IGNORED

"RadicalFemininity," a treasure trove of fundie cliches

Rachel333

4 minutes ago, JMarie said:

http://hebrewhillbillies.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-month-in-review-january.html

Fundies dancing??  At a funeral??

And kudos to her for recalling verbatim her friend's 94 word comment about the funeral.

Oh these fundies like dancing. They have a whole bunch of videos (which I haven't watched) of them dancing. http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/01/27/dance-worship-praise/ and http://radicalfemininity.com/2015/09/21/celebrating-sukkot-with-the-dance-and-a-linky-party/

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Oh these fundies like dancing. They have a whole bunch of videos (which I haven't watched) of them dancing. http://radicalfemininity.com/2016/01/27/dance-worship-praise/ and http://radicalfemininity.com/2015/09/21/celebrating-sukkot-with-the-dance-and-a-linky-party/

It looks like they stole the kind of dancing one sees at Hasidic weddings, although the genders aren't completely segregated. I wonder if the men wear tefllin and such?

7 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It was posted last night on the most recent post on the site, which is a pretty innocuous post about a coffee mug exchange, and the birth control post the commenter references is almost three years old. It would be a huge coincidence if someone who didn't read FJ made that comment right after we discussed the post on FJ.

That poster's (presumably fictional) name is super familiar and I cannot figure out why or where I've heard it before, but I associate it with FJ for some reason.

Great find -- this kind of blog is a rare breed nowadays. I have to admit that a sentence from this post in particular gave me a laugh:

I knew a woman who was sharing that many years ago she was in a church service and was suddenly convicted that her blue jeans were too tight and immodest, so she stopped wearing them.

58 minutes ago, sea_gale said:

Great find -- this kind of blog is a rare breed nowadays. I have to admit that a sentence from this post in particular gave me a laugh:

I'm usually realizing my blue jeans are too tight and immodest after Thanksgiving. So I change to my very modest sweatpants. ;-)

2 hours ago, sea_gale said:

I knew a woman who was sharing that many years ago she was in a church service and was suddenly convicted that her blue jeans were too tight and immodest, so she stopped wearing them.

If she suddenly stopped wearing them in church that doesn't sound too modest. :pb_lol:

I'm looking through that Shining Stars site now. This story is your typical creepy courtship story, but the last sentence in this quote particularly stuck out to me.

I didn’t know anything about this young man other than my father asked me to pray for him. I did and one month later, after filling out a lot of questions and seeing this young mans answers, this young man… Andy is his name…called and asked my father for his permission to court me. Daddy said yes and Andy and I started our courtship.

At this time neither of us had ever met and we didn’t know what the other looked like. We hadn’t seen a picture of each other yet. That would come later. We courted … or rather phone courted, with him being in Idaho and me being in Georgia. Lol … I honestly did not know where Idaho was so I had to go look it up on the internet.

Uh... an adult American woman didn't know where Idaho was? Lol?

Ohhh, that interview was with Brittany Vawser, who we've talked about before on FJ back in the yuku days. She was the one who was laboring for days in a home birth and her mother came and posted on FJ about how worried she was. http://freejinger.yuku.com/topic/7326/Homebirth-worrying-me?page=1#.WBk2LdIrJdg

Edit: This line from this courtship story made me laugh too.

We began courting not long after he and my dad had talked and were engaged in June of 2008.

It makes it sound like her dad was the one who got engaged to that guy, but it's probably not entirely inaccurate as it doesn't sound like she had a whole lot of input in the process.

13 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

It was posted last night on the most recent post on the site, which is a pretty innocuous post about a coffee mug exchange, and the birth control post the commenter references is almost three years old. It would be a huge coincidence if someone who didn't read FJ made that comment right after we discussed the post on FJ.

Thanks, Rachel - I wasn't connecting the dots.

Im with you, I really wish people wouldn't touch the poop.

34 minutes ago, Rachel333 said:

I'm looking through that Shining Stars site now. This story is your typical creepy courtship story, but the last sentence in this quote particularly stuck out to me.

SOTDRT strikes again!

1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

At this time neither of us had ever met and we didn’t know what the other looked like. We hadn’t seen a picture of each other yet. That would come later. We courted … or rather phone courted, with him being in Idaho and me being in Georgia. Lol … I honestly did not know where Idaho was so I had to go look it up on the internet.

1 hour ago, acheronbeach said:

SOTDRT strikes again!

Adult Americans who attended public schools get Idaho mixed up with Iowa and Ohio all the time. Many are also convinced that Idaho is perfectly flat with potato fields from one border to the other. :pb_rollseyes:

Geography is often not our strongest subject as a nation. Sigh.

37 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

Adult Americans who attended public schools get Idaho mixed up with Iowa and Ohio all the time. Many are also convinced that Idaho is perfectly flat with potato fields from one border to the other. :pb_rollseyes:

True, a few years ago I met a younger gentleman from the Midwest, he was amazed that CA wasn't all beach, had snow and mountains and I wasn't tanned. He also was horrified by artichokes, he had never seen one before and thought it looked like a giant bug. 

46 minutes ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

True, a few years ago I met a younger gentleman from the Midwest, he was amazed that CA wasn't all beach, had snow and mountains and I wasn't tanned. He also was horrified by artichokes, he had never seen one before and thought it looked like a giant bug. 

I've come across people who were shocked that California was more than just beaches and Disneyland.

1 hour ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I've got a shirt to help folks clear this up: https://www.raygunsite.com/collections/womens-products/products/ohio

9 hours ago, Cleopatra7 said:

It looks like they stole the kind of dancing one sees at Hasidic weddings, although the genders aren't completely segregated. I wonder if the men wear tefllin and such?

LARP Hasidim?  Just can not fathom that one.....

1 hour ago, ADoyle90815 said:

I've come across people who were shocked that California was more than just beaches and Disneyland.

Right? How could they forget that it also has wine country?!? :dramallama-nanner:

Well, there's Knotts as well!! :-P

9 hours ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

It also has a blazing hot desert! 

Former Mojave Desert-ian here ... 

23 hours ago, Gobsmacked said:

They seem to have a lot more fun than the Robotic Duggars.

Holy dancing is still dancing lol. I can't imagine children not being allowed to dance and move around freely.

22 hours ago, ChunkyBarbie said:

I feel the need to defend the Midwest-we aren't all like that. I visited Northern CA for a family reunion and had to explain to them that we don't ride horses to school. :my_smile:

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived