IGNORED

Jinger and the Jock- I only wanna be with you!

samurai_sarah

I would think if it were any other wedding she would not have called it "the wedding in November". Usually people ask Are you going to Sally and Mike's wedding. The only other wedding I know is happening in November is Dan and Denna Dillard. 

I read it as "the wedding" as in "the most important/only wedding to your family right now".

So not, "that wedding, the one in November", but "THE wedding, which is in November".

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Queen said:

Oh my. My gf comes from a small village in a part of the county called the Bible belt, after it's American model. We are both 22 years old, and several of her old classmates are already married, some have been for years! Some also have children already. Scary. It is the "no sex before marriage" thing, that is pretty unusual in my county nowadays, except among some religious people. 

I, on the other hand, was raised in the big city. I think maybe 2 out of 120 of my former high school classmates are married! Many of us even wonder if marriage is the right thing for us. Since couples living together have almost all of the legal rights married couples do, why bother ;) (also same-sex marriage becomes legal over here in March 2017!! The parlament passed the bill in november 2014 and now it will soon be legal! Finally.)

I got slammed, trolled and nearly burnt at a figurative stake for pointing out on another forum that the legal rights that come with marriage in the U.S. make it more than "just a piece of paper". 

I am in Nebraska. On the link someone else posted, it had average age of first marriage for women here as 25.4. I probably would have guessed it maybe a year younger, but that sounds about right. I don't think it is a lack of education or career pursuits, though. The percentage of college educated adults here is 44% as of 2012 which is above the national average. I think it is just a cultural norm more than anything else. My guess is that attributing differences merely to education and jobs is probably oversimplifying a more complex reality.  And the women in the circles I have been in and heard these responses all have bachelor's degrees and many have master's degrees. 

4 hours ago, alba said:

I read it as "the wedding" as in "the most important/only wedding to your family right now".

So not, "that wedding, the one in November", but "THE wedding, which is in November".

Yeah that's how I read it as well. 

On 10/4/2016 at 6:21 PM, season of life said:

Interesting how the women are usually younger than the men. Even in real life, rarely do I see an older woman marrying a younger man. So far, I only know this one lady (PhD, 37) engaged to a younger man (MFA, 32).

I know lots of women married to younger men. My sister is 18 months older than her husband, a friend of mine is 4 years older than her husband my old boss is 10 years older than her husband, my mom is 6 months older than my dad (I don't think that really counts).  I have  another friend who is 12 years older than her boyfriend of 9 years (they aren't getting married they both find the idea archaic and unnecessary).  That's just a few that I know of, now my brother and I  he's 10 1/2 years older than his wife and I'm 9 1/2 years younger than my husband. My husband is old enough to be my SIL's father. 

4 hours ago, louisa05 said:

I got slammed, trolled and nearly burnt at a figurative stake for pointing out on another forum that the legal rights that come with marriage in the U.S. make it more than "just a piece of paper". 

I am in Nebraska. On the link someone else posted, it had average age of first marriage for women here as 25.4. I probably would have guessed it maybe a year younger, but that sounds about right. I don't think it is a lack of education or career pursuits, though. The percentage of college educated adults here is 44% as of 2012 which is above the national average. I think it is just a cultural norm more than anything else. My guess is that attributing differences merely to education and jobs is probably oversimplifying a more complex reality.  And the women in the circles I have been in and heard these responses all have bachelor's degrees and many have master's degrees. 

You are not wrong, the benefits of being married make it worth doing for a lot of people.  Which is also why gays lobbied so hard for the right to marry, because without that piece of paper you lose out on tax incentives health benefits, and if the family does not approve of you, you can be denied access to a sick loved one.  

I'm in Iowa and we have about the same education stats, and I agree about more educated people marring later.  I also agree that it is over simplifying.  

I'm four days older than Mr. Wolf, and he never lets me forget he married an older woman.

10 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Typically, people marry much later in the areas such as NY, Chicago, and LA because they are more educated and career oriented. In the south and in Utah, there is a barefoot and pregnant, marry ASAP culture. It completely depends on where you live! This includes the types of wedding people have. If you are fundie or live in the south, it is completely typical to have a cake and punch wedding while you are 18 and still in braces. If you come from a Greek or Italian family, the wedding is usually very ritzy and fancy since it's a tradition. If you are in a metro area and marrying in your late 20s or in your 30s, the weddings will be fancier as they can afford more. It also depends on family size and personality. Some people are private and prefer to have an intimate wedding or go and elope. Honestly, wedding etiquette is completely cultural and geographical!

I'm not sure how to feel about this post. I guess I am not typical according to this.

I am from LA originally, am educated, lived in Oklahoma and got married, at age 25, in a courthouse.

10 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'm four days older than Mr. Wolf, and he never lets me forget he married an older woman.

I'm 36 hours older than Mr. Four, and he never lets me forget it, either!

On 10/5/2016 at 2:35 PM, luv2laugh said:

Typically, people marry much later in the areas such as NY, Chicago, and LA because they are more educated and career oriented. In the south and in Utah, there is a barefoot and pregnant, marry ASAP culture. It completely depends on where you live! This includes the types of wedding people have. If you are fundie or live in the south, it is completely typical to have a cake and punch wedding while you are 18 and still in braces. If you come from a Greek or Italian family, the wedding is usually very ritzy and fancy since it's a tradition. If you are in a metro area and marrying in your late 20s or in your 30s, the weddings will be fancier as they can afford more. It also depends on family size and personality. Some people are private and prefer to have an intimate wedding or go and elope. Honestly, wedding etiquette is completely cultural and geographical!

There also economic factors at play. When you live in an area where a home will run you close to half a million dollars, a lot of younger people really can't settle down young, even if they want to.

2 hours ago, Denim Jumper said:

There also economic factors at play. When you live in an area where a home will run you close to half a million dollars, a lot of younger people really can't settle down young, even if they want to.

You know, this is something I never understood about the Maxwells et al.'s obsession with buying a house debt-free in your early twenties. Mr Alba and I both work full-time in a reasonably-paid field (software development), and even if we lived with parents and had no expenses it would take us four years combined to save up every penny we earn to buy a house debt-free, eight years for either one of us (because, of course, as a fundie daughter/wife I wouldn't have a job).

Then my American friend kindly pointed out to me that there are places in the US, like Kansas, where you really can get a decent house for well under $100k. Now I can see how Nathan bought a house debt-free at the age of 24, when most people I know consider themselves lucky to have a down payment at 24.

Nebraska is decently priced in Omaha and pretty cheap everywhere else (from what I've been told) so I can see why my states average marrying age is like 25 For women. Now at 27, I guess I'm an old maid... Errr,  well as much of a maid you can be with a child ;) 

On 10/6/2016 at 3:45 AM, Bad Wolf said:

I am also 4 days older than the Mr.

Boy am I  late to this party, but thought I'd add my 2 cents, lol

Jeremy is, as far as we know, the first male to court one of the Duggars who meet her semi-organically and makes me hope he loves Jinger in spite of her being a Duggar and not because she is one.

Derrick contacted JB in the hope that they would become prayer partners and then JB told Derrick that he should check out Jill.

Ben fell for Jessa when he watched the show and when on those 4 hour drives to go to church with her.

Jeremy either met them through SOS ministries or Ben somehow made contact with him (I haven't quite figured that one out yet) and met Jinger. So while he is definitely fundie (either to think SOS ministries is a good idea or to give Ben the time of day) this relationship gives me more hope than D+J or B+J ever did that it is really because he fell for her.

6 hours ago, alba said:

You know, this is something I never understood about the Maxwells et al.'s obsession with buying a house debt-free in your early twenties. Mr Alba and I both work full-time in a reasonably-paid field (software development), and even if we lived with parents and had no expenses it would take us four years combined to save up every penny we earn to buy a house debt-free, eight years for either one of us (because, of course, as a fundie daughter/wife I wouldn't have a job).

Then my American friend kindly pointed out to me that there are places in the US, like Kansas, where you really can get a decent house for well under $100k. Now I can see how Nathan bought a house debt-free at the age of 24, when most people I know consider themselves lucky to have a down payment at 24.

Yeah, the only conceivable way I can imagine someone in my neck of the woods buying a home debt-free (assuming they are too young to have already sold a home and the equity was enough to buy another one) would be if someone gave it to them or bought the house for  them. You're not even going to pick up a wrecked foreclosure for less than a quarter million. Pretty much everyone in our social circle (except us) owns a home, every single one of them except the cardio-thoracic surgeon got the down payment from their parents, and all are in debt up to their eyeballs.

On 10/5/2016 at 11:35 AM, luv2laugh said:

I don't know about that. I live fairly close to an area mentioned, and I know quite a lot of people that married young. I married Mr. Kittens at 20, and we have a 2 year old and another on the way (I'll be 22 when this baby is born) he's a commercial fisherman with his captains licence (well educated) and I'm a CNA working towards an eventual CNM. Education & young marriage aren't a "one or the other".

22 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

I don't know about that. I live fairly close to an area mentioned, and I know quite a lot of people that married young. I married Mr. Kittens at 20, and we have a 2 year old and another on the way (I'll be 22 when this baby is born) he's a commercial fisherman with his captains licence (well educated) and I'm a CNA working towards an eventual CNM. Education & young marriage aren't a "one or the other".

It usually is, "College-educated couples tend to get married later in life — according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics — and they have a better idea of what they want and who they are as people."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/want-to-stay-married-get-a-degree-2014-09-29
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/article/pdf/marriage-and-divorce-patterns-by-gender-race-and-educational-attainment.pdf

Here's another tidbit: divorce rates increase if you marry under 25. 

"60 percent of marriages for couples between the ages of 20 and 25 end in divorce.  According to the CDC, in 2011, the divorce rates by age group and gender were: 36.6% of women aged 20-24  38.8% of men aged 20-24

But at 25, something dramatic happens.  Statistics show that the divorce rates plummet by nearly half for both  genders:In states where the divorce rate is high, the average age at time of marriage is low. For example, in Idaho, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, as many as 50% of first-time brides were 24 or younger when their marriage took place.  During 2006 and 2007, the female divorce rate in these states was higher than the national average.  While youth appears to play a slightly less significant role in the divorce rate among men, it’s still a key factor, as evidenced by recent CDC figures."

http://www.maselliwarren.com/2014/03/20/divorce-rates-increase-youre-25/

19 minutes ago, 19Kittens said:

I think that's why @luv2laughstarted the comment with "typically" - meaning, "in general". There are certainly people who do things differently and I think that's awesome - if everyone lived exactly the same way, life would be really boring. But speaking generally, studies have shown that people with higher levels of education do tend to wait longer for marriage and kids. That's how it tends to be in my circle and area of the country (Connecticut, for the record.)

I personally think that's because a lot of couples want to save up or work on paying their student loans first - as opposed to people who enter the workforce right out of high school who can start saving up immediately. 

ETA: Husband and I waited eight years to get married for the exact reason I mentioned - we wanted to feel financially secure enough to start a family before taking that step. But I honestly don't think waiting to marry is necessarily better for everyone or the right choice for everyone. So long as everyone is happy, healthy, and in agreement that's all that counts. 

30 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

I think that's why @luv2laughstarted the comment with "typically" - meaning, "in general". There are certainly people who do things differently and I think that's awesome - if everyone lived exactly the same way, life would be really boring. But speaking generally, studies have shown that people with higher levels of education do tend to wait longer for marriage and kids. That's how it tends to be in my circle and area of the country (Connecticut, for the record.)

I personally think that's because a lot of couples want to save up or work on paying their student loans first - as opposed to people who enter the workforce right out of high school who can start saving up immediately. 

Research has said it's because of financial security, emotional intelligence, and shared interests.
“It appears that the cessation of education, early marriage and early parenthood, you’re set up for relationship conflict, financial stress and dissolution.”  Glass’ theory ties neatly into Naomi Cahn’s assertion that the continuation of education and late marriage (and consequent late parenthood) are the driving forces behind marital success.  
People are postponing marriage until everything in their lives is working ‘in order.’  The order means after you’ve finished your education, perhaps after beginning your career… they’re postponing marriage until they think they’re ready for it.”  It implies that couples who rush into marriage when they’re young — perhaps even fresh out of high school, with limited knowledge of their own hopes, dreams, and capabilities — simply lack the experiential tools to know whether or not they are “ready.”  They marry because their friends are getting married, because it’s what’s accepted by (or even expected in) the community, and whether or not they’re actually prepared falls by the wayside." 

Kay Moffett thinks this may be the root of the problem.  Moffett says, “I advise couples to wait until they’re in their late 20s to marry. This allows for a period of identity exploration and a time to figure one’s self out.  

In fact, people in the south do marry young and they also have a much higher divorce rate.
"In the South, there are higher rates of marriage and higher rates of divorce for men and women, iIn the Northeast, you have people who are delaying first marriages, and consequently there are lower rates of marriage and lower rates of divorce."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/08/25/divorce.bible.belt/

15 minutes ago, luv2laugh said:

It usually is, "College-educated couples tend to get married later in life — according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics — and they have a better idea of what they want and who they are as people."
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/want-to-stay-married-get-a-degree-2014-09-29
http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2013/article/pdf/marriage-and-divorce-patterns-by-gender-race-and-educational-attainment.pdf

"60 percent of marriages for couples between the ages of 20 and 25 end in divorce.  According to the CDC, in 2011, the divorce rates by age group and gender were: 36.6% of women aged 20-24  38.8% of men aged 20-24

But at 25, something dramatic happens.  Statistics show that the divorce rates plummet by nearly half for both  genders:In states where the divorce rate is high, the average age at time of marriage is low. For example, in Idaho, Oklahoma, and Arkansas, as many as 50% of first-time brides were 24 or younger when their marriage took place.  During 2006 and 2007, the female divorce rate in these states was higher than the national average.  While youth appears to play a slightly less significant role in the divorce rate among men, it’s still a key factor, as evidenced by recent CDC figures."

After getting married at 22 I can understand why. The fact is that it is common for couples to grow apart, and marrying younger increases the odds because of the maturing, personal growth, and brain development that continues in one's 20s. Throw in the financial pressures of starting out young, probably not well-established in a career, maybe not being as prepared for the relationship changes that come with adding children to the mix. These are very real factors that can take a toll on a marriage, no matter how well-planned their path is.

Granted, we've been married for nearly 17 years now and are very happy together, but we were very different people at 22, and marrying so young did present us with challenges that our friends who married in their late 20s/early 30s didn't have to weather. We just happened to be in the percentage that grew closer together over time, rather than apart, but,  truthfully, I don't think anyone is more surprised than we are that we made it. I guess it helped that we put off having children (we got married that young in order to pool our resources [re: qualify for more financial aid] and put each other through college, so finishing college was at the to of the To Do list).

5 minutes ago, Denim Jumper said:

After getting married at 22 I can understand why. The fact is that it is common for couples to grow apart, and marrying younger increases the odds because of the maturing, personal growth, and brain development that continues in one's 20s. Throw in the financial pressures of starting out young, probably not well-established in a career, maybe not being as prepared for the relationship changes that come with adding children to the mix. These are very real factors that can take a toll on a marriage, no matter how well-planned their path is.

Granted, we've been married for nearly 17 years now and are very happy together, but we were very different people at 22, and marrying so young did present us with challenges that our friends who married in their late 20s/early 30s didn't have to weather. We just happened to be in the percentage that grew closer together over time, rather than apart, but,  truthfully, I don't think anyone is more surprised than we are that we made it. I guess it helped that we put off having children (we got married that young in order to pool our resources [re: qualify for more financial aid] and put each other through college, so finishing college was at the to of the To Do list).

Spot on. We married at age 20 after dating for 4 years. I was graduating from 2 year college and we were both ready to move out on our own- the timing just felt right.  I don't regret it and would do it again, but it wasn't easy. The first year was great- I took a year off from school and was working a well paying job while we lived in a cheap apartment. Then I went back to school and had to take a lesser paying job to accommodate schedules and well, the stress of school. He tried and dropped 2 different college programs as he tried to figure out what he wanted to do for a career. It set us back financially a few times. Plus since we were married we no longer qualified for financial aid with our combined incomes so it was all out of pocket. He then lost his job twice in one year- both were no fault of his own. It was hard for him to find well paying jobs without a degree. So more financial setbacks, more stress, more arguments,etc. We are both 25/26 now. I graduated and am working in my career field earning a decent salary. He is finishing up school (finally found a program he loves!) and also works in his field now so we are doing well and life is pretty great. Cherry on top would be adding a little one to the mix. 

So anyway, I totally get why the research says marrying after 25 lowers the divorce rate. Not everyone is cut out to handle that kind of stress, along with all the other daily challenges, within the confines of marriage. 

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Research has said it's because of financial security, emotional intelligence, and shared interests.
“It appears that the cessation of education, early marriage and early parenthood, you’re set up for relationship conflict, financial stress and dissolution.”  Glass’ theory ties neatly into Naomi Cahn’s assertion that the continuation of education and late marriage (and consequent late parenthood) are the driving forces behind marital success.  
People are postponing marriage until everything in their lives is working ‘in order.’  The order means after you’ve finished your education, perhaps after beginning your career… they’re postponing marriage until they think they’re ready for it.”  It implies that couples who rush into marriage when they’re young — perhaps even fresh out of high school, with limited knowledge of their own hopes, dreams, and capabilities — simply lack the experiential tools to know whether or not they are “ready.”  They marry because their friends are getting married, because it’s what’s accepted by (or even expected in) the community, and whether or not they’re actually prepared falls by the wayside." 

Kay Moffett thinks this may be the root of the problem.  Moffett says, “I advise couples to wait until they’re in their late 20s to marry. This allows for a period of identity exploration and a time to figure one’s self out.  

In fact, people in the south do marry young and they also have a much higher divorce rate.
"In the South, there are higher rates of marriage and higher rates of divorce for men and women, iIn the Northeast, you have people who are delaying first marriages, and consequently there are lower rates of marriage and lower rates of divorce."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/08/25/divorce.bible.belt/

This is scary in terms of the Duggars/fundies.  The women are raised to be ready to marry-its their main focus.  So they jump right into it after very little time getting to know the other person (and no time on their own getting to know themselves and learning to take care of themselves). And with education and divorce both off of the table, they seem to be setting themselves up for disastrous relationships where they constantly feel bored, unhappy, and trapped, but have to put on a good face (countenance).  I can't imagine how that messes with one's mental state.  

16 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

This is scary in terms of the Duggars/fundies.  The women are raised to be ready to marry-its their main focus.  So they jump right into it after very little time getting to know the other person (and no time on their own getting to know themselves and learning to take care of themselves). And with education and divorce both off of the table, they seem to be setting themselves up for disastrous relationships where they constantly feel bored, unhappy, and trapped, but have to put on a good face (countenance).  I can't imagine how that messes with one's mental state.  

Not a fundie, and I am well-educated, but I know how it felt to put on a brave face, and it was not conducive to good mental health.  I had a hard time in my marriage and am much happier out of it.  

Here's the scoop on Marrying Young:

• It IS geographical. Women who marry young typically come from the south or Utah (heavily Mormon areas). 
    • It's also cultural. In the south and in Utah, there is again, a marry ASAP and be barefoot & pregnant culture.
  • Those that are more educated DO marry later in life. Women who marry young usually do not have a college degree.
    • Thus it is not surprising to me that some have marry ASAP barefoot in braces with a cake and punch parking lot reception and some have fancy, ritzy glamorous weddings that rival Princess Kate's. If you are marrying at 20 vs 30, there will  most likely be a difference in the type of wedding you have. This is why I find it silly to poke fun at people's weddings. It's totally cultural and geographical! 
  • Marrying under 25 increases your divorce rate. Note my above post.

For the record, there are obvious exceptions and these are not typical. This is only what the studies have shown so please don't be offended. This is not oversimplifying a blatant fact. 

The Atlantic did an entire story on rural women who marry young. 
They found, "women outside cities tend to marry earlier, have limited access to good healthcare, and experience higher rates of domestic violence."

Marrying Young:  "According to a 2010 study "Early marriage in the U.S. Why Some Marry Young, Why Many Don't and What Difference It Makes," early marriage occurs most frequently among young adults with low educational trajectories, who come from families with more limited resources. These young adults typically come from rural communities and the Southern U.S.

Rural women are more likely to have sex and marry earlier than urban women according to studies.    Why is this? The less educated you are, the more likely you are to marry young. 53% of women with a high school diploma married by 25 years old compared with 37% of women with bachelor's degrees, according to the CDC. Rural women are less likely to have earned a bachelor's degree or master's degree compared to urban women, according to 2011 U.S. Health and Human Services statistics, priming them for early marriages."

The NY Times reported on something called The Small Town Effect when it comes to early marriage.  Basically, rural areas RULE when it comes to marrying young:

"Less densely populated places seem to promote marriage, The places that discourage marriage most tend to be cities, including San Francisco, Philadelphia and New Orleans, as well as their surrounding areas...spending childhood nearly anywhere in blue America — especially liberal bastions like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and Washington — makes people about 10 percentage points less likely to marry relative to the rest of the country. And no place encourages marriage quite like the conservative Mountain West, especially the heavily Mormon areas of Utah, southern Idaho and parts of Colorado."

Places that make being married by age 26 Less Likely & More Likely
"Utah is worth special attention. It’s not surprising that it leads the nation in encouraging marriage: The state is home to a large Mormon population, which is well known for marrying young. A childhood in Utah, makes marriage 20 percentage points more likely by age 26 than an average childhood in the United States.

By comparison, a childhood in Manhattan, on the other end of the spectrum, makes marriage only 12 percentage points less likely ...by comparison, the Northeast generally discourages marriage for children of all income levels, and the Mountain West encourages it for children of all levels."

Map of where you are more likely & less likely to be married by 26:
marriage2.JPG

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

As long as we're talking about what age everyone's getting married, here's a neat Pew Research graphic on median ages of first marriages: mARRIAGE 1.JPG

It is not surprising that the median ages of marriage are lowest (younger) in the south being Arkansas, Oklahoma, and a combo of the heavily Mormon areas  of Utah and Idaho.  It also does not surprise me that the areas of highest median age of marriage are career-oriented and abundantly educated cities of NY & DC.

The Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/the-particular-struggles-of-rural-women/276803/

NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

3 hours ago, 19Kittens said:

I don't think Luv2Laugh is saying people who marry young have no education, but that areas with higher education demands, the age of marriage going to naturally be pushed back. 

I live in the Washington D.C. area, and in my county 69% of people have a bachelor's degree or higher, and 32% of people have a master's degree. I tell people I just have a B.A. and they look like I just told them I'm functionally illiterate. The educational pressures here are intense, and to be well-educated one needs to have a graduate degree from a top twenty school. 

Getting an MBA or getting through law school is demanding, as well as the early stages of a career in politics, and people who have moved on to marriage and children are going to be more divided in their time. Also, in this area the assumption is that one has "all their ducks in a row" before marrying. (Hell, even our area Mormons get married around 27 or 28.)

So while I know people can get married young and then go on to a lot of educational and career attainment, unfortunately here a 24 year old in that situation is likely in a very competitive industry, competing against 24 year olds who are able to be hyper focused on career attainment only. So I definitely think it can be an uphill battle for the former. 

Granted, it may be different in cities with other industries. D.C. definitely is cutthroat and attracts Type As.

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I'm living proof of that. I know it's each to their own, but I would strongly discourage getting married in your late teens/early 20s. Life changes so much between then and 25. 

In hindsight, I wouldn't have got married at 23. I'm 31, divorced, bitter and cynical..really not the best mindset. But I know with every fibre of my being that it's better than being 31, depressed and stuck in a failing marriage.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived