IGNORED

Counting On Season Two- Part 3

samurai_sarah

3 hours ago, Mela99 said:

It can be time consuming. You deal with weather changes, bugs, plant diseases. Some veggies need assistance - like you have to stake the tomatoes and cut half the blossoms to encourage growth, make sure there's no splits or hornworms, not to mention all the weed control and keeping animals out. This is why I have a a very limited garden. 

It can require a lot of actual work, which is why I assume the Duggars never wanted to

Maybe Jana has sibling-kids old enough for her to supervise them working in the garden. It's a dream, but it would be good for them. Probably though, it's the project of their current live-in tutor.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

I think it might be a case for an orthodontic retainer, like to store it in if he was gonna take one out to eat?

OMG! That's what I was going to say! I don't watch... But that was going to be my smart ass guess. Mwhahahaha! Great minds think alike!! 

33 minutes ago, divadivine said:

OMG! That's what I was going to say! I don't watch... But that was going to be my smart ass guess. Mwhahahaha! Great minds think alike!! 

IDK because I didn't watch either, but this made me laugh.  It reminded me of when I asked my son's orthodontist how long he would be wearing his retainer at night - his response was, 'until his wife throws it out'.  :my_smile:

5 minutes ago, Funwithfundies said:

IDK because I didn't watch either, but this made me laugh.  It reminded me of when I asked my son's orthodontist how long he would be wearing his retainer at night - his response was, 'until his wife throws it out'.  :my_smile:

Haha I wore mine for two weeks. I found it a few months ago and tried to put it in- it didn't fit my mouth at all. 

Props to Jeremy if he still uses his. He's the only person over 17 I know who still has theirs

My son is 18 and living away at college for the first time...I'm not holding out much hope for him making it to the 'wife throwing it out' stage, lol.

I wore mine for about two years, until I was 20. But not long after I started getting lots of damage from grinding at night (which I'd done since I was very young), so I've been wearing an occlusal splint every night for the last 28 or so years.  It's not very romantic!  My husband of 24 years prefers me to wear it though as he describes teeth grinding noise as sounding like glass scraping on concrete.

54 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

I think both of my kids ditched those retainers well before age 21. Does anyone really wear those things forever??

I'm 42 and still wear mine at night. I have a really hard time sleeping without them, I think I grind my teeth a little when they're not in and I feel like my teeth hurt the next day. I need to get a new one made though, the top one's been dropped a few times and is just barely still functional.

Re: gardening... you do NOT need raised beds.  That's just something that's caught on in the pinterest era.  I've been backyard gardening for years, just in the plain ol' ground, with some amended soil or compost.  I've had more luck with seedlings (small plants started indoors) than with seeds straight into the ground.  And I SELDOM water as my friend who is an heirloom tomato farmer told me tomatoes that get watered too much get waterlogged and lose their flavour.  Tomato plants' root systems will go very deep to find water.  I've had plants where the leaves looked really crappy, but the fruit was fabulous.  I wish they'd shown more about the garden!

Edited to add... last year I watered my garden maybe three times, not even kidding.  This year was an outright drought, so had to more.  But daily is ridiculous.  Depends on the vegetable, but tomatoes don't require the water people think they need.

2 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think both of my kids ditched those retainers well before age 21. Does anyone really wear those things forever??

The one on my lower teeth is permanently fused there, so I have no choice in the matter.  If it came out now, I'm sure my teeth would just collapse in or something as it's been there for decades. I've met one other person in my life who has one like this.

The traditional retainer I had for my upper teeth was gone within a few months.... right when I got my first boyfriend.

1 hour ago, scribble said:

The one on my lower teeth is permanently fused there, so I have no choice in the matter.  If it came out now, I'm sure my teeth would just collapse in or something as it's been there for decades. I've met one other person in my life who has one like this.

The traditional retainer I had for my upper teeth was gone within a few months.... right when I got my first boyfriend.

I still have a lower retainer permanently fused to my lower teeth. I've had it for about 30 years. I only had to have it repaired once.

1 minute ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I still have a lower retainer permanently fused to my lower teeth. I've had it for about 30 years. I only had to have it repaired once.

I suppose it's very possible that it isn't as unusual as I think... retainers don't come up very often in conversation, do they?

All my older siblings had removable lower retainers, so that means our orthodontist switched between 1981 and 1984. Not that that tells us much, though. :my_biggrin: Like you said, @scribble, the subject of retainers doesn't really come up very often!

5 minutes ago, scribble said:

I suppose it's very possible that it isn't as unusual as I think... retainers don't come up very often in conversation, do they?

True, my husband and I both have them. I askedthe dentist at one point if they ever come out and was told nope. It fell out twice and I suffered no damage but it felt weird.

11 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

I have one also. It's only on my front 4 teeth on the bottom. I've had it for 23 years. 

25 minutes ago, WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo? said:

All my older siblings had removable lower retainers, so that means our orthodontist switched between 1981 and 1984. Not that that tells us much, though. :my_biggrin: Like you said, @scribble, the subject of retainers doesn't really come up very often!

I got my braces off in 1986 (the day of my senior prom!), and I don't remember being given a retainer at all, if you can believe it.

And with that insightful comment, I have reached 75 posts.  It only took me two years as a member (and another year of lurking), but I finally have access to AYTFJ!  :Yes:

2 hours ago, scribble said:

I have a permanent one on my upper and lower teeth too! My orthodontist was weird and gave my brothers and I both. I don't feel it on the bottom row, but my tongue always rests on the top one

I'm 18 by the way, and don't know anyone else my age who has a permanent retainer

On 9/21/2016 at 11:01 AM, MargaretElliott said:

they have a pretty extensive garden. I wonder Jana actually created and maintains it, but it looks really good, even the tomatoes! Anyone worth their salt hand-waters tomatoes from the bottom, and that's way more effort than I would ever expect from a Duggar.

Maybe it's what Ben does when he is at work???

So this tabloid is saying that there's potentially a new scandal and the Duggar kids want out. I normally realize that this kind of stupid news is made up and don't pay attention to it but what's interesting is that this was on the front page. Anyone know the accuracy of the tabloid Life and Style?

http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/2016/09/duggar-kids-quitting-reality-tv/

They reported Angelina and Brad were getting divorced about six dozen times before it happened.  I guess they could claim now that they were right. 

Finally, a real vegetable garden. I wonder if anyone knows how to cook from scratch with the produce. Or will they just donate it to a food bank and keep buying packaged food? Regardless, I am so glad to finally see them growing things. Now if they could do something about that tower of styrofoam cups next to the home soda fountain. A part of me clenches up every time I see that. 

Can you imagine the mountains of trash they produce? Do they burn their garbage or does it go to a landfill? I can't remember if I've seen any of them recycle. 

(Making my debut here after years of silent smirking.)

Considering that their property is apparently very near a landfill (dump), it seems likely that they take or send their trash there. But this is the Duggars, so who knows? If they can burn their trash and save some money...

1 hour ago, Heedless Hostess said:

Can you imagine the mountains of trash they produce? Do they burn their garbage or does it go to a landfill? I can't remember if I've seen any of them recycle. 

(Making my debut here after years of silent smirking.)

Jim Bob proudly showed off the 2 commercial dumpsters the family uses. It was one of those stupid bragging moments about how different it is to raise 19 kids, where it compared the average family uses 1 trash can and they use commercial l dumpsters. The dumpsters and the paper plates and Styrofoam cups are nothing to joke or brag about.

I see the ratings are back up this week. I hope it is not going to give them another season.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived