociRapture, when I had cable, the only network I liked to watch for news was BBC America. I felt that they had less of a dog in the fight and would be more likely to report news from a centrist viewpoint. 

• Destiny locked this topic
  • OnceUponATime unpinned this topic

Archived